A revamp of melee combat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Well, the suggestions on the first page are fairly old by now.

Secondary attacks/weapon modes are in. Both in Native and in mods.

The attack speeds are better than they were, if I'm not horribly mistaken. I don't know how slow it was in 2007 but between the newest M&B and the first Warband there have been significant changes. Not so much in the attack speed department but the animations are improved which helps as well.

The "other influences on drawback time" sound nice but they're not implemented in the way described. Or at all, I don't know. It would be pretty neat to have a great hammer stuck in the place where your foe used to have his head after an overhead attack though. :lol:

The shields, blocking and parry skill suggestion also sounds nice and I don't think it's in yet. Could be neat to combine with holding shields at different angles and distances. A shield further out could be swung aside further unless you turn into the attack or something. Could be neat.

Passive defense: Not in. Do want. It's a bit silly to stand slack-jawed with weapons and shields down even for a split second. The closest implementation there is to this is that sometimes your shield automatically blocks an incoming missile if you want to throw a weapon/idle/try to attack. I'm not sure about the mechanics behind that though.

Dark Messiah of Might and Magic is kinda neat but the combat is pretty silly and very arcade-y. Adding that kind of combat doesn't really fit M&B, in my opinion. That said, the suggestion has merit and I'm fairly sure it is in. Holding a weapon ready for longer results in a more powerful hit (that everybody sees coming and is comparatively easy to block).

What this needs is for people who have actually done medieval martial arts for years to tell taleworlds how to fight. It would be nice if it was more like actual medieval fighting (realistic).

Hynroso said:
What this needs is for people who have actually done medieval martial arts for years to tell taleworlds how to fight. It would be nice if it was more like actual medieval fighting (realistic).

Far too much of RL fighting with medieval weapons is tactile for it ever to be treated completely acuratly in a game. So much is about controlling your enemy's weapon with your own and hooking their defence open.
Can you imagine the controls if you were moving your shield and your weapon seperatly to attack and defend at the same time? How would you deal with using your axe to pull an enemies shield open to let a friend stab them? Or even giving an initial tug to make them brace then thrusting the axe up and driving the top end of the cutting edge into their chest or face?

The only thing I can really see being fixes is spear thrusts (and the defence against them). And that requires diferentiaation between a parry and a block, and which area of the body a spearthrust is headed.

Back
Top Bottom