An bumpmap/specular conflict in specular_shader_skin_bump_high

Users who are viewing this thread

Lav

Sergeant Knight at Arms
I'm observing a weird issue with normal and specular maps.

I've been trying to adapt a couple of models from pino69 Armor Pack. All textures are encoded as DXT3 there, but since alpha-channel is not used anywhere, I converted them to DXT1 to save file size. Once that happened, specular map ceased working completely, resulting in a dark grey model.

With some experimenting I've managed to prove that it's normalmap who is the culprit. When the normalmap is saved as DXT3, everything works fine. It doesn't matter if I'm using original normalmap or re-convert DXT1 version back to DXT3. Diffuse and specular maps work perfecfly fine as either DXT1 or DXT3 and don't seem to influence the result in any way.

Item is using the same specular_shader_skin_bump_high shader as tons of vanilla items, and all flags on all textures, materials and items match vanilla items which work perfectly fine with DXT1 normalmaps.

Interesting that when I disable the bumpmaps in OpenBrf, specular map starts working correctly. However, unlike the "black item" issue with DXT3 normalmaps, this issue persists in the game as well - i.e. the game shows the dull item version.

Unfortunately my level of expertise with textures and shaders is on the level of trained monkey, so any help would be welcome.

Download the archive with test files.

DXT3

35n2c6a.jpg

in the sun
1jky2a.jpg

DXT1 with changed numbers

21axxrm.jpg

in the sun
rmqrzr.jpg

slightly different spec
2m275lj.jpg

DXT1 brighter mail
2cynp6e.jpg

they kind of look the same, what do you want different?

Hmm, weirdly enough, everything works now for me.

Perhaps the fact that I'm currently on a different machine helped?

So it seems to be a hardware configuration issue. Oh well, was too quick to panic. :smile:

Back
Top Bottom