Users who are viewing this thread

Dark_Souls_Cover_Art.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ndpec5VxJbY​

A combat system that takes skill and doesn't rely on chance
Brutal difficulty, but fair
Unique dark fantasy setting
- Lots of great characters and locations
- Detailed backstory, but you have to look for it
Co-op (you can invite other players to join your world)
PvP (you can invade other players)
"Clans" (you can join ingame groups that have different benefits)
- Different alignement clans (neutral good, lawful evil etc)
- Join a Lawful good guild for example and you get a list of criminal players (playerkillers, trespassers etc) , and you hunt them down. It's different for every clan.
Class based, but it only affects starting gear and starting attributes
Insane replay value
- Many different classes and playstyles
- Your choices matter, and can seldom be reversed.
- Multiplayer
- When you complete it, you start over with the same gear and stats at a higher difficulty rating

Well we got it to PC, but it turned out to be a straight console port. In fact I don't believe there's ever been a more straight port ever in the history of the universe. It works fine if you don't mind playing with a controller and such (*puke*), but for the rest of us it's a mess.
But fear naught, certain members of the PC master race has fixed most, if not all of these issues already:

Mods said:
>Resolution cap remover:<
The game was initially locked at 720 resolution. This mod removes the resolution cap, and adds bunch of other things graphics related. Read up on it yourself.
This one is ESSENTIAL for anyone playing on PC.

>Mouse fix:<
The problem with the mouse initially was the fact that the lock on was super sensitive so if you fought more than 1 enemy at the time the mouse would swap targets with every minuscule mouse movement. This mod fixe that problem and make the camera movements smoother, allows for fourth and fifth mouse button to be used, and makes the mouse buttons configurable.
Comes with a GUI located in the DS Data folder.
Requires the Resolution fix posted above and is essential if you plan on using a mouse.

>DSCfix:<
Long story short: Fixes co-op so that it actually works.
Essential if you plan to engage in jolly cooperation.

There are plenty more mods, fixes and tweaks posted over at the Steam forum and over at the Dark Souls Nexus.

Scully said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ndpec5VxJbY

Among the very few console games worth buying, and I'm actually buying a 360 just to play it. I would get a PS3 so I could play Heavy Rain as well, but 360 is dirt cheap nowadays, and PS3 isn't.

Anyone else playing or planning on getting it?

UPDATE!
Get it to PC - Sign petition:

http://petitionbureau.org/DarkSoulsForPC

There is always possibilities to have games adapted on PC and the good news is that Dark Souls is not a 100% typical Console game so the adaptation is possible.
Now to make things happen, let's say the demand has to be properly done. someone to make a successful petition?
- shoupinou (one of the devs)

This is why you want this game on PC:
Co-op (you can invite other players to join your world)
PvP (you can invade other players)
"Clans" (you can join ingame groups that have different benefits
- Different alignement clans (neutral good, lawful evil etc)
- Join a Lawful good guild and you get a list of criminals (players who've done something against their own clan), and you hunt them down. It's different for every clan.
A combat system that takes skill and doesn't rely on chance
Class based, but it only affects starting gear and starting attributes
Insane replay value
- Many different classes and playstyles
- Your choices matter, and can seldom be reversed.
- Multiplayer
- When you complete it, you start over with the same gear (and stats?) at a higher difficulty rating

And much more. SPREAD DA WORD.

Saw TotalBiscuit's bit on it and I'm intrigued by the MP system they use and the apparent level of difficulty, but I'm not getting a console for this.
Well and games like this aren't really that interesting to me that I'd get them anyhow, regardless of platform.

But a friend of mine is probably going to get it, at least I think so, and then I'm definitely going to try it.

This one is more open world than Demon's Souls. And when you complete it, you start over with all your stuff at a higher difficulty like in Diablo. Combined with PvP and co-op multiplayer, it has a high replay value.

Xbox live gold membership is dirt cheap anyway, if the price is why you are buying it in the first place, why would you buy PS3 because the multiplayer is free? The 360 will still be A LOT cheaper.

Besides, many MP games on the 360 doesn't actually need a gold membership, with the way multiplayer is integrated into the single player in dark souls, I am pretty sure it doesn't need one.
It's usally just games with a big stand-alone multiplayer like the call of duty and halo games.

Graylord said:
Xbox live gold membership is dirt cheap anyway, if the price is why you are buying it in the first place, why would you buy PS3 because the multiplayer is free? The 360 will still be A LOT cheaper.

I don't understand your reasoning here...

Gold Membership is what, £40 a year? How many years do you get before the Xbox price overcomes the inital PS3 price?

Just grabbed this game a week ago for 360 and am pretty addicted. It has a nice feel to the combat, a good 'weight' behind it. I  enjoy the various little tricks for beating bosses if direct confrontation is too hard you can pull off using the landscape, and the feeling of slowly learning and understanding the game is pretty good. Once you put in those painful deaths to understand attack animations it sticks with you and its suddenly much, much easier to deal with a boss that seemed impossible at first.

The multiplayer is pretty cool. I wanted to play the first game because of this, but didn't own a ps3. I have had some trouble getting summoned in for co op, I think I over leveled myself for the area I'm in so there aren't any people coming by to hit my summon sign.

I tried to do forest covenant pvp for a bit but I think it bugged out and the forest guys attacked me right after I joined and I got kicked out, and I'm not going to save 100k+ souls to cleanse my sins or whatever its going to take.

But, I did turn human and step into the forest to get invaded, and man, that was fun as hell. I'm pretty much dead certain I'm going to go join one of the pvp covenants when I get far enough to find them (am at sen's fortress right now).

It's interesting to see this kind of melee(ish) action and compare to m&b. First off the lag is atrocious, and unfortunately it seems like you have no control over it. You have to basically react to things before they happen rather than at the pace you would in SP.  I'm also not quite sure how to break through people's defenses. 

The one guy I fought a bunch of times, well first I pyroed him to death but he came back with fire protection, so I tried to go at him with the drake sword, but that wasn't cutting it for damage, so got out a big 2 hander (ziewan..blah) and sort of hammered at him back and forth.  It was sort of a long process honestly, I didn't quite know how to get behind him, and repeatedly hammering him with swings didnt seem to break his stamina enough to matter.

I did get a nice sequence in via a kick followed by a few swings, but its hard to land those as (with that guy anyway) the lag was pretty intense.

Finally though a second guy jumped in and they worked around for a huge backstab on me. It's interesting though that fighting 2 on 1 on this game felt similar to doing the same in m&b. Only people are much more aggressive about getting behind you for the backstab. Though the same sort of concepts seemed to work, drive at one guy, suddenly reverse and slam into the one coming up behind for a hit, though again, dark souls lets people keep their shield up with full mobility so the surprise hits don't have the impact they would in warband.

Overall this game is pretty sweet, was wondering if anybody had dove into the pvp part of it too much and sort of had a feel for how it works. It's pretty interesting, and I think for the most part it is not too dependent on equipment after a certain threshold.

I got the game two weeks ago for PS3, and it's ridiculously fun. Mind you, you want to read up loads before starting to play, or you're going to miss loads of stuff.

Scully said:
I almost bought that 360. But  then I didn't. Hopefully they'll port it to PC at some point, but it's doubtful.

You should buy it. This game, like no other in recent memory, has sucked me in. There are times when dying a dozen times on the same enemy seems pointless and frustrating, but the sense of accomplishment you feel after killing that boss or that brand new difficult enemy is unlike anything I've ever felt from a video game. They can introduce a new enemy in each location and you're first time fighting that new and intimidating foe will likely result in your death, but the experience of death teaches you how to combat these newer and more difficult enemies, whether its through combat or magic or stealth or traps. I also enjoy the relentlessness of enemies and their ability to gang up and overwhelm even the strongest of warriors. Finally, I appreciate how the game presents intimidating bosses. You never want to fight them head on (because you know you will die), but against your better instincts, the best strategy is to go in, sword drawn, blocking their attacks, running and dodging under their legs, etc etc. It makes for a very exciting experience, especially after you start leveling up and defining your character.

My soul...is so dark.

Reapy said:
(am at sen's fortress right now).

Oh God, I would pity you because Sen's Fortress took me forever, but then I remember that the next section is even harder!

Agree, this game is pretty sweet. From what I read I think demon souls would have made me quit citing not enough time to master every boss animation, but dark souls strikes a nice balance. I find bosses a tad easier now just understanding the game in general and how to manage stamina and escape via rolls/blocking.

Also the pyro hand I have up to like +14 right now + great combustion is insanely helpful. I read that if you keep getting into new game+++'s that pyro's lack of scaling can't keep up, but I don't plan to do that so all is well here :smile:

I managed to get through sen's last night, though it was my second night in it, I kept falling off platforms and other things, but once I got the hang of it, it wasn't too bad. I missed a few things (read some faqs post mortum) so will hop back to get it, but last night made my way through the painted world (left boss alive though) and stopped after that.

I think the dying a lot thing is over hyped. You die a lot, but it costs you nothing. Bonfires are usually set reasonably close to major bosses, and the whole world in general has strong connectivity, so you never really find yourself too often in a place you can never get back to. If you have a mega ton of souls on you, as long as you don't start boss fights, generally you can run away back to somewhere you can get to and let the enemy kill you to recover.

The game is pretty fair, and dieing is expected, but usually not costly. Those catastrophic failures usually happen after a long night when you should have shut the game off well before you rolled off a cliff twice in a row.

Overall great game, it is basically like a slow paced console beat em up game (devil may cry/god of war etc), that is heavily skewed towards slower RPG style playing, but ultimately still is action oriented. Basically you can overcome challenges with pure reflex, or clever use of weapons, items, and/or terrain. And honestly the unique take on multiplayer should be experienced by any gamer.

It cannot possible be more infuriating than super meat boy. Yesterday I died 339 times on a single stage, and the punchline... I didn't even finish it. Oops, derailing my own thread.

They are closing down some of the bugs/exploits which could make life easier for a new player :smile: But honestly I really should just get into PVP more because I keep reading how someone invaded a game and a guy ran off a cliff and they ended up with 700,000 souls from it (cause the guy infinite soul glitched or  save edited himself to max level).

That's sort of a jackpot to max out everything that doesn't need farmed mats. Again I'm feeling like the mid game here is a lot easier, but it is a product of me grinding out a few levels and upping my gear in addition to just being better at the game in general. I might just be over leveled for where I am though and I'm sure I'll probably catch up to the difficulty curve soon enough :smile:

I'll probably buy it once it's cheaper, which will be soon since not allot of people here like RPG games.

Back
Top Bottom