Application and software development!

Users who are viewing this thread

Lucke189

Knight at Arms
Hey Taleworlds!  :grin:

Thought it would be fun to start a thread about software development and mobile apps in particular!

Does anyone here develop applications for either iOS or Android?
If you do, please show off your work! It's always interesting to see what others have done and perhaps discuss features etc!

My own experiance
I have learned Java and Android development for some time now, but only recently put in the time to actually release something!
And let me tell you, it's a great feeling to upload an application to Google Play. It's just fun to finish an app and upload it for anyone to use.

My first application isn't anything fancy, its called Risk Battle Dice and it's a tool to help speed up battles when playing the board game Risk!

fYmms7c.jpg
Download my app here and let me know what you think:
Download (Google Play link)

Interested in Android development?
First off, for the most part Android development is based on the programming language Java. So it's a must to be somewhat confident programming in Java to learn application development!
A Youtube-series I liked a lot when learning Java was the tutorials by The New Boston, which goes through the basics in a fast and easy to understand manner!

The same channel also has a tutorial series for Android specifically, which is somewhat outdated but good nonetheless and can be seen here!

Of course, if you ever run in to problems when programming, the best way is to just Google the problem, chances are someone else has had the same issue before!

Resources

I would gladly answer any questions or help people who are interested in learning (even though I'm by no mean an expert).
You always learn easier when asking questions and discussing with each other!

:grin:

I've finished up with enough HTML and CSS to feel like I've got a basis in it, but really need a project that entrains it so I feel really proficient. That is my base and it has given me some confidence to start working in some of the 'real' languages. So right now got a class in PHP that I've been procrastinating on for weeks, that I need to crank on (time runs out Jan 1 2015, but should be possible to wrap up the whole thing in about two weeks of solid work). Also need to take on Python to prep for a Masters program I'm trying to get into starting next year. After that (or along the way) SQL really should be my next move.

However, beyond all of that (six months from now maybe?) I would really like to start looking at Java. It just sounds like such a powerful language.

I've heard that there are quite a few guys/gals not even old enough to drive or vote who are getting gigs as app developers for mobiles  :grin: Pretty cool!

Because I have a lot of background in 'traditional' social science research, statistics, human research ethics, and methodology, I'm moving in a "data scientist" direction and will ostensibly be eventually working with things like Pig, and hadoop. But mobile apps are very interesting.

Back
Top Bottom