Bande of Pike & Shotte - 'The Lucky Dogs' Mercenary Company

Users who are viewing this thread

Alright you Dogs, tonight we march once more into battle. This time we go to war in those lovely new red coates His Honour has been gracious enough to buy for you, so make sure you wear it! We muster at 19:00 this evening outside the inn - don't sink too many pints, you still need to be able to aim your firelock!

An original 17th century ad:

YoOOC.png

Code:
[url=http://tinyurl.com/q52dgyj][IMG]https://tw.greywool.com/i/YoOOC.png[/IMG][/url]
EDIT: now with shorter URL. More flavour, fewer calories!

william2401 said:
Well the Lucky Dogs thread is rather useless then, it basically says here is our clan, now go away cause you can't join
rapier17 said:
Rec1.png~original

Our intention, with recruitment, is to find like-minded people who wish to enjoy the Deluge without being overly serious about playing it, which is why we are intending to recruit purely by invitation. Whilst there won't be any training days/evenings as such, we will 'train' by playing together on public servers and mould ourselves in the flames of battle rather than on the training field.
It is true that one does not simply join the Lucky Dogs, but they do have an "auxiliary wing", the Hoary Hounds, which one could join by contacting Leifr Eiriksson or Rapier17 on Steam.

Also, as far as I know it is more of an exception than a rule for any clan (except maybe in NW :lol:) to accept anyone and anything under their banner.

william2401 said:
Well the Lucky Dogs thread is rather useless then, it basically says here is our clan, now go away cause you can't join
It is not useless. In fact a clan thread (for we are a gaming clan (as well as a gaming/social group away from Warband) fulfills several purposes at once.

Firstly, and most importantly, it registers our presence in the mod. You know who we are with our thread, you can see our theme. It allows us to tell you that we play primarily as musketeers. We've fleshed out our background to our clan through this thread, portraying an English mercenary bande who fight for the Swedish crown as a "sleeve of shotte". We've had a little bit of roleplay (I forever refer to our commander, Captain Digby, as "His Honour" in the Deluge subforums) through this thread and have been able to explore our theme more so than if we'd just not bothered, as well as having a chuckle, a giggle, a smirk and a damned good laugh along the way for the past 2 1/2 years.

Registering our presence as a clan allows us to sign up for events easily by saying "Lucky Dogs, Sweden, 10+" and instantly the event organisers know that the Lucky Dogs are coming to an event, they know we love holding long metal tubes that go boom, that they can expect us to bring about 10 or more people - we don't have to list 10 names each time. It also means that when we host events people know that it's those guys hosting it, that they try to be semi-authentic* within the mod/games confines. When we did our Trayning Muster we did it as the English did at that time (New Model Army, circa late 1640s-50s) - the commands were in the correct English, we took them through firing drills, manouvre drills using those commands, explaining what they were, how some were used historically and why. Without our thread and presence on the forum we could not have communicated that so easily and allowed people to know what to expect from us. Without this thread you wouldn't know who the chaps with the black and white banner with the dogs head are. With our thread you know.

Down to what we will take on to the field. We never take helmets as a musketeer wouldn't carry one - it's heavy, near useless and damned uncomfortable to wear (I know that because I wear one for English Civil War reenactment). Our members must bring a hat to preserve their dignity as, at that time, a man always wore a hat. As a Serjeant, even though I'm terrible at melee, I go onto the field in the Serjeants coate carrying the Serjeants badge of rank - a halberd. His Honour Captain Digby takes the field in his lace and finery carrying the more refined, and gentlemanly, partisan as befits his position as an officer. We both prefer carrying muskets but we take what those of our "rank" would have had.
Our chaps carry 24 'rounds' of ammunition, 12 for their Collar of Boxes (the bandolier) and 12 for their powder flask - English Musketeers carried 24 balls on average - 12 tight fit (made precisely for the musket bore) & 12 loose fit (small for the musket bore). Whilst we carry swords we prefer to go in with the musket butt, as English souldiers preferred in that period because the swords, by and large, were cheap pieces of rubbish.

It gives our clan members a central focus, a hub even. This is our thread, our identity within the mod. If you go back through the pages (which I like to do as they give me a smile and a chuckle) you can see we've used it to remind people of events, to indulge in a little light roleplay, to announce things on occasion - it's a useful way of communicating with our members (alongside our other means - further we're able to drag the net for our chaps with other groups such as our Steam one, the more likely we'll be able to notify our members of things).

As for the "We don't recruit", that is not true. Our first recruit, the first person who joined us not from a former group/clan**, is named on the roster as David Stryker. He was invited to join us before we'd even written out the thread properly the first time in February 2012 - he showed an enthusiasm we instantly took to, he wanted to do pike/musket blocks and he loves this period in history (albeit, more the English side of things as with His Honour Captain Digby & I). We got on splendidly with him and he's now one of our groups key members.

The core members of the Lucky Dogs, from the very start, were from several clans; the Lewes Fyrd clan for Vikingr mod and several Shieldings/Einherjar members (of whom some were former developers for the Vikingr mod) - there were also one or two people who came to us from knowing existing members. We've expanded further than that in the past 2 years and five months and each new member has fitted in perfectly - this suits what we want as a gaming group, as a Warband clan, as a group of friends. There is not one member of our gaming group I would not sit down to drink beer with and have a damned good laugh with them. That's why we're very selective as we're not just a clan, we're a group of bloody good friends.

Such are the bonds of friendship that we've already had one meet up in 2014 (our first) and on the 2nd/3rd of August four of our members, including His Honour Captain Digby, will be joining myself & the Tower Hamlets Trayned Bandes at Skipton castle for some English Civil War reenactment & living history.

You see, Captain Digby & I, indeed many of our members, have been part of big clans, of really organised clans who host/partake in matches/training sessions regularly, who've had enforced "Do this or you're out" policies, who have had open recruitment policies that invariably ended up with a ton of disputes, arguments and drama. Clan's who've had people cling to whatever tiny authority they think their imaginary rank has/had and used it for their own desperate desire to command others or those people who jockey politically for higher ranks. We've all seen that sort of thing, it's left a bitter taste in all our mouths and we can do without it. That's why we don't recruit openly, it's why we don't train regularly or take part in matches, it's why we don't force our members to go to events, it's why we don't have lots of ranks (frankly we'd get along fine without any ranks at all - leadership comes from the person, not the rank), it's why we are who we are and that won't change. Under the header "Where will we go?" is this piece of text, of which not one word has been altered, nor has it been edited, since we first put it into this thread;
Unlike clans we have run in the past, Eiríkr and I intend for the Bande to muster solely for events and to play together as and when we can or want to. There will be no obligation to attend training events, as there won't be any, no demand to give up time to attend events/matches you do not wish to participate in. The 'officers' of the Bande are merely there to give the members direction, to have figureheads the Bande can form and rally upon in the midst of battle, as well as take orders from.

I hope that helps you to understand our position and more of what we are about. I would advise in future that if you are interested in a clan that you do read their recruitment section, especially if it is easy to spot as I believe ours is. It shows a respect to the clan you'd be interested in, showing that you've taken the time to read up on what they have to say and to show that you have sufficient enthusiasm as well as discovering what their actual recruitment policy is, whether they recruit or not and if they do then how.

With respect,
Serjeant R. Flockton

tl;dr summary:

rapier17 said:
I'm terrible at melee

Nay, even if I could have been arsed to write out a response to William's prickly post, it wouldn't have been as well worded, not by a long shot. Also, what Porky said. The Hoary Hounds are somewhat absent in our otherwise glorious OP.

P.S. after a long spell in the countryside, I ought to return to arms tomorrow afternoon or evening.

Back
Top Bottom