SP Fantasy Warsword Conquest - New Opening Post

Users who are viewing this thread

Lilly112 said:
Birger Jarl said:
Pistoliers are amazing. I'd argue that they are one of the best Empire units. In addition to their Flintlocks, they have surprisingly sturdy armour and a hard-hitting Bastard Sword. They're better at melee than Reiksguard and KoTBS cavalry because they go derp and try to use their lances in melee combat which is utterly, utterly useless. I really wish there was a script that made lancing cavalry not try and do impotent thrust attacks for 0 damage.... Not a fault of Warsword, but M&B where Thrust attacks are just weaksauce.

But I digress...

The AI seems to do well with them, but mine just seem to charge into melee no matter what sort of command I give them. Horse Archers in general are a mystery to me...  :???:

I have only Pistoliers as the cav in my army. I love putting the cav on 'Follow me' then running around the back of the army and taking pot shots before rejoining my line when the enemy comes into range and cutting them down.

One thing I have thought of, is to take away one of Chaos' higher tier Cavalry units, and add a Bloodthirster as a upgrade from Herald of Khorne. I was playing Phantsy Caldira, and watching a Balrog make mince-meat of my army and thought 'that'd make an awesome Bloodthirster'.

It would just end up being disappointing(not living up to the lore) or ridiculously overpowered(living up to the lore).

Bloodthirsters should pretty much be able to solo entire armies in M&B and lay waste to entire Towns on his own. 

Balrogs aint got nothing on the favourite servants of Khorne!

:lol:

Articulo34 said:
Birger Jarl said:
Pistoliers are amazing. I'd argue that they are one of the best Empire units. In addition to their Flintlocks, they have surprisingly sturdy armour and a hard-hitting Bastard Sword. They're better at melee than Reiksguard and KoTBS cavalry because they go derp and try to use their lances in melee combat which is utterly, utterly useless. I really wish there was a script that made lancing cavalry not try and do impotent thrust attacks for 0 damage.... Not a fault of Warsword, but M&B where Thrust attacks are just weaksauce.

But I digress...

The AI seems to do well with them, but mine just seem to charge into melee no matter what sort of command I give them. Horse Archers in general are a mystery to me...  :???:
You could order them to "skirmish". They´ll run away if an enemy comes too close, however they won´t stop firing while they do it. They will defend themselves with their swords if retreating is not an option though.

Problem with Skirmish is that it will actually make your units rout of pressed hard enough... when they hit the edge of the map, they flee.

Khornate daemons are the least magical.

M&B doesn't do magic well, so they're the best choice IMO.

I was toying around with the idea of reskinning an ogre to be a Plaguebearer though, lol.

Birger Jarl said:

But I digress...

I've always have the cav follow me as I charge into enemy lines then turn around and head back to my infantry.  That way the enemy are broken and I unleash my infantry to finish them off.  I have them follow my so they don't sustain combat and maximize the charge bonus and actually make use if the lance.  That way my infant can will be fighting enemy with half health.  As my infantry  engage, I would charge the infantry one more time and head to the enemy archer line and slaughter the fools.  10 to 20 cavalry is enough to rout 30 to 50 range unit.  I love the MOD AI because it'll separate the units into cohesion.  I normally have my gunners take down the enemies cav and wait for the charge to finish them off.  I also have them station at the hill so to make my range more effective and enemies cav useless.

Hey Birger Jarl,
did you find a solution to the Dwarf Border Patrols you mentioned some twenty pages earlier?

I have the problem that the dwarfs will without fail decimate the whole orc faction within the first 3 months because orc lords fight and lose against 200(!) men strong border "patrols" and the dwarf lords are free to roam and take all orc property they want.

So i too am searching for a way to remove the dwarf patrols or at least severely limit them in their size. 

RazorRamon said:
Hey Birger Jarl,
did you find a solution to the Dwarf Border Patrols you mentioned some twenty pages earlier?

I have the problem that the dwarfs will without fail decimate the whole orc faction within the first 3 months because orc lords fight and lose against 200(!) men strong border "patrols" and the dwarf lords are free to roam and take all orc property they want.

So i too am searching for a way to remove the dwarf patrols or at least severely limit them in their size.

I've severely reduced the unit count of all the patrols so that they are like 15-20 units by default. Ideally I'd add patrols to the factions that lack them, but I haven't figured out how to do that, so nerfing the crap out of the existing ones (to remove the absurd advantage it gives the factions that have them) was in my mind the next best thing.

Sadly, Orcs still get decimated almost instantly. Their starting disadvantages are just too great, even with reasonable dwarven patrols. They don't have enough fiefs to recruit from; the majority of their warbosses don't actually own anything. So they'll have a ton of warbosses with teeny-tiny armies that can't withstand the onslaught of the stunties....  :roll:

Good news though: Nameless Warrior has said that the Orcs will be getting lots more fiefs when they release the next official version of the game. That ought to help the Orcs greatly.  :smile:

Aaaanyway:

Here is a .rar of all my changes
https://www.sendspace.com/file/3bnz1j

If you just want the nerfed patrols, all you need is party_templates.txt
Not sure if you have to start a new game for it to take affect though.

birger, i dont suppose its possible for one of your ai tweaks to get the lizardmen faction to buck their ideas up is there? these buggers never go anywhere! cheers

leonn said:
birger, i dont suppose its possible for one of your ai tweaks to get the lizardmen faction to buck their ideas up is there? these buggers never go anywhere! cheers

To be honest, I have no idea how the AI works, nor would I be able to tweak it even if I did understand it. I can only assume that geography is the limiting factor - Empire of Sigmar is always the faction in my games that gets the most action and I can only assume that is because of their central location on the map. But even then you have some anomalies that geography doesn't explain:

The Dark Elves will only go after the High Elves, regardless of the fact that both Chaos and Bretannia should be close enough for them to invade, too. They can (and will) declare war against them, sure, but they don't actually move against them.

AFAIK the only faction the Lizardmen will actually engage is Araby. The High Elves should be close enough, but I've never seen them move against each-other either.  :neutral:

AFAIK the only faction the Lizardmen will actually engage is Araby.
I think I've seen them defeat/get defeated by some Pirate lords once or twice. It's very rare though, and they certainly haven't ever conquered anything... or lost any territory for that matter. They will indeed fight the Dark Elves but because there's a huge empty land in both the south of the Dark Elves and the north of the Lizardmen, they fight there and never actually take any castle from each other, not sure if they even manage to raid villages. High Elves however, I've seen them take the first (southernmost) Dark Elf castle as well as one of their towns. In fact it tends to happen relatively early in the game, although they don't keep it for long.

Aye, the Dark Elves and High Elves have got a nice tug o' war going on with those two fortresses (one on the H.E side, one on the D.E side).

...until they make peace and each faction becomes passive.  :neutral:

As for the Pirate vs. Lizardmen... my guess would be that Pirate Kingdom captured some Araby fiefs which enabled the conflict, as Lizardmen can attack those regardless of owner.

In one of my games, as Chaos, we took all of the towns and castles from Bretonnia.  A little while after we did that I decided to leave Chaos and start my own faction.  Not long after I left the Lizardmen and the Dark Elves declared war on Chaos.  The Lizardmen took Brionne, and the Dark Elves took the castle on the north side of the Bretonnia land, and the large town that is north of Brionne (sorry can't remember the names right now).  Most of the lords from the Dark Elves were in the attacks on both places.  Minimum of 1500 troops.  So they will attack other factions and take land.  It does look rare but it will happen.

That's... crazy! I can't believe the Lizardmen traveled that far "inland!"  :shock:

The only time I see something "out of the ordinary" for a faction is when their one "regular enemies" gets taken over by one of their "never-fight enemies".

i.e I've had Tomb Kings declare war on the Dwarves in order to capture some ex-Gobbo fortress that they (ze dörfs) had conquered prior, but all the original Dwarf settlements/forts were too far away for the Tomb Kings to attack.

how does one make new models for settlements on the big map? im kind of tempted to have a bash at this modding thing. cheers

In my game, the Pirates have been at war with the Lizardmen for months now (without the Pirates having taken any Araby territory), but I never see any Lizard parties actually invading Pirate land; it's always Pirate lords getting beaten back in the Lizard area. The farthest that war has gone is a couple of sieges on the Liz towns/castles that border the sea passage that leads to Araby, but the Pirates keep losing those sieges probably because Lizard lords are always hanging around in their territory. I don't know what triggers the Pirate/Lizard conflict though, and it would be interesting since it appears to be common to various people's games.

Recently started playing the mod and thoroughly loving it.
However, after noticing some missing models I added the Beta bug fix from Nexus, figured it may help.
Units now have mismatched armor, wonky textures and it appears that the mismatched equipment has no bearing on their stats whatsoever (I was one-shotting everything in a tourney, and I'm lucky to instagib a basic unit with a bastard sword as is).

Is a new character necessary for the fix to take effect, or is the fix not quite a fix?
Or did I simply derp it up?
Assumed that unzipping and adding all the new files (while replacing all old ones with their newer version) was the proper use of the fix.

Back
Top Bottom