theHunter [Multiplayer release June 3rd]

Users who are viewing this thread

Orion

Still Not Worthy
Global Moderator
theHunter, a very unimpressive name for perhaps the best hunting game I have ever seen, heard of, read about, or played. This game has relatively high-end graphics, free-roam gameplay, a growing variety of intelligent and well-tuned animals, and several weapons to kill them with. It also draws on real-world hunting regulations regarding ethical weapons for different species and scoring rules for game animals, with by-the-minute updates to global leaderboards & daily competitions.

You can hunt in different ways, typically by stalking your prey on the ground & following its trail or by patiently waiting in a tree stand & calling them to you. Skill, practice, and experience will help you take down your target quicker and cleaner. Well-placed shots will take down animals quickly with minimal or no tracking from where you shot them, while poor hits lead you to chase your prey for considerable distances at times.

No, I didn't copy this from their website or a review. This is my experience with the game. Did I mention it's freemium? Free players can hunt mule deer of both genders with a .243 bolt action rifle. This doesn't effect any activity of other animals, and on the same island as the muleys you'll find whitetail deer, elk, turkeys, and coyotes. There is a peninsula available to subscribers which has blacktail deer, whitetail deer, feral hogs, and pheasant. A new area (part of the mainland, attached to the available peninsula) will be opening on December 13th with elk, whitetail, turkeys, and feral hogs. Moose are expected in early 2011, with bears following after. Subscribers get access to all new areas & licenses to hunt all new animals freely.

Subscription cost is $5 per month, available in 3-month increments. Subscription gives you a 12 gauge pump action shotgun, a .357 magnum revolver, and unlimited ammunition available at the lodge for free for any weapons you own. There are two additional packages available, the "Wayfarer" and "Trailrunner."

Wayfarer is $20, gives 4 months of subscription & the same benefits as a regular membership as well as:
.44 Revolver
2x20 scope for revolvers
Camouflage hat
Camping supplies
Wind indicator
Server priority

Trailrunner is $60, gives 12 months of subscription, same regular membership bonuses, as well as:
.270 Bolt Action Rifle
.300 WinMag Bolt Action Rifle
.30-06 Lever Action Rifle
.44 Revolver
Compound Bow
3-9x40 scope for bolt action rifles
2x20 scope for revolvers
Elk bugle call
Deer grunt call
Camping supplies
Wind indicator
Full set of camouflage clothing
Server priority

Anything you don't get in the subscription can be bought with the in-game currency. This can either be purchased (comes in increments of 500 for $5/500) or earned through competitions. Players are allowed to be enrolled in 1 competition per species at any given time. For example, I am currently enrolled in a whitetail, blacktail, and elk competition, though I cannot enroll in more competitions for these until the current competitions I am in are completed. Placing 1st, 2nd, or 3rd gives rewards of in-game currency (and sometimes trophies), typically in a 100/50/25 distribution, with "elite" competitions giving 150/100/50. For perspective, the cheapest weapon you can buy is the .270 rifle at 200, with the most expensive being the .300 Winchester Magnum bolt action at 600. Some special competitions have different rewards, such as exceptionally difficult competitions giving 100/100/80.

The developers rival our own TaleWorlds crew in forum activity & community interaction, with developers posting daily in several topics. They are respectful and helpful, as is the rest of the community. I've yet to see a troll on their forums (though I don't doubt they exist). Speaking of community interaction, multiplayer is a planned feature, and the tentative date for it is about the middle of 2011. From what I've gathered, they intend to make it friends-only (so only people on your friends list can join your server) and with a relatively small player limit, probably 4 or 5. I could be wrong, as they haven't said much about it other than confirming that it's planned, but the community is asking for this.

As a side note, even if you don't want to hunt you can score some fantastic photos in-game with the digital camera.

Here are some screenshots, they aren't all mine as some were entered into a community photo contest. The community is quite active and often has contests of their own, with in-game prizes (typically subscriptions or in-game currency). If you're wondering what's wrong with the buck in the first two screenshots, it's a rare piebald muley. There are also very rare albino and melanistic animals of most species.

MUleherdwithPiebaldBuck3.jpg

PiebaldMuleBuck2.jpg

theHunter2009-09-2916-44-24-21.jpg

a427c24db5501eeceaf7dec0338bc.jpg

whitetail.png

pheasent.jpg

http://www.thehunter.com/pub/

Also worthy of note: It's <700 MB. A very small commitment for a very addicting hunting game. My nick on theHunter is MisterMac.

I play games to do things both unethical and irrational, like invading Singapore with an army of demolitionists and calling it renovation. I don't see why these developers decided to turn away from some ****ing awesome moments, like decapitating an elk with a machete and then using its severed antlers to skewer an endangered bear. Like a ****ing panda or some ****.

Still looks like a great representation of our current hunting system. Which begs the question as to why we're not actually just hunting.

Edit: One more thing, dinosaurs mod.

You can still shoot an elk with birdshot if you really want to, and it will usually die if you hit it well enough, but you won't get a score for it and you'll get angry messages from an NPC account on your profile. :roll:

Oh, and I've shot pheasant with 12 gauge slugs before. The puff of feathers and dirt is satisfying, even if I don't get a score for it.

Orion said:
You can still shoot an elk with birdshot if you really want to, and it will usually die if you hit it well enough, but you won't get a score for it and you'll get angry messages from an NPC account on your profile. :roll:

It's Putin, isn't it? Calling you out for being such a ***** and using senseless American game-changer.

Edit: and I'm just dicking around, the graphics look gorgeous and I'm planning on giving it a shot. I'm serious when I think a mod with velociraptors would be in-****ing-credible.

theHunter2010-12-0602-50-56-14.jpg
theHunter2010-12-0923-07-58-20-1.jpg

This is what happens when I decide I am sick of being 'ethical'. Meet the birdshot.

I've got an unethical kill on a feral hog, using birdshot. Riddled her with holes pretty good.

wholehog.png

Shot her as she was quartering away, facing my left. Poor pig. :lol:

Enough unethical kills should bring the park rangers after them. They should give you unethical kills, unless your character is a woman and she smothers them to death with her funbags, in which case you just get a thumbs up from Ron Pearlman.

On a fan website for the game there is an achievement called 'break doc's heart'. Doc is basically the npc game warden who says not to do unethical kills.

"From: Doc
To: nKSharp
Date: Dec 10 2010 21:09

Word is you've been taking Whitetail unethically. That's not how we do things round here.

Remember for Deer you need to use one of; a rifle, a pistol, or shotgun with buckshot or slug. If you can get your hands on buckshot, that is...

Failing that, the compound bow is an ethical choice too.

Let's not have this little chat again, okay?"

To be honest, I think this would be an ethical choice too. Deer wouldn't feel much, except perhaps severe admiration for the Soviet cause.

mi_28_4.jpg

How does it run on your computers?

I record and play on high on all settings except shadows with low AA.

http://www.youtube.com/user/nKSharp101

My comp specs are :

I7 930 @ 4 ghz (HT on)
6GB Corsair Dominator GT 7-7-7-12 (I think)
ATI 5830

There are no other hunters, because it's single player.

I remember seeing loads of these in the screenshot mega-thread and tried it out, was cool for a while till I got bored.

I used to play some Hunting Unlimited, that was fun for a bit.
This looks way more interesting.

Facemelter said:
Wait, you can ethically kill an innocent animal for fun?  :lol:

Well, guess it depends on one's own ethics.
It's certainly less unethical if you use proper ammo. Flinging bird shot at swine would pretty much torture them to death. :razz:

Elenmmare said:
Still looks like a great representation of our current hunting system. Which begs the question as to why we're not actually just hunting.

Oh yes, because it's so easy to just go hunting in southern California.

Archonsod said:
Varric said:
There are no other hunters, because it's single player.
At this point I lost interest. There should totally be long pig amongst the available game.

Orion said:
Speaking of community interaction, multiplayer is a planned feature, and the tentative date for it is about the middle of 2011. From what I've gathered, they intend to make it friends-only (so only people on your friends list can join your server) and with a relatively small player limit, probably 4 or 5. I could be wrong, as they haven't said much about it other than confirming that it's planned, but the community is asking for this.

:roll:

See sig for details.

Back
Top Bottom