SP Native Bannerlord Alternative World (Troop overhaul)

Users who are viewing this thread

Eagle114th

Sergeant Knight at Arms
In an alternative version of Bannerlord, the Emperor Arenicos to enact the new major reform that turns pre-Empire army into new type of profesional Legionaries. Later in the era, the empire divided into northern, western, and southern empire. There exists the group that did not like the new major reform of empire professional army, this led to the creation of the Legion of the Betrayed, they prefer old ways of empire.
===========================================================

It have been a very, very long time since I have posted in mount and blade related forum. I remember the old day when first mount and blade game were released, I used to create a few mods for that game, as well for the second title of mount and blade (Warband).

Now I came back to bannerlord to give it next chance, Oh boy, a lot have changed since the first release of bannerlord. I am currently playing version 1.1.5 (As soon 1.2 get released for stable version, I am more than happy to play in that version too.)
However, after playing with Realistic Battle Mod (RBM), along with Open source armour and other mods that comes with this one, I realized something;

There are three seperated emipre and it reminds me of total war Rome when there was three separated Rome empires. I also noticed that there are minor faction (Even though we can not play as minor faction for now, unless someone make mods for that, of course), known as "The Legion of the Betrayed". These legions are baesd on the pre Empire with hastati, Principe, and Triarii.

I wanted to improve both Empire and the legion of the Betrayed, and that is when I realized this; Northern empire faces the factions that are inspired by Celtics and VIkings, western empire faces the faction that are inspired by norman / frankish, and southern empire faces the factions that are inspired by Sultanate and Mongol.

Therefore, what if northern, western, and southern empire troops adapts to the challenges they face geographically. I am using an excellent mod known as little warband, it allows me to design the unique troops for northern, western, and southern empire. I am having a lot of fun with it. With that, at once the troops designs are completed, it is my goal to convert them into a full mod.

The empire troops are mostly based on Rome empire while being mixed with Byzantine with some touches of Hellentic style. Keep in mind, I am NOT being historical with this, instead I aim to stay being lore-frienldy for Empire troops in creative ways. There are two types of troops for the Empires: Core troops that are shared by three empires and unique troop lines that are only available for specific empire (northern , western, and southern). For core troops, all empires have Legionarius, Hastatus, and Cataphractus). However, northern and southern empires have Sagittarius (Archers) while western empire have Balistarius (Crossbow). There are reasons for this and it is covered in short stories as I post the troops tree for each empires below.

NOTE: Please correct if any of Latin names are incorrect. As stated, it is my goal to convert Empire units into Latin version, for am immersive experiences.

Northern Empire Troop tree

Unique troops: Legio Impetum (Two-handed shock troops. After learning about the shocks troops from the celtic / viking inspired factions and in order to implement the byzantine Varangian Guard, the idea came out with this. Legio Impetum means "assaulting Legion" or "Charging Legion". There are stories in this: While facing Battania and Sturgia factions, they noted about the shock troops, the northern empire implemented a new type of troops where they can use shock troops tactically by flanking the army with it while their frontlnie legionareis faces the army. Inspired by the western empire, Legio Impetum are armed with two-handed maces.

(Infantry)

T1 - Legionarius Tiro Borealis
T2 - Legionarius Initiatus Borealis (Heavy Infantry Line)
T3 - Legionarius Cohort Borealis
T4 - Legionarius Primus Borealis
T5 - Legionarius Praefectus Borealis

T3 - Legio Impetum Initiatus Borealis (Shock Troops - Two handed Line)
T4 - Legio Impetum Cohort Borealis
T5 - Legio Impetum Primus Borealis

T2 - Hastatus Initiatus Borealis (Spearmen Line)
T3 - Hastatus Cohort Borealis
T4 - Hastatus Primus Borealis
T5 - Hastatus Praefectus Borealis

(Archer)

T1 - Sagittarius Tiro Borealis (Archer Line)
T2 - Sagittarius Initiatus Borealis
T3 - Sagittarius Cohort Borealis
T4 - Sagittarius Primus Borealis
T5 - Sagittarius Praefectus Borealis

(Cavalry)

T1 - Eques Tiro Borealis (Heavy cavalry line)
T2 - Eques Veteranus Borealis
T3 - Cataphractus Initiatus Borealis
T4 - Cataphractus Primus Borealis
T5 - Cataphractus Praefectus Borealis

Western Empire Troops:

Unique troops:

From the challenges learned from Vlandia, with the nature of heavy armour and cavalry, western empire developed the pikemen troops for powerful anti-cavalry. they are inspired by ancient phalanx techniques from an ancient time. The pikemen are known as Menavliarius.

At the same time, due to the demands of needing for stronger missiles against armoured army, they developed the crossbow units known as Balistarius, which differs from northern and southern empires.

(Infantry)

T1 - Legionarius Tiro Occidentalis
T2 - Legionarius Initiatus Occidentalis
T3 - Legionarius Cohort Occidentalis
T4 - Legionarius Primus Occidentalis
T5 - Legionarius Praefectus Occidentalis

T2 - Hastatus Initiatus Occidentalis
T3 - Hastatus Cohort Occidentalis
T4 - Hastatus Primus Occidentalis
T5 - Hastatus Praefectus Occidentalis

T3 - Menavliarius Initiatus Occidentalis
T4 - Menavliarius Cohort Occidentalis
T5 - Menavliarius Primus Occidentalis

(Crossman)

T1 - Balistarius Tiro Occidentalis
T2 - Balistarius Initiatus Occidentalis
T3 - Balistarius Cohort Occidentalis
T4 - Balistarius Primus Occidentalis
T5 - Balistarius Praefectus Occidentalis

(Cavalry)

T1 - Eques Tiro Occidentalis
T2 - Eques Veteranus Occidentalis
T3 - Cataphractus Initiatus Occidentalis
T4 - Cataphractus Primus Occidentalis
T5 - Cataphractus Praefectus Occidentalis

Southern Empire Troops:

Unique troops; What makes the Legionarius of southern emipre interesting is that they have ligher armour compared to northern and western emipres. Same thing applies to their Hastatus units. Due to the situations of facing strong cavalry based factions such as Khuzait and Aserai, southern empire focus on the moblity. Therefore having lighter troops mean better moblity. However, southern empire also have expanded the cavalry line which offers the archer cavalry, light cavalry, and heavy cavalry to challenge the nomad steppe based factions.

(Infantry)

T1 - Legionarius Tiro Meridionalis
T2 - Legionarius Initiatus Meridionalis
T3 - Legionarius Cohort Meridionalis
T4 - Legionarius Primus Meridionalis
T5 - Legionarius Praefectus Meridionalis

T2 - Hastatus Initiatus Meridionalis
T3 - Hastatus Cohort Meridionalis
T4 - Hastatus Primus Meridionalis
T5 - Hastatus Praefectus Meridionalis

(Archer)

T1 - Sagittarius Tiro Meridionalis
T2 - Sagittarius Initiatus Meridionalis
T3 - Sagittarius Cohort Meridionalis
T4 - Sagittarius Primus Meridionalis
T5 - Sagittarius Praefectus Meridionalis

(Cavalry)

T1 - Eques Tiro Meridionalis
T2 - Eques Explorator Meridionalis
T3 - Eques Scutarius Meridionalis
T4 - Eques Palatinus Meridionalis
T5 - Eques Praetorian Meridionalis

T3 - Sagittarius Eques Meridionalis
T4 - Sagittarius Eques Veteranus Meridionalis
T5 - Bucellarius Palatinus Meridionalis

T2 - Eques Veteranus Meridionalis
T3 - Cataphractus Initiatus Meridionalis
T4 - Cataphractus Primus Meridionalis
T5 - Cataphractus Praefectus Meridionalis

Legion of the Betrayed

I am aiming to expand the Legion of the Betrayed with a few more troops and there are plans to overhaul the equipments of Hastati, Principes, and Triarii.

(Infantry)

T1 - Militum Tiro

T2 - Hastati Vetustus
T3 - Principes Vetustus
T4 - Triarii Vetustus

T2 - Gladiator Tiro
T3 - Gladiator Murmillo
T4 - Gladiator Campio

(Skirmisher)

T1 - Levis Novicius

T2 - Velites
T3 - Velites Veteranus

T2 - Fustibalarius
T3 - Fustibalarius Veteranus

(Cavalry)

T1 - Eques Vetustus

The feedbacks and ideas are always very helpful and I look forward to it!

As soon there are screenshots, they will be posted on the next posts.

Cheers!

Last edited:
As stated above, while working on designing the troops, since there are many of empire armours (Helmet, capes, chest, legging, and gauntlet), it gives this mod a lot of opportuniteis to be used for different units. However, with the limited types of the shields, I am doing my best to find the right shield for each troop lines.

However, northern, western, and southern troops have the different looks for each faction. Northern empire troops have more classic "Rome era" style. Here is screenshot of northern empire legionarius, Legio Impetum, and Hastatus:

(Click on the images to see the full image.)

Last edited:
Northern Empire Archers:

===============================================================================================

Northern Empire Cavalry

Last edited:
Western Empire Legionarius, Hastatus, and Menavliarius. As stated above, the troops of western empire have different looks / styles. They look more 'heavy armored' and medieval looks.

Last edited:
Southern Empire crossbowman troop line.

===============================================================================================

Western Empire Cavalry

Last edited:
Southern Empire Legionarius and Hastatus. Their armors are lighter compared to western and northern empire troops.

Last edited:
Southern Empire Archer

Southern Empire Cavalry

Last edited:
The cavalry for northern, western, and southern empire are being worked on. If you have any ideas or suggestions for an alternative equipment / armors for any troops, please post them here.

Cheers!

Hello everyone, the northern empire archers are updated with different equipments. I am currently doing some additional adjusting and polishing before finalizing northern, western, and southern troops.

Hello everyone!

All equipments for northern, western, and southern empires have been re-worked and polished. They are now finalized. the only thing left to do is to adjust the skills points. I am looking forward working on the Legion of the Betrayed. What surprised me is that I saw slinger equipment, it gives me reasons to create slingers troops for the legion of the betrayed while adding Velites and re-working on Hastati, Principles, and Triarii troops.

Hello everyone!

While I am working on The Legion of the Betrayed, came up with ideas for the troop lines for differnet type (Infantry, Skirmisher, and Cavalry): In order, not to confuse between default bannerlord Hastati, Principes, Triarii and Eques, the name Vetustus is added which mean "Ancient".
The Legion of the Betrayed

(Infantry)

T1 - Militum Tiro

T2 - Hastati Vetustus
T3 - Principes Vetustus
T4 - Triarii Vetustus

T2 - Gladiator Tiro
T3 - Gladiator Murmillo
T4 - Gladiator Campio

(Skirmisher)

T1 - Levis Novicius

T2 - Velites
T3 - Velites Veteranus

T2 - Fustibalarius
T3 - Fustibalarius Veteranus

(Cavalry)

T1 - Eques Vetustus

===================================================================

While re-working on Hastati, Principes, and Triarii, what makes Gladiators so interesting is that they can serve as spear or shock troops. They carry various helmets, shields, and one-handed while carrying one type of polearm. I thought it would be interesting to add Gladiator as an extra flavor to already existing The Legion of the Betrayed minor faction. Skirmisher and Cavalry troops are being worked on.

Here are screenshots:

Legion of the Betrayed Skirmisher Troop line.

Note: Fustibalarius means "Slinger" in Latin. And please correct me if I am incorrect with Latin language.

Keep in imnd, as stated before, I am not going historical, however, the equipment are inspired by actual Vetiles and Slinger during Rome era while adding better armour for veteran troops while staying lore-friendly. And please note that the blue colors of clothes is due to my blue banner. With your own colors of banner, their clothes color will change.

News about this mod project:

The name of the mod is changed since it is based on an alternative version of bannerllord, the story is included on the top of first post.

Back
Top Bottom