Unarmed fighting?

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

GreenKnight

Recruit
Alright, I know some of my other ideas tend to get shot down as unrealistic, but how about this one? It seems to me that if your character happens to be unarmed (I'm mostly thinking of an archer who gets cornered in the arena.) with an enemy soldier bearing down on him, it would be useful to be able to throw a punch. I know that bare hands against swords are a pretty uneven contest, but I've been assured that a punch to the helmet was a perfectly realistic move in a medeival duel, and with chain mail protecting you, it seems like you might have a shot. It'd be a last ditch defense, with a better than average chance of failing miserably, but still better than sitting there and just taking hits until you die. Obviously, it would have limited reach and damage, but perhaps that could be compensated for somewhat by increased attack speed? Obviously, it would be useless against mounted knights; unless you're Conan, or perhaps Mongo, punching out a horse is hardly realistic, but I think it'd at least be fun to try and simply pummel a sea raider into unconsciousness. Or that constable in Zendar. After you complete that River Pirate quest, he just gets surly with you. Hurts my feelings, it does.

If you get really close to an enemy, swords are fairly useless. Especially if the guy you are trying to slash has armor.

Right, that's what I'm thinking. The jerk with the sword hacks away at me every time I try and get a shot off, so instead, I just rush right at him, and treat him to a hard right cross. As for blocking with your arm, I don't see why not, provided you're wearing chain mail. Granted, it'd probably be a bit like using your arm to block a baseball bat, but maybe if you used your arm to push the blade aside as it comes down instead of just taking the blow full force (Like people have been guessing you do with the shield as you spend more points on that skill), that might help. It should probably still hurt you somewhat, however.

GreenKnight said:
As for blocking with your arm, I don't see why not, provided you're wearing chain mail. Granted, it'd probably be a bit like using your arm to block a baseball bat, but maybe if you used your arm to push the blade aside as it comes down instead of just taking the blow full force (Like people have been guessing you do with the shield as you spend more points on that skill), that might help. It should probably still hurt you somewhat, however.

would that ability go under the "conjones" skill? :lol:

The damage and reach should be very limited.

NO blocking. Seriously! If you block a swordblade with chainmail-clad hand, the hand will be broken, meaning worse-than-desired outcome of the fight.

You should only have a chance if your opponent is near-dead!

Not a bad idea, I mean, blocking. If you do, you'll get a reduced amount of damage (say, half), unlike the blocking with weapon.

Wrestling would be interesting (it is very common in medieval combat manuals, even wrestling between two mounted opponents. The aim is typically a lock or an entry move to unarmoured portions of the body - some even involve locking an opponent and lifting his visor with your sword hand for a thrust to the face), but implementing it would be difficult with the current system, I believe.

okiN said:
+
Ingolifs said:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Common suggestion redirection sheet.

This sheet contains commonly suggested features to M&B, and most of the relevant threads that discuss the suggestion.
The threads are (sort of) ranked in order of relevance, and quality of the discussions. Any additions/suggestions to this form are welcome.
First of all, there's the sticky at the top of the page right here.

Multiplayer: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Dropping cargo and goods to make yourself faster: 1 2 3

War loot is of too high quality: 1

Camping: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Stamina and fatigue: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Whistling for your horse 1 2 3

Various ideas on expanding tournaments, etc: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Being able to see the health of your horse::1 2 3 4 5

Sieges: 1 2 3 4 5 6

More advanced troop tactics, formations, etc: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Playing as a bandit/joining bandit faction: 1 2

Shield bash: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Heraldry: 1 2 3 4

Gloves: 1

Dual wielding: 1 2 3

Gore: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

World map features, roads, ruins, forests, etc: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Sheathed weapons visible on player: 1 2

Unarmed/fisticuff fighting: 1 2 3 4 5

Hunting and animals: 1 2 3 4 5 6

More heroes, enemy heroes and hero abilities: 1 2 3 4 5

Item durability and degradation: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Ambitious suggestions on overall gameplay and storyline: 1 2 3 4

Other commen suggestions threads: 1

And finally: read this before posting any suggestions

Thankyou for your cooperation.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
=

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom