The Statue - competition

Users who are viewing this thread

NOVICIUS

Master Knight
Unfortunatly I have no idea (still) how create brf image which could be add to the mod.

There is no any statue figure in native as well as in the mod. I fought I can encourage this who are skillfull enought to create one or two. With some good work put in this project we may find Vornne willing to accept it and added.

Personally I would like to have some Dragon_statue, Lion_statue and Worrior_statue plus maybe Horseman_statue.

I will not like however limit your invention as well as suggest anything. Open your mind and deliver please. If you can not do it yourself maybe just post your ideas of statue you would like to see.

For sake of our beatifull PW towns..Off you go :grin:

I'll give some guidance as to what would be more likely to be accepted, in case anyone is thinking of having a go: obviously try to limit the amount of faces in the mesh by using textures for the details; but always try to use native ones if at all possible rather than making your own - every new texture adds significantly to the download size (which should be kept low, at least for this stage), makes the game loading time longer, and requires more memory, which are things to avoid particularly in a mod like PW. So rather than making a single custom texture for your new model, you should "multimesh" (split it up into different parts, like most warband models) with most parts using different basic textures from native, with maybe one or two new sheets for special parts. The new warband scene prop meshes (like arabian and viking) should be reasonable guides for how many faces is acceptable, if you are unsure.

If artists want to propose other types of scene props for PW, feel free; but to be accepted it should fit within the historical setting of the mod (the same as native warband) and with the existing graphical style, ideally serve some useful purpose, and as stated before, require as few new textures as possible. The way I harp on textures may seem silly, but I don't want to end up with another 300MB - 2GB mod (which is almost entirely due to new texture and sound files).

I would simply set a strict limit at 100MB and leave it at that TBH, it allows for some creativity while not breaching your requirement for the size. New models would very greatly increase the flavor of the maps, as it seems most custom maps are pretty darn empty.

Splintert said:
Is it too much for the download rate, or the upload limit that every PW modder seems to have? :wink:
I do have a capped internet connection (like everyone in NZ and probably AUS as well) which means that the uploads should be small so I can make new releases without bother, but I think that generally modders have a tendency to be wasteful of things like resource sizes, and then can't understand what happened when it bites them later on... and being a MP mod with everything in one scene means that all the resources are going to be loaded at once, which is very different to the huge SP mods - a lot of them won't even start unless you select "load textures on demand", which is useless for PW.

This mod is not about looking at the eye candy by yourself with your huge beast of a computer, going for coffee while the game loads and restarting from a save when it crashes; rather it is most enjoyable with a lot of different people and a reasonably long and unbroken play time in huge scenes, so the requirements should be kept low. In addition, there are hard coded limits on the amount of item or scene prop kinds usable in MP, and I don't want to get near those limits early on and then have to deal with the drama when somebody's favourite little thing was removed to make room for something more important...

But don't get the impression that nothing much can be added - just that what is added will be carefully decided upon.

Well, I've never experienced any crashes on PW, nor heard of any related to full memory. I also have not experienced any crashed related to running out of memory... ever. Even on an old, crappy desktop. Are you sure it's not a baseless fear? I mean, modern computers have quite a bit of RAM and even the lowest video cards have good amounts of video RAM.

Splintert said:
Well, I've never experienced any crashes on PW, nor heard of any related to full memory.
Of course not, as PW has only 20MB of new textures, and has never had much more; I was speaking of mods with hundreds of megabytes in new textures, of which I have experienced crashing and running out of memory. Based on the amount of screenshots in DirectX7 mode and other feedback, I'd say that most PW players don't have new video cards with lots of memory; the mod is not based on a graphical enhancement pack or new art style, but rather scripting and game mode changes for as many players at once as possible.

I'm comparing to mods with high texture amounts etc.

But anyways, question, does the game use up system resources (other than RAM space) to not render unused textures? Like it loads them into RAM but they are never used?

Splintert said:
But anyways, question, does the game use up system resources (other than RAM space) to not render unused textures? Like it loads them into RAM but they are never used?
It probably depends on the "load textures on demand" setting, but unused textures might not be loaded into video memory. In any case, PW would be unlikely to have any unused textures.

While making my "supermarket" I have notice there is plenty of double or very similar PW props. I think you said there is no way to remove things from mod, but maybe in some stage would be worth to do it again without not used staff.

I am not pretending that I know what I am talking about. It is more like common sense I use.

I am pretty sure that statue of some sort would be extremely usefull in mapmaking as well as RP things. If possible to add just componets: human head/body/arms/hand/leg with blank/stone like texture it would do the job.
(it would also make possible to create scene of horror :twisted:)

Thinking about the future it would probably be a better solution rather than adding one or two statue of which everybody would be soon bored.

Which way would work better for you Vornne?

I don't think there are any identical scene props (though there was one in an earlier version), and as for similar ones it depends on how you measure it; it's unlikely that any will be removed, because it might mess up existing scenes, and they are either native or ones I added with uniqueness in mind. There is no need to get worried about it yet - the hard coded limits were only a reason for not adding random junk "just in case".

I think complete statues is probably the better idea (though maybe sharing a pedestal mesh or two in common, if wanted) to reduce scene prop count, since it seems that parts would mostly be used in about the same configuration to look decent.

lamellar vest
lamellar vest khergit

indentical

arming sword and arming sword..very similar
few leather boots and other staff I do not remember

btw.one thing is swap over it seams:

mb54.jpg

mb55.jpg

"leather" one looks much more..solid.

NOVICIUS said:
lamellar vest
lamellar vest khergit
Not identical: one is heraldic, one isn't.
NOVICIUS said:
arming sword and arming sword..very similar
few leather boots and other staff I do not remember
Different models and stats; native has at least 4 arming swords rather than 2, and I've kept a bit of variety for the basic swords. Item names in general are not very unique, but the stats and meshes used should be.
NOVICIUS said:
one thing is swap over it seams:
Those are unmodified native items.

Back
Top Bottom