Neverwinter Nights (I), problems with Vista?

Users who are viewing this thread

Aqtai

Sergeant Knight at Arms
I have not played Neverwinter Nights for about 4 years, but I recently decided to install it on my laptop and give it another go. (I never finished it)

I installed the game without problems, unfortunately it does not want to start. I remember having a similar problem with KOTOR II, and it was someone on this forum who suggested that there were compatibility issues with Windows Vista.

Is this the same problem again? does NWN I have Vista issues? And if that is the case, is there a fix out there? I downloaded all the updates, but it still does not work.

Thanks. :smile:

I don't think it does, I installed it on Vista a few months back myself. I had problems with crashing, but that was because the computer it was on, was a POS.

Works fine for me under Vista. Is it giving you an error, or just not starting?

Oh, and how did you patch? IIRC there's issues with the autopatcher on both NWN games (or rather, Bioware used iterative patches and then built an updater which only tries to download the latest patch. Silly sods).

The only time I ever played it was on Vista, so I can't imagine what your problem is.

Aqtai said:
I have not played Neverwinter Nights for about 4 years, but I recently decided to install it on my laptop and give it another go. (I never finished it)

I installed the game without problems, unfortunately it does not want to start. I remember having a similar problem with KOTOR II, and it was someone on this forum who suggested that there were compatibility issues with Windows Vista.

Is this the same problem again? does NWN I have Vista issues? And if that is the case, is there a fix out there? I downloaded all the updates, but it still does not work.

Thanks. :smile:

I recently installed NWN plus SoU and HotU onto my laptop, and had no problems, though it runs XP, not Vista. You could try downloading the critical rebuild and installing that, which is what I had to do. But if it was actually required, it would tell you to d/l the critical rebuild.

Thanks for all the replies.

Unpatched it starts then crashes after the end of the intro film (the one with the warrior fighting a minotaur) and I get the Vista message "this programme has stopped working..." or words to that effect.

I was unable to patch it the normal way, so I used the critical rebuild thing and it does not start at all. :sad:

Alex_Augmented said:
Assuming you haven't done this already,

Right click, and Run as Administrator.

Thanks, I'll try that. :smile:

Edit:
I tried it and it worked. Thanks again. :smile:

Back
Top Bottom