Javelins in Brytenwalda

Users who are viewing this thread

Hypno Toad

Sergeant at Arms
One of brytenwaldas objectives is to create realistic combat, and for the most part I think it's done that very well. Good historical accuracy and more slugfest/skirmish melee combat (like it should be)

However one historical misconception that really bothers me is the accepted fact that javelins pierce and damage shields. They don't. Now for full closure I'd like to point out the fact that the Pilum (a very specific type of javelin) was most likely intended to damage shields due to its shape and it's very intensive weight factor. They have a long thin point and the entire construct weighs 2-5 KG, certainly enough to badly damage a crappy shield.

However, since the Pilum is often referred to as javelin by historians, the misconception that all javelins pierce shields arises. Javelins such as these, the small skirmish variants that would have been carried in bundles, would not be able to pierce shields. They are not long enough, not heavy enough, and the head is far too broad for these javelins to be thrown with enough force to pierce and stick into a poplar shield.

This is my own personal "theory," I the smaller skirmishing javelins would have been intended to cause injury. If one soldier were to thrown 5 of these small javelins into a formation of soldiers, he could reasonably expect that he might hit hands, hit legs, hit arms, or hit somebody in the head. Either of these outcomes would cause a significant and painful injury. In conclusion, these skirmishing volleys of small javelins would not be intended to damage shields, but would be intended to cause injury and disarray among enemy troops.

My suggestion:

I think it'd be much more realistic if "javelins," 'horsemen javelins," and "wooden javelins," did not cause extra damage to shields, and on top of that, like throwing rocks or something of that nature they should not even stick into shields. Upon hitting a shield they should just vanish like a throwing rock. It becomes sort of silly to see soldiers walking around with their shield completely plastered in these tiny javelins.

However, Throwing Spears and Angons should remain as they are now.. throwing spears and angons are much heavier and much longer, and I'd imagine they'd have a reasonable chance of piercing a poplar shield. Besides that, soldiers only carry 1-2 agnons/throwing spears so it seems fair that they'd be better.

On top of that, all throwing weapons should probably be a fair bit slower in motion. All the javelins and darts in the game move way too fast. If you've ever thrown a javelin or seen a real javelin (not one of those Olympic "flight" javelins) be thrown, they don't move that fast. They are quite slow. I realize that the soldiers in brytenwalda would be quite adept javelin throwers, but nonetheless you really shouldn't be seeing these javelins move as fast as arrows. They are a throwing object, not an object shot from a bow.

I agree with this and also add the suggestion: cut the range down significantly. I think the world record javelin throw is about 100 metres, and that's with a javelin which was specifically engineered for flight. I can't imagine a true combat javelin (which are for the most part unbalanced and heavy) doing better than that. I see some throws which look to be in the vicinity of 300m or so; and although it's almost impossible to be accurate at that range, it's really annoying when you've just gotten insta-killed by a javelin to the face which had no realistic way of getting to you.

I've been complaining about this for months. I believe they buffed the javelins back in v 1.390 to match the javelins in the Roman-era submod.
Javelins not only should have much less distance, but be less deadly and damaging to shields.
They would have been the weapons of poor men, kind of like improved slings.
Next level up should be bows arrows.
Not sure they were even used much in Old England.  The celts gave them up after the Roman invasion.

I totally agree with all of the above. While the pilum was mainly made to damage shields or make them unusable due to their weight (with loads of pila sticking in it), javelins where mainly used to cause injuries and disarray in the enemy troops (even though I would not want a pilum stick in my body...). The equivalents for the pilum in Brytenwalda are probably angons and heavy throwing spears. A great feature would be, that a shield with one or two angons etc sticking in it, couldn't be used for cover anymore. Or you could get some penalties on your skills. Just a suggestion and even as it is... I love the mod.

The pilum specifically was a pointed barbed soft iron head with a long neck and a very heavy body.  The intent wasn't to damage the shield, but to weigh it down so that the enemy discarded it.

Pretty specific weapon, and like all the other roman technology - far out of reach of our miserable dark ages denizens.

nox said:
Pretty specific weapon, and like all the other roman technology - far out of reach of our miserable dark ages denizens.

Yeah, SO far out of reach that the Anglo-Saxons had their own version in the form of the angon.  :razz:

For the most part, technology WAS NOT LOST after Rome collapsed. What WAS lost was the logistical and economic support to do it on the same massive scale.

nox said:

So advanced that it was the copy of the Iberian Solifera.

actually, for the most part, technology advanced after the fall of the Empire, stirrups, horse collars, chimmneys, all appear in europe before the end of the 9th century. the scale of production was diminished though.

I am thinking they increased javelin effectiveness a bit to somewhat counter the unrealistic tactic of riding around enemies continuously with a long spear picking them off one by one.

Well... I use these kind of weapons very often, because it is my hobby, so i tried a few times what a javelin can do to a shield. If a javelin has been thrown good enough(accuracy, stregth) it damages the shield badly. There will be a hole on your shield. Okay not very disturbing, but if you get 2-3 more, your shield is wrecked and if you're unlucky, you're dead.

I don't think one means it shouldn't damage a shield (sling bullets also damaged shield), but it shouldn't exceptionally damage one. The heavy throwing spears and angons should do a lot more damage that a wooden javelin, or a light battle dart, against a shield, by sheer virtue of weight in the first instance, or the way it's made in the second instance. Those should do additional damage. But a light dart, stuck in your shield, will not slow you much, nor will lighter javelins meant to be thrown at longer ranges; they go so far because they're light. You can just tear them off. It doesn't mean they do no damage, obviously they do, but that's not the damage of a Saxon warrior hurling an angon, or an Irish chief with a huge heavy throwing spear. When those stick in, they cause problems as much as much as a Roman pila, and can make a shield a disadvantage. That's why they were used.

Fidna said:
I don't think one means it shouldn't damage a shield (sling bullets also damaged shield), but it shouldn't exceptionally damage one. The heavy throwing spears and angons should do a lot more damage that a wooden javelin, or a light battle dart, against a shield, by sheer virtue of weight in the first instance, or the way it's made in the second instance. Those should do additional damage. But a light dart, stuck in your shield, will not slow you much, nor will lighter javelins meant to be thrown at longer ranges; they go so far because they're light. You can just tear them off. It doesn't mean they do no damage, obviously they do, but that's not the damage of a Saxon warrior hurling an angon, or an Irish chief with a huge heavy throwing spear. When those stick in, they cause problems as much as much as a Roman pila, and can make a shield a disadvantage. That's why they were used.

Exactly.

Count Roland said:
Well... I use these kind of weapons very often, because it is my hobby, so i tried a few times what a javelin can do to a shield. If a javelin has been thrown good enough(accuracy, stregth) it damages the shield badly. There will be a hole on your shield. Okay not very disturbing, but if you get 2-3 more, your shield is wrecked and if you're unlucky, you're dead.

Yeah, I should have clarified this.

What I meant was, that even the smaller skirmishing javelins have the "Bonus Damage to Shield" flag. Why would these small broadhead javelins do any more damage to a shield than a spear thrust or sword blow? The "Bonus Damage to Shield" flag is meant for things like axes and throwing axes; weapons that are actually intended to chop or bust-up wood :wink:

You must admit it's very annoying when a Deaisbard (on the extreme end of things) hucks 1-2 single tiny horsemans javelins at you and your 4000 scillinga reinforced shield literally explodes into pieces.

Hypno Toad said:
Count Roland said:

Yeah, I should have clarified this.

What I meant was, that even the smaller skirmishing javelins have the "Bonus Damage to Shield" flag. Why would these small broadhead javelins do any more damage to a shield than a spear thrust or sword blow? The "Bonus Damage to Shield" flag is meant for things like axes and throwing axes; weapons that are actually intended to chop or bust-up wood :wink:

You must admit it's very annoying when a Deaisbard (on the extreme end of things) hucks 1-2 single tiny horsemans javelins at you and your 4000 scillinga reinforced shield literally explodes into pieces.

That kind of javellin is also good enough to do significant damage to a shield. If you want to avoid this, you need a shield made of metal, because wooden shields which were used in that era, couldn't take more than 1-2 javelins. Tha fact ist, that these shields weren't made of one piece of wood, but it was put together from more pieces and if something hit your shield between these pieces, it started to fall to pieces.

Not sure if this was mentioned but it's also a bit silly how long javelins stick out of your body while they've only penetrated an inch or two. It just looks ridiculous when someones been hit by a couple because they obscure your view and dance around while you move. Having arrows stick to the body and shields looks fine but I don't think javelins should.

Parakon said:
Not sure if this was mentioned but it's also a bit silly how long javelins stick out of your body while they've only penetrated an inch or two. It just looks ridiculous when someones been hit by a couple because they obscure your view and dance around while you move. Having arrows stick to the body and shields looks fine but I don't think javelins should.

Hahaha, I have to agree. I had to fight a battle with a javelin sticking out of my head. Made me switch out of first person view because I couldn't see a thing!

It was lucky I decided to put on a helm instead of sticking with my cloak...

This thread is old but i gotta respond :cool:

I agree on all points but you have to take into consideration that hit detection, or however you call it, is very poor in Warband and you can't really fix it because of engine limitations.

I don't know if you noticed or not but if you aim a jevelin or an arrow to lets say enemies legs, it would magically hit the shield, like it's a magnet for throwing weapons and arrows.
Also all the armies in the mod heavily rely on shields, that's why it's called shield wall and there's really no other way to break a few shields before going into melee.

I'd very much like for every mod to be extremely realistic, but as i have said engine puts some really crappy limitations and no amount of modding can remove those limitations.

Takeda Shingen said:
This thread is old but i gotta respond :cool:

I agree on all points but you have to take into consideration that hit detection, or however you call it, is very poor in Warband and you can't really fix it because of engine limitations.

I don't know if you noticed or not but if you aim a jevelin or an arrow to lets say enemies legs, it would magically hit the shield, like it's a magnet for throwing weapons and arrows.
Also all the armies in the mod heavily rely on shields, that's why it's called shield wall and there's really no other way to break a few shields before going into melee.

I'd very much like for every mod to be extremely realistic, but as i have said engine puts some really crappy limitations and no amount of modding can remove those limitations.
Yeah you are really right, and I also must mention the shield coverage bug:
In vanilla warband it's not like that! If you throw/shoot at someone's leg while he's blocking it will hit his leg, not the shield. This "bug" or intended feature where I see some "wannabe warriors" with shields as small as their heads and yet they block every single frontal ranged attack, until the shield breaks ofc.

Back
Top Bottom