Dragon Age III

Users who are viewing this thread

Alright, just wanted to open up a thread on this, as there have been rumors about it. Did a quick search, hope I haven't missed an existing thread.

The game was unofficially confirmed by Alistair McNally on Tweeter. He states that he is looking for artists to work on Dragon Age III.
dragon-age-3-tweet-530w.jpg

There have been some mention of the game, though they aren't totally new, I haven't seen a thread on this, so I thought Taleworlds could criticize as well. I've been a fan of the games for a long time now. Read the books, even though they weren't great, they still provided some much needed(in my opinion) background info on the game world.

There is a big report on what was said on PAX last year. I think the short version should be this.

Dragon Age 3 will feature the world of Ferelden at war between mages and templars, with the player traveling around to places as far as Orlais and Tevinter to try and calm the fighting. One of the maps shown was "four to five times larger than Ferelden.

The story of the first game's Warden "is over," apparently, and while there's still more of Hawke's story left to tell, writer David Gaider hinted that the protagonist of the third game would be yet another new hero. Co-op is possible but not likely, followers will keep their "unique" armor designs but still change visually over time, and combat will revolve around "preparation, teamwork, and positioning," with less button-smashing and more thought given to prepping your team for battle.

You can find an extensive look on the game here.

There have also been talks about DAIII being influenced by Skyrim. Source here.

And also talks about Dragon Age III being Multiplayer, with Batlefield 3's Frostbite 2 Engine. Singleplayer will be using the same Lycium engine, may be a bit refined version. But they will be seperate. Source here.

Mike Laidlaw has also said a few words on the Protagonist of the Third game. Source here. Scroll down a bit though.
Since I'm in a sharing mood, I will put this out there: our intention is that for each major release of Dragon Age, you will take up the mantle of a new character. This does not mean your old character may never appear in future games, but as far as the core protagonist goes, if there is a DA III, it will very likely be neither Hawke nor The Warden.

We want to keep the series about the time and place, rather than about any singular character. While I know not everyone prefers that approach, I believe it's perfectly valid, especially if certain plans of ours to shore up world consistency (import bugs really bother me!) come to fruition, which I believe they will.

And that's all I can say about that.

Anyways, that is all. Hope I'm not the only one excited about this. Although, a bit skeptical of the changes.

Meh. If it is a really good game that actually manages to vastly improve upon the previous DA games I'll pick it up on sale in a couple of years when the GOTY comes out,  If it isn't, nothing of value will be lost in saving my money for something worthwhile.

I did not like the way DAII changed, to be honest. And yeah, if it doesn't improve its too arcadey combat and the childish artwork and the repetitive dungeons, I will most likely not play it either. But here's hoping they actually do something good.

aguds said:
If it is something similar to Origins, I'm already drooling in anticipation.
If it is something similar to DA2, I won't touch it.
Origins wasn't perfect either. I think we're gonna see a combination of both. The Protagonist will be like DA2, I gather, though not Hawke. Dialouge system will be the same too.

Then again, I wouldn't mind more of Origins either.

I would really like them to go back to the conversation-style of Origins. I'm so sick of beeing hand-held in those, with bleeding obvious "good" and "evil" things to say. I'd rather just have a list of different things to say, and more than 2 of them. That way you actually have to think about what you say, rather than just picking the top-right option(ala Mass Effect) in every convo without even needing to look at what's going on.

Wow, they really are desperate, huh?

"Quick, what's popular?! Skyrim! And Battlefield! OMG! I HAVE AN IDEA!"

-________-

Oh ye Gods. If it is anything like DAII then, like Aguds, I won't go near it with a barge-pole. DAII was poor, really poor. Origins I loved because it was hark back to the days of Baldur's Gate games, but DAII was just... They'd better not force you into playing a set character/personality again - I almost cried when my Warden sacrificed himself on my first run through on Origins. In DAII I couldn't have given a **** what happened to Hawke on my sole playthrough.

One could say the only way for BioWare to go now is up.

One could just as easily say they've still got a lot of room to fall.

If anything they should've learned from DA 2 and gone back to Origins and NWN style of RPG.

I'll definitely get it, DA II wasn't bad at all in my opinion. And Mass Effect 3 was brilliant, just like the other 2 games in the series.
I don't like the plot of this one so far, Mages and Templars are getting old.

I don't mind the fully voiced protagonist...but GOSH more roleplaying would be nice!  And I'd love to be able to be other species...and really isn't that hard to pick 6 voice actors to play them.

I kind of like the direction they took in Dragon Age 2, where the story was about your own character not some world changing event like in most RPG's. If they manage to replicate that without making such a ****-up of it like happened with DA2, I'm sold.

Arcadius112 said:
I'll definitely get it, DA II wasn't bad at all in my opinion. And Mass Effect 3 was brilliant, just like the other 2 games in the series.
I don't like the plot of this one so far, Mages and Templars are getting old.
I'm afraid I don't understand. You meant to say that the two games you named were utter bull****, am I not right? In case I'm not, well, I won't judge you, but please shed some light on why you have these crooked opinions.

I didn't know ME3 was such "utter bull****". Care to explain why 10 minutes of the game would make the rest of the 30~ hours ****?

Heh, I liked Hawke. Just a guy trying to get by but then there's these freakin' darkspawn and crazy templars and insane mages and messed up Qunari and other people just ruining your day. Hell, 10 years of that bull**** and then you even have to GTFO Kirkwall. Playing a sarcastic Hawke, I had a "are you ****ing kidding me?" face on for half the game.

If I had to run around the world making peace just so that the crazy mages and templars would torch my barn and eat my cookies, I'd be totally cool with that. Beats the "save the cheerleader, save the world" character any bloody time.

Untitled. said:
I'm afraid I don't understand. You meant to say that the two games you named were utter bull****, am I not right? In case I'm not, well, I won't judge you, but please shed some light on why you have these crooked opinions.
DA2 had working combat, much better writing and far less clutter.
DA1 on the other hand consisted of various maps in which you had to grind random bunches of mooks until you got to the bit where someone would exposition at you frantically.

Back
Top Bottom