[Map] Unnamed

Users who are viewing this thread

Azrayel

Sergeant Knight at Arms
Concept:

Two formidable faction starting points on either side of an island map-- one a castle and the other a city, each leaning towards a different style of play but being inherently pitched against each other for control of the resources in between them. The village may maintain independence through guile and diplomacy, but in all likelihood the mine will fall into control of one faction or another.

While the map lends itself to constant conflict, this need not translate into constant war. Attrition, cease fires, re-consolidations, assassinations, and eventual capture and assimilation will all break up the fighting, and the RP will be born of the conflict as much as the conflict will be born of it. Every day people (serfs and engineers trying to make money) will be caught up in the machinations of the two military forces.

Will theoretically cater to both combat and non-combat styles of play without "segregating" them completely. I.e.: people who want to farm, fight, or run around a city will bump into each other and be relevant to one another.

Everything seen here subject to critical redesign.

Overhead:
72E781B1F49962DE09229AD24726F50F15E2A89A

Hill Fort:
E85D2638C804FAFC8598EDCB6617DA9630C38295

Central Mine:
AB8275CAD5B7E59D2DAE52C7C8147CDB46E299A2

Agricultural Village:
DE69F75D7D9F29156A78A6D771B56AA2A2022238

Swamp:
847C3FEEBF5353ABC488EBCC01A11C8D1DFCE387
BD1F76E83C269A5C816EA5AD31DA4ED6244F6CFE

City: N/A

Forest:
tumblr_mcmiuoCg0V1rk1b0wo1_1280.jpg
A53CF93263CCA26D3487DC23EDB1E602D93A4A8A

Normally, I wait until the last minute to slap the forums with some pretty screens after I've been working on the map for a while and lots of people already know or have heard about it: however, I've also found this is an ineffective way to keep myself interested. So, I just made this tonight on a whimsy and decided I'd post it to see what people thought about the idea and where it might be taken.

Note: The map is mostly sand at the moment, but that's not because it's a desert island-- I'm using it as a base, and as I add to places the sand will recede and be replaced.

Sound like a good idea, but.

- Have a "neutral" zone, i think it will be the city, so the commoner can respawn and choose their side in peace
- Get a list of used teleport so mapper can add more teleports without much troubles
- Do you intend to use : Interior teleport pad for commoner and outlaw, safe spawn for faction.
- What about the economy, what the % of ressource price in village and castle
- I suppose the outlaw will be in another island using boat to raid the main island right ?
- How big is the map ?
- Do you allow free modification once the map is launch.

This time just please...smooth and slow. I see that you like to play with props like Lego. For this one I suggest you to take a look at bpopa27's scenes. I'm sure it's your style.

http://mountandblade.nexusmods.com/users/4783574

Edit: Do not use sand (or any other) as base texture. Press MMB (middle mouse button) to get the default texture, which allows the grass to be rendered.

The Bowman said:
Edit: Do not use sand (or any other) as base texture. Press MMB (middle mouse button) to get the default texture, which allows the grass to be rendered.

It's what I usually do, but...

I've already selected desert as the template so MMB just brings up sand. Plains and other grass-y things make really obnoxious green splotches I could never figure out how to remove.

Aldric said:
Sound like a good idea, but.

- Have a "neutral" zone, i think it will be the city, so the commoner can respawn and choose their side in peace
The city could become a warzone, but it will be multi-level and I expect most of the fighting will be leading up to the castle. However, I'm thinking about giving commoners a safe spawn to pick sides without having to spawn in the city.
- Get a list of used teleport so mapper can add more teleports without much troubles
Almost all TP doors will carry you directly into an interior right behind it: that is to say, the interiors are inside of the exteriors, so they'll all have the sorting number 0 because they'll just link to the one they're right next to through the wall-- so adding more doors shouldn't be a problem at all.
- Do you intend to use : Interior teleport pad for commoner and outlaw, safe spawn for faction.
Commoners may get a safe spawn to pick where they go, not sure about it yet; outlaws definitely won't. Factions won't, but there are only two real military faction points so I don't see this as being as big of a problem as it could be.
- What about the economy, what the % of resource price in village and castle
Things will be more expensive where you most immediately need them, i.e.: buying a mining pick is most costly at the mine, an ax most costly in the forest, and so on, but they'll have high starting stocks to encourage selling there (which probably won't happen normally, but oh well).
- I suppose the outlaw will be in another island using boat to raid the main island right ?
Not really; there may be an islet or two they could reach via ferry but I'm not going to make every outlaw be a pirate. The outlaw training and most of the re-spawns will be in the forest.
- How big is the map ?
Pretty small, compared to most of my maps, intentionally; pushing people together means money and death flow quicker ( in theory) and will hopefully remove some of the boredom from having to craft both armors and horses as the materials won't be horribly far away.
- Do you allow free modification once the map is launch.
Yes, but I'd like the servers to let people know through the MotD or their server that the map's been altered from its basic form.

Good call, other questions :

- What about mercenary poles, where does people can gather up when a faction have no castle.
- There is a grand total of 3 factions : 2 castle and 1 village (+1 city ? )  ? Will it be enough.
- What will happen if a faction control the whole map, how a realistic resistance can be set up.
- Will you set up build able walls to protect the small village, which is according to screen shot, extremely vulnerable.
Out of castle/town/city/Outlaw camp
- Give me the harvesting place of the following goods : Wood, Small iron/iron, silver/gold, salt,  flax, wheat, graps field, fish, import deer/boar/calf, auto respawn deer/boar
- Give me the processing place of the following goods : Wood, smelting, linen process, flour, beer, wine, leather role, salting table.

PS : Spawn zone for everyone is needed, if someone can spawn kill they will. There is no other way (for both NA and EU community) unless there is an admin at each side all the time.

Aldric said:

- What about mercenary poles, where does people can gather up when a faction have no castle.
There will be two mercenary tents; if you remember my map Dominion like that one outside the city with all the banners. Both will be in a sort of neutral territory, opposite ends of the map to avoid unfriendly factions both trying to retrain there at once or the dominant faction trying to harass people training (still possible but harder).
- There is a grand total of 3 factions : 2 castle and 1 village (+1 city ? )  ? Will it be enough.
3 factions; castle off the coast of the city controlling the port will get revenue from all stockpiles in the city. Yes, because this map is meant to pit large groups against one another-- but also to be playable on small servers. If you only have 20 guys on you can't really have that fun of a time on say Game of Thrones because of all the empty castles. Here the idea is both castles and all areas will have maximum population and the wars will be of a maximum size. Will also encourage people plotting to take Lordship because there are few places on can be Lord, adding extra dramatic elements. Of course this is all in theory, but I've tried big map with lots of castles so this is something new.
- What will happen if a faction control the whole map, how a realistic resistance can be set up.
The city itself will be akin to VoS in that you won't really be able to patrol it, so a faction without a castle could hide out there or on an islet; there's also the forest with bandits and the hard to navigate on horse swamps to run through. Low cross-map visibility will help with confusing the dominant factions to be able to take less guarded locations-- also, the mine and village cap flags are out in the open, anyone with a banner and a declared war there can take it if there aren't men there to stop them.
- Will you set up build able walls to protect the small village, which is according to screen shot, extremely vulnerable.
No, because the feature is under-used. I will make few build points so that the ones that exist aren't wastes of server capabilities and misleading-- there may be defenses to build at the outlaw camp or in the city (think barricading the streets of Paris from just about any revolution and you get the idea there). Won't be something where you can build a perimiter wall anywhere tho, and the village is meant to be vulnerable. If you want to keep the village, you must have forces there enough to keep it. Makes it more of a commitment and a bit more realistic\fun to RP.
- Give me the harvesting place of the following goods : Wood, Small iron/iron, silver/gold, salt,  flax, wheat, graps field, fish, import deer/boar/calf, auto respawn deer/boar
The map's not done yet, just started last night: that said, I plan to have small iron in the main city's prison (not very much though) and regular iron in the middle of the map at that mine (more of a quarry) you can see in the screen shot. Salt will be the shore along the forest. Flax, wheat, grapes will all be village-- as will importing animals. Cows will spawn by the village, deer and boar in the woods with one boar import in a boar-baiting pit for fighting animals. Silver will probably be on an islet or secret location that could change by server owner or updates to keep people looking.
- Give me the processing place of the following goods : Wood, smelting, linen process, flour, beer, wine, leather role, salting table.
Wood and iron will be able to be processed at the city, hill fort, and village. Linen and leather processing may be limited to the village or in all those places. Flour, beer, and wine will be village only. Salting tables will be in taverns, which will also be faction training locations in the case of hill fort and village (but not the city).

PS : Spawn zone for everyone is needed, if someone can spawn kill they will. There is no other way (for both NA and EU community) unless there is an admin at each side all the time.
Yeah, that's true. But I think with good spawn placement you will be able to flee because they won't all be covered-- and really, wouldn't you feel more immersed fleeing a massacre than going through a different magical door? A little more Song of Ice and Fire and a little less Alice in Wonderland.

doctorwarband said:
Azrayel, r u from Israel? Dont worry I have an israelian friend...

No, but I have Jewish friends. Don't know any from Israel but most of them have been there. Azrael is the name of Muslims ascribe to the Angel of Death, but I didn't learn this until after picking the screen name-- it just sort of came to me, any etymological influences were subliminal.

Metalhead259 said:
He's an American.

Last I heard, perhaps he's changed nationality?

Americans have the trickiest habits of claiming multiple nationalities without paying multiple sets of Federal taxes. Irish Americans, et ketra, who trace their heritage but not their purse strings or place of living to some homeland.

However, you are correct in believing I am not amongst them-- I have a sort of romantic affinity for at least one of my ancestral home lands, but I have no ties to Israel.

Azrayel said:
Linen ... processing may be limited to the village
Don't take this as me interfering to dictate how you should design your scene, I just want to make sure people understand the original intentions: flax and linen making was not really supposed to be a rare, difficult, competitive profession, but a basic, entry level, "cottage industry" to start with; mainly replacing the original "stick bushes" as a way for peasants with no money, clothes, or tools to make a start. It doesn't require any tool items, higher labouring skill doesn't make as much difference, and the use times are quite short (will be shorter after the next release); the rewards per item are lower, but it is supposed to be safer and quicker (but more repetitive) to compensate. With flax as the entry level, wood, wheat, and grapes are a step slightly above, fishing and herding are more competitive and dynamic, while mining should generally be more difficult and risky to balance for the high rewards and military usefulness. You might want to have areas that don't have easy access to linen, but they should be the exceptions rather than common - maybe a mountain bandit / warrior hideout with only leather clothes, produced from hunting - generally not the big cities with lots of linen peasant clothes in the markets (which factions will have little motivation to keep stocked).

As a general scene design suggestion (not really targeted at Azrayel): if you want to have a sort of "newbie spawn area", don't place an iron mine, pick buying stockpile, and ore export nearby, but place some flax bushes with spinning wheel, loom, and linen stockpile / export (maybe something else instead like a wood or wheat processing area if you want a different feel, but iron is generally not optimal). As said before, people can design scenes however they want: this is only my opinion.

Azrayel said:
Aldric said:

There will be two mercenary tents; if you remember my map Dominion like that one outside the city with all the banners. Both will be in a sort of neutral territory, opposite ends of the map to avoid unfriendly factions both trying to retrain there at once or the dominant faction trying to harass people training (still possible but harder).
3 factions; castle off the coast of the city controlling the port will get revenue from all stockpiles in the city. Yes, because this map is meant to pit large groups against one another-- but also to be playable on small servers. If you only have 20 guys on you can't really have that fun of a time on say Game of Thrones because of all the empty castles. Here the idea is both castles and all areas will have maximum population and the wars will be of a maximum size. Will also encourage people plotting to take Lordship because there are few places on can be Lord, adding extra dramatic elements. Of course this is all in theory, but I've tried big map with lots of castles so this is something new.
The city itself will be akin to VoS in that you won't really be able to patrol it, so a faction without a castle could hide out there or on an islet; there's also the forest with bandits and the hard to navigate on horse swamps to run through. Low cross-map visibility will help with confusing the dominant factions to be able to take less guarded locations-- also, the mine and village cap flags are out in the open, anyone with a banner and a declared war there can take it if there aren't men there to stop them.
No, because the feature is under-used. I will make few build points so that the ones that exist aren't wastes of server capabilities and misleading-- there may be defenses to build at the outlaw camp or in the city (think barricading the streets of Paris from just about any revolution and you get the idea there). Won't be something where you can build a perimiter wall anywhere tho, and the village is meant to be vulnerable. If you want to keep the village, you must have forces there enough to keep it. Makes it more of a commitment and a bit more realistic\fun to RP.
The map's not done yet, just started last night: that said, I plan to have small iron in the main city's prison (not very much though) and regular iron in the middle of the map at that mine (more of a quarry) you can see in the screen shot. Salt will be the shore along the forest. Flax, wheat, grapes will all be village-- as will importing animals. Cows will spawn by the village, deer and boar in the woods with one boar import in a boar-baiting pit for fighting animals. Silver will probably be on an islet or secret location that could change by server owner or updates to keep people looking.
Wood and iron will be able to be processed at the city, hill fort, and village. Linen and leather processing may be limited to the village or in all those places. Flour, beer, and wine will be village only. Salting tables will be in taverns, which will also be faction training locations in the case of hill fort and village (but not the city).

Yeah, that's true. But I think with good spawn placement you will be able to flee because they won't all be covered-- and really, wouldn't you feel more immersed fleeing a massacre than going through a different magical door? A little more Song of Ice and Fire and a little less Alice in Wonderland.

doctorwarband said:
Azrayel, r u from Israel? Dont worry I have an israelian friend...

No, but I have Jewish friends. Don't know any from Israel but most of them have been there. Azrael is the name of Muslims ascribe to the Angel of Death, but I didn't learn this until after picking the screen name-- it just sort of came to me, any etymological influences were subliminal.

Metalhead259 said:
He's an American.

Last I heard, perhaps he's changed nationality?

Americans have the trickiest habits of claiming multiple nationalities without paying multiple sets of Federal taxes. Irish Americans, et ketra, who trace their heritage but not their purse strings or place of living to some homeland.

However, you are correct in believing I am not amongst them-- I have a sort of romantic affinity for at least one of my ancestral home lands, but I have no ties to Israel.
Ok :grin:

Vornne said:
Azrayel said:
Linen ... processing may be limited to the village
Don't take this as me interfering to dictate how you should design your scene, I just want to make sure people understand the original intentions: flax and linen making was not really supposed to be a rare, difficult, competitive profession, but a basic, entry level, "cottage industry" to start with; mainly replacing the original "stick bushes" as a way for peasants with no money, clothes, or tools to make a start. It doesn't require any tool items, higher labouring skill doesn't make as much difference, and the use times are quite short (will be shorter after the next release); the rewards per item are lower, but it is supposed to be safer and quicker (but more repetitive) to compensate. With flax as the entry level, wood, wheat, and grapes are a step slightly above, fishing and herding are more competitive and dynamic, while mining should generally be more difficult and risky to balance for the high rewards and military usefulness. You might want to have areas that don't have easy access to linen, but they should be the exceptions rather than common - maybe a mountain bandit / warrior hideout with only leather clothes, produced from hunting - generally not the big cities with lots of linen peasant clothes in the markets (which factions will have little motivation to keep stocked).

As a general scene design suggestion (not really targeted at Azrayel): if you want to have a sort of "newbie spawn area", don't place an iron mine, pick buying stockpile, and ore export nearby, but place some flax bushes with spinning wheel, loom, and linen stockpile / export (maybe something else instead like a wood or wheat processing area if you want a different feel, but iron is generally not optimal). As said before, people can design scenes however they want: this is only my opinion.

This map is also a 4th of the size of my usual maps, but I see your point: linen is gruntwork for no cost and low risk. I'm thinking I'll make this the new prison resource instead of small iron (too valuable to have there anyways) and put the small iron ore Warrens below the city. I can also easily place linen in the fields\foot hills near the mountain castle, and the mine isn't really its own faction so it really doesn't need linen.

No, this is good, I like it: you know so much more, and have thought so much more, about the economic system of PW. A common complaint from my oldster friends is that it's "too complex" nowadays, but I think that most of that's chalked down to scene designs-- myself being the worst villain-- with resources poorly placed in terms of being conducive to play. Share as often and freely as you like, please!

Skallagrim said:
Looks beast.  :cool:
TARDIS said:
Looks good mang.

Appreciate the support, as always, guys.

Nothing big, but progress has been made on the swamp. It will be the primary wood source for the village and half the city, but I'll get into that later.

847C3FEEBF5353ABC488EBCC01A11C8D1DFCE387

A53CF93263CCA26D3487DC23EDB1E602D93A4A8A

Edge of the forest has a cliff with a suspension bridge leading to a cliff'd islet.

UPDATE:
tumblr_mcmiuoCg0V1rk1b0wo1_1280.jpg

Did more forest, but I am nonplussed. May kill and redo, but in keeping with openness I figured I'd throw it up here to see what "the community" thinks. Questions, comments, conundrums?

Back
Top Bottom