A Shield Lying on the Water -- Moved to MBX

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
That sounds interesting ex, I will try it, read the rest of your post and then post a more detailed reply.

Damnit, if my computer wasn't on the fritz, I'd send you the source I have for my Empires mod, and see if you wanted to work together. :mad: :cry:

Merentha said:
If I recall correctly, you were asking about a Fire Emblem mod.  And Im american, too.  :cool:

Yeah, I had the FE4mod concept; the legal issues just bothered me a little too much...

Roborob: Don't worry too much. I *wrote* all that over the period of a couple of days, so feel free to read it over the same timeframe. I hope it rewards the reading.

Stonewall: What did this Empires mod involve? I've been going solo so far (obviously enough), but I don't want to rule out collaboration in advance. Have you looked at ASLOW in depth yet? (Well, no, it's ten minutes after I posted... :razz:)

(Blimey, that's a bad colon-p smiley...)

Well, I didn't read all of that, yet :wink: However, I downloaded the mod, and within two minutes I must tell everyone that I think we have a winner here. Just talking to my Steward, and I think this mod is going to turn out fantastic.

One techincal item: Upon starting the game, there was a 10 second freeze-up while trying to enter the closest town. It happened twice.

HardCode said:
Well, I didn't read all of that, yet :wink: However, I downloaded the mod, and within two minutes I must tell everyone that I think we have a winner here. Just talking to my Steward, and I think this mod is going to turn out fantastic.

Thanks!

(Edit: By the way, if you've got a wife or concubine from the beginning of the game, you _did_ talk to her too, right? She's over to the left of the steward. I plan on making stats for all of these characters equivalent to those of a PC at the same level -- this hasn't been done yet for all of them, though.

At the present, with the storyline not even begun, there's no reason to choose to be single in the opening menu choices. There will be in the future -- the potential to contract an even better diplomatic marriage at some later point in the game, or even -- *gasp* -- remain single! -- but as of yet, this is the only M&B mod I know of wherein you can be married, so why not take advantage of it? :grin:)

One techincal item: Upon starting the game, there was a 10 second freeze-up while trying to enter the closest town. It happened twice.

Yeah, this is an issue -- that freeze-up is the merchants stocking up. Merchants store items based on a calculation of cultural influence for their cities, which involves a non-trivial number of script calls, repeated four times per city, repeated eighteen times for the number of cities in the game. There's not much that can be done on my side, barring a very different and less flexible, _Last Days_-style implementation; I'm hoping for Armagan optimizing the script calls.

By the way, module_triggers.py holds the offending code blocks...

Lord Jaden said:
can your paraphrase all of that for an american please? :lol:

ADD version:

New setting. Fictional society. 19th-century Orientalism meets Pearl Buck. You can take over cities. :grin:

(Edit: Forgot the smiley.)

dagorkan said:
So what's been implemented in this first release?

Troops, city engine (with patrolling 'tax collector' parties, raiders, recruiters, foragers, etc. to produce money, garrisons and military parties to spend it), new item set (smaller variety of items than the original, though, with no axes or crossbows and a rather 'gamey' progression of upgrades), diplomacy (Stone Age but a bit more advanced than the original game's), programmer-modifiable cultural influences reflected in soldier/weapon types in taverns, and so on...

(Edit: I hope this doesn't count as double-posting -- it's the same thread, but different conversations within it...)

Mine contains eight new castles (ten in all), new troops, new conversations, industrial buildings, and the potential for "research"--chu-ko-nu's, samurai, gunpowder troops, "catapults" and "ballistae" for castles (guys throwing rocks and very fast, very damaging javelins), and customizable caravans carrying castle-specific items (try saying that ten times fast:razz:).
My vision is to leave the vanilla game alone, yet put new castles that the player can take control of.  Then, they build industries and get items essential to empire.  Once there are items in the castle stockpile, you can start shipping the necessary goods to different parts of your empire (so that the player can't just control one castle and rule the world), to build better technologies and recruit diversified armies, to fight already-established kingdoms like the Swadians and Vaegirs.
If the mod gets completed for the vanilla map, I'd like to make it possible for the player to expand North past the sea, onto a new continent, to the West across the river, and to the East out past Khudan, with each new map holding new enemies, new innovations, and new castles.
I had hoped to be done with an early example of what I wanted to do by now (I've been out of college since mid-May), but working fifty hours a week and having my computer poop out on me has made it difficult.
However, once I buy a new motherboard (some good can come out of working:razz:), I can access my files again, and I'd LOVE to work with someone else.  I'll read your post now, though I might have to go to bed soon (gotta get up at 5:30 in the morning:razz:).

OK I played it. Looks very promising. Is the any of the RPG storyline in yet? The beginning plot says something about the king coming but nobody wants to tell me about it.

I played a non-noble, Lun hostage/mother, administrator type.

played it for about half an hour, looks very promising. currently having trouble with freezing for about 5-10 seconds on the world map for some reason. besides that theres not much other problems i encountered yet.

just a question, does choosing the beginning have any influences on your character in the game?

kaiser said:
played it for about half an hour, looks very promising. currently having trouble with freezing for about 5-10 seconds on the world map for some reason. besides that theres not much other problems i encountered yet.

just a question, does choosing the beginning have any influences on your character in the game?

Looks like it influences stats, skills and faction relations, at least.

Wow. Its nice!  It is very well done, but the error hard code "announced" is a little annoying. Congrats to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom