Official 3D art thread - Warband

Users who are viewing this thread

David Stark said:
Dawiduh said:
David Stark said:
How do I save a bump map?
I must know, as I need to start texturing already and I have no idea how.  :oops:

It depends what program you use to make the texture. Gimp I heard it has it automatically, while Photoshop needs a plugin from nVidia (that works very nice and it's free and will also allow you to save in DDS format). Or you could try CrazyBump (should be fairly easy to google).
I meant, I need to save my model in .bmp
But I don't know how.
So..
Yeah.

Ok, you lost me. So you're telling me you've got the GIMP or Photoshop open and the normal/bump map done but you don't know how to save it?

In absence of better programs and, well, experience, my workflow is this: model the thing in whatever 3d modelling programs I know (Rhino, AutoCAD, 3D Max); export OBJ; import it in 3D Max; UVW unwrap it there; export rendered UVW map (better to TGA or something with background transparency); save and export as OBJ the UVW'd model; open the UVW blank map in my graphic program (Gimp, PS) and manually apply the textures I want (it's a b*tch, I know, and i haven't been able to do it better than this); once the diffuse map is done make your normal and specular maps; export to DDS; load everything up in openBRF.

This should get you started for simple objects like shields, simple swords, even some simple helmets. More than that I don't know because I also lack the experience of "rendering to texture" WITHOUT THE DAMN SHADOWS (and without screwing up the UVW on the model) from 3d Max. You could try Sculptrix for modelling and texturing, but it has quite a weird way of texturing the model. I must look more into that.

_666_ said:
We should make a game out of this, someone provides bad screenshots of rashly done low-poly models with nefariously gruesome textures, and everyone else has to guess what it may or may not depict..
I'm in. (though when I can't identify something, it reminds me a ****, a ***** or something like that)

Dawiduh said:
It depends what program you use to make the texture. Gimp I heard it has it automatically, while Photoshop needs a plugin from nVidia (that works very nice and it's free and will also allow you to save in DDS format). Or you could try CrazyBump (should be fairly easy to google).
Sorry to hook into that conversation - first: Gimp doesn't have it automatically. You also need to download a plug in.
A problem i am facing with Gimp though, when I tried to use DDS files I exported from Gimp into OpenBRF: OpenBRF doesn't show any texture then. It only works for me when I use files I converted with DXTBmp. Are there some special settings for the DDS I have to make in Gimp, I missed?
And a second question (sorry if it is dumb), if I may be so bold: Is it absolutely necessary to have an Alpha channel in the diffuse, working in OpenBRF, when I use a seperate spec map? Or is that even wrong?

If I'm not wrong, OpenBRF will only work with DXT1 for normal map and DXT3(or more?) for texture. As for texture not working, I had that problem too. I just don't remember what was the solution. BTW what's wrong? Is it the showing checkbord pattern?(If yes, you can click settings, there will be an option "why the checkboard pattern").

But GIMP DDS plugin works for me(though I have to use 32x version)

Alphas are optional... sometimes you can use a specular map entry or a bump map entry for an alpha... but I never used that (in openBRF I mean). Also be sure your openBRF is set for your Warband folder and your specific mod as well as all the textures being put in the right folder: Mount&Blade Warband\Modules\YOURMOD\Textures. Also your BRF must be loaded in your mod's module.ini

Also in openBRF remember to import both the texture and the material.

If some textures don't show check if the alpha channel is all black or all purple. If it's black then your texture is 100% transparent so you'd better go back to PS or Gimp and work on the visibility.

Docm30 said:
A texture will also show black in OpenBRF if you saved the normal map with an alpha channel, which you should never do, unless you have custom shaders that use the alpha channel of the normal map.

Two years of learning  modding and now finally somebody is telling me this xD

I got a problem, I already have like a UV Example (.bmp) that I did save, but it's ain't with the model I made.
How do I save the UV Map of the model so I could texture it?
Using Wings 3d.
Sorry for all the stupid questions.

EDIT:

That's what I saved.

314xz06.jpg

David Stark said:
I got a problem, I already have like a UV Example (.bmp) that I did save, but it's ain't with the model I made.
Using Wings 3d.

EDIT:

That's what I saved.

314xz06.jpg

Go to uv mapping as you normally would, right click model then click on uv mapping. Then when your uv map window opens up right click on it and select create texture, then choose what you want shown normally I only have background and edges, and then click on ok. This will then create your texture in the outliner window, right click on it, then select export and then choose where you want to save it.

La Grandmaster said:
David Stark said:
Using Wings 3d.

EDIT:

That's what I saved.

314xz06.jpg

Go to uv mapping as you normally would, right click model then click on uv mapping. Then when your uv map window opens up right click on it and select create texture, then choose what you want shown normally I only have background and edges, and then click on ok. This will then create your texture in the outliner window, right click on it, then select export and then choose where you want to save it.
Finally!
Thanks so so much.

@Adorno, Leifdin, Dawiduh, Docm30:
Really thank you very much for your replies guys! That's helping me a lot - (I hope). I already managed to import all textures in OpenBRF before my question (and it looked good) - but was facing some strange effects in game - so I asked. With your hints I hope to fix those problems.  :neutral:

Dxt1 = for the difuses: stone wall, tables, chests...and simple normal maps & specular maps + mip map (no alpha/transparency it's just for the branch of tree or something like this).

DXT3 = is for a special effect for exemple like with the polished landscape trees + mip map
with this specific texture
G50t-.jpg

DXT5 = for a transparency leveling, or for other effect like the green normal map + mip map
exemple of transparency leveling = a window
QvmRd.jpg

The alpha chanel = appear when you create a texture with transparency (exemple for a branch of tree) for DXT1,3 or 5 that's all!
try with gimp:
new pic (you have the rgb chanels) and a new pic with transparency (rgb + alpha chanel).

for a 1024X1024 p texture:
dxt1 = 683 kb
dxt3 = 1365 kb
dxt5 = 1365 kb

important for the video memory!

:grin:

quapitty said:
@Adorno, Leifdin, Dawiduh, Docm30:
Really thank you very much for your replies guys! That's helping me a lot - (I hope). I already managed to import all textures in OpenBRF before my question (and it looked good) - but was facing some strange effects in game - so I asked. With your hints I hope to fix those problems.  :neutral:

wath is your strange effects ? artifacts on a textures with bump+specular ? or other

just in case: it is your problem ?
cRTCo.jpg

Go to your "mat" and at "flag"/alpha test/choose 136/256
:mrgreen:

take a look at/ commonRes/matrial/trees ,and report the settings at your material.

Thanks a lot! I'll play around. I just had way too shiny effects (almost like a mirror) or just the opposite - very flat. Seems to me, that texturing is really the hardest part - especially that it looks good in game. If it is bad, it really looks like crap.  :wink:

Look for the same material and settings ! ex: you made a branch of tree = look for "trees" material, a new wall = "stucco_2", weapon with bump+ specular  it's "weapons3"...

you can't miss a texture, make better material settings with open Brf :wink:

the settings is:

shader (type)
diffuse a
bump
(enviro)
(specular)
spec rgb
coeff
flags

and of course importe the texture.
The best work for this:

place your model in a brf
the textures in textures folder
openBrf : import/new material (aslo add new texture) browse/find your texture...report the settings from a same material (trees, wall...)

I just had way too shiny effects
)
When I started, I had my helmets way too shiny. Then I discovered the secret of Normal maps and problem solved itself when I added a normal map to the texture(BTW anyone knows why?)

You need to set a correct shader as well. But this should be probably answered by someone more experienced.

How do i create a normal map with Gimp? Also are their any particular settings that need to be used for m&b warband?
Same goes for spec maps and bump maps :smile:

Or links to tutorials would be good :smile:

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom