Suggestion for multiplayer COOP campaign

Users who are viewing this thread

Shandathe

Recruit
Ever wanted to play Mount and Blade: Warband with your friends on the campaign story line, controlling your own lord and riding around, protecting your castle?

I would like to note that these suggestions do not cover in detail the suggestions concerning battles. These suggestions are focused more on solving the issues that prevent multiplayer play on the campaign level (the riding around on your own bit).

This is a suggestion that me and my friends came up with after discussing possibilities and a strong desire to play cooperatively on the campaign story mode. Unfortunately, we are not developers or have the skills to do so, so we want someone to take our ideas and run with it.

Firstly, we want to identify and address issues that may arise during the game.
1) Real-time. What happens when one player enters a battle?
Answer: When 1 player enters a battle, the other players are given the option of:
a) either joining the battle as 1 of the members or soldiers in the player's party (this idea is derived from the player-made mod "Battle Time" which is made by Egbert. You can find more about this mod at ( http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?topic=150827.0 )
OR
b) Observe the battle.
Some issues may arise from this:
I) What if players choose different factions?
Well, disable it. This is meant to be a COOPERATIVE, so we want players to play on the same side. Therefore, all players must agree on a single faction during game creation and therefore, play as lords for that faction (and later, create their own faction together). This way, the players are stuck playing cooperatively. Vote a person to become king.
II) The player that is fighting does not have enough soldiers for other players.
In this case, the other players will be forced to observe. Thankfully, if there is NOT enough characters for players, then the fight should be pretty short.
III) What if you die during a battle?
One idea is allowing players that have fallen in combat to choose to play as a soldier or character in the next wave.

2) What if their are biases between players?
I want a system that is designed for friends who enjoy this game to play together. Therefore, the emphasis is on FRIENDS. Hopefully, your 'friends' don't hate you.

3) Real-time during free-roam.
If combat can be synced, then free-roam shouldn't be difficult to sync either. Many other games can sync the roleplay part in various other forms.

These are a few immediate issues that we can see. If you have any ideas or concerns, please feel free to post them below!
Reminder: I am NOT a developer nor do I have any such skills to do so, so please do not lecture me with pages of scripting issues and complications. Not my field of expertise. I just want to be a brainchild for the creation of a cooperative campaign.
Also, it would be nice if this could work with various other mods as well, for example: Prophecy of Pendor.

To be honest, you say things like:

If combat can be synced, then free-roam shouldn't be difficult to sync either. Many other games can sync the roleplay part in various other forms.

then you go on and state

Reminder: I am NOT a developer nor do I have any such skills to do so

The things you talk about actually are not that "easy," or it would have been done by now. The engine prohibits quite a few things, and only so many tweaks and modifications can be done to it until it's in want of a total overhaul. You're about the seven millionth person to think, "hey, SP co-op mode would be cool, here are my ideas, go make my mod please," so keep that in mind.

Lastly, you do have the skills to do so -- the internet is full of resources to learn coding. I suggest python to start with, personally, but it's really up to you. If you want this mod to happen and it "shouldn't be difficult," then I suggest you get to it.

I still wonder why this hasn't been done. I would play this all day. Coop campaign? Take my money!

I want to control a party with a friend. Even if it's only 2 players. I don't see any problems or issues that would make this impossible.

coo_snake said:
I still wonder why this hasn't been done. I would play this all day. Coop campaign? Take my money!

I want to control a party with a friend. Even if it's only 2 players. I don't see any problems or issues that would make this impossible.
See the mod BattleTime!
One of you controls the party on the map, the other can join in during battles...at battle time.

As for problems with multiple players running parties at the same time, it is hard not to think of problems that would make this impossible with the real time, with pause, way that the world map is currently implemented. See the umpteen threads suggesting coop for a sampling of them.

Ah-HA! Supporting this completely!

http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?topic=77696.msg5463626#msg5463626

1 - Multiplayer Campaign: The design for M&B is something that, with a few tweaks for multiplayer, could easily outshine most other multiplayer games on the market. The combat is phenomenal, in itself. Throw in the politics and strategy of the campaign, and it's an amazing thing. Imagine: players starting their own factions and working with or against whichever other nations they choose; working in the same faction, only to have one backstab the leader or arrange a coup (if an influential Lord suddenly breaks away, his lands go with him - it's a powerful thing...). There would have to be limitations, naturally, because you want to have all engaged parties on at once. So perhaps a player limit of eight or ten, with a necessity of 75% online, minimum. Those players absent would be contolled by AI. And no player can be controlled by AI for more than one consecutive in-game month.

So, hard to set up properly, but I know of lots of little gaming communities who would LOVE this.

Caba`drin said:
coo_snake said:

See the mod BattleTime!
One of you controls the party on the map, the other can join in during battles...at battle time.

As for problems with multiple players running parties at the same time, it is hard not to think of problems that would make this impossible with the real time, with pause, way that the world map is currently implemented. See the umpteen threads suggesting coop for a sampling of them.

You didn't understand, it would be a single party for all the players. Ideally 2 players, if not more.

I think the it could be done, with what we already have in single player;
A players party, with NPC heroes. This time the NPC heroes, will be controlled by real players, but the system remains the same. Or make some kind of character generator, so that players come with their own charachters. But they can only join in the party when they sit in the game-lobby, multiplayer coop panel. If someone arrives later, the party controller must open the camp menu in game, and invite the new player. (XXX has joined the party)
Whenever someone leaves the AI could take over, I think this would be the least buggy, and may be implemented into the current system.
So the host, (or the chosen?) player controls the party and does everything, just like in single player, while the others may only interact in chat which would appear just like any notification on the left side, or like in the normal multiplayer game (team chat color), while in "free roaming" mode.
Buying or trading stuff is all done by the party leader player, just like in single, so he has to "talk" with his comrades to trade items or money, and only he possess the inventory "backpack" panel.

In tournament and arena the other players can fight on their own, or randomly picked in the teams.
In battle, totally the same as we have now, its the least issue, it's just that the battle continuation shall be required too, if the party controller player falls.

Getting xp, improve stuff, or receive training will remain just as it is.
The weight is heavily on: cooperative playing.

Legolan said:
Its been done for medieval total war 2, dont see why it cant be done here.
...is M&B turn-based? Yeah, didn't think so.

coo_snake said:
Caba`drin said:
coo_snake said:

See the mod BattleTime!

You didn't understand, it would be a single party for all the players. Ideally 2 players, if not more.
Then BattleTime that **** and email a save back and forth.

Troublesome_bandit said:
A players party, with NPC heroes. This time the NPC heroes, will be controlled by real players, but the system remains the same. Or make some kind of character generator, so that players come with their own charachters. But they can only join in the party when they sit in the game-lobby, multiplayer coop panel. If someone arrives later, the party controller must open the camp menu in game, and invite the new player. (XXX has joined the party)
Whenever someone leaves the AI could take over, I think this would be the least buggy, and may be implemented into the current system.
So the host, (or the chosen?) player controls the party and does everything, just like in single player, while the others may only interact in chat which would appear just like any notification on the left side, or like in the normal multiplayer game (team chat color), while in "free roaming" mode.
Buying or trading stuff is all done by the party leader player, just like in single, so he has to "talk" with his comrades to trade items or money, and only he possess the inventory "backpack" panel.

In tournament and arena the other players can fight on their own, or randomly picked in the teams.
In battle, totally the same as we have now, its the least issue, it's just that the battle continuation shall be required too, if the party controller player falls.

Other than actively designing your own character (without just sending the stats to the 'host'), you are describing BattleTime.

Caba`drin said:
Legolan said:
Its been done for medieval total war 2, dont see why it cant be done here.
...is M&B turn-based? Yeah, didn't think so.

coo_snake said:
Caba`drin said:
coo_snake said:

See the mod BattleTime!

Then BattleTime that **** and email a save back and forth.

Troublesome_bandit said:

Other than actively designing your own character (without just sending the stats to the 'host'), you are describing BattleTime.
it should be possible to make it how easy it is are another problem. to i would say the game would be at least 10x better with Co-Op play. Like if its 50$ value now it would go to 250$ in value instead :razz:
tho how long time it takes to get it done i dunno. no it's not turn based tho still possible to make it ^^ might be a bother tho you might think its worth it in the end :razz: (make it as an expansion pack to the game that way u would earn on doing it) :razz:  ^^

Back
Top Bottom