RUN!!!!!!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

I dont like the idea of it at all

Say im fighting swad crossbowman, they wear light armour, and if i wore my full black and they sprint and surround me,im pretty much screwed, even if i killed the men around me, there would still be a few of those little bastards sniping me, and when i go to kill the They sprint backawards, makin it a hit and run.

Plus stamina bars and stuff remind me of morrowind, everytime yo got hit you lost fatigue, which was the stamina.

Erid-Way said:
Do you really think jogging backwards swinging constantly, indefinitely. until you manage to take down your enemies is cool?

Its pretty much the only way to beat a large group by yourself, if your surrounded, there isnt much you can do except stand there and be a punching bag.

I despise the idea

Ian

Numerous charges with great lance + lots of patience = the way to defeat a large number of foes alone (at least it is for me :smile:)

Kniggit said:
I dont like the idea of it at all

Say im fighting swad crossbowman, they wear light armour, and if i wore my full black and they sprint and surround me,im pretty much screwed, even if i killed the men around me, there would still be a few of those little bastards sniping me, and when i go to kill the They sprint backawards, makin it a hit and run.

Plus stamina bars and stuff remind me of morrowind, everytime yo got hit you lost fatigue, which was the stamina.

Erid-Way said:
Do you really think jogging backwards swinging constantly, indefinitely. until you manage to take down your enemies is cool?

Its pretty much the only way to beat a large group by yourself, if your surrounded, there isnt much you can do except stand there and be a punching bag.

I despise the idea

Ian

i don't understand how the scenario you describe is any different from what already happens in the game. You already are slower than the crossbowmen in that situation, they already can run faster than you and surround you, etc...

It's not like you're giving one side an advantage over the other side, (though it does take away some of the advantage of heavy armor, but I think that's a good thing)

And finally, as this seems to be a pretty strictly reality based game concept, artificially limiting the movement speed of the lightly armored individuals is counterintuitive. Just because it would make the heavy armor less effective does not seem to me to be sufficient reason to block the implementation of the feature.

Kniggit said:

assuming youre on foot, then wear light armor too so you can out-maneuver them? one of the goals of the proposed system is to make light armor just as tacticly viable as heavy armor. heavy armor = takes more hits, light armor = fight longer and more effectively.

someone mentioned that damage should drain stamina, which is a good idea, but make it so the more damage you take, the more stamina is drained. that means that if youre using light armor and arnt careful, you could take a few heavy hits and that could impact your performance more then getting hit in heavy armor.

and what okin said, making encumbrance affect how much stamina it takes to perform actions does make more sence. the end result would be the same, with less encumbrance/lighter armor enabling you to fight longer and harder.

some really good ideas here people, keep them coming.

If endurance affected attack speed (the more tired you are, the slower your combat will be) then it'd be a really nice thing to see added...if you're a fully armored knight on foot then you'd stand better chance vs a rushing horde since you could always hope that they will tire a bit and become slower...

Constant fighting should IMO also drain endurance then...AND morale should be a factor as well....higher morale = slower stamina drain from your fighters or something like that...right now I don't really see much of a difference with morale at all when fighting...

I would love to see a stamina system implemented. However, I don't like the idea of stamina bars and such cluttering up the screen; it would be much more authentic to hear your character breathing. At rest, it is silent; with exertion, you begin to hear your breathing (and then heartbeat) get harder, faster and louder until you're panting for air - pace yourself, and it steadies.

I'm thinking of the breathing system in Operation Flashpoint as an excellent example.

What?? Please go back and read my post: I said louder as you exert. If you don't know how loud your own breathing / heart beat can pound in your ears during intense physical exertion, I think you need to go outside and try it.

It's an elegant and immersive solution already proven to work beautifully in other games; we instinctively understand what loud, hard breathing and heart beat means.

The intensity scale just needs to be from silent to very loud. If you're so reluctant to exert that you've never experienced this yourself and still don't want to, I suggest getting one of the many excellent games in the Flashpoint series to see what I mean.

Again, I don't see your point. Considering how loud the music is vs. sound effects, you can crank it up as much as you want - after all, do the other sound effects somehow "ruin" your tunes?

I'm guessing "No."

How would some additional battle sounds in the same volume range then ruin your tunes?

I've customized the m&b soundtrack and enjoy music ingame as well - that doesn't mean all I want to hear is music. It's the combination of battle sounds and fitting music that makes the experience.

Solution to the tune ruining thing: Have another sound slider for the heart beat/ breathing. You could just set it so that it's off, or barely audible even when it's very loud.

Ok, i guess that would be ok

Im usualy a foot soldier kinda guy, and i usually wear heavy armour. My biggest oppoent is Swad Deserters. Usually they spawn in some lil valley and STAY there, and my men wont step up to the ridge to open fire on them, i dont fancy having to run down there by myself, wear my ass down so much i cant even swing at some bolt spewing wanker who can run faster

And dont tell me to wear light armour, i wouldnt last a second against those guys in light, they usually take out my reinforced steel shield quickly

if there was a check box titled "Realistic Effects" that you can activate or deactivate, that would be fine, Realistic Effects would include, stamina, jumping, friendly fire, etc

i dont mlike the idea of bieng pelted with bolts trying to chase dumbasses cuz my men are cowards

Kniggit said:
Ok, i guess that would be ok

Im usualy a foot soldier kinda guy, and i usually wear heavy armour. My biggest oppoent is Swad Deserters. Usually they spawn in some lil valley and STAY there, and my men wont step up to the ridge to open fire on them, i dont fancy having to run down there by myself, wear my ass down so much i cant even swing at some bolt spewing wanker who can run faster

And dont tell me to wear light armour, i wouldnt last a second against those guys in light, they usually take out my reinforced steel shield quickly

if there was a check box titled "Realistic Effects" that you can activate or deactivate, that would be fine, Realistic Effects would include, stamina, jumping, friendly fire, etc

i dont mlike the idea of bieng pelted with bolts trying to chase dumbasses cuz my men are cowards

See now that sounds like a good experience to me :smile: I think I can see where we differ on this... I think it is a good thing that some enemies are better suited to oppose you than others. That kind of mismatch is exactly what I like about this scenario.
In your particular case, I would think that the answer would be to take a horse with you into battle against the Swads. Even if sprinting were enabled, the horse would allow you to close with your opponent without having to switch to a lighter set of armor. You can always dismount from your horse if you don't like to fight that way.

I think that if you design the game in such a way that a heavily armored knight wielding a lance and riding a warhorse will ALWAYS have an advantage against ALL other troop types, then everyone will probabably build the same character. But if you have a troop type that is strong against the heavily armored knight, then it is no longer a simple decision to go with that equipment loadout, and the balancing of disadvantages is precisely what will make the game fun.

I would think that the answer would be to take a horse with you into battle against the Swads.

If i ride bt and swing at them they shoot me in the back, still useless

Ive even tried to get Swadian Sergeants to charge them, but most of them didnt have shields and they died, i eventually left the battle and got more men and came back to fight another day

Ive even tried to just ride aroun in circles and shoot them, but i always get my horse stuck on a rock, then im standing still, easy target for 7 or 8 crossbowmen...

To be perfectly honest, I wouldnt want to try to approach 8 crossbowman across open terrain in real life. Would be a very bad idea I think.

Best solution for this might be to equip your troops with shields and horses, but if I'm not mistaken the game doesn't support this yet.
You might alternately take an equal sized force equipped with crossbows and try a ranged battle......
?

I admit that I haven't played the game enough yet to know what is possible, I can't even figure out how to couch my lance yet!
:razz:

I think a lot of you are pretty much saying "I don't want stamina because then I wouldn't be able to dominate the battlefild using my current tactics". Just realise that it provides another important variable to combat and can only make things more interesting and enjoyable.

And yes, I want a more tangible advantage to wearing light armor over plate mail.

You might alternately take an equal sized force equipped with crossbows and try a ranged battle

I have been doin this for 7 days now (real days) But sometimes i get this map that has a nice cliff and then a river, my men are usually at the top and the enemy in the rive, you think this would be a tactical advantage, but not when my men wont come any closer than 50 feet to the edge, I usually just drop back and reload. I guess i soved my own problem

but you are basiccly going to make heavy armour obsolete unless you are on horseback

Back
Top Bottom