Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
new7banner.jpg

borderqm.jpg
bordermid.jpg
borderqm.jpg

Information

First and foremost, to attend this event, you'll need [url=http://www.teamspeak.com/?page=teamspeak3]Teamspeak 3
. The teamspeak server we will be using is ts3.1stepi.com.
If you cannot connect, then update teamspeak.
Try to show up 10 or so minutes early at the least. Once you've joined, feel free to hang out with us in the default channel or you can head down to the Vikingr channel. It's your choice.

The event will be done on a European server donated by Silentspy.
Eiríkr Rauði said:

America1PM EST
UK6PM (BST) Local Time
Europe7PM Local Time
Russia9PM Moscow Time

The server will be opened a half hour before the event, and teams will be organized five minutes before the event.

Rules

Stick with your shieldwall!! This isn't Mount Musket's napoleonic era, so we're not expecting clean formations from you, but stay with the wall. A shield wall isn't the fanciest of formations, which gives you room to dart out and pick up a javelin on the ground or to move around a bit to avoid a hit if you're on the ends.
However, once you get into a melee, don't just break - stick with your wall!! The first wall to break will usually lose.
If you break from the wall and charge without orders, you'll likely recieve a slaying from our friendly Event Admin Sven. If you just break off at the start and do your own thing, you may just skip straight to being kicked.

Listen to your commander. If you're told to edge forward, then you need to begin edging forward.

Stick to your given class. If you've been chosen for Archer, Cavalry, or Leader then you'll know. Otherwise, you will be playing infantry. The event is highly focused on infantry, so expect to be in the shieldwall.

Guidelines
These aren't enforced - you don't need to follow them, though they are recommended as best for you and your team.

Armor - There are no restrictions on armor. Get whatever you prefer/can afford.

Weaponry - Spears are an extremely powerful group weapon, and you will want the longest and most damaging one that you can afford. However, they just won't cut it up close, so take a sidearm as well - even a seax is better than nothing. Javelins are devastating against shields, and so it'd probably be a good idea to pack one of those along as well. Two-handed axes are useful, but they leave you dangerously open to enemy javelins or arrows.

Shields - One of these is an absolute must. Even if it's just the free small one. Anybody without one is going to get filled with javelins before the fighting begins.

Your position in the shieldwall - Shield walls will usually be two ranks. They might be one, they might be three, but they'll usually be two. If you have a spear, then you'll want to be in the second rank, so you can use the alternate mode to attack over the first rank. If you havn't gotten a spear, then you will want to be in the first rank, as you'll just be sitting there useless in the second rank otherwise.

Taking over leadership - If your leader dies, then he's going to cease giving commands. Somebody with a mic needs to quickly step up and take his place to continue leading if this happens.

Commands - Are mostly impromptu. Most movement will be done in a column, with the exception of the time just before the clash, where movement will be done in a line. To move in a line, there are two common commands: Edge forward and move forward slowly. When ordered to edge forward, constantly hit W. This will cause your character to move forward very slowly. When ordered to move forward slowly, then hold shift while moving. If you get behind, let go of shift to catch up to the line. Be mindful of the halt command, the sooner you react to it, the easier it will be to reorganize the wall.

Archers are to act as a skirmish unit, staying in front of the allied shield wall, taking out the enemy archers and softening up the enemy shield wall. There will be a very small contingent of them on each team.

I hope to see everybody there this saturday. Good luck!

Slytacular said:
AAAARRRGGGHHH! That same day is when I return back to vacation! Make it Tuesday, will ya'?

We have a training on Tuesday and the server will be in use, unfortunately.. I plan to make this weekly if it goes well though.

Azrooh; you must absolutely plug this hard to the MM crew.  :razz: I've set up the date on Steam for those involved in the Vikingr Group there [200 odd] and will continue to announce it on the server.

Pee ess; if I work super-well and efficiently, you may be able to host this event on a properly-functioning random map generator!  :razz:

Looks interesting. Especially how people are forced to stay and fight in the shieldwall, rather then now where you march in shieldwall and charge without formation.

Eiríkr Rauði said:
Azrooh; you must absolutely plug this hard to the MM crew.  :razz: I've set up the date on Steam for those involved in the Vikingr Group there [200 odd] and will continue to announce it on the server.

Pee ess; if I work super-well and efficiently, you may be able to host this event on a properly-functioning random map generator!  :razz:

Yep, working on it already :razz:
A proper map generator would be great!

Sir_Dara said:
I can be there, but is so necessary to have TS?

Voice communication between the leader and his men is an absolute must for any sort of formation that you intend to keep intact.

Phalanx300 said:
Looks interesting. Especially how people are forced to stay and fight in the shieldwall, rather then now where you march in shieldwall and charge without formation.

Yup, it is quite fun. It should be epic if we get a decent number of people.

Úlfvaldr said:
Dear  Azrooh, Good idea, thank you!

BUT:
"Oh, what a pity that it's too late for us (clan "Vikingar ok Nordmenn") on time (Moscow time, for example) =((
who of us can (if?!), he will come"

How late is the event for you? I'm trying to tailor the event so both NA and EU players can show up. Any earlier and we start locking out the NA players (me!) - though the server is Norwegian, so no worries about that :wink:

In other news, I've added a poll. We won't be doing a historical battle for the first time, but I plan to work those in there. Choose for the two factions you want to see fight against each other - the 2 with the most votes will be used.

E: An important note: You do not need a mic to use teamspeak!! You just need to be able to hear your commander.

Azrooh said:
Úlfvaldr said:

BUT:
"Oh, what a pity that it's too late for us (clan "Vikingar ok Nordmenn") on time (Moscow time, for example) =((

How late is the event for you? I'm trying to tailor the event so both NA and EU players can show up. Any earlier and we start locking out the NA players (me!) - though the server is Norwegian, so no worries about that :wink:
9pm GMT = In our time it is 1:00 at night time!  (UTC+4) http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/time-zone/russia/moscow/time/index.htm
Could you start at least two hours ago?

Azrooh makes the 1stEPI proud.

(and he makes me do all our work while he's off planning events like this :razz:)

I'll try to be there. I can make no promises though.

Úlfvaldr said:
Azrooh said:
Úlfvaldr said:

BUT:

9pm GMT = In our time it is 1:00 at night time!  (UTC+4) http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/time-zone/russia/moscow/time/index.htm
Could you start at least two hours ago?

Hmm... Maybe some of your night owls could attend? I may experiment with different times in the future, but I think I'll keep this one at the current time.

Kegger said:
Azrooh makes the 1stEPI proud.

(and he makes me do all our work while he's off planning events like this :razz:)

I'll try to be there. I can make no promises though.

:lol:

This will indeed be intriguing to test, ofcourse ill be there!

Will be interesting to see if two-handed axemen will have a part to play in shieldwalls...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom