Historic Thread for Floris Workshop Development.

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ahhh ok.

I'll have them in about an hour then I'm about 3/4 of the way to owning my castle now just micro managing my enemy to make them take the castle I want so I can take it back and ask for it as a reward :smile:.

With my relations at 57 with the king he'll give me pretty much anything I want.

I got kinda lucky with quests and turning up in time to save his lazy ass in huge battles, 75 caravan guards charging an enemy flank is surprisingly good at turning a battle around.

Windyplains said:
If you are referring to a latest play-through in the workshop then you can ransom the lord by simply speaking to them while they are a prisoner in your party.  If you want a little humor make sure you have a companion set to being your party "gaoler".

Sounds great.  Yes, this is definitely an improvement area I'd like to go after eventually.

Ack I didn't realize you could force a ransom like that. Neat.

I think I've gotten the AI to better value the army they are with but I'm not certain. Its somewhat hard to test as you need a sizable force of your own and an enemy army to try it on so I'd appreciate it if others could test it too. I made a pretty simple change to the script_party_calculate_and_set_nearby_friend_enemy_follower_strengths so a lord following someone would count the strength of the army as a whole on top of just who they are right next too as their nearby friend strength. I'm pretty sure slot_party_nearby_friend_strength isn't used to resolve anything, only to make choices about attacking or running so i don't think I mucked anything up. This goes at the end of party_calculate_and_set_nearby_friend_enemy_follower_strengths:
Code:
        (try_end),
		#Dienes ai edit
        (try_begin),
			(this_or_next|party_slot_eq, ":party_no", slot_party_ai_state, spai_accompanying_army),
			(party_slot_eq, ":party_no", slot_party_ai_state, spai_screening_army),
			(party_get_slot, ":ai_object", ":party_no", slot_party_ai_object),
			(ge, ":ai_object", 0),
			(party_is_active, ":ai_object"),
			(party_get_slot, ":flr_str", ":ai_object", slot_party_follower_strength),
			(store_distance_to_party_from_party, ":distance2", ":ai_object", ":party_no"),
           (lt, ":distance2", 20),
			(try_begin),
              (lt, ":distance2", 5),
              (assign, ":str_divided", ":flr_str"),
            (else_try),
              (lt, ":distance2", 10),
              (store_div, ":str_divided", ":flr_str", 2),
            (else_try),
              (lt, ":distance2", 15),
              (store_div, ":str_divided", ":flr_str", 4),
            (else_try),
              (store_div, ":str_divided", ":flr_str", 8),
            (try_end),
			(val_add, ":friend_strength", ":str_divided"),
		(try_end),

(party_set_slot, ":party_no", slot_party_follower_strength, ":follower_strength"),
        (party_set_slot, ":party_no", slot_party_nearby_friend_strength, ":friend_strength"),
        (party_set_slot, ":party_no", slot_party_nearby_enemy_strength, ":enemy_strength"),
    ]),

Will regional patrols also defend the villages attached to a town/castle or just patrol around their home center?

Always welcome.
Have seen this today :
  :shock:
This.. hmm.. bug does not manifest itself. Nothing like red text errors or script warnings here, just small mirror party of my hero and companions npc-s patroling around my capital city. Cant catch this party for dialog, cuz to fast and disappears out of sight range anytime.

Dienes said:
Will regional patrols also defend the villages attached to a town/castle or just patrol around their home center?
Yes, they patrol an area of radius 6 which from testing in Dhirim meant they covered each attached village.  I intend to set it so that if you tell them to defend a certain village the radius will be decreased to 3 so they stick closer to it.

TehGanker said:
Have seen this today :
  :shock:
This.. hmm.. bug does not manifest itself. Nothing like red text errors or script warnings here, just small mirror party of my hero and companions npc-s patroling around my capital city. Cant catch this party for dialog, cuz to fast and disappears out of sight range anytime.
I'm afraid I need more to go on for that one.  Was there any enemies nearby this city?  Did the patrol move out a bit and then return to the city to disappear?  I'm guessing it is a quirk from me disabling castle garrison patrols.  Perhaps I didn't disable them entirely like I'd thought so it spawned a copy of party #0 (the player's party).

Windyplains said:
I'm afraid I need more to go on for that one.  Was there any enemies nearby this city?  Did the patrol move out a bit and then return to the city to disappear?
Patrol wandering around my capital city, and my kingdom is not at war. I unload all troops of my party and finally catch this bugged patrol.  When meeting opened dialogue with the minister, and as minister was myself. If i pick "leave" i got the hostile party meeting menu, with i can leave free.
Get another bug - i ask suddenly Ymira (my minister) to rejoin my party, but ofc left her as minister. A pare of days she came back and reported like she do an increasing right to rule mission. Also at the same time she remained a minister. I took her back to the party and resolve this bug by switching and replacing npc's on minister post, and finally she got back his post  :cool:
I'm sorry, but can't post here save file with this, cuz my old crappy laptop finally dies today :cry: Think that I would use savegame i place here few days ago, or start a new game.
And many pardons for my poor english, hope there my actions are presented correctly.

TehGanker said:
Patrol wandering around my capital city, and my kingdom is not at war. I unload all troops of my party and finally catch this bugged patrol.  When meeting opened dialogue with the minister, and as minister was myself. If i pick "leave" i got the hostile party meeting menu, with i can leave free.
Hmm.  I'm not sure what else might have caused that.  I still think it is a castle garrison glitch, but if anyone else can confirm it that'd be useful info.

Get another bug - i ask suddenly Ymira (my minister) to rejoin my party, but ofc left her as minister. A pare of days she came back and reported like she do an increasing right to rule mission. Also at the same time she remained a minister. I took her back to the party and resolve this bug by switching and replacing npc's on minister post, and finally she got back his post  :cool:
Just to be clear...she was your minister or an advisor (castle steward)?  I did alter this code in v0.09 for the advisors to prevent them from doing just what you've suggested (because I had it happen in your save game), however, I might have caused an issue for ministers without realizing it.

I'm sorry, but can't post here save file with this, cuz my old crappy laptop finally dies today :cry: Think that I would use savegame i place here few days ago, or start a new game.
Sorry to hear that.  I appreciate the reports all of the same.

And many pardons for my poor english, hope there my actions are presented correctly.
Your English is better than you give it credit as you are easy to understand.

Workshop%20in%2010th%20spot.JPG
It is encouraging to see the workshop jump from obscurity to 10th in just a couple of weeks (this is just the last 2 week list).  I wanted to say thanks for all of the feedback, bug reports and suggestions.  That's a good part of the fun in the modding game for me.  So as always...keep them coming and I'll keep new versions coming. :smile:

Floris Workshop is really one of the best mod i have played.
even though some little bugs but still very funny and very admirable~
Thanks for making and sharing your mod.

Mtwh said:
Floris Workshop is really one of the best mod i have played.
even though some little bugs but still very funny and very admirable~
Thanks for making and sharing your mod.
Yes, I must agree with this as well. The humour and the general direction this is going, for me, is exactly what I like. The planned additions will make this a top mod, and the balance at the moment is just the right level of challenge that tests me at times to the full, yet I feel I can get there without cheating or lowering the skill levels.
Many thanks for the years of hard work and sharing you have done to make help make Warband the game it is today  :cool:

Sorry for the noob question but I just reinstalled warband and looking for some good mods to play :grin:

I like the look of this one but not sure what to use/download?

I have downloaded Floris Mod Pack 2.54 but what is this workshop mod?

Is it a expansion for the  Floris Mod Pack 2.54 or it's own standalone mod ?

If it's it's own mod do what the best one to use ?

Thank you.

Hi, this mod in "Floris workshop" is in development, which is why it is called a workshop. The mod you have downloaded, 2.54 is a group of mods cleverly brought together and tweaked etc. to form some mod options, so as it says on the "bottle", if you have downloaded 2.54, choose which version you want when you install it, depends a bit on the power of your machine or whether you like a basic mod or a fully expanded one. The mod in this thread works very well, but can be changed any time as it is expanded, until it becomes a full blown mod in it's own right, but at the moment is a beta being developed, and a stand alone.  :smile:

As confusion hasn't been uncommon of late about Floris and the workshop's relation to it, I'm going to be changing the mod's name with the next version that causes a save break so as not to screw up save game locations.  Then I'll be moving out of the Floris forum over to the main warband released mods forum.  Now I just need to come up with a fitting name, eh?  Not really my strong point so any ideas on that are quite welcome.

I have two name for reference.

"A Knight's Tale" ---
I like that movie and the good actor Heath Ledger,when i play this mod , i always  connect the mod "Floris workshops" with the movie "A Knight's Tale".

"Spirit of Scabbard" ---
A man/character with still waters run deep,hides his talent until a fighting ,a battle, a war.
The spirit is similar with the game and this mod,i think.

Anyway,I expect for the newest version.  :wink:

"For valour For glory" from the poem from the same name  (Valour is spelt differently I think in the UK to Valor in the US)

Ankle deep in red, sticky mud,

deafened, blinded, ripe for death.

In this slaughter-theatre of blood,

whisper "victory" with dying breath.

Or, perhaps "Peace by the Sword"

Not easy to think of something different, but still gives an indication of what to expect.  :cool:

As to new names for this mod:

I think it would be helpful for those looking for new mods to have a name that tells them this is set in Caladria and not a complete overhaul.  Some examples

Caladrian Conquest
Five Kingdoms of Caladria
Caladria at War
Conquest of Caladria

UniversalWolf said:
Sir Olf and the Implementations of Doom.

Sir Olf is, of course, Floris backward.

I like this but I think it should give some hint of what the mod is about.

I propose Sir Olf's Olde Municipal Works &c.

Dienes said:
UniversalWolf said:
Sir Olf and the Implementations of Doom.

Sir Olf is, of course, Floris backward.

I like this but I think it should give some hint of what the mod is about.
That's why "Implementations of Doom" 'cause it's trying out new implementations.

Windyplains said:
Captain of the Guard
Garrison Recruitment: Through the captain you'll be able to designate what kinds of recruits you'd like hired to stock your garrison at a city as well as set a target limit.  The advisor's persuasion and renown will have a noticeable influence on this function.  Also your own renown will influence this.

Garrison Training: The captain will then take these fresh recruits and train them up in a series of "upgrade chains" that you'll be able to designate.  The idea is to make it so you can configure this upgrading option to stop at a specific point in a chain or continue to the highest rank.  The advisor's leadership & training skills will have a noticeable influence on this function.
Last time I spoke about the Captain of the Guard changes I merely hinted at the features in the above quote, but now I'd like to explain a little of how they'll work here.  And for those wondering, v0.10 is effectively at a "quick polish" stage of looking for obvious bugs, but is effectively done so it should be released within a day or two.  I'm going to probably ramble a bit here for having just woken up so bear with me.

Garrison Recruitment

One of the more annoying aspects for M&B gameplay (to me) is that of having to stock each garrison after it is taken.  Yes, it is intended to be a part of the difficulty, but it is a time-sink vs. a gameplay challenge.  Running about gathering a few peasants and bringing them back to put in the keep just doesn't strike me as the sort of work kings & lords should be worrying about.  Diplomacy had a good idea with the roaming recruiter that could bring in high numbers with a little increase in cost and a large chance of failure.  I instead decided to go a different way looking at this as a "recruiting in the background" setup where peasants find their own way to the castle.  It functions quite different and is balanced quite differently.

A peasant traveling to become a soldier and help defend his lands is likely to stick nearby to his own village because why would he care about a village on the other edge of the map that is probably a different culture?  So when recruitment is turned on, each keep only draws from its own bound villages.  This gives a strong advantage to towns over castles and with reason as they should have a larger pool to draw from.  Towns and castles will also recruit from within.

The largest reason I stepped away from the roaming recruiter is that it relied upon luck of not being slaughtered during travel to balance gaining a potentially large sum of fresh recruits.  This approach didn't really take into account; the prosperity of a village, any attributes about the recruiter himself, a difficulty rating for the game or any of the kingdom management options I've added since which is why I went to the background recruiting method.  Diplomacy simply didn't use the same "systems" so it didn't need to take that stuff into account, but what it did very well was factor in distance from its recruiting source and risk in travel.  I can fake the distance part via formula, but the risk is hard to make up in the same manner so I haven't done so.  Instead the recruiting numbers are simply smaller.  In testing I've seen recruitment numbers range from 1-15 per day depending on the things that influence recruiting.  Please note that drawing recruits from villages as you've always done in native is entirely unchanged.  These are extra troops and as such are more restrictive.

So here are some of the primary factors in determining how fast your garrison will build in size:
[*] A greater prosperity rating will improve recruiting.
[*] A smaller distance from village to town will improve recruiting.  (villages only)
[*] A higher persuasion score from your Captain of the Guard will improve recruiting.
[*] A higher renown score from your Captain of the Guard will improve recruiting.
[*] A higher renown score for your main character will improve recruiting.
[*] A higher "improved number of recruits in villages" kingdom management setting will greatly improve recruiting.  (villages only)
[*] A lower mod difficulty will improve recruiting.
[*] Enabling the "mandatory conscription" decree will greatly improve recruiting, but triggers its penalties.

These are some of the limitations recruiting faces:
[*] Recruits that villages produce only go to their bound castle or town.
[*] Captains will stop recruiting when the garrison reaches a certain threshold to prevent you from building keeps larger than the AI.  This threshold is a base of 300 men + 100 men for every 5 combined points of Persuasion & Leadership.  So a persuasion + leadership of 11 would enable the Captain to recruit up to 500 soldiers.
[*] Captains will only recruit members of their own culture.

The idea here was to increase convenience without wrecking balance.  So there is a lot of factoring in of conditions to determine if you should be drawing travelers to your garrison or not.  It should also be obvious that picking the right companion for the job will go a long way as their skills alter their effectiveness.

Garrison Training

Now that we're stuffing the garrison with a bunch of green recruits, we'll look at turning them into soldiers.  The Captain's ability to train the garrison is not intended as a free training service, but it does accomplish a form of "background training".  Sometimes you get in a position of pulling recruits out of a keep simply to drag them around the map while your companions' trainer skill ups their level.  While this may give your character more to do, it simply doesn't make sense to me from a realistic standpoint.  Instead I'd expect to see your garrison training back in your courtyard and when you pull some out to take in your warband it is because you need soldiers ready to fight, not train.

In Diplomacy this system was done by selecting a generic melee or ranged option which was actually simply saying "stick to path 1" or "stick to path 2".  This lead a lot of folks to be unhappy with it in Floris due to so many troop tree branches that simply didn't get accounted for.  As a result, I've set things up so that any troop that has an upgrade option now has a percentage chance of that option happening by default.  So if troop A can turn into Troop B or C then each of those options starts with a default 50% chance.  You can speak to the Captain to alter these percentages by looking at the info screen for Troop A (screenshot below).  Setting up this balance is how the Captain knows to upgrade troops to your preference and this setup is global.  So you won't need to set it up in each keep as it is based on the troop, but you won't be able to have Castle A upgrade troops in a different manner than Castle B.  Some folks may not like that, but using either system (castle specific or troop specific) was going to have a pro & con so I elected the latter.

Note that much like the recruitment system, Captains will only upgrade members of their own culture.  Your Captain wouldn't know how to train soldiers of another culture in their fighting styles.  This upgrade is currently set to happen on a weekly basis.  Again with this system the choice of Captain makes a fairly big deal as his stats have a strong influence on the effectiveness of his training methods.

Soldiers can only be upgraded up to a maximum tier and this is directly limited by a combination of your Captain's leadership & training skills.  The actual formula looks a little like [ tier = 2 + (Leadership + Training)/5 ].  Similarly the Captain's attributes influence the number of upgrades that can occur at each tier with a strong emphasis on his leadership and training again.  That formula presently looks like [ chance = 8 + (Leadership + Training)/2 ].  Keep in mind that these are still very much at a balance and polish stage.

Treasury

You may have noted that I avoided talking about the cost or payment mechanics for both of the features above so I'll discuss that here.  As I was developing both, I kept struggling with how to make these systems work within the existing weekly budget.  While I could easily charge you on a per-upgrade/recruitment basis, if I don't let you know what your costs are then you could very easily feel like you have little control over something that is absolutely capable of draining your coffers.  And who really wants to read spam messages about recruiting in center X anyway?  I was already wanting to implement a system of using a treasury so that concept melded well with what I needed.  Here I definitely need to give some credit props to the Diplomacy mod as their use of this kind of system certainly influenced my choice in using it.  The system is still in a very early state, but it works great for supporting these two systems at the moment.  Right now you can either make direct deposits / withdrawals to your treasury (similar to Diplomacy) or authorize deposits on a weekly basis that are incorporated right into the weekly budget screen.  So you won't have to travel to Wercheg repeatedly to deposit another few thousand.  Simply give them a per week allotment of a 1.5k (or whatever amount) as needed to support the town as needed.

Garrison recruitment will cost you on a per recruit gained basis and this recruitment occurs daily.  The cost for this entirely comes from the treasury of the recruiting town and if insufficient funds exist then the recruitment will simply halt until the treasury builds back up.  This lets you set a growth limit on recruitment of your own by simply starving the treasury if need be.  You could easily drop 5k into a town's treasury and then not pay it another penny, but let it recruit as much as it can with what you've given it.

Garrison training will also cost you on a per soldier upgraded basis (using their actual upkeep costs).  This also comes directly from the treasury and will stop if insufficient funds exist.  This way neither of these systems should be a constant drain on your financial resources unless you want them to be by setting up a per week income.

In closing, and if you're still with me so far, reward yourself with a few screenshots and a shot of caffeine.  Sorry for the length, but bullet "change log" lists can only convey so much and I hope folks gain some insights from reading these on why a system evolved a certain way.  Today I'll be doing some heavy play-testing with hopefully a release tomorrow, but I can't promise that for certainty.  As v0.10 will be save game compatible, I don't want to screw up someone's save game because I forgot to carry a 1 somewhere.

Screenshots:

Discussing the state of defenses with the Captain of the Guard.
captain%20of%20the%20guard.JPG

Looking at the specifics on a single troop in the training setup.
garrison%20training.JPG

The treasury interface.
treasury.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom