Re: AAR - Desmondes | Chapter 16 posted

Users who are viewing this thread

Chapter 11 : Quest failer
17 July 1257

Dear Diary,

I woke up that morning in Dhirim, fresh and ready for action. Right away I woke up my men, so they can prepare for move in time and have a breakfast. When they were eating, I was busy in sharpening my sword and checking my arrows, all in order to be ready. So I had to eat on saddle. We left the safety of city walls somewhere around noon, riding on the road leading to the north, inside the Mechin forest. Mechin forest is called that way because of village ( of same name) inside this forest. It is also well known as the battlefield between the Nords from Knudarr castle and Vaegirs from Radoghir castle. In fact, Matheld told me that she fought on the Nordian side on that battlefield in the last three years ( then she left and began travellings, only to join us after six months).
However, we saw the Nordian army approaching to the nearby Radoghir castle to start the siege upon it, but we turned on the other side, avoiding their scouts. We crossed one of the bridges on the Black river, passed near the Tehlrog castle ( I smiled when I remembered how I saved one boyar from there) and we were there, in Sargoth, somwhere around dusk. Next morning I leaved my troops behind (into the city ) and continued to the Kwynnslaend, passing the Bridge of Tushkul ( also known as the Eastern bridge) and making stop at the village of Kwynn. I rode to the house of the village elder to make a deal with him, I needed him to assist me in my plan. Namely, the conversation flowed in  this way:

- "Good day, sir, and welcome to Kwynn. I am the elder of this village, what can I do for you?" he asked.

- "I need you to set a large fire on the outskirts of this village." I responded directly.

- "A fire, sir! Fires are dangerous! Why would you want such a thing?" he was curious.

- "I have my reasons, and you will have yours -- a purse of the silver. Will you do it, or not?"

I saw his facial expression, and in that moment I knew that the farmer thinks how much money will be able to draw out of me, so I decided to pre-empt him. So I threw a purse (with 300 denars in it) at his feet. "Take it. And continue with your preparations, One hour from now, I need that fire."

As you see, this was a quite simple deal. And of course, my plan was ingenious. After I left the village I rode to the north, and stop on the little hill in front of the castle. I came down from the horse, and tied him to the nearby tree, just out of the sight of castle guards. I waited for a few minutes, and saw the castle gates opening. The almost complete castle force was marching towards the village, thinking how some boyar is raiding village. When they bypassed me, I entered the castle courtyard. The castle and walls were very big, built with stones brought from Dhirim' stonepits, and were built in old Swadian way. Why is that so? Because Thane Curin of Tihr was also the Swadian prince (from his mother's side), and he wanted to build a castle with protection of stone walls, because Vaegirs were conquering their land (leaded by their Grand Emperor Merlek III. the Great). So he built this castle in 839., to stop the Vaegirs before they can reach the Tihr. And he indeed succeeded with that plan. Why I am writing about history of almost every place I visit? Because it is amazing and because I am afraid I will forget all that. And how I knew all this stuff?! Because my homeland was under the Empire a whole century, and we learn all about Calradia in books.
To get back to the story, in courtyard I was pretending I am captain from Sargoth (they believed it because of my armour)  who came inspecting their soldiers. But of course, there weren't many of them - only prison guard and a few guards on walls. So I came close to the prison guard, and cut the head off his shoulders. I entered the prison, released Count Klargus from his chains and gave him his weapon. I also released the rest of the prisoners and ordered to him to distract the remaining guards, so I and Klargus can leave the castle unnoticed. That plan also worked fine. We parted our ways outside, and he promised me that he will return me a favor. I mounted my horse and rode to Sargoth.

2pyw12g.jpg

Our next thing to do find the Count Clais and recieve my reward. So I found my men in tavern (what a surprise), and we quickly prepared for move. We travelled the whole day (on the same road) to got there, but now we heard how Nords from Knudarr successfully conquered the Radoghir castle - they only did it in one day! I was very surprised because Radoghir lays in front of Reyvadin, as a shield before enemy can reach the capital of Vaegiralla. However, we were at Dhirim, but it was late night, so I decided to wait till the morning before meeting with Clais.
But how bad surprise, he was not in the castle, only his wife was. So I asked her where he is, and she responded to me that he is laying siege (with some other lords) upon the Jelbegi castle, because they want to put Jelbegi pass under their control. As I did not want to go there, because it was far from Dhirim, I decided to wait for him to get back home. Of course, I didn't wait in the castle, I just decided to stay close to the town until his arrival.

So I headed to tavern. When I opened the door, I saw my men fighting with some locals. I decided to stay away from it, so I sat at the bar and drank wine. But fists were quickly replaced with swords, so I rushed because I didn't wanted to lose one of my friends. I killed three of them and quickly led my men to left the tavern.

I quickly found a job for us, because I wanted to do something in the meantime ( until end of the war campaign of Count Clais and his knights). However, our next job was to take the cattle herd from Dhirim to Reyvadin (for a 200 denars). I accepted that job just because Dhirim and Reyvadin are so close. But even if they are close, it took us whole day to direct a herd of 100 cows to Reyvadin. We were there at the morning of the next day, and I met with their guild. When I wanted to ask him if he has a job for us, he responded that I didn't even finished the previous one. I was shocked, I completely forgot about that one ( he asked me to deal with the looters around the town and I had a week to finish it).   

That was one worry more, but it gets even more complicated when I encountered King Yaroglek in his patrolling around the city. He asked me if I trained his recruits to the rank of the knights, and was very angry when found out the answer. I tried to explain to him, but he insisted that I owes him 100 denars now. A cherry on the cake of that disastrous day was my argument with Marnid, who was upset because we failed the quest, and started questioning my leadership. I calmed him by saying that it will not happen again, but I wasn't so sure about that.
Next two days we spent in (useless ) patrolling around the town, there were no looters around. Still, I encountered the Boyar Taisa, who was doing the same thing with his small party of horsemen. He was very happy to see me, because I saved him from the chains of Halmar. Of course, now he was grateful, but before just three months, he ordered to his henchmen to assassinate me in Yalen, remember? So I was tired of that pretending, so I threw him a letter (in which was written he wants me dead) in the face. In first moment he was surprised, but then he said he will forgive me my dept, if I forgive him attempted assassination. In my answer, I threw a purse full of silver in front of his legs, and I left. I was not easy on forgiving the assassination attempts.

Next day I decided to trade some iron from Curaw to Reyvadin ( Marnid's advise). So I bought a six large iron bars, and carried him all the way back to Reyvadin. it was very successful job, I bought them for 900 denars, and sold in Reyvadin for 2000 denars. We toasted all night at a tavern in Marnid's name. While we were at the Curaw on marketplace, I heard about recent Khergit conquest on Radoghir castle. Can you believe it? Nords first came by force and stole that castle from Vaegirs, only to be pushed back by Khergits, and all that happened in only five days.
So in the next morning I decided to travel to Radoghir castle, because I heard that castle is now under control of Asugan Noyan, noyan who owes me some silver. We were stopped back there in front of the walls by the Khergit archers, but we were able to enter the castle when one of the Khergit lancers came and ordered them to open the castle doors. At first I was confused by his action, but then I recognized him - it was a young man from the tavern in Tulga, Bold. We shook hands and smiled to each other, I was happy to see him again. We were walking to the entrance of the castle while my companions remained in courtyard to eat with the Khergit soldiers. That is good about Khergits, they were all together, generals eating and sleeping together with the army. Bold explained to me that he joined Asugan Noyan in his new war campaign, in which 140 horsmen rode from the Khanate to the north, to take lives of some Nordian nobles. But then Asugan found out that Radoghir castle is taken from Vaegirs, so he took the advantage of that situation and conquered it as his new fief ( his old one, Asugan castle, was taken by Sarranids because of his unloyal captain, Aels the Scarred). However, Bold had a major rule in conquest of this castle ( he sneaked in with some other archers and opened back doors for entire force of Khergits, and also conquered the lord's hall later), so he was promoted to the rank of "thaar-tusha'ig" - or simple, Khergit lancer. Khergit lancer is the biggest honour Khergit warrior can have, something as a knight, but you must earn that honour in battle.   
However, we entered the castle together, and I approached to the Asugan Noyan. He was happy to see me, especially after I gave him his ring back (which I took from Aels the Scarred after I assassinated him back there in Rduna). He gave me a purse full of silver and promised me to give me whatever I want. I was first thinking to gently reject, but then I remembered: -" I want Bold to fight in my company." He was surprised, but he accepted (Khergits are bound to the honour, and they never cross their words).

c6mph.jpg

We stayed at the castle until the afternoon, then we rode to the Curaw. In Curaw we bought another six iron bars, but now for the 1500 denars. next day we carried them back to Reyvadin, and sold for 2200 denars ( 700 denars of profit, not bad too). But in all that hurry, I forgot to hunt rest of the looters, so I failed another quest, in just few days. Artimenner was this time angry at me, he was afraid that he will never find a job in Vaegiralla if someone heard we did not respect our obligations. But this time Marnid and the rest of the crew were on my side, so he apologised to me in the end. In streets of the Reyvadin I encountered King Yaroglek with his guards, and I gave him 100 denars on which he insisted.
I was tired of that town, because of recent failures - so we rode back to the Dhirim, to see if Count Clais is came back. But now I didn't wait till the morning, I entered his castle although it was very late in the night. he was there, alongside with two other nobles, his son, Count Rafard, and Count Tredian (older brother of infamous Count Haringoth, known as the cruelest noble in Swadia). I got 1500 denars from Count Clais, he was very grateful about that. Count Rafard left the castle soon to patrol around, so I had a talk with Count Tredian, who was interested for my service. He ordered me to bring the head of one merchant in town. I accepted only because he was high in Swadian nobility. 

The merchant was laying in front of me, he was begging for mercy. The arrow was pinned in his neck, and I prepared to shoot another one. Blood was all over around him, but the wound wasn't mortal and he was able to speak (arrow pinned lower of his throat, in the clavicle). He promised to give me everything, just in order to spare hi life. I changed my mind when I heard that.

- " You are going to forget about Count Tredian's dept to you. And you will sign a paper stating that he owes you nothing."
He agreed and I left his shop before someone arrived.

But Count Tredian wasn't appreciated my help, he was very angry when he heard that merchant is still alive. He wasn't even satisfied when I gave him the paper in which merchant forgives him all of his dept, so he gave me just half of the promised silver, just 300 denars.
I was so angry, but I didn't able to do nothing. Except... challenge him to a trial of arms. He smiled, stating how dirty mercenary like me can defeat high count from ancestral family like him (in that moment I saw he is even worser than his brother, Count Haringoth XVI. from the Haringoth dinasty ).
But in the arena I showed him what he really is. Although he cut me with his sword several times ( to hand), but I knocked him with torrentional swing into his ribs ( in trial of arms, we carry silver mail under our shirts, so you can't kill the opponent in it).
When he came conscious, he admited his mistake and apologized, but without giving me full sum of money I deserved.

b6yslv.jpg

Today I collected the prize from guild master (taking a herd to Reyvadin), and resolved the fight between the Marnid and Bold. Marnid was angry at him, stating all Khergs are barbarians and raiders - because his caravan was raided by some Khergit raiders. But Bold learnt him a lession, punching him in the face several times until Marnid fell on the ground, bleeding from the nose. He drew his sword from the sheath, but then I came in and forced them to apologize one to another. I needed them both in my company, and they must learn to live together. That fight happened in the morning, at the breakfast in tavern.

Now is noon, and I will lead my men to the new adventures now. And of course, I must write about my new dream from the past ( it happened yesterday, after 20 days without it), but I will write it next time. Cheers.

Well, this chapter is......AWESOME!! Best one yet!!! I can't wait for more.. You inspired me to write a new chapter sooner!!

GAMEPLAY NOTES #3

Hello, i will write at least three new chapters next week ( but not before that), so i decided to put my updated notes in a meantime.

359ep05.jpg

I use following modes:

* Arena Overhaul mod (http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,100061.0.html) * started with
* Diplomacy 3.32 ( http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,116424.0.html) * started with
* Diplomacy 3.32+ (http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?topic=162267.0) * started with
* I play on version 1.134 * started with

* Expanded Horizons (http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?topic=145948.0) * since chapter 7
* Real water mod (http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?topic=133512.0) * since chapter 7
* Training fields (http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,144466.0.html) * since chapter 7
* Realistic colors 1.22 (http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?topic=120098.0) * since chapter 7
* Colored lances (http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?topic=123617.0) * DOESN'T WORK
* Female face model and textures replacement (http://www.mbrepository.com/file.php?id=1955) * since chapter 7
* Texture fiddling (http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?topic=150468.0) * since chapter 7

As you see, i didn't add any mods to the game, but i realized that colored lances doesn't work.

Renown rate
14j3j0o.jpg

Picture of Desmondes' current stats:
24bu2q8.jpg

That's it, if you have some advises how to improve this AAr, write it, i would be glad to hear it  :mrgreen:

Good renown over there, and wow STR 18!! Nice, but what would you do with trade and prisoner managment. A bit too low.. Are you planning on having bigger armies, or just small cavalry ones like me  :cool:

Yes, but i was working on that renown very hard (it were very bloody times  :mrgreen: ). First 100 were the hardest ones.

Yes, i was working on him to be a warrior, to pull his army forward with his strength, without fear  :cool:

For trade, i have Marnid and Ymra on my side (both skilled merchants), and about prisoner management - i don't need more then 10 prisoners now, later i will lift it higher :smile:

As you see, in this savegame, i decided to invest in Desmondes' personal strength and in persuasion and leadership, for all other skills i decided to use my companions (in old savegames i used them just as elite troops, and that was mistake).

- And, i am very glad you pointed about that :grin: At least one reader is interested in my story  :neutral:

nice gameplay and history man  :smile:
and... i may ask ( i'm not noob just new player ) how to make these modes work togheter in a single MOD folder , native as example .

leon royce said:
nice gameplay and history man  :smile:
and... i may ask ( i'm not noob just new player ) how to make these modes work togheter in a single MOD folder , native as example .

just follow the instructions of mods ( those are minimods so you can mix them with others) :smile:

P.S. expect 2 new chapters this week :grin:

hey mate , you should make some videos of your nice gameplay and send it to youtube , cause it seems to be very good and interesting .They may like . so you should then, eventually get paid w/ it . I would support you kindly in that . what do you think ?  :cool:

PS : i'm not making publicy , i'm just giving an idea .

leon royce said:
hey mate , you should make some videos of your nice gameplay and send it to youtube , cause it seems to be very good and interesting .They may like . so you should then, eventually get paid w/ it . I would support you kindly in that . what do you think ?  :cool:

PS : i'm not making publicy , i'm just giving an idea .

Hmm, interesting idea :smile:
maybe I will in the future but I don't have much free time for that right now  :neutral:
I hardly have time to write new chapters and to play for new ones.
Maybe on summer ( I will have a lot of time then  :cool:), however, thank you for your offer  :mrgreen:

Chapter 12 : Winter campaign - DREAM #2
17 July 1257

Dear Diary,

I decided to give my party a tough training.
So we rode to the nearby plain outside the city, just in possesion of wooden weapons, which we lent from the local arena ( we asked their ceremonial master for permission). Firstly I separated my men, 3 groups with 3 warriors in each. Nizar, Rolf and Grogas ( the manhunter by profession, whom we rescued from forest bandits 10 days ago) in one group; Bold, Artimenner and Ymra in second; and Matheld, Marnid and Hattieum ( the last remaining recruit, now Vaegir knight, good man and strong soldier) in third one. Then I ordered them to fight. It was very good fight to see, I was proud to have such great swordsmen in my party. But not all of them were good at arms, not at all. Marnid was on the ground just few moments after start, he foolishy rushed onto one whole group, wishing to knock down Ymra, but he was sent on the ground by Bold, who dodged his swing and then smacked him with sword. After some time two more men were on the ground, Grogas by Matheld and Artimenner by Hattieum and his spear. Now they were two fighters in each group. Matheld was fighting with Ymra, yeah, chick fight - i know what you mean; and Nizar and Rolf attacked Hattieum and Bold. Bold and Hattieum cooperated really well in that duel, although they weren't in same team, so Rolf was on the ground soon, smacked by their combinated attack. At that time, Matheld has proven that she is skilled swordsman, she firstly parried Ymra's attack with a sword, only to punch her in the face with shield, to crush her on the ground. I was very impressed with her skill and moves, and Ymra was lucky because that was wooden arena shield. Now there were Nizar, Hattieum and Bold fighting with each other, until Matheld rushed and punched Bold in head from back with sword. She done that just moment after Bold defeated Hattieum (they were parrying one anothers swings when Bold kicked him with knee in chest, knocking him instantly) , so he was unprepared for that attack, and now there were only Matheld and Nizar left. Nizar was hobbling on right foot, he was on the ground until that moment ( he was wounded with a spear by Hattieum), so Matheld was expected to win. But Nizar was indeed more better warrior than I thought, he defeated her by broking out sword out of her hand and pointing his sword at her neck.           
I was impressed, I have very good soldiers at my side, they will sure be my captains when I collect a great army again. Next part of training was with range weapons; crossbows, longbows and spears. While they were shooting at targets, I was doing my training with sword.

When was dark outside, we decided to get back to safety of walls. I returned weapons to arena while my deadly tired warriors headed to a tavern. I took a walk because it was a nice night, light breeze makes a pleasant change than the daily heats. When I finally entered the tavern, I was so surprised - all my men were sleeping, they weren't drinking in a tavern. So  I sat down at a nearby table, and after dinner started to write this chapter. It was quiet night in a tavern, it was almost empty.

However, Araedoth was waiting in the camp for recruits to increase numbers of legion. I said them that I was sent there from Hergenforl castle, from Sir Borgonul. 
This picture dispersed. Now I saw another one, the movement of Fifth army over the mountains, towards the domain of Heylruk Tribe. It was winter now, and warriors followed Borgonul and Araedoth in battle.

2hohis0.jpg

I remembered then, it was the winter, beginning of 1247 year, and we were marching five days until we finally passed the mountains and entered Heylruk lands. The Heylruks were the barbaric tribe living among the mountains. They were old enemies of 'south duchies' ( south duchies were the group of duchies where the Duke Garfald's duchy is located, they were all united in times of King Hergenaus, during the grand southern wars), and they occasionally rode into their territory and they're looting villages. So Garfald decided to punish them so he sent Araedoth to conquer their fortifications.
However, we passed some of their villages, and camped in pine forest. Inside the camp was very cheerful, the cooks were baking the pork and we all together drank mulled wine. As Araedoth, Borgonul and Eriadar sat in front of the largest tent and discussed tactics, (while young version of me where talking with some archers) I decided to approach them and hear something, but I was stopped by an invisible force who trapped me (so I cannot go far from young me). So I was trying to hear something from position where I stood, but it was in vain, warriors were very loud, like they are in tavern. So I was asking myself what is so important about this memory, but then I saw rain of burning arrows falling on our camp, setting him on fire. Warriors were running outside in panic, only to be slain by men who attacked us. But Araedoth was ready, he ordered the rest of us to stay together and to follow him. We quckly left the camp from other side and engaged them in battle. Like Araedoth expected, our attackers were members of the tribe from villages we had passed. And that is interesting about Heylruks, they are all warriors and hunters by profession. They live by hunting deers and looting villages. We were better equipped, so we cut through them like knife though butter. That was my first battle to participate. I didn't kill anyone until the end of the battle, when the last remaining savage jumped from the tree and tried to stab earl from the back, but then I reacted quickly and shoted him with an arrow in forehead. Earl Araedoth was so surprised, he was thinking that battle is over so he thanked me for saving his life and promised he will return me a favour. I smiled when I saw young version of me, with shock onto his face. That was first time he/I killed a man, which would follow with hundreds more. We quickly rushed back to our camp to damp down a fire. It was dawn when we finished.

Next two weeks we continued marching through their territory, but like they were avoiding bigger battles. We were ambushed by their archers several times, but they were too small to be considered as a threat. But in that way they weakened our army.  n one battle we captured some enemies, and forced them (with a promise of easy death) to talk about plans of their leader, Makuas the Merciless. We found out that he is gathering his fearsome cavarly, riders of Honnkslayr. They were nobles of his tribes (and only allowed to possess a horse in tribe). They were living in meadows in south of their land, across the river of Smulthyyak. Fortifications and wild forests were laying between us.   

347ibdw.jpg

That were not good news. With Honnkslayr on his side, Makuas was able to defeat everyone on open field - even more because we had no cavalry on our side. Our Duchys army was organized in way we had one third of regular legions ( combination of footmen and archers) and second third of elite legions ( mounted knights ), the rest of army were mercenaries ( mostly hired blades). Our legion was without horsmen, only elite warriors were our captains, Araedoth and Borgonul. But lucky for us, they were far away from us and will take time for Makuas to gather them. After we executed prisoners, everything went black. 

Now I viewed the convolution of entire legion, on some frozen meadow. The captains were standing in the middle, surrounded by warriors, gathered to hear bad news. Borgonul started the speech, automatically muting the whispers of warriors:

- "My brave warriors, my friends, before us is a great test, greatest challenge for our blades. You know we've had difficulties during our march here, but that is nothing, nothing to compare to the storm that is upon us. But do not afraid, prepare your weapons, lads, cause bloody times will follow. You have heard about Honnkslayr, yes, these deathbringers are not afraid of anything, they have no sense for fear or pain - but we would let them fear us. For duchy and freedom. For Duchy of Isrimael! "     

By these wise speech he intensified the morale of the army, warriors were in fear, but after this speech they were eager for battle. Of course that Borgonul used hyperbole to describe our enemies, but he did it with a purpose. With a purpose to encourage us, but also to make us to be careful.

In the next few weeks, we have experienced two bloody battles. But none of them were against Makuas's army of Honnkslayr. First we were attacked on 12 February, while we were passing the hills of Grulhmmut. Attackers were led by Grenzel of Feiredzuythun, one of the Makuas's generals. He was very old warrior, older more then 75 years. But he was also very strong and burly, wielding with his great hammer. He led double more men than the size of the legion, so they easily surrounded the hill on which we were standing - so retreat was not an option. So Araedoth ordered to us to stand in line, and to hold our fire, but to hold our longbows prepared. Although this tactic at first glance seemed quite naive ( I know what I am telling, I was standing there and watching them from objective position), Araedoth knew what he was doing. And then I felt another thing, I was able to hear myself ( younger myself), his thoughts and feelings. That is my only explanation to my loud and fast heartbeats ( I did not felt them for a very long time, because I learnt how to keep calm in battle)...       

- "Shoot! "  -  I heard the order after five hundred heartbeats later ( or did I count wrongly?), after the first enemies climbed the hill.
All arrows were directed in one side ( because another side of the hill was very steepy, so they were not able to approach us from back), so that is why mostly of arrows hit their targets. My arrow rammed into one axeman's chest, along with five others. As like Araedoth predicted, the pierced enemies felt onto others who have climbing, causing the domino effect and crushing a lot of them from high hill - into death. Before the enemy line recovered, we started the counter attack in which we forced them to flee in fear. We chased them killing the slowest ones. Their leader, Grenzel, was trying to reorganize their line, but it was in vain - nobody was listening to him. On the other hand, our captains were in middle of them, killing the most enemies. Araedoth was crushing their skull with his mace, while Borgonul was taking their heads off with his scythe. Others have followed them from behind, running in delight. I tried to keep up with them, taking the enemies down by arrows. After he noticed that Araedoth was dangerously close to him, Grenzel realised that battle is lost so he mounted his horse.

- "Do not let him escape, shoot him down!" Araedoth turned around and shouted to me. I quickly took an arrow and stretched a bow, aiming at Grenzel. He was fleeing on his horse, riding towards the safety of forest. He was killing his own troops, to clear down the way. He was already at the entrance of the forest when I finally shot the arrow. The arrow whizzed through the air, between the us and forest was quite distance ( around 150 meters)... and to finally smack at the back of his head, knocking him out of saddle. The battle was won, I saw our warriors cheering in delight, that was our first great victory in those lands.

The last what I have seen before next blackout was the happiness on my face, something I didn't felt for a very long time. I was wishing to get back in youth, in times while I was in Fifth legion. After colours returned, I didn't realised the change at first glance, it was night - a very dark and a cold night. The blizzard was upon us. Fifteen days were passed since Battle of Grulhmmut Hills and our great victory. We were standing in line, facing the combined force of three enemy generals: Serdarrin the Black ( younger brother of their king Makuas, captain of pikemen), Thaurust the White-Bearded ( one more very old general, called this name because of his long white beard - using the combined forces of archers and axemen) and Hyypernias of Cranuz ( one of four captains of Honnkslayr). We had 190 troops on our side while they had at least 250. This battle will be known as Battle of Muhherllaen  (or Battle of Three Generals). 
The battle started when Honnkslayr ( Hyypernias led his personal guard of 30 riders in battle), followed by sounds of war horns, rammed in our shield wall. Wielding with their heavy maces, they easily broke our first line of defence. Serdarrin ordered his spearmen to wait, while Thaurust ordered his archers to fill us with arrows. To our cost, we haven't seen arrows from the dark sky and drizzling snow that was falling, so tenth of our men were wounded or dead in they initial shootout. I was savvy enough to pick up shield from fallen comrade to cover my head. The battle could turn in complete disaster for us if Eriadar did not crushed Hyypernias on the ground, killing his horse.

-  "Archers, shoot their mounts down!"
- Araedoth ordered to us, following Eriadar's example, and killing nearby enemy and his horse in one stroke.
Archers listened to him right away, crushing more horses down. I felt sorry for poor animals ( once again I read thoughts of young myself), so I shoted their riders down. But all Honnkslayr were well-built, muscular men, so it was a bit hard to kill them. It took me a lot of arrows to kill five of them, three arrows in the chest of each. 
Then I saw them battle, Hyypernias crushed down Eriadar with swing into his right shoulder, and now was standing over him, preparing to slay him. Eriadar tried to raise sword in protection, but he dropped him, unable to hold wounded arm in the air. I did not have time for aiming, I quickly stretched bow and fired in Hyypernias's direction, shoting him in the fist that was holding the mace - forcing him to drop it. He cursed in pain and pulled out an arrow from his hand, walking towards me. He took of his helmet in walk and drew the sword with the black blade from his back. I quickly drew my scimitar and stood in the gard, just moments before he swung fiercely with sword, with such ferocity that I fell to the ground when the blades met. My scimitar flew three meters away, out of my range. He smiled and swung his sword, only to fall next to me, struck by the Araedoth in the back. He gave me a hand and smiled, helping me to get up.

- "Charge! Kill those maggots, kill them all!" - We heard from the enemy side, seeing how their prince, Serdarrin, is riding upon us, followed by his 100 pikemen. They were running at us without any order... Their lack of dicipline will cost them.
They have finally come to the aid of Honnkslayr guards, who were now all dismounted and only few alive.

- "Hold the line! Archers, fire at will!" -  Borgonul ordered, after he killed the last Honnkslayr. Other warriors listened to his order and gathered around him, creating a shield wall. We archers were staying in back, firing the rain of arrows at approaching enemies. How most of them did not wear armour but furs, many have fallen dead from our arrows. Others who have stayed on their feet were stopped on our shield wall, killing their last hope in victory - and killing them in proccess. Their spears were no match to our swords and arrows. Just in their initial attack, more then half of them were dead ( by arrows or in close combat). When he saw the disaster that has engulfed his band of soldiers, Serdarrin stopped and turned around, yelling at Thaurust, who was watching from distance. But his archers kept firing the arrows at us during all time, although their arrows were imprecise, killing just few men.
- "You traitors, come down and help us!" -  he yelled, but it was little too late. Thaurust indeed ordered the charge with whole force ( half of enemy soldiers in this battle were his), but Serdarrin felt down from the horse, dead by arrow, before they could approach us. Arrow was shot by Dreyus Fearfingel, renown warrior and possibly the best archer on our side. He was the noble from Fearfingel clan, one of five sons of Earl Ralya IV. Fearfingel. His all brothers were in Fifth legion together with him. Their names are Martay, Lionel, Rufus and Emmet.
Seeing their prince dead, many warriors fled in fear. But Thaurust was able to keep the line, continuing the battle. His axemen were different story than pikemen, they were even able to break our shield wall, and force us to break a line. Now warriors were fighting all around the field, without any order. While I was busy watching Araedoth engaging in duel with Thaurust, I did not looked at young myself. But then I felt burning pain at my hip, forcing me to close my eyes in pain. But then - shock! With closed eyes, I was able to see my memories in first person, though eyes of young me. But also, I was able to feel pain like him... I was now on the ground, writhing in pain on the snow, while someone was smiling over me.
- "You fool, did you really thought I am dead? Better check next time, but wait.. It would not be the next time - cause I'll crush your skull!"  -  I looked up, in pain, seeing a man in black armour, with long hair and beard tied in braid. He held a long sword with a black blade leaning on his shoulder. It was him, Hyypernias was still alive! Battle was sobbing around but I only heard a buzzing. I felt fear when he swung with the sword overhead, despite I was in memory, I simply forgot and feared for my life. But then I suddenly started to feel some kind of proud and decisiveness, so I clenched a fist around the sword handle, collecting all the remaining strength. When he swung his sword aiming at my head, I raised my scimitar up, blocking his effort. Loud sound of clashing metal returned me back to reality. I quickly dodge his new attack, rolling behind him. After getting up, I tried to kill him but he was too skilled to me, he easily blocked every my effort. Soon I was on the ground again, after he punched me with a sword hilt. He smiled again, after he kicked my scimitar away from my reach. Now I was unarmed, unable to get up due to pain.
- "I must admit you are brave, but weaker than I thought." - he said and swung, but stopped when he saw something behind me. - "We will continue this next time."

The next moment I was lifted on foot by a pair of strong hands. That were two of Fearfingel' brothers, Martay and Emmet.
- "There you go. Look Martay, we scared him away."  - Emmet said and laughed, pointing finger at Hyypernias, who mounted Thaurust's horse and ordered to remaining troops to retreat. I looked around on battlefield, nobody was fighting, our warriors lowered weapons and let enemies to escape. It was morning, we have fought all night, to won one more great victory. We gathered around Araedoth, who killed Thaurust by beheading him, forcing the Hyypernias to surrender the battle.
- "My brave warriors, sons of Isrimael, we fought all night, we fought with all our strength - to one another great victory, even greater than previous. This would be night to remember, written in history as most bloodiest battle in this campaign, and this is a proof of our conquest upon this land that will follow. For the Duke and Duchy! For the glory of Isrimael!"  - He raised his sword in the air, to be followed by others, who repeated his war cry - "For glory of Isrimael!"

After we counted the dead men, we come to the even greater number than we expected. We lost 40 men in this battle, and now we counted 150 warriors - but more than 200 Heylruks died, slashed by blades of Fifth legion. The picture dispersed in moments I heard this numbers from one of Fearfingel brothers in camp.

dnd7r7.jpg

We thought Heylruk main force was defeated, because they did not engaged any battle with us. Of course, they tryed few times to set ambush on us, but they army was not ready for new combat. So in next 20 days we marched to their fortifications, laying all across the river bank. On the other side of the river of Smulthyyak was their main population, there were their towns and their main army. Their chieftain ( or self proclaimed king), Makuas the Merciless, was in his capital, Vultoz, and conquering that city was our final goal. So we decided, as the start of this conquest, to first conquer some of their fortifications.
Our first target was Grunngselbroend fortress, fortress that was in between the hill and before the passage that was leading to other fortifications and river. So when we conquer it, we will able to control who would pass ( and to see movement of enemy armies). Garrison of that fortress was under Brufin's command. Brufin was husband of Thaurust's daughter, and a very young Heylruk captain. He had a elder brother, Blofin, who was lieutenant of Makuas's infantry.
However, we decided to surprise them. So we firstly built our siege equipment ( ladders), even before we laid siege upon them. Our next step was to disable their watchmen. We were watching on their gates, and when they sent scouts in patrol to a nearby forest, we caught them and took their equipment. Araedoth then suggested that 10 of us would go inside the fortress disguised in scouts ( wearing their furs and weapons). Fearfingel brothers, Koren, Eriadar and three archers volunteered. Araedoth decided that they will enter the castle in midnight ( when garrisoned soldiers are sleeping), and that they will kill guards until dawn, and then signal with fire to others to attack. I also wanted to go, but there were no enough armours of scouts so I was not picked. But when they were leaving, I asked Borgonul suggesting that I will pretend I am their prisoner -  he disagreed but I followed them almost to fortress walls so he was forced to do so. We approached to entrance gates. When frontgate guards saw us, they believed that we are scouts and let us in. But that was terrible mistake, they were dead even before were able to ask about me. We parted, after we agreed who will take care of which guards. I was assigned to kill guards of watch tower.   
After I climbed the stairs, I sneaked inside the tower before they could see me. I decided to sneak behind their backs and to shoot them with arrows, but they heard some noise in courtyard so they rushed downstairs, right into me. There were two of them, big and muscular men, obviously stronger than me.
- "You are going nowhere, prepare to die." - I said and drew my scimitar from its sheath. They laughed and pulled out their maces. My heart was beating like never before, first time I was outnumbered by superior enemy. But there was no time for thinking, they attacked. I blocked attack of the first guard, only to be compelled to dodge attack of his comrade ( I fastly crouched to right) . But then I quickly swung, killing the second guard. The blade caught him onto his chest, right in the heart. He fell backwards, down from the stairs.
- "Noo! I will crush you and give your flesh to the dogs, boy!" - The remaining guard yelled, fiercely swinging mace at me. I blocked his attack but then he kicked me with his boot, out of my balance. I almost fell down. He attacked again, aiming at my stomach. I quickly jumped, but his mace grazed my boot - this was so close. Now I attacked, before he could raise his mace in protection.. Blood spattered though air, but he was not dead, he was just wounded in the arm. But I attacked fiercer, wanting to finish him off before he could recover from pain. Although he blocked two my side strokes, I pierced his chest with the third strike. He fell to his knees, begging me to finish him off. I approached him and pulled out a sword out of his chest. Blood was flowing from the wound, colouring his clothes in red. - "Please, kill me." - he asked again, while blood dripped from his mouth. I swung my sword, performing coup de grâce...

b84wo0.jpg

After I signalized from the watch tower with fire to our troops, they quickly brought ladders and climbed on the walls. We did not wanted to use gates before garrisoned soldiers could heard the noise followed by opening the gates. However, we wake them up by blowing into war horn ( which we took from Honnkslayr). We wanted them to be awake, into fair battle. But when we were inside, there is no way that they could stop us - they were counting just around 50 soldiers. They tried to fight, but many of them fell death onto our shieldwall. When remaining soldiers saw how numerous we are, they decided to surrender. We accepted that, locking 20 warriors in dungeon, all except one. While we was fighting his soldiers, Brufin cowardly ran away!

Finally conquering the fortress, we decided to stay there until summer. But we knew we will must to fight with Makuas and his Honnkslayr riders before that. But thing what we did not know, is that he was closer than we expected. Just 10 days after our conquest, we heard their war horns on the field outside the fortress. We saw them, waiting for us, all mounted and eager for blood. Eager for our blood...

Then I woke up. I know this is very long chapter, but I thought it is important to wrote that down. Now I am going to bed, midnight has passed and tavern is finally empty. Tommorow I would lead my warriors into new adventures.. I will write soon, again. 

Back
Top Bottom