MP Modern [WB] Watch on the Rhine(Word War II)

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
battleofthebulge.jpg

I noticed several WWII mods but none that focused on the American-German conflict. So I got the idea to make a mod about it. What better battle to do than the Battle of the Bulge?  The bloodiest battle involving the Americans in WWII as well as Hitler's last chance to turn the war around.

Welcome to the Ardennes Offensive, code name: Operation Watch on the Rhine.

Also, this is the first mod I started so please be patient with me. Even if this fails, I hope I will gain experience to help me along with future projects. I've worked on plenty of other mods over the course of several months. Although I can't promise a release, I will try my best(yes I know, everybody has heard that before) to get this done.

Features

Note that it is possible that not all of the things in this list(includes their spoilers) will be added and that most of these features will not be present in the first release.

-New weapons
Goals for weapons.
-Implementing most of the weapons used in the battle
-Making models and textures with quality but not so high quality that the mod doesn't run well
-Weapon statistics that will be made with both historical accuracy and game balance in mind
-Including a wide variety of combat knives
-Grenades with fuses to keep them from being overpowered
-Autofire implemented to sub-machine guns and machine guns
-New Animations
Goals for animations
-Proper reloading animations
-Better idle animations, death animations, shooting animations, and melee animations
-Crouching(hopefully crouch walking)
-New Maps
Goals for maps
-Both historically accurate maps and fictional maps
-New scene props including enterable buildings
-A wide variety of maps(forests, urban, etc.)
-New Uniforms
Goals for uniforms
-Provide a wide variety of uniforms so you don't have the typical army of clones.
-Realistic looking uniforms with high quality but still keeping engine limitations in mind
-New Classes
Classes will likely be based off of the Day of Defeat classes with some minor differences. Classes:Rifleman(Rifle), Assault(SMG+Grenades), Support(LMG/Assault Rifle), and Machine gunner(Heavy MG). Anti-tank and sniper classes might be added. Pre-defined classes would be great though we still need to figure out how to do so.
New Sounds
Goals for sounds
-Replace native music with either fitting music or battlefield ambience
-Find appropriate gun sounds for each weapon
-More sounds of suffer and sounds of death
-Variety of talk lines players can choose from and which nearby players will hear
-More will be added as we progress

Team
We're on the lookout for anyone willing to help. Specifically texturers and coders at the moment.

-Rigadoon:Leader|Modeler|Texturer
-Joseph:Modeler|Texturer|Coder
-Antifiriz:Modeler|Texturer (Scene Props)

Polls
Polls will be used to help determine things that the dev team can't figure out on their own. Read the information before polling and on top of polling it would be nice if you leave your own thoughts on the poll in the thread. They will be open for five days each and you'll have the option to change your vote, in case
you saw someone else's words on the subject and changed your mind. Poll results are not always final decision makers but they certainly have a large effect.

Current
None

Old
Bayonet/Knife Blocking
Should hand held bayonets and combat knives be able to block?. The M1 bayonet's blade was 10 inches
compared to the Karabiner 98k bayonet's 9 3/4. Combat knives are a bit shorter around 6-8 inches long. My guess is that knife fighting would involve darting in and out moving back and forth because their short length makes it hard to parry. But I have no historical sources on the subject. In my opinion, no blocking
would be the more accurate option and would make for some interesting fighting. With blocking I believe combat will look strange since the combat system of M&B was made for the longer weapons of the medieval period. What are your opinions on the subject?

Should hand held bayonets and combat knives be able to block? Read 'Current Poll' in OP before voting please
Yes 16 (47.1%)
No 18 (52.9%)
Total Members Voted: 34
Voting closed: July 30, 2011, 10:02:47 AM

WIP Screenshots

Helmets
Stalhelm
stalhelm2.jpg

M1 Helmet(Joseph)
2011-07-20_2305.png

M1 Helmet with 506th Regiment marking(Joseph)
2011-07-25_1241.png

Uniforms
American Uniforms 1-6(Front)(Rigadoon)
usuniforms3.jpg

American Uniforms 1-6(Back)(Rigadoon)
usuniforms4.jpg

Guns
BAR(Rigadoon)
m1918bar.jpg

M1 Carbine(Rigadoon)
m1carbine.jpg

M1 Garand(Rigadoon)
m1garand.jpg

P38 Pistol(Rigadoon)
p38pistol.jpg

Grenades
Mk-II A1 Fragmentation Grenades(Rigadoon)
grenadef.jpg

M24 Stielhandgranate(Antifiriz)
2zns7k0.jpg

Bayonets/Knives
M1 Bayonet(Rigadoon)
m1bayonet.jpg

S84/98 III Bayonet(Rigadoon)
s8498iiibayonet.jpg

Kampfmesser 42(Rigadoon)
kampfmesser42.jpg

Scene Props
Electricity-Telegraph Pole(Antifiriz)
35ckayc.jpg

House(Outside)(Antifiriz)
5wb4w.jpg

House(Inside)(Antifiriz)
7307ea.jpg

MG-42 Ammo Box(Antifiriz)
2qm2lib.jpg

Flak Shell Box(Antifiriz)
20gjm1u.jpg

German Field Radio(Rigadoon)
germanfieldradioscreens.jpg

FAQ
Please don't hesitate to ask any questions that come to mind(intelligent ones preferably).

How can I help?
Easiest thing you can do is to support the mod by telling people about it. Always helps to have a larger player base when we release. You don't have to be part of the team to help with coding or modelling work, if you have codes or models to donate they would be very much appreciated! Of course, you can join the team. Right now our team is quite small and with more team members with us we could push this mod along much faster.

When will this be released?
We have no idea when this will be released and will not know until we are very close to release.

Will this be expanded to singleplayer?
Don't expect it to. The engine was made with medieval combat in mind. Recreating accurate modern combat in single player is impossible because of bot behavior. In the end you'll just get lines firing on each other from far away with machine guns and accurate rifles. Line battles with machine guns? No thanks. However, it is likely that players will host multiplayer campaign events similar to those in Mount&Musket and The Vast Fields of Europe.

What factions are planned?
Currently, Germany and the United States are the only factions planned. Maybe in the future the lesser belligerents will be added such as the United Kingdom.

What is Operation Watch on the Rhine?
Operation Watch on the Rhine was the code name given to the Ardennes Offensive, known to the allies as The Battle of the Bulge.
"The Battle of the Bulge, fought over the winter months of 1944 – 1945, was the last major Nazi offensive against the Allies in World War Two. The battle was a last ditch attempt by Hitler to split the Allies in two in their drive towards Germany and destroy their ability to supply themselves."
http://www.historylearningsite.co.uk/battle_of_the_bulge.htm

Why this particular battle for the mod?
The main reason for this mod is because of the lack of WWII Western Front mods, particularly on American-German conflicts. The Battle of the Bulge was the biggest battle the Americans fought in WWII. Also it was a major turning point in the war. If Hitler's operation succeeded, the Allied armies would be completely crushed and he could focus on his fight with Stalin. All German reserves were commited to the offensive, that's how important this battle was.

Will you be able to build fortifications?
Likely not. This mod goes for realism and carrying dirt walls and clusters of sandbags on you is impossible. Fortifications are typically laid down before battles not during them. So you'll find the maps to have plenty of pre-made fortifications to suit your needs.

Will there be mortars and other artillery?
We don't know at this early stage. But if artillery(excluding mortars) if implemented, it will be something that is called in by infantry. But the actual artillery guns will not be on the map. Mortars if implemented will be on the game map and will be stationary.

Will tanks be added?
Tanks will take loads of coding work so you probably won't see them until the mod has been released for a while.

Other WWII Mods
There are several other great WWII mods that you should definitely check out if you haven't already. All have certain features unique only to their mod and new items(uniforms, scene props, weapons, etc.). Excellent mods that you must try.

Festung Breslau-Festung Breslau is a multiplayer WW2 mod focusing on Estern Front, both 1939 and 1945. There are currently 4 new playable factions, 3rd Reich, Poland, Red Army, and Volkssturm.

WWII: China Battlefield-WWII: China Battlefield is a multiplayer mod(there is a singleplayer version for MB) that focuses on WWII in Asia. Includes eight playable factions.
Volkssturm

Finland At WW2-Finland At WW2 is a multiplayer mod that features the factions Finland, Russia, and Germany. It concentrates on the three Finnish wars fought in WWII, Winter War, Continuation War and Lapland War.

1945: Merdeka Atau Mati-Is about the Indonesia War of Independence against the British, Dutch, and Japanese. Unreleased.

Signatures

Made by Rigadoon

Code:
[url=http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,184510.0.html][IMG]http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/6025/sig1m.png[/IMG]

Made by Belendor
[url=http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,184510.0.html]
Code:
[url=http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,184510.0.html][IMG]http://i52.tinypic.com/5vng61.png[/IMG]

Very nice, Rigadoon. I'm surprised it took this long to get a WW2 mod set in the western front.

I really hope this mod gets released ,but im just gonna say that ,you should make classes ,like in Mount and musket or make the good weapons really expencive.

emilor said:
I really hope this mod gets released ,but im just gonna say that ,you should make classes ,like in Mount and musket or make the good weapons really expencive.

That would be great but we'll need a coder who knows how to do it.

I liked it, one of my favourite WIP mods. Good luck with it, I'll have an eye on that thread  :smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom