Benefit of a Marshal?

Users who are viewing this thread

Lord Commander Snow said:
What benefit do I get from making someone a marshal?
Your Marshall will gather the army and attack by himself. That means you can more or less trust him to take castles and cities on his own. Without a Marshall you'd have to manage your kingdom's army yourself, and it can quickly become hard to organize.

The smart play would be to figure out which lords make the best marshals. Some take towns, others take castles, some raid villages. It depends on what you wish to accomplish.

Imo, the reason the Ferdies take over is because of the marshal. Really, If they made Inar Hairybreeks the marshal, they would go strait down the tubes. Hamid is great. he musters support and takes towns. Kavian seems to like castles. Household troops are a must too.

The more fiefs you give them, the more troops they respawn with. To a point. I give at least 2 castles with the villages attached. and 1 or 2 by my home base for them to patrol.

AxeMaster3 said:
The smart play would be to figure out which lords make the best marshals. Some take towns, others take castles, some raid villages. It depends on what you wish to accomplish.

Imo, the reason the Ferdies take over is because of the marshal. Really, If they made Inar Hairybreeks the marshal, they would go strait down the tubes. Hamid is great. he musters support and takes towns. Kavian seems to like castles. Household troops are a must too.

The more fiefs you give them, the more troops they respawn with. To a point. I give at least 2 castles with the villages attached. and 1 or 2 by my home base for them to patrol.

Pretty much this Hamid is one of my favorite lords for this reason. He is a monster because he has a lot of  d shar scorp and he is a good marshal. Also if you are a marshal and you can get a lot of controversy which makes you look bad. You can also do whatever you want if you make someone else marshal. I sometimes conquer castles while my marshal is sieging a town.

I feel having a marshal isn't the best way to go in most situations.

Most of the time while your army is sieging an insignificant castle (or worse raiding a village) enemies can happily take over your towns because of the amazingly stupid (and sadly this isn't fixed by any mod) campaign AI. Two armies half a day's ride from each other can siege towns without bothering to attack each other :roll:, and you will lose many fiefs that way. Unless you can take 2500+ with your 200 guys.. and if battlesize is not 400 (mine is 150) you will field 15 guys against 80 in that case.

On the other hand if you are the marshal, you can kite your lords into the enemy army, crush the invaders and siege and take their castles at your pleasure afterwards. All you need to do is order them (every one of them) to follow you every 2 days or so -or many will leave.

I find it easier to have a marshal. Most towns and castles I can take on my own with about 300 people and the right strategy so I don't need to have another 1000-2000 people following me around. Then the marshal can take all those troops and attack another fief with them.

Gr. Adm. Thrawn said:
I feel having a marshal isn't the best way to go in most situations.

Most of the time while your army is sieging an insignificant castle (or worse raiding a village) enemies can happily take over your towns because of the amazingly stupid (and sadly this isn't fixed by any mod) campaign AI. Two armies half a day's ride from each other can siege towns without bothering to attack each other :roll:, and you will lose many fiefs that way. Unless you can take 2500+ with your 200 guys.. and if battlesize is not 400 (mine is 150) you will field 15 guys against 80 in that case.

On the other hand if you are the marshal, you can kite your lords into the enemy army, crush the invaders and siege and take their castles at your pleasure afterwards. All you need to do is order them (every one of them) to follow you every 2 days or so -or many will leave.

200? Unless your fiefs have 0 garrisons that shouldn't be the case. Say you have a town of 300 troops and you have 200. 500 should be enough to repulse 2500 unless its a town or castle that is particularly hard to defend like it has two ladders or something.

Well, if you keep your 300 garrison from huscarls, knights and rangers, and complement them with your 200 good troops, sure you will be able to keep the town against 2500. But they will cost more than the town brings.

I tend to keep my garrison from fodder (anything at or below 6 denars per week at 10 leadership) so I don't defend against sieges, I take them head on in the field. That brings the complication of needing your army with you.

Of course different game styles warrant different options.

Besides, I like my wars in Blietzkrieg fashion. While the enemy is sieging one town I take three; that efficiency and swiftness is not something the AI manages to have.

Correct me if I 'm wrong, but if you are the King of your kingdom, you can ask your lords to follow you just like if you were the Marshall.

Let me rephrase: You don't need to be the Marshall to make your lords follow you around. Even if you are not the Marshall, you can still lead an army.

Nekrataal said:
Let me rephrase: You don't need to be the Marshall to make your lords follow you around. Even if you are not the Marshall, you can still lead an army.
Thats true but you have to talk to the lord and ask them to follow you :razz:.

felixng2011 said:
Nekrataal said:
Thats true but you have to talk to the lord and ask them to follow you :razz:.
True, but for small kingdoms it works. Now, when you start to expand on the map...

I think having a Marshall is only good if you have superior forces.  I once tried making an AI a marshall and he spent days waiting for reinforcements to deal with a siege by an enemy with over 1000+ troops.  My combined armies without me (and even with) would not have been able to muster the same amount of troops as the attacking Empire AI siege army.  It is too much to expect the AI to use complex strategy like trying to make some enemy units follow you so that you can separate the vast 1000+ enemy army and pick them off a few at a time, or waiting until they attack the town and then go in and defend.  Since AI uses autocalc, my Marshall's forces would have lost in that defense anyway.

In short, I think it is only effective making a Marshall when you have superior forces or they will just run away from larger enemy armies or stupidly get all of your forces destroyed by being caught by a larger force. 

I like being the Marshall because it pretty much assures me of capturing or defending a town or castle.  It's hard to capture a town with 500-600 troops even if you can command 300 troops of your own.  Even Honor troops will take huge losses attacking in that case and honor troops are costly and time consuming to replace.  Might as well take an army of 1000+ to siege that town.

This is how i do. I give myself the marshalship in the beginning since most of the time the enemy will attack your town or castle.
I have even seen the AI split their troops and besieging two towns at the same time. Which would otherwise make things pretty hard. Well anyway. I give myself marshalship and defeat all the lords, or at least most of them. When many lords of the opposite faction is defeated you appoint someone else to take over marshalship. Then you can do whatever you like, while they go on the offensive. Remember if your at war with many factions at the same time, you should really be the marshal because if they attack at the same time your pretty screwed since your lords probably are somewhere else with the marshal. If they somehow decided to go on the defensive its also a big chance that they will run instead of retreating back to the castle/town.
Well that's how i do :smile:

I used to be all for being the marshall of my kingdom always. But in my current game, I decide to give the marshallship to Justus Dux [I wanted to do some rep gaining with Singalian Slavers and Eventide Knights  :cool:] and he conquered city after city, not stopping until basically the lords ran out of peasants to command. And he basically conquered the D'shar kingdom [while at the same time at war with the Fierds] without my supervision. I did have quite a few lords on my side though  :lol:

Back
Top Bottom