What caused you to be joyous on this day?

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
DoctorPainkiller said:
Well, I didn't know that. I just heard he was very popular among common people and got kicked out by people that everyone hated.

Yeah, his supposed popularity with common folks was mostly propagated by the literate elites of the times. There's literally no way of telling if this wasn't purely propaganda, and looking at the way the Brazilian government worked back then, it's very likely that it's as fake as Princess Isabel being an abolitionist and not a scapegoat who got lucky.

Also the Republic was put in power by the exact same people who supported the Empire. It happened for a bunch of factors, but mostly because the landed elites were pissed at him for a lot of stuff that had happened during his government, the last straw was the outlawing of slavery, even if the law was done really poorly and he used his daughter as a scapegoat by being away while the law was being proposed, so the actual signature is hers and Republican propaganda later tried to make her into some sort of abolitionist national hero.

Anyway, I really despise the governments this country has had.

Odyseuss said:
Pretty sure the monarchy hasn't dicked us over for at least 400 years, when the parliament was established.

BelgianCongoBelgianCongoBelgianCongoBelgianCongoBelgianCongoBelgianCongoBelgianCongoBelgianCongoBelgianCongoBelgianCongo
BelgianCongoBelgianCongoBelgianCongoBelgianCongoBelgianCongoBelgianCongoBelgianCongoBelgianCongoBelgianCongoBelgianCongo
BelgianCongo

I finally caught sight of my baby pigeon. It's an ugly little thing, but it seems healthy enough and the parents no longer feel the need to constantly sit on it. It'll be interesting to see what color it turns out to be. My flock is growing! :grin:

Odyseuss said:
That is true. America, how cute that your government shut down. That doesn't happen in constitutional monarchies.

GG MERICA
A government shutdown is when you hit the maximum debt ceiling. Canada could hit it too and shut down also.

Or in your words.

GG 'ANADA :razz:

A client of mine surprised me with some tickets to go see **** Dale. I haven't seen him in years so I'm actually quite excited to see him play  live again.

As to dicking about with taxpayers money, the monarchy in UK give all of their income to parliament, and from that parliament gives them enough money to do their business, they actually pay in more than they take out, without even counting tourism, which tbh is pretty hard to do, but cone on, going to a castle that is still inhabited by royalty is so much cooler than going to an abandoned piece of rubble like in most of Europe. (speaking of Spain , Italy and germany  from my trips there)

Eктωρ said:
Odyseuss said:
Pretty sure the monarchy hasn't dicked us over for at least 400 years, when the parliament was established.

BelgianCongo

I don#t think he was talking about all Monarchs, just the British Monarch.

Yeah but remember that according to taleworlds if one person belonging to a certain group is a ****, then everyone in the group is also a **** (kings, policemen , footballers and forum recruits :razz: )

Gestricius said:
Apparently there is plenty of monarchists in Austria which wants to restore the (Constitutional) Monarchy.  :razz:
I went for a quick look, for their last elections there's no party listed that got any noticeable amount of votes that could be described as such.

SacredStoneHead said:
Following Gestricius perception of the world, the actual political and social situation in Europe is identical of that of 1914, so there's that.
More like 1918, when a lot of women got voting right.  :mrgreen:

Bromden said:
Yeah, and by your last post in the Feminism thread, you're not too happy with that development. You Habsburg-*****.
Oh right, Austria was declared a Republic 1919. So.... 1920?  :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom