A shield is a shield all the time!

Users who are viewing this thread

Vilhjalmr said:
What we need: Constant, passive shields, shield bashing, center-grip shields.

That is all.
Not all.  We also need shields that only protect in one or two directions.  For instance, a nomad shield should really only block one direction at a time.  Basically the only difference between that an no shield would be that the nomad shield can stop arrows, and you should be able to block and attack at the same time.  Heaters and large shields would block two directions at once, so their blocking axis would be an X instead of a cross.

yes, balance...

Shields should have a collision area the size of the model.  And the AI should be able to 'see' that your character collision box is covered -say- 75% by the shield, and aim at the uncovered portion.  This would make the weapon variety more important too. 

Also, the idea of morale would be needed - else the battle would become a shield-wall grinding machine as everyone fought to the death -
Rather than this, troops (all sides) should potentially break and run, or back away in a fighting retreat to try and find a better position, or to reach the edge of the battlefield and disengage and run....

Umm, not really a shield issue, sorry.  But at some point, it does all interact.  Game ToE.

Amman de Stazia said:
yes, balance...

Shields should have a collision area the size of the model.  And the AI should be able to 'see' that your character collision box is covered -say- 75% by the shield, and aim at the uncovered portion.  This would make the weapon variety more important too. 

Also, the idea of morale would be needed - else the battle would become a shield-wall grinding machine as everyone fought to the death -
Rather than this, troops (all sides) should potentially break and run, or back away in a fighting retreat to try and find a better position, or to reach the edge of the battlefield and disengage and run....

Umm, not really a shield issue, sorry.  But at some point, it does all interact.  Game ToE.

yeah, it really does come together. If you implemented morale, you'd need the other two from the holy trio as well. (bleeding/wounds and stamina/charge)

A weapon is also a weapon all the time. But if I hold my 2 handed sword of war in front of me ready to stab, that river pirate will still impale himself on the blade just to get at me with his knife. What a dedicated bandit he is.

I have a suggestion about shields, but i don't know whether it has already been suggested or not. So i decided to post in this thread. (Sorry if it is the wrong place for that)

1) AI must use "shields up" by default always. Current AI just don't use shields when it is necessary. Hopefully it wil be fixed anyway.

2) As optional feature that you can turn on/off in options menu
Currently when you make a swing your shield goes down and don't supply any protection. My suggestion is that shield would not go down and act like in usual "shield up" position. So that making a swing would not uncover you. Shield must go down only in the moment on strike. It would make battles more challenging, in my opinion.

3) The new functionality can be added to "Shields" skill using my previous suggestion. This skill could give the actual opportunity to cover yourself while swinging. For example at Shields=10 while swinging you are always covered, at Shields=0 you are always uncovered, values 1 to 9 shorten the period of vulnerability - at start of swing you uncover yourself but while holding the swing your shield gets up again.

So this my suggestion. Is it worth posting in the new thread?

with this new version of mount and blade seems that the uniqueness of shield graphics and marks have been tossed out. very bad move  should put in some style on the shields like the flags

Maxter said:
I have a suggestion about shields, but i don't know whether it has already been suggested or not. So i decided to post in this thread. (Sorry if it is the wrong place for that)

1) AI must use "shields up" by default always. Current AI just don't use shields when it is necessary. Hopefully it wil be fixed anyway.

Currently when you make a swing your shield goes down and don't supply any protection. My suggestion is that shield would not go down and act like in usual "shield up" position. So that making a swing would not uncover you. Shield must go down only in the moment on strike. It would make battles more challenging, in my opinion.

Well its only natural that when you swing you loose some cover, but if the shield always gave protection, not only when you block, then you could position your body when your charging a swing so it stils block

Maxter said:

Shield Protection Should Be Constant and Partial.
I don't know why this thread keeps getting bumped with Rathyr's pretty much obsoletes it.

pesja said:
Well its only amateurish that when you swing you loose some cover
Fixed.  It's hard to take someone seriously when they talk about "charging a swing".  "Ima chargin mah zweihander!  Shoop da woop!"

Really? Why is that? Tell me what words to use instead then. Be a little informative instead of negative

I agree with the original post. Shield was and should be used to cover the body from arrows all the time and from melee blows during certain positions. One handed weapon+shield animations are even historically correct (when readying weapon for downwards blow character covers his chest with the shield, ect.), though shield just won't work at this moment. Why?  :neutral: Shield protection might be less than 100% at those stances - though it still should benefit the fighter. 

Sahran said:
This came to mind as I saw my lancer bring up the shield to cover some of his torso, as he couched his lance -

Right now, if your shot from the side, even if it's hitting the area your shield is, it's registered as a hit. Your shield is useless and meaningless, unless your character brings up block. I've found it far more useful to simply take a bastard sword along, and whip out the shield only to get in range.

What I'd suggest is having the shield keep up a permanent presence on the character, being it's own object instead of just dead weight unless you press right mouse button. If characters could also sling the shield on their back, it would prevent damage from a slash or pierce to your back, but would still interrupt You. For mounted knights, the couched lance with shield would allow them the chance of deflecting the famous arrow shot a'la Crecy (If that was the battle), just as they are nearing the archer.

A compromise might be the inability to do the famous 'I can block everything attacking me from the front and sides with mah shield'.

Let shield be functional all the time would be fun. But it will be a pain when you find out that it's going to take forever to kill one single enemy.

imsorry said:
Let shield be functional all the time would be fun. But it will be a pain when you find out that it's going to take forever to kill one single enemy.

This won't be the case if the shield is given other realistic properties. The list includes:
1) Having chance of not blocking the atack, depending on stance, shield coveragre, skill and atacker's weapon (e. g. flails are especially good at bypassing shields, though not implemented in the M&B yet).
2) Being sent staggering/knocked down with a strong blow to the shield. 
3) Being hit with a piercing blow through the shield (I think that siege crossbow bolts can easily penetrate most light shields and get to the target with limited damage, ect.).

This is quite enough to balance use of shields and not to allow them to become "super-weapon". Though shields really ARE very effective at protecting from atacks, the case why they were used at all. The whole armies were armed with shields + one handed weapon - not two handed weapons - and there is a reason for it.

lumikant said:
Has anyone gotten the "Hit Shield on Back" message recently?
Some dedicated people did perform a experiment on this in earlier versions. It seems that the shield on the back does have some deffensive effect. They even made a chart or something to show how different shields would provide different reductions on damage.

Yea if anything hits your shield on your back, a message appears saying ''Hit Shield On Back'' so no damage is done to you.

Back
Top Bottom