Modding Q&A [For Quick Questions and Answers]

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sauron_mate said:
How exactly do you give camel a different sound instead of having a horse sound?
99.5% sure that you can't. This is where a clever person like MadVader comes along and corrects me.

Theodoor said:
I am making a mod for NW, not warband.
When I add a faction to module_factions it all looks fine. But when I host a game on multi-player, the new faction just changes in Austria....
Does anyone know how to fix this?
Although I'm not really versed in NW modding, I don't think that it's possible to add factions, only replace existing ones.

Jarvisimo said:
Sauron_mate said:
How exactly do you give camel a different sound instead of having a horse sound?
99.5% sure that you can't. This is where a clever person like MadVader comes along and corrects me.
:smile:
You can get around it like TLD did (it has wargs and horses).
1. You play a dummy, silent sound file for some of the hardcoded sounds ("neigh","horse_snort","horse_low_whinny")
2. You make a mission trigger to occasionally (and randomly) play horse and camel sounds for the mount agent depending on what is it

I seem to have forgotten how to transfer a scene from one mod to another via module system. I transferred the scene.obj file from one to the other and placed the terrain code in the scenes.py file, I alos altered the outter terrain.  No compiling errors, but the scene that is suppose to change remains the old native scene.

Any hints, I can't believe I forgot how to do this.

Figured it out, I was transferring castle 6 instead of 5

Getting an error after setting aristocracies.

Code:
SCRIPT ERROR ON OPCODE 520: Invalid Troop ID: -1; LINE NO: 2:
At script: npc_decision_checklist_male_guardian_assess_suitor.
SCRIPT ERROR ON OPCODE 2173: Invalid Troop ID: -1; LINE NO: 3:
SCRIPT ERROR ON OPCODE 2190: Invalid Troop ID: -1; LINE NO: 10:
SCRIPT ERROR ON OPCODE -2147483108: Invalid Troop ID: -1; LINE NO: 50:

Can shields have abundance as I don't want this many shields to appear for sale, I don't see any other shields having any so is it possible.

Shields can have an abundance, but to lower their overall frequency with traders, find this line in the code:
(troop_add_merchandise_with_faction, ":cur_merchant", ":cur_faction", itp_type_shield, 6),

And you'll know what to do.

A desperate cry for help to everyone: I am having conversations with myself about politics and finances. Please, help me. This is not supposed to happen. However, when I go home, it never happens. When I travel to another location however, I start talking to myself and thinking that I am my own chamberlain, chancellor, minister or whatever. I try to "release" myself from duty, I ocnvince myself that I no longer need myself. However, it doesn't work, only my dialogue options change a bit.
Yeah, barely coherent, but the problem lies in something Diplomacy-related that I've done to game_start. When I visit a settlement I own, everything is OK. However, when I attempt to enter a town that is not my own, I get a dialogue with myself, as I already outlined above. Exiting this dialogue leads me to the generic "You have eno****ered X, you've got Y troops" menu, with X being the town I'm trying to enter. Clever debug checks show me that when the dialogues occur, the scripts aren't even getting to mnu_castle_outside, and on top of everything, I can't find the reason for this behaviour. Neither (vaguely) looking at the Diplomacy code has helped, nor my discovery that it's linked with game_start: As some of you may remember, I completely re-wrote the game_start script in order to make it better (yes, it did have a ****load of useless iterations over the same things in it). I however copied every operation word for word and simply rearranged them into loops in a better manner, combining everything into only a few loops and not twenty. Replacing this modified version with the original one led to this error (seemingly) disappearing, but all the performance bonuses were gone as well.
The problem may also be caused by the fact that I replaced every fac_neutral in module_parties (only in the towns, castles, and villages ranges of course) to their respective original factions in order to speed my things up. I don't know whether this could be the source of problems though.

If you've reached this point, thanks for reading, and please help in any way you can. I'm pret-ty desperate (and a bit frustrated) here. Even replies like "I've got no idea whatsoever" and "The giant alien fish on the moon are the problem" are more helpful than silence. And if someone points me into the bullseye of the issue, they can think themselves promoted to the highest Contributor rank in the TBS multiplayer, if I ever get to finishing that thing. You'll also be entitled to five free copies of every computer game I develop in my lifetime and to a free copy of my book (it will unfortunately have to be in Bulgarian if it never gets translated to English, ha-ha) when it comes out.
Please, comrades. I need your help.

Lumos said:
A desperate cry for help to everyone: I am having conversations with myself about politics and finances. Please, help me. This is not supposed to happen. However, when I go home, it never happens. When I travel to another location however, I start talking to myself and thinking that I am my own chamberlain, chancellor, minister or whatever. I try to "release" myself from duty, I ocnvince myself that I no longer need myself. However, it doesn't work, only my dialogue options change a bit.
Yeah, barely coherent, but the problem lies in something Diplomacy-related that I've done to game_start. When I visit a settlement I own, everything is OK. However, when I attempt to enter a town that is not my own, I get a dialogue with myself, as I already outlined above. Exiting this dialogue leads me to the generic "You have eno****ered X, you've got Y troops" menu, with X being the town I'm trying to enter. Clever debug checks show me that when the dialogues occur, the scripts aren't even getting to mnu_castle_outside, and on top of everything, I can't find the reason for this behaviour. Neither (vaguely) looking at the Diplomacy code has helped, nor my discovery that it's linked with game_start: As some of you may remember, I completely re-wrote the game_start script in order to make it better (yes, it did have a ****load of useless iterations over the same things in it). I however copied every operation word for word and simply rearranged them into loops in a better manner, combining everything into only a few loops and not twenty. Replacing this modified version with the original one led to this error (seemingly) disappearing, but all the performance bonuses were gone as well.
The problem may also be caused by the fact that I replaced every fac_neutral in module_parties (only in the towns, castles, and villages ranges of course) to their respective original factions in order to speed my things up. I don't know whether this could be the source of problems though.

If you've reached this point, thanks for reading, and please help in any way you can. I'm pret-ty desperate (and a bit frustrated) here. Even replies like "I've got no idea whatsoever" and "The giant alien fish on the moon are the problem" are more helpful than silence. And if someone points me into the bullseye of the issue, they can think themselves promoted to the highest Contributor rank in the TBS multiplayer, if I ever get to finishing that thing. You'll also be entitled to five free copies of every computer game I develop in my lifetime and to a free copy of my book (it will unfortunately have to be in Bulgarian if it never gets translated to English, ha-ha) when it comes out.
Please, comrades. I need your help.

Instead of going crazy about it you could take a few days off and enjoy the summer and then, with a clear head, come back and solve it.
Go to Dalboka, ignore the swarms of romanians coming from Vama Veche and have some nice oysters.

I had a sh*tload of problems like this when I was introducing the factions and I had too many loose ends. At some point I remember I tried to add a line in some file and it f*cked up everything. I was talking to myself too. I came to the conclusion that modifying that folder is a NO as it seemed to have all the code lines listed somewhere so if you added an extra one it shifted the whole list. Unfortunately this was in November I think and I forgot which file. It was frustrating because I remember I could add code in some places of the file while in other places it would cause serious errors. Even comments would cause this.

Good luck!

MadVader said:
Something bad happens in script_game_event_party_encounter?
Your locations seem to lack a party type slot definition.
The script is untouched and I do assign the party types to everything. However I noticed that this oddity occurs only when entering towns, and neither castles nor villages seem to suffer from it. However, I do need the towns for a lot of things on top of the usual M&B stuff, so leaving it like this is absolutely out of the question. :smile:
Does this give you any more ideas of where I've been wrongdiong, Vader (and anybody else)?

Dawiduh said:
Go to Dalboka, ignore the swarms of romanians coming from Vama Veche and have some nice oysters.
I believe I've actually been there once. The first and only time I've ever tasted clams/oysters/mussels/whatever the correct word is. They were freaking delicious.
But alas, my friend, taking a break is not my modus operandi (Sam Vimes hates me for using this phrase). I'd rather scrap the whole script. :smile:

MadVader said:
Shields can have an abundance, but to lower their overall frequency with traders, find this line in the code:
(troop_add_merchandise_with_faction, ":cur_merchant", ":cur_faction", itp_type_shield, 6),

And you'll know what to do.

Im guessing that number is how much appears, I'll just reduce that 6 to 2 then. Thanks, I found a line similar to this one in the triggers sicne M&B and Warband are slightly different in the module system.

How can you make a faction show up in the faction relation screen on diplomacy right?  I added a new faction and in that relation screen it says the right name on the right but on the top it just says bandits... How can I fix this...

I haven't touched diplomacy, but I did add a bunch of factions, including manhunters, various bandits and w/e on native. I just had to do minor changes in the module_game_menus, and module_constants if I recall. Just be sure to set up a new range with slots to add additional factions on the report. Don't alter the current slots being used, unless it's factions that should own land, otherwise they'll just be defeated after a days game time, and vanish from the faction relation report.

Code:
"faction_relations_report"

Hopefully that helps in some way.

Lanister said:
I haven't touched diplomacy, but I did add a bunch of factions, including manhunters, various bandits and w/e on native. I just had to do minor changes in the module_game_menus, and module_constants if I recall. Just be sure to set up a new range with slots to add additional factions on the report. Don't alter the current slots being used, unless it's factions that should own land, otherwise they'll just be defeated after a days game time, and vanish from the faction relation report.

Code:
"faction_relations_report"

Hopefully that helps in some way.

Thanks for helping me.
I went in game menus and constants but couldn't figure out what to change

Its a faction that owns land not manhunters or something, and I'm specifically talking about diplomacy. You know in that graph thing where it shows the factions relations with each other not only the player relation?

Why do Native banner textures appear so much higher definition on heraldic shields and armour than my own?
Is there a separate file for heraldic shield textures?

I don't think they are higher definition, They're just simpler and flowing so they look nice, Complexity looks kinda bad on that sheet.

Jarvisimo said:
Why do Native banner textures appear so much higher definition on heraldic shields and armour than my own?
Is there a separate file for heraldic shield textures?
That's because the way native handle heraldics. Native use Banner mesh to cover the heraldic parts of armors/shield. The problem is banner's texture's blended with cloth-like effect. It's nice for the banner and still acceptable for cloth armors, but it will seems odds when applied to plate armors, shield (mostly woods).
The solution is to make the heraldic texture free from cloth-like texture, and then use it as heraldic mask for armors, shield and banners just like it done with custom banner. Native doesn't do heraldic masking for banner and map flags, it simply change them with the banner/flag with proper texture. 
The positive side effect is we will free up to +150 map icons.

dunde said:
That's because the way native handle heraldics. Native use Banner mesh to cover the heraldic parts of armors/shield. The problem is banner's texture's blended with cloth-like effect. It's nice for the banner and still acceptable for cloth armors, but it will seems odds when applied to plate armors, shield (mostly woods).
The solution is to make the heraldic texture free from cloth-like texture, and then use it as heraldic mask for armors, shield and banners just like it done with custom banner. Native doesn't do heraldic masking for banner and map flags, it simply change them with the banner/flag with proper texture. 
The positive side effect is we will free up to +150 map icons.
Dunde, while I'd really like to use your neat and simple version of custom banners, could you please tell me how I can have my factions use regular banners that are not custom?

Now my question here. I'm fiddling with custom skeletons (it's a seeeeecret) and I've got animations with more bones than usual. The game however doesn't do anything when I do (agent_set_animation) on such an agent with a new race and a new skeleton (with more than the human's bones). Am I missing something here? :smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom