[Suggestion] Ready and Block Positions - In-game Pictures of Suggested New Poses

Users who are viewing this thread

New one-handed ready positions are in the first post.

New two-handed polearm ready positions are in this post, on the first page.

New one-handed thrust for spears (and possibly swords) in this post, on the first page.

New two-handed polearm thrust ready positions in this post, on the second page.

New ready positions for two-handed swords in this post, on the second page.

New high block position for two-handed swords in this post, on the third page.

A full tutorial for making and implementing animations using free software can be found in this thread. No prior skill in modding or animating is required to follow this tutorial.

Introductory rambling:

For some time, I've had a mild dislike for some of the "ready positions" for melee attacks (the "chambers" that are taken up by the character when you hold the attack button). One problem with some of the ready positions is that they look like they'd be uncomfortable to hold static. Therefore, I think the current ready positions should be replaced by new positions which look comfortable, but which still clearly imply a particular attack direction. Such positions are common in armed combat arts.

Rather than describing them in text or trying to find adequate pictures from the net to provide a visual reference for them, I decided to try animating some new ready positions myself. With the help of this tutorial, by the forumite known as dreamterror, using Softimage XSI Mod Tool 7.5 to pose the skeleton, and after some (horrendous) fiddling with text files, I managed to replace several of the ready positions from version 1.011 of M&B.

So, with minimal further jabbering, here are some comparison screenshots. The ones on the right are the current ready positions from Warband, and the ones on the left are new poses in version 1.011 which are of the style that I suggest should be used in Warband. Note that I'm not suggesting that my actual poses be taken and put into the game. I do not consider these new positions perfect (I'll name some flaws later). Therefore, since replacing ready positions is relatively straight forward for me now, suggestions for tweaks (or even completely new poses) are more than welcome, though some things might be beyond my skill (or offensive to my sensibilities). So far I've only replaced one-handed ready positions, and I'm planning to move on to ready positions for other weapons - so feel free to say which other poses from Warband you think are high priorities for adjustment or replacement.

New ready positions for one-handed weapons:

The lower pictures within each spoiler are my first attempts shown beside their Warband equivalents.
newonehandedhighswordth.jpg

thrustsidecomparison.jpg
alternativenewslashrigh.jpg

slashrightfrontcomparis.jpg
overswing3rdpcomparison.jpg

overswingsidecomparison.jpg

For all of the new ready positions shown in this thread, I'm imagining that there would be a bit of pullback before the strike. That is, the attack would not go forwards directly out of the ready position, there'd be a bit of a chamber first. Warband already does this with some attacks, including overhead swings with two-handed swords and polearms.

Note:

~ These changes to the animations are purely aesthetic. Animation changes require no functional changes. Weapon statistics (reach, speed, damage) need not be changed, and I am not proposing any changes to these. (I know that's probably obvious, but I thought I'd state it just in case.)

~ The discomfort in the game's current ready positions comes mostly from the wrists (most visible in Warband's overhead) and shoulders (most visible in Warband's thrust). You can try assuming the positions in the pictures yourself. You should find that the new positions are a lot more comfortable, and could reasonably be held for a decent length of time.

Anticipated criticisms of the new poses (mostly from myself):

~ Only the right arm varies between the new positions. I could easily have varied other things, but I wanted clear comparisons. Plus, the right arm is the only controversial bit really.

~ The head position is a bit off, and the face looks almost quizzical. This was an unintentional result of an experiment. In future, I'll just turn the head so that it faces the opponent squarely, and maybe angle it down slightly if that looks right from the opponent's perspective. Getting the head position absolutely perfect is a bit tricky, because in M&B, eyes don't track objects or characters. Also, there are no situational facial expressions, as in other games. Still, a head that faces squarely forwards should be more than adequate (and to be clear, is not at all difficult to achieve).

~ The shield is in an unrealistic position. In a proper guard, the shield would of course be raised so that it was still defending the body. I lowered it because, in game, the characters are vulnerable while attacking. (Also I just realise now that the same pose is used shielded or not, so with no shield, the left arm might look a bit odd.)

~ The poses don't look as aggressive – they don’t look as if the character is facing off with an enemy. I think the overhead position does not suffer from it as much (probably because the character is more “forwards”). In future, I’ll try putting more weight on the front leg, and just generally making the pose more aggressive.

~ The poses are too formal and clean. I think this is somewhat the case. In future attempts, I expect I’ll be able to make some changes to help that (more aggressive posture, angling the weapons differently and so on).

~ The animations are fine and this is a non-issue! Maybe so, but I think they can be improved. We’re all here to improve the game. Can’t you be more constructive with your criticism? Just get off my back, alright!

Expect more poses in the future. Feedback and suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for the comments.

Right now, the main thing to look at is the swordarm - which I think is definitely better in all the replacements. I'm less and less satisfied with the body posture though. It's all basically "correct", but my replacements tend to look like statues (statues doing the right thing), as opposed to their Warband counterparts which look like fighters (fighters doing the wrong thing).

I'll probably post some more by tomorrow - an alternative version of the right-to-left, and maybe some re-posturing for the thrust and the right-to-left to make them look a bit less like statues.

Kamos32 said:
Currently I just don't how you could get as much thrusting force out of your suggested thrust technique.

ya, he's holding it in a fashion where you couldn't use many muscles for a thrust. Its more like a knife attack with the character holding the knife wrong. I think the other two are an improvement though

Papa Lazarou said:
I'm planning to move on to ready positions for other weapons - so feel free to say which other poses from Warband you think are high priorities for adjustment or replacement.
Polearm L to R swing
Polearm R to L swing
Polearm Overhead swing

@CtrlAltDe1337 - I suppose that you totally don't see all of the impossible or awkward elbow positions in the current animations. If you try to replicate the current stances, you'll find that they are extremely ineffective. Getting combat anims right is definitely a priority.

Adjusted versions of the right-to-left and thrust:

alternativenewthrustsid.jpg

I might redo these from scratch at some point, using better reference pictures. The thrust arm positioning was particularly tricky, and probably something I need to reference again, though the essentials of it are correct I believe. (The references I used for the stuff in the first post were actually pictures of myself taken from the front and from the right side - apparently I wasn't mindful that I'd need to make it look like I was actually facing an opponent.)

Seawied86 said:
Kamos32 said:
Currently I just don't how you could get as much thrusting force out of your suggested thrust technique.
ya, he's holding it in a fashion where you couldn't use many muscles for a thrust. Its more like a knife attack with the character holding the knife wrong. I think the other two are an improvement though
As far as I know, what I've done is more or less proper form according to fencing manuals from the period. If you try holding the position that's in the game at the moment (elbow above wrist), you'll find it less comfortable I'm sure. Remember that this is a thrust aimed at the chest, neck, or head. It's not an underarm thrust. The muscles involved are pretty much the same regardless of the starting position.

In fact, think of throwing a high punch - your elbow is certainly not above your wrist. Draw back your fist for a high punch, and you're pretty much in this thrusting position, except that your palm is facing downwards rather than outwards.

That said, I'm not too happy with the arm position of the thrust. My main purpose here was to roughly show the technique that should be used, not exact positioning. Wrist above elbow is much more comfortable for a position that threatens a high thrust. Remember also that these are not chamber positions. Like any other static positions, holding these is not really intended to build power for a strike.

I considered posing an underarm thrust as well, since it's more intuitive for the blocking system (attack coming low, block low). I expect an underarm thrust also looks less strange to a layperson, and I'd guess they were more common historically. The only problem I can see with a low thrust is that it might be too difficult to see it coming.

Fei Dao said:
Papa Lazarou said:
I'm planning to move on to ready positions for other weapons - so feel free to say which other poses from Warband you think are high priorities for adjustment or replacement.
Polearm L to R swing
Polearm R to L swing
Polearm Overhead swing
Thanks, Fei Dao. I think I will look at these next (though I'll have to guess more as to what "proper" form is). I originally planned to do two-handed ready positions next, but now I remember that they need to be used for axes as well as swords (eek).

I expect I'll have some basic polearm stuff out by this time tomorrow.

Edit: First post updated with new one-handed right-to-left pose. Polearm poses later today.

New Polearm Ready Positions:

newpolearmoverswing.jpg
newpolearmslashleft.jpg
newpolearmslashright.jpg

I think the first two would be improved if the pole was held further from the point. With the tip close to the hands, not much pole extends backwards, so the forward posture looks unbalanced. I might shift the grip away from the point - the overall pose should look better then.

Originals from Warband:

warbandpolearmoverswing.jpg
warbandpolearmslashleft.jpg
warbandpolearmslashrigh.jpg

The new right-to-left position is the biggest improvement in my view. The arms especially look nicer like this (and there's nothing strange about swapping grips with the sorts of attacks we have in M&B).

Frankly I rather enjoy the "caveman/crazed maniac prepared to squish something" pose currently performed with polearms. :p

The screenshot above seems to turn it into some kind of overhead thrust, but that doesn't make sense considering that some overhead polearm swings (awlpike) do blunt damage instead of the usual peircing. (Was this changed from SP? I distinctly remember cleaving enemies in half vertically by the dozen in siege defenses in SP. Vertically swinging the awlpike killed almost anything and it made a slicing sound, not the "thunk" sound it makes now when it does blunt damage- And it made sense to me, since you can still logically cut into people with the end of an awlpike [which has a tip shaped like an arrowhead] if they are at the right distance)

My overhead position is supposed to be a swing, not a thrust. It probably looks a bit like a thrust or poke because the grip is quite a bit too close to the spearhead (so there's much too much haft below the hands). I am considering posing a high thrust though.

I'll see if I can quickly tweak the grip, so that the butt is closer to the hands. Should look better.

Okay, couldn't work out how to do that! I think the right hand position on the staff can't be changed by a simple reposition (or I've just made some little mistake). Just imagine that the butt is closer to the hands - about a foot from the right hand - and the point is out in space a fair way behind the head.

Now, in your right-to-left and left-to-right poses, the hands are reversed on the shaft of the spear. Is there an animation somewhere that shows the hands reversing the grip? Is that even possible?

The hands don't actually "swap", in that the right hand stays stuck to the weapon in exactly the same place at all times. The left hand is irrelevant, and can be posed however - it's not stuck to the weapon at all. So, I just moved the left hand so that it gripped the haft below the grip of the right hand. The game automatically blends the animations so that the left hand leaves it's normal position on the haft and takes the up the position seen in this pose.  Version 1.011 of M&B already has a right-to-left polearm swing animation that worked like this.

Really, the right hand should grip further from the point/head of polearms, and the hands should probably swap places for the right-to-left swing. Unfortunately I can't actually work out how to change the point at which the right hand grips. The weapon can be moved in the animation editor, but doing so seems to have no effect on the weapon's position in-game. I expect the position of the right hand could be changed, but I don't know how to do it, and I can only guess that it's not done with simple reanimation.

Edit: Here's a new one-handed thrust for spears and swords. Same pose used for both.

newonehandedthrustsword.jpg
newonehandedthrustspear.jpg
warbandonehandedspearth.jpg

The key differences here are at the elbow and wrist of the right arm. Basically, Warband's elbow should be open wider, and the wrist should be in a more neutral position. The spearhaft and forearm should form something close to a right angle. They should certainly not be parallel (unless maybe you're using the forearm to support the weight of the spear, I'm not too sure on that). Again, if you try assuming these two positions, you should find my replacement a lot more comfortable.

I'm not suggesting that the underarm thrust should necessarily be used for swords, but I thought I'd show it anyway. Blocking this thrust is more intuitive, though it might not look quite as cool I guess.

Edit2: Another note I've added to the first post.

For all of the new ready positions shown in this thread, I'm imagining that there would be a bit of pullback before the strike. That is, the attack would not go forwards directly out of the ready position, there'd be a bit of a chamber first. Warband already does this with some attacks, including overhead swings with two-handed swords and polearms.

Love these poses. The only one I'm a little bit unsure about is the high 'adjusted thrust', which looks seems awkward to me. I'm testing out thrusting using a various objects, and thrusting with my elbow above my wrist feels monstrously uncomfortable. A high punch feels more natural for that position, oddly -- I think it's the outward-facing the wrist that makes the difference.

I really like the new poses, but I'm not so sure about the thrusts either, so no comments/indifferent to these. Good job with all the animations, keep it coming :smile:.

Brilliantly demonstrated point, PL. :smile:

There needs to be a balance between exaggerated movement to broadcast attacks and make them blockable and realistic convincing animations that help the feel of the game. The current ones aren't too bad, but they do break the immersion and fluidity of combat a little.

Wow you are goooood!!!  :shock:

I didn't like your sword thrust at all since you dont thrust a sword from up high but then you come out with the thrust from down low animation and its brilliant!The last set of animations looks way realistic and ruins what Warband has now sadly.There are a few that could use work but some are perfect now.

Back
Top Bottom