Egypt, Morsi, and the coup

Users who are viewing this thread

Tiberius Decimus Maximus said:
So I'd say the issues now aren't resulted from some major societal divide between city folk and rural people, as you suggest, but that the opposition is struggling to organize itself into a reasonable force, while the Muslim Brotherhood attempted to solidify its power over Egypt and prevent the liberal parties from becoming a force to be reckoned with.
Good analysis but I would contend that the division, largely, exists between city and rural folk as well. MB is most powerful in the countryside, though it has lost support there as well.

Anyway, five people dead in Alexandria and the massive rallies for both sides continue:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-23472072

Seff said:
Bugmanina said:
Found a way out of your hidey-hole, eh?

Older, wiser and (hopefully) less insane!

As morbid as it may sound, five dead is a lot less than I actually expected. I imagine revised totals once the police and army have "restored order".

Clone Ramses II and install him as Pharaoh.

Once your dictator has finished installing reboot your country to complete the install.

I will to quote the King of Shadows on this one just for fun:

"Frightened mortals clamor for one to lead them, to protect them from all they fear. But when the threat is gone, they shall come to fear you - and tear you down."

Pharaoh Llandy said:
Jhessail said:
the Muslim Brotherhood

I wish they'd find a different name for themselves, because here's what always pops up into my brane whenever I read/hear 'Brotherhood':

sV64N.jpg

This is what I see:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKy4BdOVsZI

We need to build a Temple of Nod in Cairo and bring Joseph Kucan there as the Messiah!

Egypt is going to destabilize to the point of civil war, I don't see any other resolution to this but mass arrest and killing of either the Muslim Brotherhood, or the liberal masses that coincide with the military's assistance.

Whats unfortunate is that truly, is that their President was democratically elected, and the forces that tore down Mubarak didn't turn out in the same size to vote for representatives of their political ideas. Yet, these Islamic politicians in their own narrow-minded peripherals pushed through with an agenda so conservatively islamist that it brought these repercussions upon them. And from what I read and heard, they just went right over the heads of the more moderate voices in the elective, so the fact that a major portion of the country is up in arms due to this is obvious too. They wanted to take a country as secular and liberal as Turkey, and 180' it into Saudi Arabia. Stupid.

Now the Egyptian military is emulating that Star Trek meme of the Captain with his hand on his forehead sighing:"Not this **** again, my god..."

Suspicious Pilgrim said:
I don't think there'll be a civil war, seeing as how no one's calling for one and most of the fighting would be in a developed urban space.

Well, I don't see where else this is going Inconspicuous Pilgrim, though its surprising if very biased that the Muslim Brotherhood are being much more mature about this than the "other side".

And why not no fighting in an urban environment? Siege of Carthage, Stalingrad, Berlin, Killzone, Guild Wars 2 WvW Stonemost Citadel building Trebuchets and Catapults to stem the oncoming tide of death and decay. Sometimes the greatest concentration of imperfect human beings is the greatest spell for disaster.

EMHRY BAY!

There aren't exactly two sides here. There's the Morsi supporters, anti-Morsimen, and the military. The latter faction is only interested in maintaining order.

...and did you seriously just use Carthage as an example of urban warfare? Christ, not only do I mean *modern* warfare, but heavily urbanized areas like Alexandria are the homes of the middle class. Historically, rebellions consist of the middle class manipulating the poor to rebel against the rich. Seeing as how most of the rich and middle class dislike Morsi and the poor support him (logical assumption here), not only would a rebellion be a bunch of poor dudes throwing rocks before being squashed underfoot by the military and possible militias, the origins would be in the countryside despite the fact the population is mostly in the cities.

It's getting worse.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-23474645

"As we left, a child was dragged from a car by the Morsi supporters outside the mosque. He was given a very serious beating."

Suspicious Pilgrim said:
There aren't exactly two sides here. There's the Morsi supporters, anti-Morsimen, and the military. The latter faction is only interested in maintaining order.

...and did you seriously just use Carthage as an example of urban warfare? Christ, not only do I mean *modern* warfare, but heavily urbanized areas like Alexandria are the homes of the middle class. Historically, rebellions consist of the middle class manipulating the poor to rebel against the rich. Seeing as how most of the rich and middle class dislike Morsi and the poor support him (logical assumption here), not only would a rebellion be a bunch of poor dudes throwing rocks before being squashed underfoot by the military and possible militias, the origins would be in the countryside despite the fact the population is mostly in the cities.

I apologize I'm being to immature, haven't slept at all.

You're correct there are three sides, but the military wants the anti-Morsi to go out and protest as much as they can to give their coup legitimacy, and the anti-Morsi want the military to apprehend the Muslim Brotherhood and establish another secular government free of Islamic reactionaryism. They're both so intertwined its reasonable to claim they're one team. Both anti-Morsi and the military are extremely uncomfortable and deeply cautious of the Islamist's to start with, but that's mute now, its beyond that.

Wasn't being serious. I don't see why conflict can't begin in an urban setting, that's where the concentration of population is, its been happening forever lol. The super-majority of poor supported Ahmadinejad in Iran that, yet the Green Party and the Islamist's (don't know the parties name) did all the protesting and clashing within the urban landscape. As you've stated, the rural side is sparsely populated, the greatest hot spots that occur in Syria are within the urban centers. Nobody cares about how developed an area is, matter of factly its natural that you'll fight for areas where its economically thriving. Unless we're talking different doctrines here, I'm not sure we're on the same wavelength?

Suspicious Pilgrim said:
I don't think there'll be a civil war, seeing as how no one's calling for one and most of the fighting would be in a developed urban space.

Really? Morsi supporters have threatened civil war multiple times.  :???:

Back
Top Bottom