S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Users who are viewing this thread

Holy crap this game is fun!

I bought the game and went ahead and installed it as I had heard a lot of good and bad stuff about it.  Anything causing that much hype (one way or the other) gets to be added to my collection.  So I installed it and thought I'd probably play it for a few minutes and then uninstall like I do with most FPS games.

It is difficult and fun, fun, fun.  I could do with a bit more realism, but other than that I give it a great big A+.  The graphics are really sweet, the lighting effects are awesome, the storyline (so far) is very good, the AI is fantastic .... only thing I haven't tried yet is the multi ... but I'm enjoying the SP side of it too much right now.

Very good game.  :grin:

Any other Stalker players out there?

Me too ! :smile: I already mentioned it in the "Any good shooter games?" thread. My biggest complaint about it is that you constantly have to fight, enemies  keep respawning. Another thing I dislike is the seperated areas, it'd been nicer if everything had been 1 big world like the Elder Scrolls games. But it's indeed very hard! I play at stalker, 2/4th of the difficulty. ]
The models look a bit early 21st century though (that's when they started the thing), the feet are way too big.

loveliness. And about the realism, it's moreso than most the FPS-games out there (combatwise atleast). Most firearms are accurate over the distance they are IRL, and most enemies go down from the second shot or so, and the first one usually drops them on their knes or something.

Worbah said:
loveliness. And about the realism, it's moreso than most the FPS-games out there (combatwise atleast). Most firearms are accurate over the distance they are IRL, and most enemies go down from the second shot or so, and the first one usually drops them on their knes or something.

Agreed.

The realism problems I have is with the 'health potion' foods and such.  Even still ... an awesome, awesome game.  Either of you played Multi yet and if so ... any good (by any good ... I mean are there bunny hopping idiots running around or is it 'good')?

Narcissus

Worbah said:
Not as you progress. But that could perhaps be accounted to the amount of body armour they wear. Anyway, what are those infamous bugs everybody talks about? I've only encountered one; a Freedom sniper shooting through a weak piece of wall at the old militairy base. The wall was about to be blown up by Duty anyway though, who are on a base raid. You can either choose to defend the base or attack it. :smile:

Bunny hopping doesn't really help. It only severely decreases stamina (which makes you unable to walk at some point) and screws up your aim.

I've definitely been looking forward to it as well (with some trepidation, addmittedly) and will be getting it some time in the next few weeks.
I'm glad to see that it seems to have mostly lived up to it's potential.

I dunno, they seem to have switched to scripted events rather than freewheeling, and it sounds like they've ditched most of the freedom.

According to PCG the games more like Far Cry than the promised 'Oblivion with guns' type thing, though that's not necessarily a bad thing in my book.

Mind you, from some of the stuff that the AI was getting up to in development I half wished they had left it in. Stalkers blowing off their own leg and then eating it because they were hungry would only have added to the atmosphere I feel :wink:

Archonsod said:
Stalkers blowing off their own leg and then eating it because they were hungry would only have added to the atmosphere I feel :wink:

The AI is pretty good.  I'm starting to really have problems and am thinking of either cheating or starting at a lower difficulty.  Man, this game is tough.

Narcissus

ON another forum they are complaining about the bloodsuckers.

Bloodsuckers and thunderstorm at night especialy for one poor guy. Scared the hell out of him. I don't think I'll get this game, I hate horror.

Archonsod said:
I dunno, they seem to have switched to scripted events rather than freewheeling, and it sounds like they've ditched most of the freedom.

their actions don't seem too scripted, however I've yet to see any other stalkers use any kind of items. Enemies are drawn towards sound and such, which means that when fending of some bandits during a mission they received unexpected reinforcements from the opposite direction. Never happened again. And the sound system IS great. You actually feel as though your enemies are relying on a sense instead of haxing it. You can sneak behind them, if you do it slowly. if you run, they'll hear you a mile off. I don't know about you guys, but that's something your 20 a dozen shooter lacks.

I'm usually top-notch at FPS games, but I'm warning you ... I'm having one hell of a time.  Set your difficulty pretty low unless you are an absolute master at these games.

I'm getting better as the game takes a bit to get used to, but there have been several spots (embarrassing but true) that I was forced to rely on the quick save/quick load combination.

Narcissus

its a good game but it doesnt feel like they have put 6 years of development in to it. its too damn short/small =/

Narcissus said:
I'm usually top-notch at FPS games, but I'm warning you ... I'm having one hell of a time.  Set your difficulty pretty low unless you are an absolute master at these games.

I'm getting better as the game takes a bit to get used to, but there have been several spots (embarrassing but true) that I was forced to rely on the quick save/quick load combination.

Narcissus
At which difficulty do you play? I started out confidently at 3/4th but I couldn't get any further than the first mission. :lol: Now I play on 2/4th, and it's still pretty damn hard. It plays a bit like CS I think.

Sir Prince said:
ON another forum they are complaining about the bloodsuckers.

Bloodsuckers and thunderstorm at night especialy for one poor guy. Scared the hell out of him. I don't think I'll get this game, I hate horror.
It's indeed pretty damn scary, especially all the mutated freaks. I once went to Yavu (sp?) and there were lots of zombified stalkers there. They just stroll around and mumble in Russian or some eastern-European language, they even put their flashlights on at night. *Shudders*

Worbah said:
Archonsod said:

their actions don't seem too scripted, however I've yet to see any other stalkers use any kind of items. Enemies are drawn towards sound and such, which means that when fending of some bandits during a mission they received unexpected reinforcements from the opposite direction. Never happened again. And the sound system IS great. You actually feel as though your enemies are relying on a sense instead of haxing it. You can sneak behind them, if you do it slowly. if you run, they'll hear you a mile off. I don't know about you guys, but that's something your 20 a dozen shooter lacks.
They even try to flank you, and don't rush into you. The packs of dogs are pretty neat too. They constantly attack and retreat. You don't have to kill them all, you can also scare them away by killing 3-4 dogs of the pack.

Raz said:
At which difficulty do you play? I started out confidently at 3/4th but I couldn't get any further than the first mission. :lol: Now I play on 2/4th, and it's still pretty damn hard. It plays a bit like CS I think.

One level below the hardest.  I heard the game was difficult so dropped it down a notch to give it a test.  I misunderstood the difficulty, it appears.

I'll be dropping that to the lowest level soon just to compare and see if it is challrnging enough.  :lol:

Narcissus

Raz said:
They even try to flank you, and don't rush into you. The packs of dogs are pretty neat too. They constantly attack and retreat. You don't have to kill them all, you can also scare them away by killing 3-4 dogs of the pack.
It's not the AI I'm talking about. The original had things like the Blowout, which happened at random and sent everything running for cover. The gameworld was supposed to be more dynamic - you could get sent to find a particular artefact, only to find that some other Stalker had grabbed it and you need to track them down to recover it. You start tailing him, find out he's been killed by mutants and they've made off with the artefact, then ran into a military patrol who've secured the artefact and are taking it back to base.
They seem to have switched to having mission goals and similar scripted, before the goals were assigned semi-randomly, depending on how the game developed.

Do you still need to find somewhere safe to sleep, or have they removed that too?

Archonsod said:
Raz said:
It's not the AI I'm talking about. The original had things like the Blowout, which happened at random and sent everything running for cover. The gameworld was supposed to be more dynamic - you could get sent to find a particular artefact, only to find that some other Stalker had grabbed it and you need to track them down to recover it. You start tailing him, find out he's been killed by mutants and they've made off with the artefact, then ran into a military patrol who've secured the artefact and are taking it back to base.
They seem to have switched to having mission goals and similar scripted, before the goals were assigned semi-randomly, depending on how the game developed.

Do you still need to find somewhere safe to sleep, or have they removed that too?
Ah, I see what you mean. I'd expected the same from Oblivion too. What a shame they removed all that though. Anyway, you don't need to sleep as you can't level up, but you do need to eat every once in a while. Bread is the best option in this because it's the lightest (but scarcest) of all food.

Could someone kindly enough post the system requirements? I've been looking forward to this.

Back
Top Bottom