Éadríc Eorl of the Fyrnings greets William Duke of Normandy

Users who are viewing this thread

Éadric

Knight at Arms
eadricgretwillelm.png

Éadríc Eorl of the Fyrnings greets William Duke of Normandy and hopes this finds you well. I would like to let you know that, with God as our witness, we Fyrnings swear that:

i: we stand true to the Angelcyning (that is, the English King) and the Kingly House of the West-Saxons;

ii: we will never acknowledge a Norman as Lord of the English;

iii: we spurn the word of Willelm Hornungsunu (that is, William the Bastard of Normandy) of having ties of any kind to the House of Fyrna;

iiii: if Willelm Hornungsunu and his nest of ducklings hold to this unrightful taking, the spear and the sword and grim strife shall bring it to end.

Éadríc said:
Éadríc Eorl of the Fyrnings greets William Duke of Normandy and hopes this finds you well. I would like to let you know that, with God as our witness, we Fyrnings swear that:

i: we stand true to the Angelcyning (that is, the English King) and the Kingly House of the West-Saxons;

ii: we will never acknowledge a Norman as Lord of the English;

iii: we spurn the word of Willelm Hornungsunu (that is, William the Bastard of Normandy) of having ties of any kind to the House of Fyrna;

iiii: if Willelm Hornungsunu and his nest of ducklings hold to this unrightful taking, the spear and the sword and grim strife shall bring it to end.

I respect your courage, cousin, for coming to meet me here in Caen. Impressive, most impressive.

William, Duke of Normandy, shall answer Eadric Fyrninga Eorl, my cousin, before the Grace of God and the Pope's Holy Banner

i: If I remember rightly, Harold is only the brother-in-law to the former King, Edward the Confessor.

ii: Well I do have a better claim then Harold because where has Harold is Edward's brother-in-law, I am Edward's cousin, his blood runs in my veins. Plus he named me his heir and even with the blessing of the Pope, I was granted before the god the right to be heir of England.

iii: Come now, cousin, we have been cousins since December last year, would you really want to end it now?

iv: Well if you wish war, I cannot perusade you not to, consdering though that we are cousins, I guess if you wish to break it, that is a formal excuse for war, and that is my Casus Belli

sotijalo said:
Avgvstvs said:
a war? Have I understood well? will be WAR?
English against Normans?
:mrgreen:

I'll bring the popcorn
me too...and we'll watch the show, sitting near...
when we can see an OFFICIAL duel... Eadric, Eorl of England, and William, Duc de Normandie?
sounds great :grin:

That was a letter, you Norman bastard. Eadric Eorl didn't go to Caen, he sent the lowliest messenger he could find. Probably my gardener.

Now, I'm not the eorl, so my response can't be official, but:
i. Harold does not belong to the House of the West-Saxons. Eadgar Æðeling does, however. At any rate, if the Godwins do take the crown, we'll rather have an English king than a Norman one.
ii. We don't believe Eadward King ever did those things. If he told you you would be his heir, it was a passing thought, never confirmed. It is not a valid claim.
iii. A drop of the blood of the West-Saxons doesn't make you one, and you won't earn kinship with the Fyrnings by means of threats and dealings with the Pope.
iiii. "iv"? Gah! That alone is enough reason to go to war!

PS, and out of character: we left the date somewhat vague because we don't want to say "Víkingr is set in a few months of 1066". So Harold is not the king here.

hrotha said:
That was a letter, you Norman bastard. Eadric Eorl didn't go to Caen, he sent the lowliest messenger he could find. Probably my gardener.

Now, I'm not the eorl, so my response can't be official, but:
i. Harold does not belong to the House of the West-Saxons. Eadgar Æðeling does, however. At any rate, if the Godwins do take the crown, we'll rather have an English king than a Norman one.
ii. We don't believe Eadward King ever did those things. If he told you you would be his heir, it was a passing thought, never confirmed. It is not a valid claim.
iii. A drop of the blood of the West-Saxons doesn't make you one, and you won't earn kinship with the Fyrnings by means of threats and dealings with the Pope.
iiii. "iv"? Gah! That alone is enough reason to go to war!

PS, and out of character: we left the date somewhat vague because we don't want to say "Víkingr is set in a few months of 1066". So Harold is not the king here.

yes, it is IV

Me, Avgvstvs, offer my sword and my spear to the best offerer...

Many things we think we know about the Romans are more modern conventions, Classical Latin being a prime example. The Romans used both IV and IIII, as seen here. In Anglo-Saxon England, IIII was universal, or nearly so, and that was the norm in Medieval Europe. Even much later, you can find stuff like this.

for the war announced by William and Eadric, I offer my sword and my spear to the best offerer, that mean 2 enslaved women...young, and one supply of beer for 3 months

well i dont know what this war is about but im not on Williams side anyway but i catn give you 3 weeks supply of beer, but i cant give you 3 weeks supply of MEAD  :wink:

im currently ''natural'' i will join Éadric if William draws his sword

Back
Top Bottom