Redwood Marriage...hmmmm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Hey everyone,

I've been really enjoying playing this mod and am thinking of doing a Youtube series with it like my Anno 1257 series (which the dev team was cool enough to sticky! - http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,308541.0.html).

I like the Redwood Elves as a faction, but I noticed a lot of the lords of this faction are obviously visually male, and called lord this-and-that, but when you talk to them they give you a hard time for being male, and are often referred to in conversation as she. Fine, not game breaking or anything, just odd.

Then I signed on as a soldier with the Princess. I lost all my warband (wasn't expecting that, I thought I would just sign us all on like a mercenary party) and all my equipment was taken away and I became a basic scout. Still, I thought, cool mechanic, interesting, let's see where this goes.

So I really enjoy this part of the game but promotion is crazy - I was promoted twice to finally make Elvarie Rider, but then no matter how long I serve I don't get promoted any more. It says my arms are not strong enough to use a ballista. Huh? I assume that's code for my stats aren't as good as the next level rider. Well, I look them up - they are strength 29! and like level 38 or something. Most players will never get that far and if they do they are so advanced and will have such an elite warband why would they sign on, individually, with one lord, as a grunt troop anyway? I feel the requirements for promotion under this system should be a bit reduced. If you got to keep the gear afterwards it would be a great way for a new character to begin the game. Right now it's interesting but not really useful.

However, working for the Princess endeared her to me, so one day she up and asks me to marry her. Not a bad deal, I think, she's 2nd in line to the throne, pretty easy on the eyes, though sadistic, and I'm just a common soldier. I say yes. Cue the marriage ceremony, and my full bearded warrior walks down the isle in a wedding gown (!) and curtseys to my soon-to-be wife. Huh. These elves have some strange habits.

That's just plain weird, but the actual bug comes after that. So I am enlisted in her army, but am married to her. In the dialogue tree, I cannot ask to be released from her service, so they only way to leave her army and work on a quest she gave me is to desert from her army, which makes everyone in the nation hate me.

So aside from relating this hilarious story, I just have the question if this kind of thing is even possible to fix inside the game engine and if so is it planned to be fixed? Are the elves just a broken (ish) faction and for the mod to really make sense you should work for someone else? I notice their troop tree is a little less diverse than other nations as well. I absolutely love the soldier idea and am sad it's kind of buggy.

Overall though, I can't stress enough that this is a fantastic mod and I am really enjoying playing it. It's clear a ton of work has gone into it and especially the wandering spawns of random enemies are really, really fun. Fighting a horde of Zann berserkers and getting a samurai helm for my trouble was a highlight of my play so far.

-Marcus

MarcusAureliusLP said:
though sadistic
[...]
my full bearded warrior walks down the isle in a wedding gown (!) and curtseys to my soon-to-be wife

It's obvious that she is into BDSM.
Prepare for the worse, it was just the beginning. :twisted:

A good lesson to everyone who would ever think of marrying a sadistic woman.

"Soldier idea" (also called Freelancer OSP) have some restrictions and minor bugs, but most of things told by you have another origins. Hard promotions in elvarie armies caused by high power draw and riding skills requirements (similiar to the troops) and it highly recommended not to freelance in their armies. And marriage due freelancing leads to bunch of issues, Freelancer itself not designed to work correctly with female vassals.
What about female male lords - it's a bug appeared after adding races (sometimes reading forum and using search quite usefull) and should be fixed with patches (i hope soon).

@Leonion - Haha, well, I guess that would make for an interesting video series :razz:

@T.L.S. Thank you! Even though the Freelancer program is weird with the Elves because of their high requirements, I think if I wanted to RP as an elf I would have to do it. Maybe I can go the archer route this time instead of the horse archer route. Is there a list somewhere of what requirements you need? You make it seem like it's more skills than stats, which would be easier to work up to. 29 strength is hard, but a certain amount of power draw or riding seems a bit more workable. I wouldn't mind freelancing for another army (maybe one far away, who will likely not war with the elves...which would you recommend?) as long as when I de-enlist my reputation with the elves as a nation and the specific lords goes back to zero. Does it? I'll make sure to work for a male vassal as well, or just say 'no' when she asks to marry me. I did scan the board, but I did not search - I thought my issues were so varied they all wouldn't be on the same post normally - I am sorry about that.

Speaking of patches, is there one coming soon? I would wait to start any series if one is on the way. If it could be months, then I might as well just start.

Are there any other cool mechanics or things that you think would be interesting to explore in a roleplay-based video series? I'd love suggestions, to show off aspects of the mod.

Thanks!

-Marcus

(maybe one far away, who will likely not war with the elves...which would you recommend?)
Maccavians - most efficient for freelancing, but if you planing to switch to elvaries after not perfect choice, because they are xbow based.
You can try Drahara - as foot archer, because horsmen line have switches between trowing and archery (but they are light-medium armored mostly, so it's more challenging for freelancing), Reich (not to bad geared archers, but main force is cavalry) or Valahir clan (hybrid archers with strong melee capabilities, so you will be well protected but with not so good bows).
But if you ask me, i find freelancing in current state quite useless (unless feature with receiving gear for permanent usage without deserting added)
Speaking of patches, is there one coming soon? I would wait to start any series if one is on the way. If it could be months, then I might as well just start.
As soon as devs done with it, nobody knows. But i suppose soon enought.
Are there any other cool mechanics or things that you think would be interesting to explore in a roleplay-based video series? I'd love suggestions, to show off aspects of the mod.
I think description of current mod state features in proper topic is the best source of info about it) In fact if me or someone else tell you everything your playthrought lose some part of fun)

Back
Top Bottom