Shores of Hazeron

Users who are viewing this thread

Sparkyninja

Grandmaster Knight
Shores of Hazeron is an ambitious game which aims to change the face of space-based MMOs by letting the player control a person instead of a ship, a person who can run an empire as vast as the game permits with other gamers who have the same goals and the same manpower in tow, which can lead to monstrous engagements over a single system.

/introduction inspired by the website.

(I know there is another thread about this game but the thread itself does the game no justice)

SoH is essentially in Alpha in every way however the game itself is already complex and incredibly fun, if you can bear the server lag. While the game lacks fundamental qualities of a game with balance yet, much is being done to change this as the incredibly active developers change the game when possible and even run their own empires which anyone can attempt to destroy to help with alpha-testing and to find the numerous bugs we still find. If you can put up with the movement lag due to the server taking responsibility over movement then the game is something you can enjoy.

The game isn't the prettiest as of yet however, the potential is obvious when you look at a  habitable world when sitting 50,000KM above it in a massive colonization ship, scanning the world for high quality products. That leads me on to one of the greatest features of the game, the ship designer. While it is still server side for now, it is still one of the main reasons that people stick with Hazeron, imagine building any ship you ever had a boyhood fantasy about, the Millennium Falcon, the Imperial Destroyer, the Enterprise, the Normandy, etc. While you can yet create it to the same detail you can design any ship, in any form and in any shape and size with as much firepower, armour or velocity as you can manage to produce, this has led to massive warships capable of turning player-made cities to rubble, near-the-speed-of-light corvettes capable of catching anything, penis-shaped monstrous warships making any fleet cower in fear of its 'cannon', utility ships for the new players, capable of doing most things but nothing well or ships designed just because they could.

One of the main points of Hazeron which I love to bits is the accidental, non-grind gameplay. I cannot achieve success with my civilisation unless I make homes for my workers and the factories to produce the products which run on unchangeable timers, diverting your efforts elsewhere.

One of the main reasons for me starting this topic was the fact the game universe is resetting at the beginning of the new-year and with it ship-designers will be client-side, defence bases will actually work and the playing field will be leveled once more. People from this forum have two choices should we want to start in this new universe; 1. Join the PTMC which I am a respected member of, this will allow for you new guys learning from guys who have been playing the game since it was first released and stop the drawbacks of us losing intrest or, 2. We start a TW empire which will rise to begin with then fall as we all lose intrest after 3 weeks.

Linky: Shores of Hazeron

EDIT: I ****ed up and originaly placed this in the Pioneer's forum, so hopefully I did it right this time.

THats the nice thing about hazeron. You can play it and not get bored as long as you want straight. It also works if you play 30 minutes a day.
I'm actually a veteran of Hazeron. My name on their forums is "Chiefwaffles", and my ingame name is "Galahad Cole"

Necro because this looks interesting. Downloading right now.
Anyone feel like forming up an empire?  :razz:

I was thinking of doing that, I have the knowledge on how to make a empire viable etc etc.

Or, You could join the PTMC :razz:

EDIT: Making a Empire now.

EDIT2: Server seems to be down

EDIT3: May be a prelude to an update, the devs always make unannounced updates and hopefully they will finally add warp drives.

EDITfinal: Join the CEF, you may need to type it into the empire finder to get it, Taleworlds was already taken, it was my empire until I joined the PTMC. Actually give me a few hours to set up a basic town.

I set up the CEF as a Democracy, so if I, for example are gone for a long time you guys can just vote each other to emperor

Join it now, I don't want the empire to be open for too long, that is how the griefers ruin the game, they join open empires and ruin them. type CEF into the empire finder and it should show up, be aware I havn't built ANYTHING yet, I can teach you how to build an empire then.

Good lord, I started playing and gave up - the controls are ****ing HORRID, it feels unnatural. Argh, what a shame; this game looked promising.

Ambalon said:
Good lord, I started playing and gave up - the controls are ****ing HORRID, it feels unnatural. Argh, what a shame; this game looked promising.

The server controls movement, it is stupid yes and we're calling for it to be changed but for now you just need to get used to it, spaceships move fluently but characters don't.

Also;
Sparkyninja said:
Join it now, I don't want the empire to be open for too long, that is how the griefers ruin the game, they join open empires and ruin them. type CEF into the empire finder and it should show up, be aware I havn't built ANYTHING yet, I can teach you how to build an empire then.

Sparkyninja said:
The server controls movement, it is stupid yes and we're calling for it to be changed but for now you just need to get used to it, spaceships move fluently but characters don't.
I don't care. I already uninstalled it and removed any trace of it from my computer. That's how much I hated the movement. >:U

I'm with Ambalon in this matter, it doesn't matter how good the ideas behind the game are (I really, really loved the sound of what exactly could be done in it), but if even moving your character is a challenge in itself due to whatever reason then it doesn't mean anything

Apart from the fact that it is for those without hyperspeed internet. Like myself for instance, I remember having to wait at least half a minute between pressing the key and something actually happening

K-64 said:
Apart from the fact that it is for those without hyperspeed internet. Like myself for instance, I remember having to wait at least half a minute between pressing the key and something actually happening

That is actually more due to the worker server your world is on being overworked by the developments of other players, while Lag can be bad at times right now on in my system there is little lag as the area of space my worker server is having to deal with has far less development (2 other cities from other empires in my sector atm). 2nd point, its a free game in Early Alpha, problems like this are expected.

Second point again; its a free game, the two developers do this in their free time and actualy don't accept donation for some reason. Also I checked the wiki and it appears almost every process is controlled by the server. Many of us want this to change but the lead dev doesn't see our point of view as yet. And also, movement is not needed much after the advent of spaceports and wormhole-capable starships, except when you need to plant a new city flag on a new planet.

But that's like saying that the installer doesn't need to be complete as it's only used once. Though I am curious as to what advantage that the lead developer thinks having such a prohibitive movement system is

K-64 said:
But that's like saying that the installer doesn't need to be complete as it's only used once. Though I am curious as to what advantage that the lead developer thinks having such a prohibitive movement system is
I think his reasoning is it prevents all and every form of hacking the game client-side. Many of us have been asking why he thinks having the movement overseen is a good idea but for now he does so we just have to adapt to bad lag at bad times and a mere shutter and other times.

Back
Top Bottom