Download link and main info! [latest ver 0.0.82e -- 19 Jun 2016]

Users who are viewing this thread

Update!

From the first page...
ver. 0.0.53 (7 Apr 2011) 
- command to compute Ambient Occlusion!!! (and store it as vertex colors)
  -- under "settings" there is now an option to tune how light/dark it is.
- command to tune colors of selected mesh(es) (contrast, hue, saturation, brightness)

First point: so now there is this command to compute Ambient Occlusion (AO) over the mesh, and store it in mesh per vertex color. Usual way: select one or more mesh, right click, pick the corresponding option.
I'm not saying it is always perfect but if often gives very decent results.

Digression about Ambient Occlusion, in case you didn't know... in short, it is a good approximation for a global (and diffusive) illumination. It notoriously tends to rock when applied to static scenes. Basically it consists of precomputed very soft shadows cast by everything over every other thing. The effect is as if the scene was illuminated by an uniform "from every direction" illumination, e.g. as if by a cloudy bight sky, which maybe doesn't sound too exciting, but actually adds a lot to the realism of the scene. Sometimes also referred to as sky-dome lighting.

It works especially well with static sceneries, like houses etc. The result is stored per vertex, so you might experience suboptimal results if your meshes are too coarse. Be aware that computing AO overwrites any previously defined per vertex color on the mesh.

Important advice: if you have combined meshes, you'd better apply AO after you selected all the pieces, so that the illumination will be consistent with the lot. E.g., every submesh will cast (very soft) shadows over other submeshes.

AO can be computed at various shades of light/dark. Under "settings" menu, you can pick the one that better suits you.

@GetAssista: apologies that I'm including this only now! I know how much time you spent to include AO by other, more time consuming, means!

The second point is just what it seems: a command to tune contrast, saturation, hue, and brightness of any selected vertex colored mesh. This can also be used to re-tune AO, among other things.

mtarini said:
@GetAssista: apologies that I'm including this only now! I know how much time you spent to include AO by other, more time consuming, means!
Hoho, no problem! Thank you very much! :smile:
I was not able to make Meshlab compute AO for a set of meshes with different materials, and now I have it in OB. Splendid!

Incredible and unexpected at the same time. You never disappoint. Just tested the ambient occlusion and I'm pretty sure that right now our community editor is far better than the TaleWorlds app. By far.

The realtime color tuning is frankly awesome (note the underated word). You should get payed for this.

GetAssista said:
I was not able to make Meshlab compute AO for a set of meshes with different materials, and now I have it in OB. Splendid!

BTW AO in MeshLab s slightly different... in Meshlab the AO is independent on surface normals, while in OB it is. So if you change the normals (e.g. hard edges) the result will be different (under this aspect AO in OpenBRF is technically more correct, but also maybe less robust to bad data).

Other (minor) differences is how light is distributed.
(secondarily, just because I'm lazy, AO in OB is not fully deterministic. If you recompute it you might end up with slightly different results).

These are mostly choices. If you notice that you prefer the results in ML, let me know.

Swyter said:
I'm pretty sure that right now our community editor is far better than the TaleWorlds app. By far.

Do we have any info about this "official" BRF tool?
Anyway, I would be surprised if OpenBRF wasn't used in TW as an additional tool, as well as many other community developed tools.

I don't see why they wouldn't use OpenBRF, it is free and open source.  Anyways, great job, I really love the last update.  (I say that because I have no idea what AO and color tuning do.  :razz:)  I love the drag 'n drop! 

So, update

From the first page:
ver. 0.0.54b (8 Apr 2011)   
- command prompt option: you can make openBRF load all the brf in the module
  and dump all found names into a text file,  without opening the GUI (intended for devs of Mod tools)
  See under "module support" features above for more info!
- buxfixes (hue slider in color tuning dialog)  (ver 0.0.54b)

and, specifically, in the "Module support" features:
  • Dump module content from prompt:  if you exec qutemol from the command line (or a batch file) like this:

Code:
    [b]OpenBRF.exe --dump[/b] [i]<module_path> <file.txt>[/i]
    then OpenBRF will not open the GUI, but instead it will scan the module BRFs (the ones listed in ini) and dump all the names of meshes, materials, animations... etc into an easy-to-parse text file. This is intended as an help for other mod tool, e.g. to add auto-completion or error checking in these tools.

The dump feature was suggested by [dunde] and [Swyter], both authors of great module system support tools!

The produced text file should be immediate to parse.
I've chosen to make just one file with all info inside, just easier and cleaner.
Eventually, I've opted to keep just the name of the complete mesh for composite objects (e.g. "castle", instead of "castle.1", "castle.2", "castle.LOD1") because that's the way that object is referred to in .py files.

The hue slider problem (now fixed) was reported by [swyter].

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Bolkonsky said:
(I say that because I have no idea what AO [...] do.  :razz:)

Maybe someone who used the new AO feature already could post a few before-VS-after shots for others to see...

(PS: in general, I understand that OpnBRF cumulated lot's of functionalities which can be a little obscure for many users, or even be missed at all by others. I wonder if a separate thread should be started about using OpenBRF , with mini-tutorials, "show-your-result" screenshots, and shared experiences.)

mtarini said:
So, update

From the first page:
ver. 0.0.54b (8 Apr 2011)   
- command prompt option: you can make openBRF load all the brf in the module
  and dump all found names into a text file,  without opening the GUI (intended for devs of Mod tools)
  See under "module support" features above for more info!
- buxfixes (hue slider in color tuning dialog)  (ver 0.0.54b)

Restless effort. You're my new hero. Checking it right now. Just tested it. Working better than expected. This is going to be epic.
Prepare for more awesome tools. You're going to have so many apps that you would wish to have modded Stalin Vs Martians :smile:

PS: Jerkuh, some contributors and me are doing a Mount&Blade Modding Wiki.
We can write some cool OpenBRF guides. Or even an entire section, this worths it. Find it here:
http://mbmodwiki.ollclan.eu/wiki/Main_Page

mtarini said:
Bolkonsky said:
(I say that because I have no idea what AO [...] do.  :razz:)

Maybe someone who used the new AO feature already could post a few before-VS-after shots for others to see...

(PS: in general, I understand that OpnBRF cumulated lot's of functionalities which can be a little obscure for many users, or even be missed at all by others. I wonder if a separate thread should be started about using OpenBRF , with mini-tutorials, "show-your-result" screenshots, and shared experiences.)
Doesn't make much of a difference to me, anyways.  I'm just a code monkey.  I got 3ds max on a student license, but the most I made with it was a wall.  :razz: 

The mesh list, however, I can definitely make use of.  Thanks for that!  :grin:  I'm beginning to see possibilities of batch imports, renaming, etc. 

((just updated the exe in the repository, with *very* minor fixes (it didn't tag document as "modified" after mesh colors were tuned). No big need to re-download if you already did))

--------------------------------------

Bolkonsky: ahah, ok...

I might as well share the a few screenshots myself,  from the experiment I did when I programmed AO. Tests made with meshes from native (which sometimes came with their own per-vertex color, but I didn't use that).

ao0.png

ao1.png

ao3.png

ao5.png

ao6.png
ao6b.png

ao7a.png
ao7b.png

Left: no color-per-vertex. Right: color per vertex computed by OpenBRF as AO.

Put in words, the surfaces which are not much exposed (as they are hidden, covered, behind other stuff) become darker than surfaces which are well exposed, because less light is assumed to reach them (a little light is assumed to come from all directions, except from below). Note for example the stair example, where the top steps receive fewer light. Corners become a little darker, as they are less reachable by light also.

As you can see from the last two examples, it kinda works for interiors too.

Tested out the latest version.  Very cool.

Couple of things about the AO:

1.  Does it bake it into the skin?  If not, could it be made to do so?
2.  Could you have an option to use a universal sphere for the raycasts, for things like weapons, which don't have the same alignment with "up" as figures, and need a more general treatment of AO?

HSL tool:
1.  Contrast doesn't seem to work until I run an AO pass.
2.  Needs sticky on the sliders for setting the range back to zero (I know, being picky, sorry).

On both tools, Undo would be really nice.  I can see some newbie doing mass AO on their stuff, messing up a bunch of it, and not realizing that they've hosed a bunch of work.

Just got back from seeing AO testing in-game.

Mtarini, has anybody reminded you that you're a genius lately? 

I'm about to process all of the Taleworlds stock buildings with this AO, because the results with facegen, armor, and everything else was so incredible that I literally can't imagine not doing that.  It literally transformed the realism of the entire mod's graphics, especially the character faces (with AO, they get pretty close to current AAA standards, could probably get there with better skin normalmaps).  Weapons are a pain in the butt, but I'm working through it, because it's obviously going to be worth it (yeah, the lighting will be wrong a lot, but it's really not as noticable as having better feel for light, and this gives all of my stuff using atlased textures a huge bump up).

The Taleworlds vertex AO on the buildings (I presume this is where you got this trick) isn't nearly dramatic enough, and your AO results are superior, in terms of shadows.  I am stoked, I am about to get a major graphics upgrade out of this.

thanks xeno, glad you like that this much!

Minor update... from the 1st page:

ver. 0.0.55 (8 Apr 2011) (minor update)
- you can now select (in settings) whether when computing Ambient Occlusion
  light should be assumed to come mostly from above, or from all directions

This was suggested by [xenoargh], who is absolutely right about that.
Hint on usage of that option:

-"Most light from above" should be preferred for fixed objects in daylight, like building exteriors.

-"Light from all directions" is probably better for: stuff that will not have a fixed "up" direction, like bodies
armors, etc and maybe artificially lit interiors (unless main windows or openings are on top); it is also appropriate for  isolated stuff standing very high above the ground. But probably it changes from case to case.

(that was a quick update successions in the last few days...
in case you missed the last ones, update notes are [here] [here] and [here])

Tested the global lighting.  Works great!  Minor suggestion- make an "extra dark" mode for that, where the light only has half its current influence- then we can get really deep shadows and adjust it with contrast / brightness.  This just made all of the atlased stuff look 100% better immediately  :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom