Best-dressed Warrior

Users who are viewing this thread

Eктωρ said:
Snakey dragon isn't exclusive to East Asian. It's been popularised because people really like East Asian art, but the snakey dragon thing is very old and widespread. For example, the words "worm" and "wyrm" in English are derived from North Germanic word for dragon. Norse had the word "ormr", which survives, at least, in Faroese.

Dreki is the old norse (In modern Icelandic and Faroese aswell) word for dragon but ormr means worm or serpent.

:idea:

09_1158_Book_illustrations_of_Historical_description_of_the_clothes_and_weapons_of_Russian_troops.jpg

09_1157_Book_illustrations_of_Historical_description_of_the_clothes_and_weapons_of_Russian_troops.jpg

1244460277_untitled-80.jpg

They did, outside of "grand celebrations" as Viskovatov calls them.

1156.jpg
1155.jpg

Before 1799 though, they wore a kind of lobster-pot in place of that... whatever that cap with a Victorian roof on top would be called. At Paul I's coronation, they wore full suits of armour. Purely ornamental though.

1151_1152.jpg

06-4.jpg

RIAN_1470936.jpg

And incidentally, the wire "fence" would be hidden under plumage.

Ukrainophobe! Moscow shill! Glory to the heroes, etc. etc.

The Zaporozhians, who became the Black Sea Host, retained this irregular folk dress right up until the late Napoleonic period, actually. Contemporary prints even show them wearing their iconic fore-lock, the khokhol, chub, or osoledets. (One of those words is now a slur) And when the uniform became manditory in 1816, they retained false sleeves on their back in a strange sort of imitation of the split-sleeves they wore for centuries. That visually set them apart from the other hosts until the fashion of the Caucasus came into vogue.

pRrR4CQ.jpg

XRBWjcK.jpg

1tVaUu8.jpg

There's a whole bunch of pictures from cossacks that 'visited' my country in 1813-14 wearing almost perfect regulations uniforms to what seem to be civilian cloths and fur with loose cossack trousers. They also have an impressive amount of different hats - anything from the typical caps to fur hats and ones seemingly made out of straw.

I can show you a dozen period sketches, but I'll just give you my favorite, where a Cossack is doing the one thing no-one can beat them at.

KKFUFDf.jpg

Bluehawk, you're probably the one to know this: Is that officer wearing a regular Russian uniformcoat and bandolier? (with Russian A)

That's probably what the artist saw and meant to paint, but he's a few brush strokes short. What I see there almost looks like Paul's monogram.

Medal and copper two-kopeck proof, showing the monograms clearly
pt39gr.jpg
pt39g.jpg

img_0.jpg

Alexander-era belts with decorative monograms
1_big.png

Aci8mcJ.jpg

I can't even find any surviving belt-cyphers from Paul's reign, and the only illustrations of a device like that in his era are of the Leib-Hussar's leopard pelt's clasp. Maybe that was the inspiration for the later decorations.

%D0%9E%D0%B1%D0%B5%D1%80-%D0%BE%D1%84%D0%B8%D1%86%D0%B5%D1%80-%D0%B8-%D1%80%D1%8F%D0%B4%D0%BE%D0%B2%D0%BE%D0%B9-%D0%B2-%D0%BF%D0%B0%D1%80%D0%B0%D0%B4.-%D1%84%D0%BE%D1%80%D0%BC%D0%B5-%D0%9B%D0%B5%D0%B9%D0%B1-%D0%B3%D0%B2%D0%B0%D1%80%D0%B4%D0%B8%D0%B8-%D0%93%D1%83%D1%81%D0%B0%D1%80%D1%81%D0%BA%D0%BE%D0%B3%D0%BE-%D0%BF%D0%BE%D0%BB%D0%BA%D0%B0-1799%D0%B3..jpg

The pelts and clasps continued into Alexander's reign, and the cypher changed accordingly...
butZ6Pj.jpg

So... I don't know what my initial point was, but my answer is yes, it's an "A. I." for Alexander the First.

djogloc02 said:
Do someone know this painting?

3BiSnO.jpg

Large image - better: https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/298x397q90/908/IlapgE.jpg
IlapgE.jpg
That's title image of a book, I assume? Do you own the book, perhaps it credits the artist somewhere.

Back
Top Bottom