Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord Old Discussion Thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Come on TW, its time for a new blog update already, we are 8 days into the new year  :roll: Please tell us more about the Core game Meaning more about the game features, units what is different from the last Game? Yes the office space is nice, and there are a few nice beards and pretty coffee mugs but that's not why I come here  :lol: Totalwar gave us like 10 screen shots per week in interviews and updates you guys need to give us something more even if there Work in Progress along with info we need something visual to look at.  :mrgreen:

Red_Lancer said:
Come on TW, its time for a new blog update already, we are 8 days into the new year  :roll: Please tell us more about the Core game Meaning more about the game features, units what is different from the last Game? Yes the office space is nice, and there are a few nice beards and pretty coffee mugs but that's not why I come here  :lol: Totalwar gave us like 10 screen shots per week in interviews and updates you guys need to give us something more even if there Work in Progress along with info we need something visual to look at.  :mrgreen:

Nah.  That will take time away from doing the real work of getting the game ready for sale.  Just tell me when it will be ready and I will go away and not bother anyone until then.  :grin:

usnavy30 said:
JabdiMelborn said:
...M&B: Warband "Nvidia Shield" Beta version are available at CES2014 (Las Vegas 07-10/01/2014):...
https://twitter.com/stromaster/status/420642652673945600

Edit:...ah, err, and has been planned a new patch for Warband... :mrgreen:

ciauz^^,
Jab
You're joking about a new patch. You are joking right? I hope so.
...Sendar is know as a respectable dev, not a troll...oh wait...

smile_asd.gif

...anyway, he said that "it will take time to release the patch", then probably is not a 2014 stuff IMHO...

ciauz^^,
Jab

JabdiMelborn said:
usnavy30 said:
JabdiMelborn said:
...M&B: Warband "Nvidia Shield" Beta version are available at CES2014 (Las Vegas 07-10/01/2014):...
https://twitter.com/stromaster/status/420642652673945600

Edit:...ah, err, and has been planned a new patch for Warband... :mrgreen:

ciauz^^,
Jab
You're joking about a new patch. You are joking right? I hope so.
...Sendar is know as a respectable dev, not a troll...oh wait...

smile_asd.gif

...anyway, he said that "it will take time to release the patch", then probably is not a 2014 stuff IMHO...

ciauz^^,
Jab

In their language, that would be "in the coming months". :mrgreen:

Going back on the subject of sprinting, I don't really think its a good idea. It makes no sense to run faster towards an opponent unless they are running and you need to catch them. Generally I would expect sprinting to be used to escape from opponents rather than be used as a way to get to enemies faster, so may end up as a pretty frustrating mechanic.

Perhaps if it was a class based thing it might work, but even then it would likely still be used to retreat rather than charge in the majority of cases.

If it was to be implemented I would rather see skirmishers and civilians using it than some tart in plate armour; less clothing/armour, faster, more clothing/armour, slower. That kind of thing.

Neuron said:
If it was to be implemented I would rather see skirmishers and civilians using it than some tart in plate armour; less clothing/armour, faster, more clothing/armour, slower. That kind of thing.
Not 100% what a skirmisher or civilian is but ranged typically have less clothing/armour and are who people are concerned about having more tools to run away.

They seem to be most often depicted wearing roughly the same armour as their comrades. Remember that battles were very rarely fought to the last man, it was usually some small percentage killed or captured, while the defeated majority fled... often both sides fled.

I see  how it might be gratifying for some people, but I can't think of a way to implement sprinting that wouldn't result in a lot of asinine mob tactics, lowering the competetive value of the game.

Lord Rich said:
Going back on the subject of sprinting, I don't really think its a good idea. It makes no sense to run faster towards an opponent unless they are running and you need to catch them. Generally I would expect sprinting to be used to escape from opponents rather than be used as a way to get to enemies faster, so may end up as a pretty frustrating mechanic.

Perhaps if it was a class based thing it might work, but even then it would likely still be used to retreat rather than charge in the majority of cases.

I think you would charge because that means you would get faster into melee against skirmishers, and if you can shield bash then you would also be able to destroy formations. 

And the mechanism should work like this

Agility = longer running time
Weight = sorter running time (exponential) 
Strength = weight will have a lass effect 

[M] said:
Not 100% what a skirmisher or civilian is but ranged typically have less clothing/armor and are who people are concerned about having more tools to run away.
skirmisher= ranged
civilian=some one how is not a warrior and there for wont have armor but normal cloth typically

Meevar the Mighty said:
They seem to be most often depicted wearing roughly the same armor as their comrades. Remember that battles were very rarely fought to the last man, it was usually some small percentage killed or captured, while the defeated majority fled... often both sides fled.

I see  how it might be gratifying for some people, but I can't think of a way to implement sprinting that wouldn't result in a lot of asinine mob tactics, lowering the competitive value of the game.
not sure what you mean?? the first to lines i will give you right in what you are saying but can't see what it has to do with anything
the second what do you mean by "asinine mob tactics" and why would it lover the competitive value?
not saying it to be mean just trying to understand what you are saying

I think that sprinting would be good for both multiplayer and single player.
In multiplayer you could reach your enemies and teammates faster and you could use it for other things.
In Warband we can walk so why not sprint? In single player in a battle, AI would only sprint if their comander says to (we would have an option to do it) and fleeing guys could escape faster too.
Sprinting time and velocity could depend on your skills, clothing, terrain and weather (if it was raining we would move slower).

I would only agree with sprinting in multiplayer if it couldn't be used when an enemy is in a 5 meter radius around you. Basically it would only be used to get from point A to point B faster, and not in combat. But imo, I still don't like it.

I would like to see a more complex morale system in battle, with some soldiers retreat in calm and order and others droping their weapons and fleeing like cawuards, there i'd like to see the sprinting

i think that if sprinting is added, while sprinting the player should be unable to block or attack ( maybe leaving only a simple direct attack for charges and that)

what is the big problem with running? i can't really see why you would not like it, it adds

more realistic feel (because in realty you are able to run)

it make light units more effective at being light units( you can use it to out flak and run away again)

it will add special attacks like shield bash and make spear more effective(preventing the opponent to charge you)

it makes it easier for modders to make things like ninjas, monsters, magics, magic equipment, superpowers and other things were you need some one to faster then some on else.

Note this was not to say that i'm am right and you are wrong I really can't see the problems with it and only wont to know what they are so that i can address it and may bee find a why to solve that problem.

bjarked said:
what is the big problem with running? i can't really see why you would not like it, it adds

more realistic feel (because in realty you are able to run)

it make light units more effective at being light units( you can use it to out flak and run away again)

it will add special attacks like shield bash and make spear more effective(preventing the opponent to charge you)

it makes it easier for modders to make things like ninjas, monsters, magics, magic equipment, superpowers and other things were you need some one to faster then some on else.

Note this was not to say that i'm am right and you are wrong I really can't see the problems with it and only wont to know what they are so that i can address it and may bee find a why to solve that problem.

Because what works in reality often won't work in a video game and will create the opposite feeling from realism.

In case of sprinting, a good example of this is Call of Duty. Since people don't fear death as they do in real life, they are often prone to charging into combat and almost certain death which they do with sprinting. This results in something I would call unrealistic and immersion ruining since you see people running around and shooting like they're the next gen version of Rambo.

In Bannerlord, you would see the same thing but with swords, people running around and slashing and stuff.

Here's a quote from a guy called AjBlue who posted something about this in a comment section in PC Gamer.

I have a problem with sprint in games. I firmly believe that multiplayer game could benefit from the lack of sprint. Halo used to have this, rainbow6vegas1 had this. Just logistically thinking, if you are an elite fighting squad, you aren't going to be running very often if at all. You are going to have your gun up, ready to shoot someone around every corner. From a gameplay standpoint, you force teams to work together, because they can't run off. A good compliment in rainbow6vegas1 was how you could customize your armor to mobility ratio, the more armor you were, the slower you were(like a walking pace) and if you wore less-no armor, your character would move at a constant jogging pace.

I've actually grown sick of playing call of duty, I can't last 30minutes before turning the console off. You spawn immediately click, in the left thumbstick, for about 15 seconds until you see someone, you shoot them, 50-50 chance you kill them, you die at about the same rate you get kills, making respawning and running take up about 80% of the gameplay. Rinse and repeat gameplay. I prefer slower games that allow for the option of strategy, and teamwork.

Bottom line, it's an immersion breaker. And without it the game feels more tactical since you gota think where you are going because you won't have an easy escape from the situation you're going to end up in.

Running would only be OK in my opinion if it shared a stamina bar with weapon swinging so that if you ran up to an enemy to fight you would have a disadvantage. I like how in warband, people move about the same speed so you have time to look around think about what's going on without getting ninja'd by super-speed infantry.

bjarked said:
Lord Rich said:

I think you would charge because that means you would get faster into melee against skirmishers, and if you can shield bash then you would also be able to destroy formations. 

And the mechanism should work like this

Agility = longer running time
Weight = sorter running time (exponential) 
Strength = weight will have a lass effect 

While running would be nice for infantry I can't see how it would be fun for rangers. In some cases as with xbows they might only get 2 or 3 shots as it is before the inf get to them, with sprint they're kind of doomed to a melee fight no matter what they do and don't even have time to make a crossfire or their positions effective.

Also multiplayer doesn't have any formations that need shield bashing.

Another point is that it devalues cavalry, one of their best roles is to shut down rangers or catch people running away, if inf can significantly speed up then that is less relevant.

momcilo94 said:
Because what works in reality often won't work in a video game and will create the opposite feeling from realism.

In case of sprinting, a good example of this is Call of Duty. Since people don't fear death as they do in real life, they are often prone to charging into combat and almost certain death which they do with sprinting. This results in something I would call unrealistic and immersion ruining since you see people running around and shooting like they're the next gen version of Rambo.

In Bannerlord, you would see the same thing but with swords, people running around and slashing and stuff.

Here's a quote from a guy called AjBlue who posted something about this in a comment section in PC Gamer.

Bottom line, it's an immersion breaker. And without it the game feels more tactical since you gota think where you are going because you won't have an easy escape from the situation you're going to end up in.
Wile i agree with this point in the contest of games like CoD, i don't think it will be that big of a problem here. people wont run around everywhere because the amount of time in a row you would be able to run is limit-ish.  and there is not really any huge advantage in charging i guy because you will be weak against a trust attack. remember that this is a game were you need to be skill it have chance and if you run around you will just get slaughtered because the differences between a shooting game and a melee game is that running in a shooter can help you buy being harder to hit. in M&B if you are running the opponent will just block your attack and that would it.

Of course Taleworlds should test it and see if there will be any problems like this but and don't think so.

Gaunt said:
Running would only be OK in my opinion if it shared a stamina bar with weapon swinging so that if you ran up to an enemy to fight you would have a disadvantage. I like how in warband, people move about the same speed so you have time to look around think about what's going on without getting ninja'd by super-speed infantry.
I don't like the stamina bar effecting you attack because try run 60 meter and look if you are able to pick op a stick and hit something with it to test if that is harder then it was before running. because fighting is not that exacting it can be hard on your arm muscles but i don't think it will affect you stamina that mush. of course if you run several kilometers that is a other story.

Note that you should not be able to run that far at the time because it should only be use at charging, fleeing and joining your force.
MadVader said:
Don't forget running jumps too! Imagine a squad of super-jumping troops bounding over the enemy shield wall to get at the enemy archers.

I think that the enemy will just put there sword op in the air and cut your balls of, just saying.  :mrgreen:

Lord Rich said:
(1)While running would be nice for infantry I can't see how it would be fun for rangers. In some cases as with xbows they might only get 2 or 3 shots as it is before the inf get to them, with sprint they're kind of doomed to a melee fight no matter what they do and don't even have time to make a crossfire or their positions effective.

(2)Also multiplayer doesn't have any formations that need shield bashing.

(3)Another point is that it devalues cavalry, one of their best roles is to shut down rangers or catch people running away, if inf can significantly speed up then that is less relevant.

1: because it was so realities and fun in M&B1 then you had an archer/crossbow only army see huge armies get destried before they get close. and remember that an archer is lighter then an melee unit and there fore would be able to get behind your infantry before the enemy could hit them, as they did in realty.

2: i think in a 100 vs 100 match there will be some sort of formation i don't know.

3: still you are not able to run forever and i still think a horse can out run a human so that wont be a problem and again in realty you would run if some one on a horse was trying to kill you so i can't the what to problem is with it neither

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom