The issue with these scripts

Users who are viewing this thread

RAILHAWK

Regular
For a short while, the scripts were properly handled and everyone treated them like a small addition and bonus to the game. Before I buy these scripts, I must say, Persistent World was a lot more functional and better without them.  Let me make my self clear what I mean when I say functional, I do not mean functional by how well servers work or the performance of the computers and things available to use. I mean the functionality of the society and the game. Without banks and character saves, people did not rely on money so much and it was not a big thing for them. In fact, what most people cared about was the roleplay and the "acting in the game." There was a cycle of perfection in pw. As I like to call it , the cycle of nobility. There always were exceptions for this, but most all of them was because they enjoyed role playing in a particular class and didn't wish to go any farther. You would start out in the game with little or no money to become a serf where you would help out your lord and other people as well as yourself in order to make a living. Once you made 15,000-30,000+ you would become a soldier and fight for whatever cause suited you the most. Some people would just stay in Glunmar and become guards slowly working there way up to become the lord of one of the strongest factions for trade. Once you were not so easily swayed and entertained by this, you would ask the lord for something more to do and he would ask you to get something that his faction was lacking or to handle something that was troubling him. Once you succeeded you would gain favor from the lord and so on and so on until you yourself became lord of that faction with a bunch of your own task demanding subjects, or you would not succeed and end up having to do it all over again until you eventually were done and wanted to quit. You would hang up your gear, say goodbye to your current situation and just leave to come on later and have something new to do. And now for the best part. Nowadays, the goal in everyone's head is to earn a lot of money, deposit it in the bank for later, usually become a fighting class, buy a bunch of armor to look superior to one another and fight eventually to die and lose all your armor and have someone else loot it and rub it all in your face. Oh and I almost forgot about all the rules that are supposed to restrict people to rp when all they really do is restrict everything to anything but rp and limits how far it can go. Tell me a recent time when you were actually close to your lord and he asked you to get things or accomplish something for him, or even a time when he commanded you into a formation or cared about his fighters more than himself. No, it just doesn't happen anymore. Given the current circumstances, the course of human nature descends upon everyone and everything in the game and it all becomes a giant greed fest. No one cares about one another and just want to have more money, armor, weapons or anything to make them feel better about themselves. I'd actually like to hear your guys opinions about this whether you think I'm right or wrong. That's right Froi, I'm talking about you. Don't try and hide your little fluffy cat face from this post right when I start to show promise and you've been critising me about not having these scripts all along! xD Banking scripts are the main roleplay problem as they eliminate a player's motivation to gain money and spend it when neccessary. Character saving scripts don't effect roleplay at all. However, it provides a protective barrier for trolls to bully other people as they cannot be effected once they log out. There is nothing they have to do before they leave. It almost like a hit in run or a dine and dash circumstance where if the restaurant had better security or something they had to go through before they left; the whole problem would be avoided and the customer wouldn't even try to steal as they have no chance to.

RAILHAWK said:
For a short while, the scripts were properly handled and everyone treated them like a small addition and bonus to the game. Before I buy these scripts, I must say, Persistent World was a lot more functional and better without them.  Let me make my self clear what I mean when I say functional, I do not mean functional by how well servers work or the performance of the computers and things available to use. I mean the functionality of the society and the game. Without banks and character saves, people did not rely on money so much and it was not a big thing for them. In fact, what most people cared about was the roleplay and the "acting in the game." There was a cycle of perfection in pw. As I like to call it , the cycle of nobility. There always were exceptions for this, but most all of them was because they enjoyed role playing in a particular class and didn't wish to go any farther. You would start out in the game with little or no money to become a serf where you would help out your lord and other people as well as yourself in order to make a living. Once you made 15,000-30,000+ you would become a soldier and fight for whatever cause suited you the most. Some people would just stay in Glunmar and become guards slowly working there way up to become the lord of one of the strongest factions for trade. Once you were not so easily swayed and entertained by this, you would ask the lord for something more to do and he would ask you to get something that his faction was lacking or to handle something that was troubling him. Once you succeeded you would gain favor from the lord and so on and so on until you yourself became lord of that faction with a bunch of your own task demanding subjects, or you would not succeed and end up having to do it all over again until you eventually were done and wanted to quit. You would hang up your gear, say goodbye to your current situation and just leave to come on later and have something new to do. And now for the best part. Nowadays, the goal in everyone's head is to earn a lot of money, deposit it in the bank for later, usually become a fighting class, buy a bunch of armor to look superior to one another and fight eventually to die and lose all your armor and have someone else loot it and rub it all in your face. Oh and I almost forgot about all the rules that are supposed to restrict people to rp when all they really do is restrict everything to anything but rp and limits how far it can go. Tell me a recent time when you were actually close to your lord and he asked you to get things or accomplish something for him, or even a time when he commanded you into a formation or cared about his fighters more than himself. No, it just doesn't happen anymore. Given the current circumstances, the course of human nature descends upon everyone and everything in the game and it all becomes a giant greed fest. No one cares about one another and just want to have more money, armor, weapons or anything to make them feel better about themselves. I'd actually like to hear your guys opinions about this whether you think I'm right or wrong. That's right Froi, I'm talking about you. Don't try and hide your little fluffy cat face from this post right when I start to show promise and you've been critising me about not having these scripts all along! xD

There has already been a post like this, and also i dont get why you make this thread considering you were looking for scripts yourself.

glenn500 said:
RAILHAWK said:
For a short while, the scripts were properly handled and everyone treated them like a small addition and bonus to the game. Before I buy these scripts, I must say, Persistent World was a lot more functional and better without them.  Let me make my self clear what I mean when I say functional, I do not mean functional by how well servers work or the performance of the computers and things available to use. I mean the functionality of the society and the game. Without banks and character saves, people did not rely on money so much and it was not a big thing for them. In fact, what most people cared about was the roleplay and the "acting in the game." There was a cycle of perfection in pw. As I like to call it , the cycle of nobility. There always were exceptions for this, but most all of them was because they enjoyed role playing in a particular class and didn't wish to go any farther. You would start out in the game with little or no money to become a serf where you would help out your lord and other people as well as yourself in order to make a living. Once you made 15,000-30,000+ you would become a soldier and fight for whatever cause suited you the most. Some people would just stay in Glunmar and become guards slowly working there way up to become the lord of one of the strongest factions for trade. Once you were not so easily swayed and entertained by this, you would ask the lord for something more to do and he would ask you to get something that his faction was lacking or to handle something that was troubling him. Once you succeeded you would gain favor from the lord and so on and so on until you yourself became lord of that faction with a bunch of your own task demanding subjects, or you would not succeed and end up having to do it all over again until you eventually were done and wanted to quit. You would hang up your gear, say goodbye to your current situation and just leave to come on later and have something new to do. And now for the best part. Nowadays, the goal in everyone's head is to earn a lot of money, deposit it in the bank for later, usually become a fighting class, buy a bunch of armor to look superior to one another and fight eventually to die and lose all your armor and have someone else loot it and rub it all in your face. Oh and I almost forgot about all the rules that are supposed to restrict people to rp when all they really do is restrict everything to anything but rp and limits how far it can go. Tell me a recent time when you were actually close to your lord and he asked you to get things or accomplish something for him, or even a time when he commanded you into a formation or cared about his fighters more than himself. No, it just doesn't happen anymore. Given the current circumstances, the course of human nature descends upon everyone and everything in the game and it all becomes a giant greed fest. No one cares about one another and just want to have more money, armor, weapons or anything to make them feel better about themselves. I'd actually like to hear your guys opinions about this whether you think I'm right or wrong. That's right Froi, I'm talking about you. Don't try and hide your little fluffy cat face from this post right when I start to show promise and you've been critising me about not having these scripts all along! xD

There has already been a post like this, and also i dont get why you make this thread considering you were looking for scripts yourself.

I know, but I felt like he didn't say it plainly enough. He was afraid of offending people. I would prefer not to have scripts, but I'd much rather have players and a community even if it means I will have to purchase them. I'm not ready to give up just yet and I don't mean to criticize the people who made them. I know how hard and tedious it must have been in order to make them. I'm here to criticize our behavior when the scripts are in play.

The scripts themselves dont ruin the servers but the way they handled are do

As in back in the day you used to reset the bank every now and then and these days the banks never get resetted

glenn500 said:
The scripts themselves dont ruin the servers but the way they handled are do

As in back in the day you used to reset the bank every now and then and these days the banks never get resetted
I'm glad we understand each other glenn :smile:

Well, there has already been a major discussion about this subject. There are people who like scripts, and there are those who don't like them.
The majority of this community like playing with scripts, and nowadays new players could never imagine PW without it's scripts.
Also Glenn, the scripts did ruin the community itself, the community became worst because of the scripts.

Heroes_Witch_King said:
Well, there has already been a major discussion about this subject. There are people who like scripts, and there are those who don't like them.
The majority of this community like playing with scripts, and nowadays new players could never imagine PW without it's scripts.
Also Glenn, the scripts did ruin the community itself, the community became worst because of the scripts.
I know, I just wanted to explain it from a different point of view.

glenn500 said:
If the scripts are handled properly they enhance the gameplay instead of ruining it
Since you seem intent on pushing your view, I will restate my opinion here to balance it: I have always thought that saving money and items whenever a player disconnects (regardless of whether intentional or not) and storing them indefinitely is a bad design, and the general player behaviours since that was introduced has further confirmed my original opinions (which were based on watching and helping with development of other games as well); it causes all sorts of new problems, and attracts types of players that I despise, for their detrimental effect on game play. There are more detailed explanations in the first posts of the suggestions thread and the module system usage requirements thread.

I just wish there was something I could do. No one will come on my server because I don't have scripts when you don't even need scripts to have a good time. To have a good time, all you need is a nice and pleasant community. Three people came on my server who I helped out and gave a head start to that left immediately right when I said we didn't have scripts. It was almost like I had never even talked/interacted with them. I have 20 players in my player base whom I am very proud of. Naturally, they want scripts, but they would be willing to play without them. They are the kind of players that used to be in pw. The ones who actually make contact with each other and care for others. Normally I would be fine with 20 players, but the only problem with that is that not all of them play pw all the time and aren't on all the time. So I usually end up trying to invite them to the server hoping to attract new players with the small amount I have. Idk...I don't want to have them, but if it comes to it, I will buy them. Although, the people who are going to sell me the scripts are really nice and helpful. :smile:

RAILHAWK said:
I just wish there was something I could do. No one will come on my server because I don't have scripts when you don't even need scripts to have a good time. To have a good time, all you need is a nice and pleasant community. Three people came on my server who I helped out and gave a head start to that left immediately right when I said we didn't have scripts. It was almost like I had never even talked/interacted with them. I have 20 players in my player base whom I am very proud of. Naturally, they want scripts, but they would be willing to play without them. They are the kind of players that used to be in pw. The ones who actually make contact with each other and care for others. Normally I would be fine with 20 players, but the only problem with that is that not all of them play pw all the time and aren't on all the time. So I usually end up trying to invite them to the server hoping to attract new players with the small amount I have. Idk...I don't want to have them, but if it comes to it, I will buy them. Although, the people who are going to sell me the scripts are really nice and helpful. :smile:

Just like normal society, people eventually take innovation for granted and won't revert back to a simpler yet more enjoyable version. Sure the banking scripts introduced the convenience of not having to serf for an hour before you had the resources to play as what you like; however having such prevents a whole diversity in terms of wealth for a server. It's no surprise that the vast majority of players are now rich to the point of not knowing what to do with all of the gold. This is all in thanks to money and items saving to GUIDs when servers crash/reset. The main reason as to why these scripts are successful is because people are lazy, even in a video game! You can't fix what isn't broken! PW was fine before the fancy scripts. The only thing they did was make the mod appealing to a whole new group of less than desirable players and turn many existing ones into lazy gold hoarders.

On a side note, as the server owner it is up to you to attract and cater to the types of players that you would like to see on your server. Good examples of this are Dark Age, where it's a no-rules, anything goes environment, or PWRP which surrounds itself with rules to make for (mostly) peaceful roleplaying. If they don't like playing PW the way it was originally intended to, then perhaps it's time to pack up and make for another game or mod. It only shows there are decreasing amounts of players you would like to surround yourself with.

Back
Top Bottom