SP Fantasy The Once and Future King - A King Arthur Mod

Users who are viewing this thread

Drystan

Recruit
The Once and Future King

-Story-

The whole world knows and loves this story. It is the magical epic of King Arthur and his shining Camelot; of Merlyn and
Guinevere, of Knights in Shining Armour and Knights in Black. The Round Table is known to all, and those who follow the
Knight's Code may swear allegiance to it. I have been thinking about doing a mod for M&B for some time, only recently signed
on to this forum however, so I may get some grief for starting an ambitious project so early into my M&B career. To those
naysayers I would like to point out that I have helped on several Oblivion projects, as well as Medieval and Rome Total War
ones. This project will start small, as it emcompasses only me, myself and absolutely no one else. I have begun work on it,
even if I do only know texturing and possibly some basic modelling. Hopefully this small work might give it some momentum
and bring in a coder or two.

Anyway, that is besides the point, I'm going to work on it regardless of who comes. The basic setting is that you are a
young farmer and you are out to make a name for yourself either by becoming a chivalrous Knight, or an evil Blackguard. A
possible female rout might be made, but it is unlikely as in most of the stories the female is the one as needs saving. In
the future, if this gains momentum as said before, there are possibilities for a Grail quest and similar, but they would
need to be done correctly and not just a scavenger hunt.

Firstly I will need to gather or create a map of Britain (I've seen a few around, so I may just ask someone to edit theirs)
I've started to edit the faction names and basic things that I can do with a notepad, but hopefully some kind coder (not likely)
will come help. If not I'll give learning Python a shot. Which I'd really rather not do. Because I'm attempting to learn Wings3d at the moment.

The story is not ironed out and can be set to change at any moment at all. This is to be a romantic Arthur tale, with late
Medieval armour (Such as Gothic plate and whatever else have you) and is not to be ultra-realistic. Quests will be bigger things, and will mean more in the long run of it.

If possible, we will create a new indepth honour system whereby all your actions are judged (Even things such as looting corpses) will be given honour points or take them away, this will affect how most of the world sees you. Another thing I would like to add is the ability to, after you capture another Knight, is to be able to have a conversation to sway them over to your side. This will make the most out of the prisoner and slave part of the game, considering you will likely as not be unable to sell slaves.

As stated before, it will be a romantic work, and draw from many of the later middle ages stories, as well as earlier ones. Le Morte d'Arthur will be a large source, as well as just different books I see and like ideas in. Please feel free to throw ideas at me, they always help :smile:

This is a learning experience for me in Mount and Blade.

-Factions-

Kingdom of the Bretons:

arthur1bannerdw9.jpg

Led by King Arthur, this is the classic King Arthur experiance. They preside over much of present-day England and Wales, minus much of the Eastern Coast and Cornwall. Honour is without a doubt the ruling factor in this faction, and King Arthur is a merciful lord.

Unit Types:

Bretons:
Excellent Heavy Cavalry
Decent Longbowmen
Heavily Armoured Units
High Honour

Kingdom of Cornwall:

markbannerhu4.jpg

An ally of the Breton Kingdom, Cornwall is led by King Mark, who is a dear friend of King Arthur. They would never abandon their ally, unless in certain times of dire need.

Unit Types:

Cornwall:
Similar to Bretons

Saxons:

saxonbannerdd1.jpg

The saxons have always been a problem for British Isles, and now is no less. They own parts of the eastern seaboard, most notably in the south east. They are vicious, sea-born raiders who care not for honour or nobility.

Unit Types:

Saxons (Nord-like):
Chain armour
Strong axemen
Weak cavalry
No Knights
Low Honour

Northern Kings:

lamorakbannerso0.jpg

The Northern Kings are an mix of the Northern Breton and Scottish Kings and Knights. These include the Orkney clan, as well as the Kingdom of Gore and others. At times they have been tied to the Breton Kingdom, but as of late they have become slightly unruly as the Blackguards try to draw them in as allies.

Unit Types:

Northern Kings:
Strong footmen
Mediocre Knights
Medium Honour

Blackguards:

malagantbannertg6.jpg

Led by King Maleagant (Or, Mordred, depending) these Knights are are splinter off of the Kingdom of the Bretons, they gave up their honour and grabbed lands in their names in the North-Eastern part of Britain. They are often seen raiding Breton villages and stealing maidens.

Unit Types:

Blackguards:
Similar to Bretons
Slightly lighter armoured units
Low Honour

This is what the map might look like:

ukbg9.jpg

I am considering giving Malagant more land south, and the Saxons more land north, to lessen the Breton Kingdom on the Eastern seaboard. One thing I will need to decide is where to place Camelot in the grand scheme of things.

-Bandit Types-

Blackguards (Not tied to Malagant)
Irish Raiders
Pict Raiders
Welsh Raiders
Outlaws
Saxon Sea-Wolves (Just raiders not tied to the Saxon crown, as it were)

People I would like to help me:
Basically anyone with any skill set would help, to be honest. The more vital ones at the moment are a map-maker (Or if I could find a good map of Britain), and a coder. Even small little things help.

Thanks,

- Drystan

P.S: I will fill in more information (Such as troop tiers and whatnot) as I come up with it. As I said before, just throw ideas at me.

PROGRESS:

Mod has just begun, created faction banners, renamed factions with Note-pad.

nice idea
good luck w. starting your mod.
1 thing about troop trees: make Knights - peasants seperated classes, so we dont see a peasant updated to a knight like in Native.

Methinks the Northern Kings should hold much of Northern England, to boot. Hen Ogledd and all that. Still.. it's based on the romance, and as such ahistory is quite acceptable.

Either way, good job on those banners.

Justiciar said:
Methinks the Northern Kings should hold much of Northern England, to boot. Hen Ogledd and all that. Still.. it's based on the romance, and as such ahistory is quite acceptable.

Either way, good job on those banners.

I may possibly increase their territory a bit, like I said before, map is nowhere near final :smile:

On a side note, I've been thinking about claimants and how to implement them. Possibly Mordred could be a Claimant to the Breton Kingdom, of course he would be evil and that could be another rout for the players. Not too sure about the other factions claimants.

good idea for a mod.
are you starting on 0.903, or waiting for the 0.95x module system, Drystan?

Chel said:
good idea for a mod.
are you starting on 0.903, or waiting for the 0.95x module system, Drystan?

Probably going to wait for the .95x module system as it is. Gives me more time to prepare and gather everything first. That is, unless a coder comes along, then I may revert and then port.

I might be able to help you, as I like the idea and believe it's quite doable.

I can do some Python work and weapon models. I am however busy with school exams, and can't do it full-time.

I do recommend you to wait for the 0.95x Module System, as in the meanwhile you can learn Python, which is almost essential if you want this mod to move.

Cumandante said:
I might be able to help you, as I like the idea and believe it's quite doable.

I can do some Python work and weapon models. I am however busy with school exams, and can't do it full-time.

I do recommend you to wait for the 0.95x Module System, as in the meanwhile you can learn Python, which is almost essential if you want this mod to move.

Great to hear. :smile:

I'm having exams as well, so don't worry there. I've started skimming through some python tutorials, will give it a shot at some point.

Sounds like a good concept for starters Drystan. I'd considered doing something along the same lines before I settled on my other mod. (Still very tempted by the idea though...)

I'd advise a fantasy-type setting for the Arthurian period, rather than the mundane reality, you'll find it gives you far more scope to play with.

As far as maps go, feel free to use the one I made for 867 A.D. if you like, but it only stretches as far the borders of Scotland. (and doesn't include Ireland)

Best of luck with the Python tutorials. You'll find that it's not all together that difficult, provided you put the time and effort into fiddling with it. :smile:

Markus II said:
Sounds like a good concept for starters Drystan. I'd considered doing something along the same lines before I settled on my other mod. (Still very tempted by the idea though...)

I'd advise a fantasy-type setting for the Arthurian period, rather than the mundane reality, you'll find it gives you far more scope to play with.

As far as maps go, feel free to use the one I made for 867 A.D. if you like, but it only stretches as far the borders of Scotland. (and doesn't include Ireland)

Best of luck with the Python tutorials. You'll find that it's not all together that difficult, provided you put the time and effort into fiddling with it. :smile:

Thanks for letting me use the map, it is definitely something that can get the project going :smile:

Yes, I plan on making it include some fantasy aspects, this is definitely not historical, like I said, it is the romance tale kind of King Arthur.

Even tho it is probably considered a children's book, I would suggest reading "The Squire's Tale" series of books by Gerald Morris
I read them back in my middle school days and loved them. They might actually give you some ideas for settings, characters, and items.

Another suggestion I have to offer is MANY, MANY different "heraldries" (not sure about the word there) but since you are going for the "romantic Arthur" I would expect to see colorful knights with barded horses and crested helms. And LOTS of shiny plate armour and great helms.

A way to define knights of different kingdoms may be the armour.
Breton knights-Armour near chrome haha
Cornwall-A little less shiny
Northern Kings-quite dull
Blackguards-black obviously  :razz:

Very interesting idea. I'm making similiar mod called Land of Eternal Youth, but period is bit earlier (circa 410 A.D). Homever, I am going to include some Arthurian-Holy Grail elements and Irish mythology.
Since it's more focused on heavy-plate, late medieval knights I can't help really much, but if you are going to put some history I might try to help :razz:.
Map from Land of Eternal Youth covers all the Britian and Ireland, maybe it's too small, but feel free to use it.
Be sure to read to read "The Winter King" and "Enemy of God" by Bernard Cornwell, they're very nice books :smile:.
Good luck.

I was borwsing the forum last night and noticed some very good plate armour models/textures, from what I gather you are an experienced modder but it never hurts to have a little help, and a wide variety of plate armour would be very nice.
Ill drop the link here, I'm sure you will be able to figure out where to find them from that thread. Might involve a little translation  :wink:

http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,33592.0.html

bbeck08 said:
I was borwsing the forum last night and noticed some very good plate armour models/textures, from what I gather you are an experienced modder but it never hurts to have a little help, and a wide variety of plate armour would be very nice.
Ill drop the link here, I'm sure you will be able to figure out where to find them from that thread. Might involve a little translation  :wink:

Thanks for the head's up, mate. I'll see what I can do about getting permission, I like the way it looks.  :smile:

As for the other comments, I'll see if I can't check out those books.

What I find funny is that king Arthur is mostly famous in one era but in-fact the legend started during the time of the Roman empire when the Saxons inhabited most of it and the last romans on the island were hence called the Welsh over time. At this time Nothrumbia was formed by a warlord and Edward(another Saxon warlord) fled to the south and the last remnants of the roman forces (the welsh) were led by a brilliant general and a courageous prince named Arthur and from there.. the legend began. 

Ya I agree. It is a bit odd...
But then again most of us, at least the ones that aren't completely anal about historical accuracy think nights in shining armour when we're talking king Arthur. And in all actuality I think the Arthurian legends written in the ramantic period would make a much better mod.

Drystan said:
bbeck08 said:

Thanks for the head's up, mate. I'll see what I can do about getting permission, I like the way it looks.  :smile:

As for the other comments, I'll see if I can't check out those books.

And yep no prob. I'll keep my eye out for anything else. I really want this mod to work out :razz:
And ya there are a lot of things in those books that could be added in that would give this mod a lot of flavor.

One story that sticks out in my mind is that of a somewhat mediocre knight that Sir Gawain comes across in his travels. The knight is not intimidating or threatening at all, because he is wearing pink armour. Come to find out his mother had painted his armour red so he would be stylish but it had faded in the sun. haha I don't remember to many other details.

I believe there was a nameless green knight...
He challenged everyone to a joust that wanted to cross his bridge or something of the sort

Back
Top Bottom