Author Topic: Your own Knighthood Order in POP 3.6 - tutorial  (Read 86137 times)

MadVader

• Grandmaster Knight
  • White cat cavalry to the rescue!
    • View Profile
    • Prophesy of Pendor
  • Faction: Neutral
  • M&BWB
Your own Knighthood Order in POP 3.6 - tutorial
« on: March 26, 2013, 09:28:51 AM »
You can create your very own Knighthood Order in PoP 3.6. You can name the Order and its knights and sergeants, upgrade their equipment and train them to become the best Order in Pendor.

Be warned, it will be a long and costly process, but ultimately rewarding.

For starters, you need a castle or a town of your own.
You create your Order the same as any other, but you need a Qualis Gem, 70 Honor and the usual 20000 gold.
Talk to the steward first and click the War Room option. There's a "Create a New Order!" option there.
(click to show/hide)
Then, you get to name it and its knights and sergeants.
(click to show/hide)
And you are done. Go back to the castle hall... who are these peasants guarding your hall?
(click to show/hide)
These are your Order troops... raw and under-equipped for now.
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
Let's see what we can do with them.
(click to show/hide)
You notice that you can get them from Sarleon Knights and Men-at-Arms at some prestige cost. This depends on your culture - in this game I'm a Sarleon vassal, other cultures have different source troops.

Let's see what can be done about equipment. The Scarlet Knights badly need a much better armor.
(click to show/hide)
Once in the equipment screen, you have all the armor available in stores on the right, and your knight is on the left (ignore the middle troop... engine limitations).
(click to show/hide)
Drag and drop the armor you want to the leftmost troop, your knight. The upgrade cost and time are in the item info pop-up.
(click to show/hide)
Note that the items on the right are only those that your troops can use. For advanced equipment to become available, you'll need to train your Order troops and increase their stats - we'll get to that later. For example, your sergeants start with Riding skill of 0 - you won't be able to give them horses at the beginning until their Riding increases!
(click to show/hide)
Confirm the upgrade and you are done.
You can only upgrade one item at a time for each knights and sergeants. You'll get a message when the upgrade is complete, or you can ask your steward how many more days it will take.

Now, how about training your Order troops? Their stats are miserable.
You need skilled companions, preferably with good Training skill. They will be able to train your knights up to their own attribute (Strength/Agility), skills and weapon proficiencies levels. Eventually.
Let's talk to Leth (in our party screen) and send him on a mission to train your Order.
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
Once he comes back, he'll report on the stat increases.
(click to show/hide)
That's good, but more training will be needed - months of it.

After several months, our sergeants now look like this. They are ready.
(click to show/hide)
The castle hall looks more dignified with such well-equipped guards too.
(click to show/hide)

Your Order troops are now ready for the battles to come.
(click to show/hide)

Make them unique. Equip and train them well. Conquer Pendor.

Tips:
- You can join your Order, but you'll be unable to progress through ranks and miss out on some rewards. Join another Order instead.
- Note that equipment for your troops won't show up if they don't have the stats to wield it, like armor with high Strength requirements, bows with high Power Draw requirements, horses with high Riding requirements etc. Train your troops some more to see more equipment.
- Replacing existing equipment will give you a discount of time and money for the new item (1/3 of the old item price and time).
- Train your steward in Trade to get more reasonable prices for the equipment upgrades.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 12:48:11 AM by MadVader »

Deckenpuppel

• Squire
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bandit
Re: Your own Knighthood Order in POP 3.6 - tutorial
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 10:11:06 AM »
This is going to be awesome. In fact very awesome. Maybe too awesome to be true?

If this is for real, there will be so many Fish Knights and Order of the Pink Pansies that Pendor is going to drown in them  :o.
You think I am evil? But look, I am smiling!

noosers

• Grandmaster Knight
  • Farewell, Fawzia
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Swadian
  • M&BWB
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 10:13:13 AM »
You should add this post to the FAQ as well, MV.

So basically, yes, your CumstoMizableKnightHoodOrder will be totally useless fresh off the egg.
So basically, yes, your CMKHO will have crappier stats than their recruits.

But hey, your CMKHO has total customization. It´s probably not something you want to invent immediately after you took your first castle but rather something you´ll create and train in those long boring times of peace which won´t be that boring anymore as fully upgrading and training your CMKHO takes ages and costs a fortune. But once you´re there you got exactly what you wanted. If it´s Fish Knights, Pink Pansies, Loincloth Lions or Deckenpuppels Puppets is up to you.

The only tricky part is gender. If you want female order knights, you need to be careful what you pick. But since we´re still testing it, some minor tweak for magickal sex transformation may appear.

Bonus points if you have Donovan drill your Sergeants

« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 10:21:09 AM by noosers »

MadVader

• Grandmaster Knight
    • View Profile
    • Prophesy of Pendor
  • M&BWB
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 10:23:11 AM »
You can have female knights only if you are of Fierdsvain culture, since only they have a female noble troop tree. Of course, cross-dressing is an option too. :)

Zim45

• Sergeant at Arms
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 11:01:50 AM »
That is awesome. Just when I think the mod couldn't possibly be any more amazing, I find something like this is being added.

I get the feeling it would be too much to hope features like this from 3.6 will be save game compatible with our current games. One of my current characters is just the type I could see founding an order. On the other hand I have been meaning to start an Empire based character someday and a custom order of Cataphracts would be very cool.  :D
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 11:45:53 AM by Zim45 »

MadVader

• Grandmaster Knight
    • View Profile
    • Prophesy of Pendor
  • M&BWB
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2013, 11:44:17 AM »
That's nice to hear.
Unfortunately there's no save game compatibility. It's pretty hard to keep compatibility and most of the time impossible if you are making substantial changes like the ones in 3.6.

Hinkl

• Sergeant at Arms
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bandit
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2013, 11:48:03 AM »
Simply WOW
Build a fire for a man and you keep him warm for a day.

Set a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.

Zim45

• Sergeant at Arms
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2013, 11:52:02 AM »
Seeing how big of an adjustment this alone is I'm not surprised to hear it.  Just gives me a new character to plan for while I continue my current one in the meantime. :D

I forsee a lengthy "Post your Knighthood Order" thread coming out soon after the new version comes out...
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 11:54:21 AM by Zim45 »

minimumdifficulty

• Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2013, 01:10:00 PM »
I have a love/hate relationship with previews.  Love the information, hate the additional anticipation 

noosers

• Grandmaster Knight
  • Farewell, Fawzia
    • View Profile
  • M&BWB
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2013, 01:19:03 PM »
Well, one thing you may be sure of is that it´s working as intended.

MV has gained considerable skill as coder through all the projects he participated and me the devteam is pretty experienced in bitching extended testing and abusation of nerves and morale, things and features.

So it will be pretty bug-free and hopefully working without any major gamebreaking glitches or breakdowns.
The release will show.

Borge_AU

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2013, 03:35:41 PM »
My god this looks incredible! Amazing feature and cannot wait to train up my knights to rival even the Noldor.  :)

Literally just today i was thinking "Wouldn't it be awesome if i could have custom knights in Pendor, like outfitting mercenaries in Fire & Sword", and then MadVader comes along and makes dreams come true.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 03:39:11 PM by Borge_AU »

M0rdred

• Master Knight
  • Ex-PoP4 Lead Designer
    • View Profile
    • My writer's blog.
  • Faction: Nord
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2013, 03:45:10 PM »
Literally just today i was thinking "Wouldn't it be awesome if i could have custom knights in Pendor, like outfitting mercenaries in Fire & Sword", and then MadVader comes along and makes dreams come true.

He can read minds, its why he is such a good coder ;)

Articulo34

• Sergeant Knight at Arms
    • View Profile
  • MP nick: Articulo34
  • WB
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2013, 04:04:45 PM »
WTF? Am I dreaming? My own Knighthood order? That is cool beyond words.
"Hitler ist ein Trottel, Mussolini auch!" - Homer J. Simpson

placenik

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2013, 04:27:10 PM »
So it seems I'll need to beef up some companion since there is no way to upgrade my order by myself...

WhiteSparrow

• Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2013, 05:31:50 PM »
Holy.... this sounds absolutely awesome! Looking forward to 3.6 a great deal after hearing about this. Thank you!

You can have female knights only if you are of Fierdsvain culture, since only they have a female noble troop tree. Of course, cross-dressing is an option too. :)

Hm. Would it be too crazy an idea to have female Order Knights from the Maiden Nobles as with the Falcons in 3.51? Or just have the option for female sergeants/squires from one of the other Maiden troops for non-Fierdsvain cultures?

Regardless, this feature, along with the briefly mentioned stronghold, sounds like e a ton of fun!
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 05:37:47 PM by WhiteSparrow »