Greatest comanders of the ancient and medieval world

Ghenghis khhan vs alexander the great, who will win in a 20000 vs 20000 battle

• Genghis khan

Votes: 24 53.3%
  • alexander the great

Votes: 21 46.7%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

This is a thread about which is the greatest commander of the ancient and medieval world. If you vote for others, you are more than welcome  to put it in the topic. For me it is genghis khan.

edit: Now the thread is about who will win, genghis or alexander.
Army composition

Genghis- 6000 horse archers and 8000 lancers and troops, the rest are footman
Alexander- Around 10000 for phalanx, 4000 greek hoplites, 2000 elite cavalry, 4000 peltast.

Flavius Belisarius - Βελισάριος

001.jpg

03.jpg

getphoto.jpg

000088_xlarge.jpg

Callinicum%2B4.JPG

002.jpg

Velizarius%2B1g.jpg

TER_04_Justinian.jpg

DSCF9261.jpg

Khalid Bin Al Walid - خالد بن الوليد

2013-BDAS-06-KHALID.jpg

003.JPG

picture1fl.png

101.jpg

102.jpg

002.JPG

I have to go with Alexander. He has endured throughout the ages as one of the, if not the, greatest military commanders to have ever lived. Whilst Genghis Khan is a close rival for the top spot, I personally have to give it to the Macedonian.

rapier17 said:
I have to go with Alexander. He has endured throughout the ages as one of the, if not the, greatest military commanders to have ever lived. Whilst Genghis Khan is a close rival for the top spot, I personally have to give it to the Macedonian.

x2

Same here, but mostly because I dislike the Mongols on a moral level. Not that Alexander was the white gloved spotless conqueror but the Mongols were a little too genocide-y for my tastes.

There's no Tsubodai on that list, so I voted for Genghis, as Tsubodai was his general.

Tsubodai conquered more square kilometers of land than any other man in history.

rapier17 said:
I concur, actually had an argument on youtube with people saying Alexander would've got his ass kicked by Germans

Eh, I'll probably go with Saladin.

He was the first and maybe the only man that was able to unite the racially and religiously disparate muslim groups under his leadership. One of the main reasons that the Crusaders had been succesful before Saladin was that local muslim rulers fought each other.

He also tended to be merciful and chivalrous in victory; So much that so he was admired and respected by both christians and muslims.

Saladin also displayed chivalry at times which put european knights to shame. At a time when the Crusaders slaughtered Muslims with abandon, Saladin allowed the Christian residents of Jerusalem to be ransomed for a small fee. Those who were unable to pay the fee were released free of charge.

Das Longbowman said:

He was the first and maybe the only man that was able to unite the racially and religiously disparate muslim groups under his leadership. One of the main reasons that the Crusaders had been succesful before Saladin was that local muslim rulers fought each other.

He also tended to be merciful and chivalrous in victory; So much that so he was admired and respected by both christians and muslims.

Saladin also displayed chivalry at times which put europeam knights to shame. At a time when the Crusaders slaughtered Muslims with abandon, Saladin allowed the Christian residents of Jerusalem to be ransomed for a small fee. Those who were unable to pay the fee were released free of charge.

I like that, he wasn't just a great military leader but a great diplomat as well.

actually, he lost his first eye in a fight & then the other during the war!
His dying wish was to have his skin used to make drums
so that he might continue to lead his troops even after death!

QWW said:
Das Longbowman said:

Saladin also displayed chivalry at times which put europeam knights to shame. At a time when the Crusaders slaughtered Muslims with abandon, Saladin allowed the Christian residents of Jerusalem to be ransomed for a small fee. Those who were unable to pay the fee were released free of charge.

I like that, he wasn't just a great military leader but a great diplomat as well.

He was a great diplomat, agreed, but his military leadership was actually rather poor if you look at how often he lost.  It just happened to be that he finally achieved a military victory of significance primarily through the Crusader's over confidence and brash actions at Hattin.  Jerusalem (and the rest of the conquest of the Kingdom of Jerusalem) was just a follow-up on that victory.

Getting back to the pole, I am surprised Hannibal isn't an option up there.  I agree with others that Alexander the Great and Ghengis Khan are at the top though.

Das Longbowman said:

Saladin also displayed chivalry at times which put european knights to shame. At a time when the Crusaders slaughtered Muslims with abandon, Saladin allowed the Christian residents of Jerusalem to be ransomed for a small fee. Those who were unable to pay the fee were released free of charge.
Yes but you must understand the point of view the Christians had: They had a Pope that told them if they traveled and killed "Heathans" in the Holy Land they would have a free passage into Heaven... Also, they considered the heathens infidels. If you study history you can see that Christains consider any other relgion inferor to there's which compels them to kill anything that doesnt beliveve in what they think. You must remember more people have been killed in the name of God than anything else.

LordNate77 said:
Das Longbowman said:

Yes but you must understand the point of view the Christians had: They had a Pope that told them if they traveled and killed "Heathans" in the Holy Land they would have a free passage into Heaven... Also, they considered the heathens infidels. If you study history you can see that Christains consider any other relgion inferor to there's which compels them to kill anything that doesnt beliveve in what they think. You must remember more people have been killed in the name of God than anything else.

So what's your point? What are you trying to say?

Back
Top Bottom