[Lore/Universe Expansion] First Lion Throne-Swadian Wars: The Battle of Etrosq.

Users who are viewing this thread

Venitius

Count
The First Lion-Throne Swadian Wars

Etrosq and the Northern Ellisian Mountains

The Northern Swadian Armies, lead by Field Marshal Harhengothus, invaded Northern Ellis in the Winter, 1495. Supported by Ellisian irregulars, the Northern Swadian Armies easy cut their way through the path of the Ellisian militias in their way. Surprised at this, a division of Lion Throne troops marched out of Abdera to fight them, lead by General Rezerphorlos of Gunther-Piedmont, a former aide to Mathias of Gunther-Piedmont.

In this division was Falketus' Regiment, a group of Swadians who had converted to the Filaharn Faith and found sanctuary in the Lion Throne's army. Wearing white uniforms, and wielding the newly-invented matchlock musket, the Whitecoats of Falketus' Regiment never retreated. The division was made solely out of musketeers and gunners, as the Kingpriest of Ellis believed that the Swadian force consisted entirely of armoured men.

The Field Marshal, however, had brought a force consisting mainly of men armed with firelocks, due to the belief that the Lion Throne would send the heavily-armoured element of the Brigade of the Radiant Cross. However, the heavy infantry of the Brigade of the Radiant Cross was attacking Lord Otto's Army which was besieging Grunwalder Castle. The Field Marshal had brought musketeers, arquebusiers and dragoons. These were the hardened men who had fought the Laurians, the Imperial State, the Ellisian Empire and the Dual Monarchy. Now they would bear their guns upon the Lion Throne.

Outside the castle of Etrosq, the two armies met. The garrison of that castle, however, did not help their Lion Throne allies and flank the Swadians, because the entire garrison had the plague. When the heralds of each faction, sent by the armies' leaders to announce a challenge of arms, found themselves in their enemy's camp, they were highly surprised to see that their foe's army consisted entirely of men armed with guns, as did their own army. Both commanders sent for cavalry reinforcements. Rezerphorlos' messenger reached Abdera first and some newly-conscripted Ellisian Cavalry rode to Etrosq. Realizing that the Lion Throne Messenger would reach his destination faster than his own, the Swadian Field Marshal ordered his artillery train to open fire. Culverins, Bombards and Serpentines opened fire upon the Lion Throne ranks. The Lion Throne artillery batteries opened fire soon after.

Skirmishers of both sides, consisting of Ellisian irregulars for the Swadians, and Gunther-Piedmont light companies for the Lion Throne, engaged in the nearby Etrosq forest. Swadian dragoons soon came to the aid of their comrades in the forest. This meant that the Swadians no longer had any cavalry. The forest was vital, as who controlled the forest could easily march troops through it, and with cover from the trees, flank their foe.

The main armies of both sides clashed, with very few men in reserve. The first to engage battle were the Landsknechts armed with arquebuses. These men were the Forlorn Hope, sent to weaken the enemy pike formation before the two pike blocks clashed. They were armed with the Zwëihanders as a sidearm.  Harhengothus only had his retinue and bodyguard, as well as some arquebusiers. Rezerphorlos also had his bodyguard in reserve, but also kept the whole of Falketus' Regiment.

The Ellisian cavalry finally arrived at a quarter past noon that day. Seeing a chance for glory, the Lion Throne commander lead his bodyguard and the cavalry, consisting of about 6,000 men, charged the Swadian position from the flank. However, two squares of Swadian Landsknechts armed with pikes and their Forlorn Hope of arquebusiers had just moved into position there. The arquebusiers took down many of the Lion Throne's cavalry, killing both the Ellisian Cavalry's standard bearer and Rezerphorlos' personal standard bearer. The arquebusiers then withdrew to aid their main troops in the centre. The pikemen, with firmly braced for the cavalry charge, caused havoc with their pikes. Hundreds of cavalrymen died, and all of them were dismounted. The Lion Throne general died when he was surrounded, and killed by the Swadian Field Marshal's standard bearer, whom, along with the rest of the Field Marshal's bodyguard, had supported the beleaguered pikemen by flanking the Ellisians.

The outnumbered Swadian infantry in the centre had taken a heavy beating, and had engaged in melee combat. The skirmishers had been foolishly ordered to withdraw from the forest and join the main force by the Second-in-Command of the Lion Throne division. With the arrival of Swadian Knights and Ulm Mounted Arquebusiers under Lord Arnulf and the 50th Holy Swadian Dragoons under Colonel Heerfergurthen, the dragoons in the forest re-mounted and prepared for a cavalry charge. The time was four in the afternoon. The skirmishers in the forest now killed the enemy officers, and the Lion Throne troops began to waver. Then the Swadian cavalry charged, and destroyed the wavering Lion Throne infantry. Many tried to flee, but most were cut down. A lucky few succeeded in reaching the reserves, who had not been committed yet. The Whitecoats had formed square. Arnulf attempted to persuade the Regiment to surrender, but to no avail. The cavalry charged once, but then withdrew. After half an hour, the Swadian brought all the artillery on the battlefield to bear upon the square. Some dragoons and skirmishers fired at the square too. After a heavy bombardment, the square no-longer existed. Only its colours, torn by bullets and bits of shell, flew silently above the square, their standard bearers still clutching them. The Swadians had taken heavy casualties. It was a Pyrrhic Victory.

Lord Arnulf then took the colours, and rode for Ulm with his cavalry. Weeks later, he then presented them to the Emperor. The Emperor, as accounts describe him when he recieved the standards, was "thoroughly confused", and then he "started ranting about the evilness of librarians and physicians". The Northern Swadian armies retreated back to Ulm to rest and restock. However, Lion Throne cavalry continued to harass the column, until they were but a few miles away from Ulm.

Author's Note
Please state out any errors. I'll change/remove it if D'Sparil requests. 
Changelog:
Changed it to a Pyrrhic victory. Added stuff about column getting attacked.

So the Lion Throne now has super-accurate rifles now?  :neutral:
I was hoping the Halmarians would have them, so they could counter both the Laurian fighting style, and the Imperial State fighting style. I thought it would be cool to see the Imperial State advancing against the Halmarians, only to be shot down by the tenfold by Halmarian sharpshooters. But... since D'sparil has not seen fit to release to us their troop tree, it shall only be speculation.
But anyways, good read, another good one from Venitius.
Also, Venitius, go ahead and grab yourself a pic from the Interwebs. Just find one you like off google, copy-pasta it to your pictures folder, then go onto the profile folder, press edit forum profile, then press upload my own for the avatar, pick out the one you wanted from your pictures folder, and then walla! Avatar!

1. They don't have super-accurate rifles: All they have are calivers or musketoons.
2. Still can't find an avatar/pic I like sufficiently.

I actually laughed at the last paragraph  :lol:

However theres one thing to keep in mind: I take it that winter means northern hemisphere. To the point when the Lion Throne Invades Calradia it remains undefeated, and every defeat from then on will be handled by yours truly should it be needed  :razz:

In the Lion Throne's eyes, I think that will be seen as a mere scratch that removed of inefficient troops and a rubbish commander. They didn't loose that many troops anyway, it was just a detachment versus the entire Swadian Northern armies as well as a Lord and and a regiment of dragoons. Winter doesn't mean snow and all that, just the months of November-January in this text.

EDIT: It's now a Pyrrhic victory and the Swadian column gets attacked. Happy?

Venitius said:
EDIT: It's now a Pyrrhic victory and the Swadian column gets attacked. Happy?

:lol:

To be honest it's impossible to keep everything within the bounds of what I expect the story to be, so anyone can write anything.At some point I will put together a thread with all the stories with slight edits to make it all fit together, but not at this moment.

However I encourage anyone to read the faq (not only the intro, but the faction descriptions aswell, and those of the defeated factions ) before writting lore as it sets most of the basics.

Well I did read the FAQ but I did say in the text that it was a brigade, not an entire army. After all, the Lion Throne detachment was heavily outnumbered at the end. At least 2 armies, 1 Regiment of Cavalry and some Ellisian irregulars? Also the Ellisian cavalry were newly recruited and were unblooded. The General was an aide and hadn't actually been in a position like this and was brash.

But then, it is your mod.

Venitius said:
Well I did read the FAQ but I did say in the text that it was a brigade, not an entire army. After all, the Lion Throne detachment was heavily outnumbered at the end. At least 2 armies, 1 Regiment of Cavalry and some Ellisian irregulars? Also the Ellisian cavalry were newly recruited and were unblooded. The General was an aide and hadn't actually been in a position like this and was brash.

But then, it is your mod.

Now that I read the FAQ again I realize I should have been more clear in it: yes a part of the Lion Throne army remained at first, but in the end it too left Ellis to fight the Khergits on the south, leaving Nikephoros alone.
And don't take "Brigade" Of Radiant Cross literally, BotRC means the entire Lion Throne army. But like I said, its your writting, I'm not asking you to change it and I'm happy that you wrote it.
Once I'm done with the new version I'll sort of bring all the writtings together to make them "compatible" with each other, with authorization of the writters of course.

The "brigade" I mentioned was the Brigade that got attacked by Harhengothus & co.
I should have stated it more clearly....

You have my authorization to edit my texts/lore/universe expansions/writings etc.

Venitius said:
The "brigade" I mentioned was the Brigade that got attacked by Harhengothus & co.
I should have stated it more clearly....

Damn, I have to read this again in the morning :lol:

You have my authorization to edit my texts/lore/universe expansions/writings etc.
Thank you, don't worry, I wont bastardize your work, just a couple of new lines. Although I must say that your Halmarian tree is spot on, specially because of Queen Margaret, whom year of death you have placed on 1496, exactly what I planned (in other words, Iohann will still be Prince during the time of the mod  :razz:).

So wait... Queen Margaret will still be alive when the Halmarians and the Duchy are intruduced into the mod? If so, will Prince Iohann be a claimant? That would be awesome!

Tiberius Decimus Maximus said:
So wait... Queen Margaret will still be alive when the Halmarians and the Duchy are intruduced into the mod? If so, will Prince Iohann be a claimant? That would be awesome!

Queen Margaret will be pretty much a living corpse, crippled down by age, but still Queen. Iohann will be prince heir, but in control of the Union, in a much more belligerent way than Margaret.

D'Sparil said:

Queen Margaret will be pretty much a living corpse, crippled down by age, but still Queen. Iohann will be prince heir, but in control of the Union, in a much more belligerent way than Margaret.

Oooh, okay. Thanks. I guess she we just be your standard issue lady type I presume?
Though I think I'll have nightmares when the duelist claims she beds the stableboys *shudder*  :mrgreen:
You probably will wan't to make a unique one for her then.

Oooh, okay. Thanks. I guess she we just be your standard issue lady type I presume?
Though I think I'll have nightmares when the duelist claims she beds the stableboys *shudder*  :mrgreen:

Ah no, she will be rotting in her bed in the Halmar mainland  :razz:

D'Sparil said:

Ah no, she will be rotting in her bed in the Halmar mainland  :razz:

Okay, okay, I get it, no inclusion of Mrs. Margaret in this mod, guv'nah'.

A "Pyrrhic victory" is a victory with a devastating cost to the victor.

Comes from Pyrrhus of Epirus, a Epirote king who invaded Italy and won two battles in which he lost loads of his men.

Named after King Pyrrhus of Epirus, who decided he would launch a campaign against the Romans (What a silly goose) and launched a series of victories so costly that he famously said "If we are victorious in one more battle with the Romans, we shall be utterly ruined."

*EDIT*

Damn you people with your simplified explanations! Always getting in before me!  :mad:  :grin:

Back
Top Bottom