Recent content by Gremlin7775

1. Gremlin7775

Ridiculously low damage?

Rallix said:
    Gremlin7775 said:
    I never specified Minie ball. I ment your basic lead ball.
    American Civil war rifled muskets almost invariably fired the Minie ball. Lead balls themselves, again, are about the same weight as and around the same caliber as a twelve gauge shotgun slug. They also tend to fly at similar velocities.

Again, not a deathray. Very deadly but a bad hit is still a bad hit, and long distances can weaken its power considerably.

You do understand around half the weapons in the American Civil War didn't use minie balls right..?

Also, why relate it to a twelve gauge when you can just. I dunno. Relate it to the proper ammunition?  :lol:
  2. Gremlin7775

Ridiculously low damage?

Docm30 said:
    The damage on muskets is huge.

Not huge enough I guess
  3. Gremlin7775

Ridiculously low damage?

Rallix said:
    Gremlin7775 said:
    Now, I don't usually play this card, but on this situation, I will. As a reenactor of the American Civil War these balls do not just go right through you leaving a hole the size of the initial ball itself. These are soft lead, the entry hole every time will be roughly the size of the ball, but as it is inside you (dragging in whatever it hit into your body) the ball begins to flatten and to roll, making the exit wound absolutely massive. Roughly the size of a softball. Also, because it is low velocity, if it hits a bone, it wont break it. Instead it will shatter it. Leaving it unrepairable.

So you're telling me if it misses vital organs it's very likely it wont kill you?

That's not the way this ammunition is designed, sorry. Should be a one hit kill unless said target is around 170m away.
    Well firstly, the Minie ball is not quite the same as a musket ball. The Minie was a much more effective shape, and it was spin stabilized. But even Minie balls failed to kill at times. I'd say that there are plenty of hits you can make with even a rifled musket loaded with minie ball that don't involve immediately killing or incapacitating your target.

A proper shot in the chest will definitely down a target, but simple flesh wounds are not deadly.

You can't really accurately measure firearms damage in games fairly using a simple point system. Real firearms follow the laws of physics and the best way of measuring their capabilities is with a locational damage system ala Red Orchestra.

I think a musket has good enough damage when it can be relied upon to kill in a hit. And it can in this game, unless you're using a 60 damage weapon.

Also, Protip Solid: Don't use hunting musket on Grenadiers. This only makes them angrier, and does not kill them. They feel insulted when shot by a weak hunting load. You must oblige them with a full powder load.

I never specified Minie ball. I ment your basic lead ball.
  4. Gremlin7775

Ridiculously low damage?

Nope. It isnt
  5. Gremlin7775

Ridiculously low damage?

Gewehr98 said:
    Gremlin7775 said:
    Rallix said:
    So, 80 damage from a musket shot is what you'd call low damage?
    I mean, let's subtract effective armour from that, since this is pierce damage. Pierce damage tend to ignore about half of armour, so with the standard 23 armour clothing we can estimate that damage is about 67 to the body on an average hit.

But there are other factors, such as whether the target is moving towards you or you towards him which has some effect, then there's distance traveled to target which does in fact have an effect on warband projectile damage.

So assuming that both the firer and the target are standing still, and that the hit is point blank with an 80 damage musket, and the target has 20-25 armour, there will be a damage result of about 65-70 to the body.

Base health is 35 HP with 0 STR and 0 Ironflesh, so the minimum of 65 HP requires either 30 STR alone, or 10 IF and 10 STR, or as the player who intends to get shot may build his character, 18STR and 6 Ironflesh.

With this you can survive a single musket shot, assuming it doesn't hit you in the head in which case you have no chance at all without cheating or using decreased damage.

So the only guys I expect might not die to a standard musket shot are Curassiers of French or Austrian variety, or a very lucky elite Grenadier.

Muskets kill in one hit with 80 damage every target who would be expected to go down in a hit.
    The average STR for most AI units is around 10.
    That's 45 HP assuming no Ironflesh. This target will likely die to a single pistol shot according to the rules above, and that's often what I see play out in fact when I shoot a highwayman.

All this seems pretty fair to me. The fact that I have to lower the difficulty to not die every single time I get shot is reason enough for me to suspect that ranged damage is more than high enough.

Finally, large caliber ball ammunition is not quite the deathray you seem to think it is.
    Shot placement is everything and always has been. You shoot a man in the arm with a lead ball and... now he has a hole in his arm the size of that lead ball. It doesn't necessarily kill him.
    The same can be said of bodyshots which do not strike vital organs.

Now the man has two options. He can seek medical attention or he can keep fighting with his wounds, as men often did.

People do not seem to understand that a standard ball round of any type, modern or otherwise is nothing more than a small piece of metal going very fast. It will often go straight through a man if it doesn't slow down fast enough, and even if it does stop, lead balls do not deform or fragment usually unless they strike bone.

It's no different from a smoothbore shotgun slug. One simply has more modern manufacturing techniques and more consistent powder charges for more accurate shot groupings.

Hit the brain stem or brain and you have instant death.
    Hit the heart, lungs, or liver and you've got a definite fast kill.
    Hit the spinal column and you have incapacitation.
    Hit a large blood vessel and you have a fast and probably mortal wound, but not necessarily incapacitation.

Now, I don't usually play this card, but on this situation, I will. As a reenactor of the American Civil War these balls do not just go right through you leaving a hole the size of the initial ball itself. These are soft lead, the entry hole every time will be roughly the size of the ball, but as it is inside you (dragging in whatever it hit into your body) the ball begins to flatten and to roll, making the exit wound absolutely massive. Roughly the size of a softball. Also, because it is low velocity, if it hits a bone, it wont break it. Instead it will shatter it. Leaving it unrepairable.

So you're telling me if it misses vital organs it's very likely it wont kill you?

That's not the way this ammunition is designed, sorry. Should be a one hit kill unless said target is around 170m away.

Or at least one shot incapacitate

If you're lucky
  6. Gremlin7775

Ridiculously low damage?

Rallix said:
    So, 80 damage from a musket shot is what you'd call low damage?
    I mean, let's subtract effective armour from that, since this is pierce damage. Pierce damage tend to ignore about half of armour, so with the standard 23 armour clothing we can estimate that damage is about 67 to the body on an average hit.

But there are other factors, such as whether the target is moving towards you or you towards him which has some effect, then there's distance traveled to target which does in fact have an effect on warband projectile damage.

So assuming that both the firer and the target are standing still, and that the hit is point blank with an 80 damage musket, and the target has 20-25 armour, there will be a damage result of about 65-70 to the body.

Base health is 35 HP with 0 STR and 0 Ironflesh, so the minimum of 65 HP requires either 30 STR alone, or 10 IF and 10 STR, or as the player who intends to get shot may build his character, 18STR and 6 Ironflesh.

With this you can survive a single musket shot, assuming it doesn't hit you in the head in which case you have no chance at all without cheating or using decreased damage.

So the only guys I expect might not die to a standard musket shot are Curassiers of French or Austrian variety, or a very lucky elite Grenadier.

Muskets kill in one hit with 80 damage every target who would be expected to go down in a hit.
    The average STR for most AI units is around 10.
    That's 45 HP assuming no Ironflesh. This target will likely die to a single pistol shot according to the rules above, and that's often what I see play out in fact when I shoot a highwayman.

All this seems pretty fair to me. The fact that I have to lower the difficulty to not die every single time I get shot is reason enough for me to suspect that ranged damage is more than high enough.

Finally, large caliber ball ammunition is not quite the deathray you seem to think it is.
    Shot placement is everything and always has been. You shoot a man in the arm with a lead ball and... now he has a hole in his arm the size of that lead ball. It doesn't necessarily kill him.
    The same can be said of bodyshots which do not strike vital organs.

Now the man has two options. He can seek medical attention or he can keep fighting with his wounds, as men often did.

People do not seem to understand that a standard ball round of any type, modern or otherwise is nothing more than a small piece of metal going very fast. It will often go straight through a man if it doesn't slow down fast enough, and even if it does stop, lead balls do not deform or fragment usually unless they strike bone.

It's no different from a smoothbore shotgun slug. One simply has more modern manufacturing techniques and more consistent powder charges for more accurate shot groupings.

Hit the brain stem or brain and you have instant death.
    Hit the heart, lungs, or liver and you've got a definite fast kill.
    Hit the spinal column and you have incapacitation.
    Hit a large blood vessel and you have a fast and probably mortal wound, but not necessarily incapacitation.

7. Gremlin7775

Ridiculously low damage?

nilloc93 said:
    the bayonet animations are a KNOWN ISSUE
    try using the search function and realize this has been discussed many times and is being worked on

*cough* NOT WHAT THE ENTIRE THREAD IS ABOUT CUPCAKE *cough cough*
  8. Gremlin7775

Ridiculously low damage?

Bah, I just feel frustrated that the AI is still quite dumb and lacking more than anything. I understand its alpha, but.. Still a bit of a let-down. Same with how they go about enlisting. As a low rank I'd prefer you be attached to the army itself, like Freelancer (as if we haven't heard this one enough) and the damage system, is quite bad. I know several people that have the same issue as I, all with damage on normal for both player and allies
  9. Gremlin7775

Ridiculously low damage?

General K said:
    Have you set your a settings in warband for the player and NPCs to take FULL damage? Same applies with A.I settings to get the best out of this mod.

Yes, I have.
  10. Gremlin7775

Ridiculously low damage?

Am I the only one getting ridiculously low damage on everything? I mean, if a .75 caliber ball rips through your sternum, pretty sure you're dead. But all I get when I point blank a guy is an "AGH" and he just walks it off.. Same with swords and bayonets, you sit there jabbing each other for...
  11. Gremlin7775

AI Formations + Freelancer/Conscription

Burdy said:
    Hello,

Been enjoying the mod - but feel as if the absence of Freelancer and Formidable enemy/competent friendly AI really hamper the experience. AI in combat (especially with multiple lords) is useless and combat reverts to just a cluster of bayonets in the center of the map. Proper PBOD w/ each lord commanding there own line (making multiple lines) would really help the joint-op battles (as Caladria Imperial Age does it).

Also, any reason why Freelancer is excluded? Feel as if when you join the Army at first, you should be given a free uniform and assigned to a lord until you reach a high enough rank, then given recruits to lead (free of charge) - as opposed to being given the faction flag, a ****ty rifle, no recruits (unless you pay for them), and allowed to do whatever.

Finally, a little feature I thought of - maybe when you start off and create a character, have an option to be a citizen in one of the factions? Being a citizen will allow you to have a base income of X a month - and the catch twenty-two would be that from time to time you would be drafted and conscripted for X amount of days whenever the faction is in a war and needs men/in a losing situation. Accepting the draft would be the same as signing up as a troop in my above suggestion, and declining would give you negative relations with the faction. Just an idea.

Anyway, keep up the hard work Doc!

Cheers,
    Burdy

+1
  12. Gremlin7775

Strategic AI and Lord Parties

Sir_Newton said:
    The main problem atm imo isn't the behavior of lords on the overland map as much as it is the behavior of armies during battles. yes the overland behavior needs to be addressed but only after napoleon's elite guard line up like proper soldiers instead of blobbing up and spreading out like newly recruited light infantry

Agreed
  13. Gremlin7775

1st Texas Recruiting!

Regiment Disbanded
  14. Gremlin7775

1st Texas Recruiting!

I'll do it later. Now does anyone want to join?
  15. Gremlin7775

1st Texas Recruiting!

Any recruits?
Back
Top Bottom