Making new map themed off what the community wants!

Users who are viewing this thread

DrDeath518

Sergeant
Hey PW! I want to make a new map and this time, I want to get an idea of what you guys are looking for. Please leave your ideas on ... Theme(snow, desert, forest, etc), places, terrain, and whatever else you can think of ! Please Note that I can only make what is available for scene props.

No symmetry.
Low-tier weapons/armor available to commoners with high tier weapons/armour available to factions.
No drastic climate change (snow-grassland)
Less than like 8 mines..
Maintain the high earning ratio for ores/wood.

Not sure on themes... I like sandy deserts
But in general I'd like to see a big town, big enough for all the commoners... the towns we have now is a bit too small to hang around in
And try to keep the water/land balanced like it is now, so we have water for sea battles and fields for land battles

make all the castles very equal (their defences and the stuff in the armory both very important) make the iron ore at castles 1750 and like 1040 or whatever it is at the town/towns make a mine at every castle like u usually do people love that, id like to see one big commoner town in the middle with everything(arena,armory,classes a tavern......) and all the castles around it. keep the sand wood stone and snow castles it makes it very easy to navigate and makes a cool rp element. i like flat maps thats just me idk what everyone else likes but above all make it a balanced map THX DEATH

Make it polished.
Don't mess the textures (example: western and arabian).
Don't enlarge the objects, keep them original. Otherwise it will look bad.
Use the ground texture paint wisely (path texture for roads).
Keep a balance between performance and eye-candy.
Don't make open markets everywhere. They should normally stay inside (clothes mostly).
Factionize the items.

actualy its nice you making a new one, no offense, but im tired playng only that map, but as long as you making a new map, put other, we have a lot of maps, see?, every reset you give put a new map :smile:
And plz
Swadian Man at Arms said:
Factionize the items.

DrDeath518 said:
What do you guys think about 3 castles instead of 4?(factions)

not sure.. the problem i forsee with this is what if 2 factions make an alliance and gangup on the 1 remaining faction? could happen a lot

edit~

but the plus side i guess is the fact that it would perhaps increase how many people are in factions instead of being dispersed.

I already stated this in another thread, but this more appropriate. Map should not be of a symmetrical design. This is not an RTS, all things need not be equal. The greatest map ever made for PW, VoS, was not symmetrical. A much more naturalistic design, based on realistic or historical areas. Castles should be smaller, factions aren't ever large enough to properly and fully man the current ones. Castle's should not be as easily defended as they are now, at least not all of them.

Map should have more stuff in it, like lots of interesting little things around the place, ie houses that people can go into, taverns for weary travellers to stop by in and the like. A well developed city (As the central location of the map) is always nice. This could also fit into the three factions idea, with one of the factions operating in the city as a faction without a castle (Or the ability to capture castles) that could operate as a Town Watch/ Merchant guild or something else RP heavy.

I would suggest against just picking one "theme", like snow or desert. While agree that the stark and sudden changes from grasslands to snow areas should be done away with, variety is still nice and I think that used properly the different areas help give areas of the map their own distinct feel, ie have snowy areas high up like snowy mountain tops, maybe a desert to the far south (Or beach areas) and then mainly grasslands.

Also, mountains and water are your friends. Rivers, bogs, broken up areas and mountains all make a map seem larger than it is. Just look at Valley of Swamps, which seemed much larger than it was because of the mountains and boglands.

Finally, Its good to hear that you are listening to the community.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

This is only a rough layout, so you guys can help me work off something, let me know what you think!
btw the island to the bottom right will be a mining / working island

Expand the "main common village" into a town, or city, and give it direct access to the main sea area. Perhaps a few small villages wouldn't go amiss, like a fishing/ferry/trading village on the mainland, opposite the mining island so people can get ships from it.

Ser Orindell said:
Expand the "main common village" into a town, or city, and give it direct access to the main sea area. Perhaps a few small villages wouldn't go amiss, like a fishing/ferry/trading village on the mainland, opposite the mining island so people can get ships from it.
Its alot bigger than It appears on map but I will expand it a bit for ya, Also between the 2 land masses on the right it has a straight passage to the sea, and that little gap right above it will be the docks

The sudden elevation changes are an eyesore, just like in every game. Soften the edges of cliffs, and don't make little isolated snow-capped spires. What kind of mountain looks like that? Add some foothills around the mountain-top castle, get rid of the sheer cliffs.

The top-most "misc area" in reference to your picture should be a farming village, IMO. Wheat fields and the like. The bottom-most one should be a fishing village.

Keep top- and mid-tier weapons and armor available in castles only. Low-tier stuff should be found everywhere. The outlaw camp should also get bits and pieces of mid-tier equipment, but not a vast array.

okay i think the both misc areas should be really foresty. or atleast one with i mean alot but not tooo much make it look like a forest. and include throwing weapons. and maybe more horses but have like the lame saddles and stuff so they cost less

Back
Top Bottom