Material .dds diffuse, normal and spec.. need help

Users who are viewing this thread

Alundra

Regular
so i've been watching a lot of tutorial on textures on youtube but i can't find anything about compiling a diffuse, normal and spec into 1 material and save it as .dds

anyone can teach me how to do it? lately i've been trying to just edit other mods textures and mesh just for study purpose

In warband, the materials must be located in the material section of the brf where armors are (or a dedicated brf) textures must be located in the common/mod texture file and loaded as well in the brf in the texture section.

Materials are not textures, they're just a link between the mesh and textures.

To put your textures on a mesh, you must make 3 different textures (diffuse, normal, spec), assign them to a material and apply it to the mesh. To save your textures as a .dds, use the nvidia plugin for PS or other plugins on GIMP.

you're not getting me here mate. of course i know that already. i've been editing my resources and textures knowing that. but im trying to create my own textures. after using xnormal or ndo2 for baking textures my texture files are spilt in to 3 parts which is diffuse, normal and spec. now what i want to know is how to compile those 3 files as .dds so that when i open that texture.dds on my .brf as material it will have all the shading that i need. got it mate?

Alundra said:
so i've been watching a lot of tutorial on textures on youtube but i can't find anything about compiling a diffuse, normal and spec into 1 material and save it as .dds

ever wonder why? textures are dds, materials are made from 2 or 3 texture files and exist only in the brf editor and aren"t saved like textures

Reyne said:

To put your textures on a mesh, you must make 3 different textures (diffuse, normal, spec), assign them to a material and apply it to the mesh. To save your textures as a .dds, use the nvidia plugin for PS or other plugins on GIMP.

this is how it is done. in a brf editor that compiles the three textures into the material and applies it to the mesh

diffuse a, bump, and specular

11rdn49.jpg

Alundra said:
now what i want to know is how to compile those 3 files as .dds so that when i open that texture.dds on my .brf as material it will have all the shading that i need. got it mate?
:lol:

Diffuse, specular, normals are separate textures for the 1 model you import into Openbrf. Got it mate.

Lor Dric said:
Reyne said:

this is how it is done. in a brf editor that compiles the three textures into the material and applies it to the mesh

11rdn49.jpg

alright i get what you mean. you know your stuff compared to reyne and deutch1. i just did'nt pay much attention on the material data im getting confused that some materials has none specular but is shaded properly when the texture load in the game. but there are items/armor that glow in the game even tho it has DiffuseA and Specular that part is very confusing it has all the texture files but what makes it glow? the glowing looks like a lambert. and im trying to fix that.

2s6vukg.jpg

2qmls9x.jpg

i hope you're a modeler texturer coz that would really help

and this one
2a4zigo.jpg

my question on this one is why is the dimension like this? if i were to create and replace this texture how do i save it in this kind of dimension? im trying to find an explanation for this

Alundra said:
Lor Dric said:
Reyne said:

11rdn49.jpg

alright i get what you mean. you know your stuff compared to reyne and deutch1. i just did'nt pay much attention on the material data im getting confused that some materials has none specular but is shaded properly when the texture load in the game. but there are items/armor that glow in the game even tho it has DiffuseA and Specular that part is very confusing it has all the texture files but what makes it glow? the glowing looks like a lambert. and im trying to fix that.

2s6vukg.jpg

2qmls9x.jpg

i hope you're a modeler texturer coz that would really help

and this one
2a4zigo.jpg

my question on this one is why is the dimension like this? if i were to create and replace this texture how do i save it in this kind of dimension? im trying to find an explanation for this

1. what is the shader set to?
  try getting rid of alphas on textures diffuse and normal map

2. save texture with mips    that looks like it is from mount and blade, I don't think warband needs mips

im just an average joe in this. sorry i don't know what you mean by mips.
and i don't know how to manipulate the shader data how do i get rid of the alpha? can i do that in photoshop? or autodesk maya? or do i need some texture program?

if i give you the texture.dds and mesh file can you fix it for me? you can probably look into the problem if you have the file

edit: mips
9jonsx.jpg
which part of this mips settings?

Alundra said:
im just an average joe in this. sorry i don't know what you mean by mips.
and i don't know how to manipulate the shader data how do i get rid of the alpha? can i do that in photoshop? or autodesk maya? or do i need some texture program?

MIP maps
the shaders are set on material page of brf editor don't use simple shader on items
save textures as dxt1 no alpha and don't generate MIP maps if for warband

Alundra said:
edit: mips
9jonsx.jpg
which part of this mips settings?

MIP maps

have you looked in the tutorial section here? Sorry you have to do it so you can learn, I have a bunch of projects I'm already behind on.

hahaha i would'nt be posting this if i didn't read most of the crap tutorials here with broken image links.
i saved it as DXT1 no alpha and set simple shader but still its glowing.
i find your suggestion illogical since i have plenty of textures here that are DXT3 and are working just the same as any items in the game.
so basically you don't really know why its glowing right?

From the little i know on 3D and textures if your armor is glowing too much its probably cause of specular map layer, try to set it, more dark a little less contrast !

You either have chosen the wrong shader, didn't assigned the right specular file, assigned too high values to the specular or did something wonky in the specular map.

A good start would be to open an existing material and seeing their respective flags and settings.

Also, people don't have any obligation to help you, so I'd say you should be more polite as most people here figured it out on their own reading the same ****ty tutorials you didn't bothered to understand.

well i would'nt answer rudely if you did'nt answer me sarcastically tell me to go read a certain tutorial about my problem that does not exist in this forum. you could say that there might be related topics about it but that's not what i need. i've read a lot of tutorials before posting this. starting arguments here have actually been good for me to realize things faster. anyway he could have just said he did'nt know.

actually i had like 4-5 glowing items but i fixed 4 of them and this bronze glove and greaves are the last one thats been bothering me somethings clearly wrong with the texture even tho the bronze plate has no problem with the shading its making me so curious about it. why would the texture glow after i import it when its working properly from the other mod i played. i imported like 10 items from another mod and 9 of them is shaded and working properly except for this glove and greave. so i don't think i made a mistake on importing they were a package with the bronze plate and only the plate was working normally. anyway i think i could just copy another texture from a native plate glove and just edit the texture overlay/multiply it with gold or something. but this glowing problem leaves me curious.

well i'll take you on that i'll check and study more about the shader properties, clearly my knowledge on this is very poor but i've been reading and watching a lot of tutorials.  i've learned about improving bumps with high pass but the basic things like plugins/exporting textures in maya is very complex and were never explained completely, only advanced modelers could understand not by potato newbies like me. however i have other methods since im good at other programs but i wish i could play more of the advance settings in maya. i know that warband is just a low res poly game but i think there is still room on improving the textures

Back
Top Bottom