Archer's Guide

Users who are viewing this thread

People will have different tools to help themselves get better.  I am sure Crazy_Archer's method helped him get better.  Maybe it would work for others too.  Maybe they have their own methods.  For me, I don't like giving myself an artificial handicap, such as not carrying a melee weapon or not donning armor, so instead I decide to add survival tactics to my game which takes more effort and focus, but yields positive results with my kill to death ratio.

So I'll force myself to constantly pan my camera and/or turn around to avoid being sneaked up on and easily (and frustratingly) killed.  I'll force myself to be quicker when peaking around my cover and getting off an accurate shot, then taking cover again before an arrow or bolt hits me.  It seems like simple stuff, but if you're focused and vigilant in maintaining these tactics, you will perform so much better.  Naturally I am not perfect, and I falter from time to time.  Usually it is when I am first playing for the day.  I'll be lax and just going through the motions, having fun.  Then I'll die two or three times in fairly quick succession and get a little angry.  Then I'll heighten my senses, and step up my game and rattle off a dozen straight kills.  I am sure other people go through something similar like this as well.  The key is to use that bit of anger to motivate you to play better, not get enraged and become reckless, causing you to most-likely die even more.  Become more precise.  Focus your attacks and defense, don't merely spam faster in an attempt to compensate for earlier poor play on your part.

Basically knowing the fundamentals of being a good archer is one thing.  I tried listing most of them in this guide.  Actively utilizing these fundamentals is another, and it takes both practice and sustained effort.  Everyone will learn their own little tricks over time, that they find effective.  I wanted to mainly focus on discussing the fundamentals, since I think they are essential.  Yes, they seem basic but, again, that doesn't mean that people actively make use of them at all times.  Adding up and actively using all of the fundamentals at one time isn't an easy task to maintain.  I find it challenging to constantly keep aware of my surroundings, find the next best target, and make proper use of cover while still maintaining my normal rate of fire with precision in those shots.

I'll try to add some more advanced tactics soon but, for you new archers out there, make sure you master the basics.

The Archer.
You love or hate them.

They are a great part of the game, but at times I really find them the cowards who do not seek a fair fight (I guess this was a common thought in the past. Hey, they even cut off the fingers of captured longbow men).
Let me repeat; at times. The dimension that there are archers around is a factor that makes you aware that danger on the battlefield is always around. In teamwork, you can not do without them.

So great OP, very useful. Thx.

Yep , archers are very needed in every battle but in  battles 9 out of 10 they break before heavy cavalry  charge if not supported by some infantry.

Edit: Or they should break , in M&B they just stand around and let themselves cut down  :grin:

Its not as if anything else he can get in the first round would do much better. And if they're dumb enough to charge straight at an archer, they probably won't be much of a threat anyway. :wink:

damn I've been TKed quite a bit by the archers that I've been trying to defend. When you see your inf move in close range to the enemys' stop firing cause the dance of death is likely to ensue, but sometimes if the fight is in a stale i will back off a bit and turn the enemy to give the archer a clear shot, so keep your eye on the fight.

archer support is appreciated in close range fighting :smile:

mate, try to be careful... even very good archers shoot their teammates sometimes. Try to make the enemy turn their back on your archers and try not to move between then enemy and your archers. It's not their fault when you put yourself between them and the enemy.

Nice guide. One simple thing that is probably flamingly obvious but worth mentioning: If you're playing a nord/sarranid/vaegir archer and you plan on picking up a shield from the ground during the round (which is usually a good idea), don't buy that second set of arrows, and leave a weapon slot open. That way you can just grab the first shield you see off the ground and not have to do the wierd weapon-pickup dance.

Arcas Nebun said:
mate, try to be careful... even very good archers shoot their teammates sometimes. Try to make the enemy turn their back on your archers and try not to move between then enemy and your archers. It's not their fault when you put yourself between them and the enemy.

Thats what I meant to say I do, I think my english just wasnt so well. The TKs are only frustrating when you and some others have the situation under control and the archers still try and help kill the single enemy

In my experience it's easier to kill another archer than it is to make a kill in a melee. All w do is make the guy spaz out then you melee guys kill steal him  :mrgreen:.

ARCHERY GUIDE ADDENDUM

USING COVER

Identifying good cover is an essential skill for any would-be archer, and can be the difference between winning and losing in team games, and compliments the archer's range.

There are two main reasons for cover;
1. Protection
2. Arrow recovery

The first can help in many many ways, such as;
1. Defense against cavalry
2. Defense against other archers

DEFENSE AGAINST CAVALRY
A patch of small rocks or even a tree will break a cavalry charge, allowing you to let loose on the horse as it comes to a stop.

DEFENSE AGAINST OTHER ARCHERS
By keeping an eye on incoming missiles, you can let the enemy fire away at you - and retrieve their arrows for use!

Great guide, thanks.

I just want to add one more thing, it's quite obvious, but I often see a lot of players make mistakes there:
If You are an archer and in a ranged duel with crossbowman, NEVER step out of your hideout in the same place, for crossbowman can wait for you for a long time without reticle going bad.
So if you are hiding in a ruins for example, think for yourself 2-3 spots from where you can hit your opponent and just randomly choose one of it to jump out and make a shot.
Also try to reposition yourself while crossbowman is reloading, to find a place where you can see him better.

But actually crossbowman is one of the hardest opponents for an archer to duel, unless of course he's on an open field. but if he is - he's no serious threat anyway  :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom