My Observations on the New Version

Users who are viewing this thread

Okay, I am blind then.  If you're referring to abilities like Steady Aim or Master Archer then no.  They work specifically with the weapon types described for them.  The use of firearms was never a design intention for this mod so most things have never been developed with them in mind.

my observation for the troops quality is:

Rhodox: now Rhodox is one of the best rival kingdom I ever faced. I get so many causality each time I fought them, especially in castle siege, they really tear apart my men because of their deathly crossbow. And I really like that, I like challenge and this is I think how it suppose to be.

Nords: Their foot army, combine it with Mercenary swordman, is the most fierce foot army in caldaria. And their archer also heavily armor that made flanking and destroying their archer with cavalry is not really like cutting a pancake or melting butter in the cooker. I really like them.

Khergit: Most of their soldier is horseback, and they can spam as many lancer as possible, while lancer is slightly better than Swadian man at arms, and they mostly have a troop that able to running around battle field like ferari, make it quite a painful opponent in battle field, however they considerably weak in sieging castle and defending castle, however that is how it suppose to be. And I really wish they had better veteran unit, their horse archer is not really worth a veteran recruit, they easily died and not really that "deathly".

Vaegir: They really have mediocre quality on every field. They have quite annoying and powerful foot soldier with two handed weapon, that is something that you shouldn't play with. Also they have quite decent horse troops, and their knight also quite strong.

Swadian: by standard this faction should be the most strongest faction ever, however King Harlaus seems not quite popular among his subject, his kingdom is quite weak during my gameplay, he been hated by many of his subject, and he look also quite annoying by his face. I use Swadian as my troop culture, overpowering my opponent with a lots of Man at arms and Knight, they also have good foot soldier quite strong sergeant and strong crossbowman. Using his troops culture now I already master 8 town and 15 castle, I nearly end the game. If I get praven and able to spam the special troops overthere to replace my man at arms, I believe I will be a monster in the game.

Sarranid: quite trivial. I never feel threaten by their present, except by mamluks. Their light cavalry is so weak and easy to slice, their archer running around like flies that I just need to crash it. I used to play as Sarranid in my old game, but because the condition of the troops I switch to Swadia. I think it really need huge empowering, especially in the light armor horse soldier, it easily died, the power is just more powerful than Caravan guard.

In conclusion, it is hard to imagine a asymmetrical balance. I heard windy want to refashion the Sarranid troops so I post this. But I really thank you for the Rhodox, we really had a good time together, I mostly died when I defend my castle against Rhodox or during the siege, this is the way it is, this is the balance. So I guess with the piece of mind that I gave you, I hope you can treat it also as a reference on reconfiguring other troops in the future. And I think also the Vaegir knight deserve a little bit empowerment, also Mameluks and especially Khergit Horsecavalry. Khergit horsecavalry should be a nightmare in battle field, in reference to the Mongol horde who roaming from Asia to Europe, conquering Russia in a short time, a country that no one able to capture except the Mongol. I want to feel the hordes nightmare in warband.

Thanks Windy.

Ok Windy after about 350 game days of testing there's a a few things that don't seem to be impactful or have stopped running.... i
think.

a) Katrin's supply runner skill...... Definitely has stopped working. I know it did work and saw the effects but that was 200 plus game days ago in my current game. Not sure why but testing with an all acher army, she definitely is not doing her job anymore :mad:.

b) Even when Katrin's supply runner skill was working, some archers seemed to not use the new batch of arrows. I would see some of them pull out their sword and stand there with a full set of arrows in their back :mad:.

c) the administrator skill in castle gaurd mode does not seem to be reducing garison wages as advertised. It is working for patrols, and i even see a little debug notice identify it but my garrison price seem the same.

d) What is the looting mechanic? Scavenger does not seem to make any noticeable difference and at this point with a looting skill of 8 (6+2) on my main character, it seems like a wasted useless skill. I've never gotten any higher than normal quality loot. For the character investment points, this is simply not worth it. Another point to this is, if i have to invest 8+ points into looting (24 in agility) for it to give me some above normal loot and thus become worth it, Looting is now a late end game feature. This makes it useless because by mid game most players have villages, castles and towns that make more money than you would loot. I have 2 towns and i don't even look at my loot after battles now.

e) The encumberance equation needs to be looked at. I took the time to adjust some of the armor weights in morgh for my game just so I could wear something else because alot of them had weights and restrictions too high. At level 30 (strength 1:cool: i was still essentially wearing low level light armors. Less that 30% of the armors were useable and it seems alot were high in requirements despite being low in quality and value. That is beside the point. I adjusted several values to balance a few items i wanted and at level 38 (strength 23) I'm still struggling to wear weight 15 medium armors. :cry: I cheated up a pure strength super soldier character to test and found that at stregth 30 i still couldn't wear the heavy plate weight 24 armors without severe penalties. :shock: Item balance is apart of this but i think the equation is too aggresive.

f) Tournament reward system. You did a great job improving and perfecting it. What do you think about maybe making it that the winner gets to choose their reward? I only say this because there were several times in my game where i won first place in the tournament and actually wanted the 3rd place prize because it was more valuable for me to use than the first place prize. This idea may become pointless with your item commissioning feature now coming out but just something to think on.

a) Katrin's supply runner skill...... Definitely has stopped working. I know it did work and saw the effects but that was 200 plus game days ago in my current game. Not sure why but testing with an all acher army, she definitely is not doing her job anymore :mad:.
Time in game should have no method for impacting the functionality of this skill.  Host a ticket with a copy of your save and I can make sure it is functioning properly with some debugging messages turned on.  Would it help for folks if she reported who she restocked?  I would suspect most folks would find this spammy even at a few archers per minute (consider having a lot of Swadian Supply Runners doing this).

b) Even when Katrin's supply runner skill was working, some archers seemed to not use the new batch of arrows. I would see some of them pull out their sword and stand there with a full set of arrows in their back :mad:.
The engine unfortunately controls the AI in this regard.  I can merely give them the tools, but they'll choose how to use them.

c) the administrator skill in castle gaurd mode does not seem to be reducing garison wages as advertised. It is working for patrols, and i even see a little debug notice identify it but my garrison price seem the same.
Again a ticket with your save game would be helpful, but from my end this appears to be functional with debugging messages turned on.  Would it be more helpful to see how much of a reduction the ability grants?  Most of these abilities were designed to work behind the scenes so that they were subtle, but in some cases their benefit is appearing to be a little too subtle.  Transparency is also a good thing...considering how the morale log report works now and easily lets someone see why their morale is what it is.

d) What is the looting mechanic? Scavenger does not seem to make any noticeable difference and at this point with a looting skill of 8 (6+2) on my main character, it seems like a wasted useless skill. I've never gotten any higher than normal quality loot. For the character investment points, this is simply not worth it. Another point to this is, if i have to invest 8+ points into looting (24 in agility) for it to give me some above normal loot and thus become worth it, Looting is now a late end game feature. This makes it useless because by mid game most players have villages, castles and towns that make more money than you would loot. I have 2 towns and i don't even look at my loot after battles now.
I answered this in the "Ask Here" thread.  It's long and boring, but it is detailed.

e) The encumberance equation needs to be looked at. I took the time to adjust some of the armor weights in morgh for my game just so I could wear something else because alot of them had weights and restrictions too high. At level 30 (strength 1:cool: i was still essentially wearing low level light armors. Less that 30% of the armors were useable and it seems alot were high in requirements despite being low in quality and value. That is beside the point. I adjusted several values to balance a few items i wanted and at level 38 (strength 23) I'm still struggling to wear weight 15 medium armors. :cry: I cheated up a pure strength super soldier character to test and found that at stregth 30 i still couldn't wear the heavy plate weight 24 armors without severe penalties. :shock: Item balance is apart of this but i think the equation is too aggresive.
Items as a whole need to be rebalanced.  This and the troop overhaul are the two key things keeping the mod from being "1.0" in my book.  That doesn't mean I'm focusing solely on them though.

f) Tournament reward system. You did a great job improving and perfecting it. What do you think about maybe making it that the winner gets to choose their reward? I only say this because there were several times in my game where i won first place in the tournament and actually wanted the 3rd place prize because it was more valuable for me to use than the first place prize. This idea may become pointless with your item commissioning feature now coming out but just something to think on.
I fully intend on redoing the tournament reward system to let you choose from a selection of items an equivalent value range (with their modifiers applied).  So you could get a plain armor or a tempered mace that are of similar value.  Some folks may not like this as it means you're going to see tournament reward values scaled back drastically.  They're still a legacy issue of the older economy balancing and reward items (like improved Black Armor) that are worth more than any merchant could hope to afford.  The need for them is less with the item commissioning, but these are immediate rewards compared to item commissioning being items built to order (they take time).  Similar code will be used between the two systems which is why this is an update coming right behind the item commissioning.

Great observations so far from everyone.  As always, I appreciate the candid feedback.

- I took another look and the admin skill for garrison discount is working properly. Guess the initial numbers were too small for me to pick up on the difference. Once you have a town with a sizeable budget, it makes a huge difference. You maybe right that putting a line on the budget, just like the patrols, showing the discount will be helpful in identifying the value.

- I don't think you need to spam Katrin's work on refill. especially if it's not even getting proper use by the AI. i was pointing out that my army was going dry of arrows and the refill wasn't happening like i noticed before. Not sure if it's time related or possibly, a skill over rode that one. I just know that when i first got her and that skill i payed close attention and confirmed it was working and suddenly recently, 100 game days later, I noticed that my army was running out of arrows. Now when i checked.... didn't see any signs of it working. I'll put in a ticket and upload later when i get a chance.

- I missed typed earlier. The test on encumberance was building up to a level 50 character with 50 in strength and 30+ in agility. I gave up after leveling my character to 50 because i've never leveled that high in a normal game and will probably rule all of Calradia before i get to that level. :roll: This was a strickly strength focus test, so brought into the reality that i would put some points into intelligence and charisma, i'd have to be level 60+ to use the top tier armors :???:..... maybe. Assuming it's the same formulas posted on the wiki, they are simply too hard and aggressive. Not saying I should be wearing plate armor at level 10, but if at level 50 i'm still getting top tier penalties.....  It's a great idea but essentially a broken feature until a reasonable formula is put in place. I'm focusing on the formula because it's easier to adjust 4 formula's than balancing the 1000 items.

Bankoleva said:
- I took another look and the admin skill for garrison discount is working properly. Guess the initial numbers were too small for me to pick up on the difference. Once you have a town with a sizeable budget, it makes a huge difference. You maybe right that putting a line on the budget, just like the patrols, showing the discount will be helpful in identifying the value.
Thank you.  I appreciate the confirmation as that saves me some time.

- I don't think you need to spam Katrin's work on refill. especially if it's not even getting proper use by the AI. i was pointing out that my army was going dry of arrows and the refill wasn't happening like i noticed before. Not sure if it's time related or possibly, a skill over rode that one. I just know that when i first got her and that skill i payed close attention and confirmed it was working and suddenly recently, 100 game days later, I noticed that my army was running out of arrows. Now when i checked.... didn't see any signs of it working. I'll put in a ticket and upload later when i get a chance.
Generally the AI will make use of arrows if they have them.  I just can't force them to do so without taking away their melee weapons.  When I tested Supply Runner out I had Katrin reporting which troops she restocked (via debug messages) and then just watched to see when she restocked my quiver.  If she restocked me correctly then it makes sense she's doing the same for others as it is the same kind of command.

- I missed typed earlier. The test on encumberance was building up to a level 50 character with 50 in strength and 30+ in agility. I gave up after leveling my character to 50 because i've never leveled that high in a normal game and will probably rule all of Calradia before i get to that level. :roll: This was a strickly strength focus test, so brought into the reality that i would put some points into intelligence and charisma, i'd have to be level 60+ to use the top tier armors :???:..... maybe. Assuming it's the same formulas posted on the wiki, they are simply too hard and aggressive. Not saying I should be wearing plate armor at level 10, but if at level 50 i'm still getting top tier penalties.....  It's a great idea but essentially a broken feature until a reasonable formula is put in place. I'm focusing on the formula because it's easier to adjust 4 formula's than balancing the 1000 items.
I'm really not sure what you mean here.  Encumbrance doesn't factor in your level at all.  Are you referring to how high would you need to get a given skill to have no encumbrance penalty while wearing plate mail?  If so, then that is the point of having an encumbrance penalty to discourage you from doing just that.  For folks who dislike it they can easily disable it in the mod options.  There are also some character abilities designed around easing encumbrance such as Nimble, Indomitable and even Endurance to a lesser degree.  I may be misunderstanding your point here though.

- I have never seen Katrin restock my quiver. I'm a bow and arrow fiend so that i would notice. Though since i normally field some 50+ archers there's a chance she simply never got to me. Also is there a range? A in if i'm not within a certain distance to her, i wouldn't get restocked?  I'll take the time later to test with debug on and see if it shows anything.

- I'll try and explain my thoughts here to see if it makes some sense. My thought of encumberance is that it is a system in place to limit and give some sense of progression to the player. As you level up you gain access and use to new gear that you could essentially buy at level 1 but you weren't strong enough to use or you can use but at a price. The stronger you get, the more capable you are until eventually you can use the best stuff. It's a great concept and a feature i like to use as it adds to the realism and balance of the game.

What i'm trying to point out however is that the feature is too strong. Most features operate with an ideal level in mind. Before that ideal level, it's a challenge and something you work towards. You get to that level and life gets easier, there's a sence of accomplishment and reward for all your hard work. This Feature seems to have no level sweet spot, or the level is so high no would ever really get there. No achievable goal. At the highest level i can see myself achieving honestly, there's a whole batch of items that i still can't use because the penalties are still extreme.

Maybe i'm viewing it wrong and possibly no one else really uses the feature, so it doesn't matter. You're right that you can just turn it off, and i did. The test pointed out to me that the feature isn't fair and balanced and that with it on there was a large portion of items i would never be able to use because there's no legitimate way to get to a comfortable level with it on. basically anything that weighs more than 15 is essentially unuseable to my character.

I haven't tested the feature with the skills and that may make a huge difference. But those are just my thoughts. 

Ok i ran a few tests and can confirm that Katrin at level 17 is not running her Supply Runner skill. I tested both in field and siege. Large army and small (15) to see if whe refills my quiver. Stood so close to her, it'd sexual harassment if it weren't the middle ages and women had rights. Let the archers run completely out of arrows and waited 3 minutes looking at all of them to see if there was any difference. Reissued fire orders just to exhaust all options i could. Also had debug on.

NOTHING :sad:

When i first got her and the skill i checked and know it was working in some capacity. Enough for me pay attention to detail to notice. Definitely not running now.

Uploaded my save game with the tag line "Katrins Supply Run not working". Play around and test as you wish. Let me know if there's anything else i can do to help.

Hey Team,

I finally had some more time to play the current Silverstag build, I love it.

I know some of these things have been mentioned before but some of them deserve another round, some of them may be bugs but in a quick search I was not able to find them.

Buildings.
I am really enjoying the larger variety of buildings in the game. I am unsure if you intend to continue to add new ones but I would fully support that, with them emblems it also makes it possible to to do dedicated investment in an area if you are willing to pay the 6 emblems pers building to have it instantly completed for free.

New Troops.
I was not a massive fan of the new troop system originally however with your new method of being able to level them up twice I think it is a great balance. It does also stop people taking the lowest level troops and growing them into a high end tire 7 units which in effect would just not happen. So big ups on that. I also appreciate the work that has gone into the idea of unique troops, the need to carefully select a faction based on what your play style and also make best use of where to get the troops you like is something I enjoy.
I am unsure if this is a bag or if it has already been reported, but when you level up a veteran troops it loses the veteran status and shows up as a peasant recruit again. I have noticed this a number of times.

Prisoner Caravans.
I am not sure if it is just me but I have found that prisoners caravans are a great source of an instant army. What is more, attacking a prisoner caravan does not appear to give you a relationship penalty with the owner faction. So if I am short of troops, I can just go hand out near the salt mine, knock over a caravan or two and just like that I have an army with plenty of veterans and T4 units. Is this the way they are meant to be? If not then this is a bad that will require amending, maybe a -5 or -10 relationship when you attack a caravan.

Import and Export of Characters.
I am unsure how many of you use this function, but I have limited playing time so I really enjoy this function and makes it more enjoyable not to have to start from scratch every time I want to try something new. However I have noticed that when I started a new game, used the 'collect companions in the same place' function, recruited them all and then imported my own and companions from my previous game (same version, same computer, same day) that I started getting experience from the training skill. Like what you used to get in Floris at midnight, 'You have finished your days training, 100 exp' type of thing. Not that I mind, but I figure it is a left over or something in the import files.

Auto Loot System and Party Roles.
Great, this is perfect for me, spend the time early on to sort out your life and what you want folks to do and they just just do it do it for the rest of the game. I think this goes a long way to taking the grind out of the game so you can focus on the enjoyable parts, like taking the heads off your enemies and cavalry charge from the left flank to mop up the enemy archers.

Character, Unit and Companion Abilities.
I quite like these, they add another dimension to the game, allow some form of customization and also make it more interesting. Like the Bankoleva has said I am unsure if some of these skills actually work, I have found the same thing with Supply Runner, however the fact they have been thought about and added is great.

So to the whole team working on this, keep up the good work, looking forward to playing the next installment and especially the item commissioning function.

One small plea, can you please make the faction troops a priority as that will make the game much more playable while the other features come online.

Thanks again,
H.

Buildings.
I am really enjoying the larger variety of buildings in the game. I am unsure if you intend to continue to add new ones but I would fully support that, with them emblems it also makes it possible to to do dedicated investment in an area if you are willing to pay the 6 emblems pers building to have it instantly completed for free.
I've built the improvement system so that adding new ones isn't much of a burden (the core stuff, not the actual effect) so I'm always interested in hearing folks ideas for new improvements.  One aspect I want to expand the improvement system with is a system for "leveled improvements" where add-ons can be added to an improvement or they can have their current effect increased.

New Troops.
I was not a massive fan of the new troop system originally however with your new method of being able to level them up twice I think it is a great balance. It does also stop people taking the lowest level troops and growing them into a high end tire 7 units which in effect would just not happen. So big ups on that. I also appreciate the work that has gone into the idea of unique troops, the need to carefully select a faction based on what your play style and also make best use of where to get the troops you like is something I enjoy.
A lot of folks have expressed this and I'm glad that the recruitment framework is beginning to show its capability.  Everyone can thank Barnolo for continually insisting that some form of hybrid system be implemented back when v0.15 (where recruitment switched) was still being developed.  It takes a lot more work than one might think as there is a lot of code-related assigning of stats for troops in the mod than there is in Native, but it's definitely worth it.

I am unsure if this is a bag or if it has already been reported, but when you level up a veteran troops it loses the veteran status and shows up as a peasant recruit again. I have noticed this a number of times.
I apparently missed some of the troop upgrades and flagging them as recruits.  I'll be making a full pass over them again before v0.23's release to ensure that anything tier 5+ is flagged as a veteran resource.

Prisoner Caravans.
I am not sure if it is just me but I have found that prisoners caravans are a great source of an instant army. What is more, attacking a prisoner caravan does not appear to give you a relationship penalty with the owner faction. So if I am short of troops, I can just go hand out near the salt mine, knock over a caravan or two and just like that I have an army with plenty of veterans and T4 units. Is this the way they are meant to be? If not then this is a bad that will require amending, maybe a -5 or -10 relationship when you attack a caravan.
Interesting strategy.  It was intended to an extent, but there was supposed to be reprecussions with the faction that owned the caravan.  It seems I left that out and need to implement it.  How's the cash gains from the caravans?  If you attack them after they drop off their prisoners you should gain any cash they earned which means that you're also depriving that fief's lord from gaining that income.

Import and Export of Characters.
I am unsure how many of you use this function, but I have limited playing time so I really enjoy this function and makes it more enjoyable not to have to start from scratch every time I want to try something new. However I have noticed that when I started a new game, used the 'collect companions in the same place' function, recruited them all and then imported my own and companions from my previous game (same version, same computer, same day) that I started getting experience from the training skill. Like what you used to get in Floris at midnight, 'You have finished your days training, 100 exp' type of thing. Not that I mind, but I figure it is a left over or something in the import files.
I haven't decided yet what to do about the old training skill.  I may yet re-implement it and make the current mod-based trainer skill into something else now that there are hybrid trees showing up.

One small plea, can you please make the faction troops a priority as that will make the game much more playable while the other features come online.
This is kind of a mixed bag.  We have the generous help of a few players working to design each faction so that we can get this part of the mod done.  This is important as it leaves me available to correct bugs and implement newer features that require coding.  Once the initial designs are complete then a period of fine-tuning goes in to get the initial troops set where we want them before I create the upgrades and add in the coding to support their prerequisites / abilities.  One thing we're trying to do with each faction is give them some of their own unique abilities to further improve their flavor as well.

Right now the Vaegirs are mostly done and will come with v0.23.  The Khergits & Nords are in progress and should hopefully come with v0.24.  Sarranids and Silverstag's custom faction will be the final ones in v0.25.  Item balancing is now back in progress and will probably filter into available releases as item types are ready.

I would like to recognize these folks for their help and remind everyone without their work to build on several other non-troop related improvements (garrison recruiting, emblems, item commissioning, etc..) wouldn't have come about as Dawg and I would have had to focus solely this aspect of production.

Swadia, Nords - Leifdin
Vaegirs, Khergits - Huillam
Item Balancing - Diessa & Bankoleva

H. said:
I finally had some more time to play the current Silverstag build, I love it.
So to the whole team working on this, keep up the good work, looking forward to playing the next installment and especially the item commissioning function.
Thanks for taking the time to give feedback.  It is always a boost to my own enthusiasm for the project.  I just wish I had the time to fully support it right now, but that time will return in mid-May once my work schedule again permits it.

Windyplains said:
Prisoner Caravans.
Interesting strategy.  It was intended to an extent, but there was supposed to be reprecussions with the faction that owned the caravan.  It seems I left that out and need to implement it.  How's the cash gains from the caravans?  If you attack them after they drop off their prisoners you should gain any cash they earned which means that you're also depriving that fief's lord from gaining that income.
I'm always on the lookout for a good prisoner caravan, but I've never tried attacking them unless I was at war with the owner.  There should be some penalty with the owner, I think.

Never tried attacking them after they dropped off the prisoners, either.  Rescuing the prisoners is the whole point.

UniversalWolf said:
Never tried attacking them after they dropped off the prisoners, either.  Rescuing the prisoners is the whole point.
The idea was to give you the option of either tactic, but there will definitely be a penalty added in.

On a side note:
Silverstag just pulled into the #3 highest endorsed mod of all time on Nexus' Warband site.  Thanks everyone for helping the mod's visibility grow so other folks can find it.  When I came back to building the mod last year into its own standalone it wasn't even listed in the top 100.  Now begins the takeover of moddb where it has had less time to spread its influence. :wink:

I only attack prisoner caravan of the faction that I declared war with, and the caravan guard is amazingly so weak and the reward is hugely empowering. By knowing you can attack prisoner caravan of the faction that you are not in war with this is really crucial and need to be put as priority for the next patch. Sometime I can get 100 soldier from one caravan, and this things can cause huge imbalance within the game. But anyway I love prisoner caravan system, that is really a good idea.

2 things i want to chime in and confirm.

1) Supply runners are suffering from the same infection Katrin has.... AKA their skill isn't working either.

2) I attacked 2 prisoner caravans after they sold their prisoners...... NO bonus denars. I purposely tracked one caravan that hat 107 prisoners.... 9 of which were top quality veteran troops (given the veteran need, of course i looked for them specifically). Attacked after sale and my wallet increased a total of 122 denars. Something is not triggering. I got the same i would have gotten for killing a group of random bandits.

Windyplains said:
Silverstag just pulled into the #3 highest endorsed mod of all time on Nexus' Warband site.
Neato.  Good job.  Well, you've come up with some revolutionary ideas and implemented them successfully, so it's nice to see them rewarded with popularity.

Windyplains said:
Silverstag just pulled into the #3 highest endorsed mod of all time on Nexus' Warband site.  Thanks everyone for helping the mod's visibility grow so other folks can find it.  When I came back to building the mod last year into its own standalone it wasn't even listed in the top 100.  Now begins the takeover of moddb where it has had less time to spread its influence. :wink:

Ooh. I should do that too! Just a little 'thank you' for an amazing mod!

Back
Top Bottom