Ultima Forever

Users who are viewing this thread

Maybe, maybe not. The website they've got up right now isn't even close to ready for prime time, though.

Bioware post EA, Lady British, Classes, Action RPG which nowadays equals brainless hack and slash? No thanks.

You'll be seeing me back on the serpent isles.

Harkon Haakonson said:
Hmm... This might actually be extremely epic.
Have you somehow managed to ignore everything the games industry has put out in the last five yea-

Oh, it's you.

Yes, I'm sure it'll be extremely epic:
The first great Western RPG has been lovingly restored in Ultima Forever - return to the Ultima series in BioWare's new cross-platform action RPG. Accept the challenge from Lady British and save the land of Britannia. Play as the Fighter or the Mage and travel alone or with friends, restore virtue and become the Avatar!
What could go wrong?

EDIT:

Oh gods, it gets worse:
bevirtous.jpg

On the other hand,  Ultima died with IX already. Then again, instead of going back to the roots, this looks like to be SO NEXT-GEN it hurts. But still, it can't be as bad as the other Ultima project:

ultima-reborn.jpg

Or maybe it can.

Edit:

It's not really an Ultima, nor is it a type of game I have interest in, but it is kind of cute. I like that it doesn't take itself too seriously. In terms of style, it is pretty much Bioware-in-name-only.

I've signed an NDA and don't want to anger the EA demons, but I will say this:

If you want a real Ultima game, then this is not the game for you.

If you like cutesy indie RPGs, then you won't find this game horrible at all.

In other words, they're about to take a big dump on the franchise again.

I only played a few games in the series, but playing Ultima VI: The False Prophet is still one of my earliest and favorite gaming memories. I had a character named Davy Crockett who basically went around murdering and stealing everything in Britannia. Too bad it made the game impossible to finish, but I was too young to understand that (I wouldn't go back and finish it until I was much older). I also had a magical invisible two-headed horse in my party that I called Thing which was apparently a bug but has to be one of my favorite things about the game.

Mage246 said:
I only played a few games in the series, but playing Ultima VI: The False Prophet is still one of my earliest and favorite gaming memories.

Same with me, it's big open world was something really fascinating in it's time. Sadly had it for C=64 which version was crappier than Amiga's one for example, but it still managed to be very captivating game.

There is Ultima 6 Project for Dungeon Siege 1 engine which they made about 10 years and it should be ready now. Haven't had time to test it personally yet though so no idea how it reaches the original game.

be182406e61e2a0c.jpg

garg_intro_nis_1.jpg

field_all_1.jpg

U61.jpg

And Exult for Ultima 7

Mage246 said:
I only played a few games in the series, but playing Ultima VI: The False Prophet is still one of my earliest and favorite gaming memories.
Ditto here too. Just going around exploring, killing bad guys, and meeting all the interesting people was a ton of fun. I was way too young to understand the plot, (having read the LP for it, I'm sure I never would have beaten it) but it was a blast to play.

I feel like I have to write a reply to this. It took me a while to get used to the idea, but I don't see it as a bad thing. I mean, it's obviously not an Ultima game per se, but an online game for kids riding along with the name as if to gain more mature audience as well. I'm saying for kids because of the ridiculous graphics... that's what was best about my old Amiga's lo-res: you could imagine the characters and monsters to look even scaries than they were, basically the pictures on the box (Ultima VI) were where you got ideas.

So anyway, as I said, it's not such a bad thing, as long as it stays online, no-one's going to play it anyway :razz:

I remember working on the DS kit version. It was fun and entertaining because we stayed true to the original game. After all, the point was to promote the great game we had all played when we were younger, not to score money on a famous title. It's been out for a few yeasr, and I have to admit, aside from all the beta-testing we did, I never got around to play the finished version :grin: But I would recommend it to everyone, after all, you don't even need dosbox for it. And I really did hate the colours on the dos version after playing it with my Amiga.

First time I hear about Ultima Reborn too, and, well, I do like the naked chicks. Some skin always makes a game enjoyable.

Shatari said:
Mage246 said:
In Ultima Forever, players are able to fly in hot air balloons over mountain ranges, sail across oceans, survive storms, fight against sea monsters, and collect the eight Virtues.

Back
Top Bottom