Glossing certain sections of texture sheets..

Users who are viewing this thread

Trying to figure this out.

I've done a search on said title, but found nothing or what is informed is concerning Photoshop procedure.

I'm using DDS converter 2, and GIMP. I would imagine I use an iron_shader, or iron_shader_skin for the shader in BRF. Beyond that I cant figure it out.

Specular blocks out the gloss of iron_shader? do i make a black sheet for the specular, and make the sections i want to gloss transparent?

Gimp not support the required steps? alpha?

if anyone can advise me on this, or point me to a link / tutorial explaining this with gimp, it would be most appreciated.

Thanks.

To edit the alpha channel with GIMP:

* Open the image
    * Go to the Image menu
    * Open the Mode submenu
    * Choose 'decompose'
    * Select the 2nd option: RGBA
    * Press Ok

Your image is now split into it's 4 component parts. Ignore the R, G and B channels, all you need here is the alpha channel.

Note: If at this point you get a messsage saying "No Alpha Channel available", you will need to create one. In the Layer menu, select Transparency and then 'Add Alpha channel'.

Anything black in the alpha channel will be transparent in the main image, and anywhere there's white the graphics will be visible. Shades in between can be used to fine-tune the transparency. Edit the alpha channel using any tool you like, you can even copy/paste from the RGB channels if that's easier.

Once you've edited the alpha channel for your image, you need to re-combine the 4 channels. To do this:

* Open the Image menu
    * Open the Mode submenu
    * Choose 'compose'
    * Select RGBA
    * Press Ok

Use the iron_shader as ive had bad luck with iron_shader_skin, (ps the dark parts of the Alpha will be less shiny).

Barf said:
To edit the alpha channel with GIMP:

* Open the image
    * Go to the Image menu
    * Open the Mode submenu
    * Choose 'decompose'
    * Select the 2nd option: RGBA
    * Press Ok

I seem to have a different version..
settingss.jpg

However I think I can figure out with the different settings..
settingsm.jpg

settingsb.jpg

I'm curious if i'm using the right settings in BRF though..
settings-1.jpg

iron_shader uses alpha channel of primary texture to put gloss on items. White parts of alpha = more gloss, black = no gloss

I dont use  GIMP, but I reckon it should have access to alpha channel in dds through dds plugin. Your screenshots do have alpha channel, so you have access to it ok. Put grayscale image of core texture into it for starters and start altering. Don't forget to save to DXT5 afterwards

I'd advise you to take a look at some native textures first to see how they do it. I could help you with Photoshop, but I never worked with GIMP.

DaBlade said:
I'd advise you to take a look at some native textures first to see how they do it. I could help you with Photoshop, but I never worked with GIMP.

Yeah I tried emulating the settings of the texture sheet with the full plate to no avail.

I dont have access to photoshop, so I think i'll take a look at the gimp plugins and see if im missing something that may be preventing me from having the same setup as barf, in his first post.

As long as you have the RGB + the alpha channel everything's fine. There's no need to alter your settings.

It has already been mentioned, transparent/black alpha channel equal no gloss and white most possible gloss. To edit only the alpha channel click on the red+green and blue channel so only the alpha channel has a darkened background in the channel window. Now you just have to paint where you want the texture to be glossy and where not. To edit the texture itself deactivate the alphachannel by clicking on it in your channel window and activate the other three channels by clicking on them. And like GetAssista said, DXT5 compression is the only working one with shaders, afaik.

You probably know all of this, sorry if I got you wrong.

i'm beginning to think it's something to do with the .960 BRF.

I've got got ahold of a photoshop to try it, and it's still not working.

I've also updated to latest DDS converter, and all of my sheets are dtx5 when converted.

Does it work with native textures and models, when you generate your own material, identical to native material giving gloss and using native texture? Or ruins when you replace texture with your own? Or when model is replaced?

I had my share of problems with current BRFedit and 0.960/1.003 materials/shaders too.

I have a related question, BRF edit now has a specular map slot etc... does that mean we can have specular maps for shininess AND say, an alpha map for transparency?

Thanks

Dain

GetAssista said:
Does it work with native textures and models, when you generate your own material, identical to native material giving gloss and using native texture? Or ruins when you replace texture with your own? Or when model is replaced?

I had my share of problems with current BRFedit and 0.960/1.003 materials/shaders too.

Yeah i've encountered an issue with a sheet that had alpha working prior. I switched some settings around trying it with other shaders, and when I switched it back, the alpha no longer registered.

Back
Top Bottom