Are there new features that can be added in PW?

Users who are viewing this thread

Heroes_Witch_King

Hello everyone, I have a couple of questions.

Question #1: Are there any differences in making a PW mod to require both Warband and Napoleonic Wars? What I mean is what exactly does this do? Which new features are available for a modder if he makes it require NW also?

Question #2: Since PW has a lot of limitations, and I would like to make a mod that will have a lot of new features, I am wondering if it could be possibly done to make WSE compatible with PW? Maybe if I use the binaries of the older version of Warband which is compatible with WSE-Warband Script Enhancer to work with the PW module system?  Or maybe should I try to create a totally different version of WSE, like cRPG uses WSE 2, which was especially made for that mod?

Heroes_Witch_King said:
Question #1: Are there any differences in making a PW mod to require both Warband and Napoleonic Wars? What I mean is what exactly does this do? Which new features are available for a modder if he makes it require NW also?

I believe it's to be able to use NW's resources such as ships, muskets, buildings etc... and also its code.
But, by doing this, I think you must have to put the NW protection system. That means only players owning NW will be able to join.
To be confirmed.

Heroes_Witch_King said:
Question #2: Since PW has a lot of limitations, and I would like to make a mod that will have a lot of new features, I am wondering if it could be possibly done to make WSE compatible with PW? Maybe if I use the binaries of the older version of Warband which is compatible with WSE-Warband Script Enhancer to work with the PW module system?  Or maybe should I try to create a totally different version of WSE, like cRPG uses WSE 2, which was especially made for that mod?

The main problem is that WSE doesn't currently support the Warband version PW currently runs on (1.158, the last one), integrating WSE to the mod would lead to a downgrade to an older version of the game. Making a different version of WSE for the mod would imply that you own the source code to compile the binaries, which I don't recall being avaible publicly. cRPG's case is different because one of its developers happens to be the one who actually created WSE (thus an unique version especially made for it).

The only solution would probably be a downgrade for the reasons mentioned above. WSE is not likely to be updated anymore, especially considering the concern of most people highly expecting the next game instead of actively developing on the current one.

Edit: The source code has apparently been released.

cmpxchg8b said:
Can't really find the time to update this (and 1.158 is not even the final patch), so here's the source.
Use it however you want, just don't expect me to do tech support. :smile:

Heroes_Witch_King said:
No new engine features, since the features added for NW were all added in Warband versions starting from 1.150. The only benefits are the character and scene prop models, animations and sounds. I don't know how to integrate the NW launcher and new scripted features with PW: since the module system of both mods diverged widely from Native, it would probably require a lot of skilful programming work to integrate features from each mod together.
Heroes_Witch_King said:
I merged the WSE headers a while back in response to someone else, when PW was still compatible with the WSE (both using Warband 1.153): you can find it in the PW git repository as the "merge_wse" branch, based on PW 4.0. Later releases of PW use a new operation and various bug fixes in Warband 1.157 and 1.158, so you would need to revert some code to use 1.153 with the WSE, and get all your players to downgrade or install alternate clients also (Warband 1.153 is not server compatible with 1.157 or later).

Hi Heroes_Witch_King,

I was wondering if you were able to use the Script Enhancer to modify PW (since there is a new version for Warband 1.168 now)?
I had some ideas about adding/modifying functions of the original PW so would be great to learn about your experience.

Thanks

Pygmy said:
Hi Heroes_Witch_King,

I was wondering if you were able to use the Script Enhancer to modify PW (since there is a new version for Warband 1.168 now)?
I had some ideas about adding/modifying functions of the original PW so would be great to learn about your experience.

Thanks
His account is gone and the post was from April of 2014.  Make sure you look at dates.

Pygmy said:
Hi Heroes_Witch_King,

Thanks

The WSE got updated, but im pretty sure it was for 1.167, you would have to ask vornne to do it again.

Back
Top Bottom