Frequently Asked Questions

Users who are viewing this thread

wickedshot

Sergeant Knight
Frequently Asked Questions

How do I claim a settlement?
If the settlement is Unclaimed, you can just choose the option "Claim this settlement for myself."
If the settlement is owned by the Peasant Faction, you need atleast 50 relation with the settlement, and then you can claim it peacefully with "Claim this settlement for my faction" if you're the King/Queen of your faction.
If the settlement is bandit (or kingdom) owned, you must "Fight the current owners" and then after you've beaten them you can claim it.

How do I make a Hero join me?
As free heroes still part of the adventurer faction, heroes will spend their time hanging around their settlement (occasionally visiting too), roaming the countryside randomly, and chasing bandits.
If you help a hero in a fight, you'll gain relation with them.  Bribing them gains +10 relation with them.  Hanging out in the same scene (in an actual scene like at a settlement, not just on the overland map) with a hero will also improve your relation with them.
You need double the heroes level in relation to get them to join you.  Check the Heroes of the Custom Settlements Thread to get an idea of their starting level (it may have increased over time).  Also note you need enough room in your party for all of their party.

How do I make a Steward?
Once your settlement has a Castle (military level 2), talk to one of your companions inside your castle building (first enter the settlement scene, then find the door to the castle and enter that).  Note that your top 2 heroes in the party list follow you into the castle and other buildings.

How do I claim more settlements for my faction?
You need to be a King/Queen to start claiming extra settlements for your faction.  To become a King/Queen you must upgrade your settlement to Economy Level 2 and Military Level 2, i.e. a Castle Town.  Then if you defeat the opposition of another settlement you can "Claim Settlement for Faction," or, if the settlement belongs to the Peasant Faction and you have 50+ relation with the settlement, you can claim it peacefully.

How do I make a Lord/Lady?
After you've claimed other settlements, either talk to one of your companions at the settlement you want to give them, or inside your own castle.

How do I make a Caravan?
You need Economy level 2, atleast 1 trade skill (you can make 1 caravan per trade skill point) and atleast 1 trade route to make caravans.  Just talk to one of your merchants to make a caravan when you meet the requirements (costs 1000 gold each).

How do I make a Patrol?
You need Military level 2, atleast 1 leadership (you can make 1 patrol per leadership skill point) and a steward to make caravans.  Just talk to your steward and "Enlist a patrol" when you meet the requirements (costs 1000 gold each).

How do I get resources?
Your population (peasants, farmers, quarrmen, etc.) will get resources for you, but only 1 time a month.  So wait 30 days.  You can also gain resources by raiding other settlements, tho they're not likely to have any unless its bit atleast a month.

How do I declare war on a faction? Peace?
Currently, to make war, simply get negative relations by attacking the faction.  Your own faction will do as you do.  To make peace you can try helping them out in fights.

What are these "EmptXXX" settlements?  How do I edit them?
Those are empty settlements that players who know how to use the scene editor can use to create their own new settlements from scratch.  Do not make such as the players settlement.  If you'd like to edit them then be sure to read the Settlement Scene Making Guide Thread.

Are there other factions available (like the Swadians, Nords, etc..) or do I have the only one?
Other factions are created when a settlement owned by a hero becomes a Castle Town.

When choosing faction culture, what does "custom" choice mean?  Will I get some of each of the other factions (Swadian, Vaegir, etc)?
The custom faction is just swadian if you haven't edited anything.  Theres a short guide in the second post of the main thread about adding in your own custom troops.  If you did such then you could use your own custom troop line by choosing the custom option.  If you don't edit it the Custom Culture will be empty troops called "Nothings" that are naked, so they're not ideal unless you're into that sort of thing heh.

How do I train more troops or gatherers at a time?
The higher your training skill is, the more troops or gatherers you'll train each round.  Trade skill also improves the number of gatherers you train.

What are the ways I can get troops?
You can train your own peasants into troops in your settlement.  If your settlements corruption is higher than 50 you can hire bandits for money.  If you have enough money you can pay mercenary bands to join you (higher relations and persuasion skill with them gains you a discount, buying groups of them increases your relation with them).  Adventurer parties will join you if they like you enough.

Wheres the best place to find items early on?
Generally Custow is the most likely place you'll find shops and items early on.

How do I turn on Cheats?
Press the Camp button on the world map, you can then choose the option to turn on Cheats.  One particularly useful cheat is the "Wait Quickly" option that appears in "Edit Settlement (Cheat)" as it speeds up time significantly.

Where do I send a donation to for the hard work?
The simplest way for my purposes is gift cards through Amazon.com to my email address [email protected]
The exact section of amazon for such a thing is https://www.amazon.com/gp/gc/order-email/ref=g_gc-dp_lp_email

New Questions added as people ask questions.  If you think of a commonly asked question post it here.

Play Guides

Somewhat outdated on some things as they were made in earlier versions.

Terms used:
Productivity: the quality of the workers from 0 to 100.
Workforce: total number of civilians + prisoners
Population: total number of non-military troops (currently, peasants and crafters only)
Corruption: higher corruption is generally bad, reduces your profits.

Two general upgrade paths:
Build personal structures and fortifications (military)
Build public structures (economy)

Three levels of economy:
None, Village, Town
Three levels of military:
None, Manor, Castle

To upgrade a level of military or economy has certain requirements found under menu option "Manage settlement", for example:
To upgrade to the first level of economy (i.e. build housing for a village), you need a civilian population of 50, and 5000 gold, and then to wait 15ish days

Raising Production, Prosperity, and Relation with settlement with (#) being highest you'll get doing just that:
Bring Cattle to the settlement.  Adds Prod (80), Prosp (80), and Relation (80).
Bring tools for the peasants.  Adds Prod(50).
Crafter training.  Adds Prod (50).
Caravans coming.  Adds Prosp (90), only adds bonus once per day max.
Peasants joining the settlement.  Adds Prod (25), Prosp (25), Relation (50).  To get peasants to come to your settlement you must have a relation of 2 or more with the village you're trying to get them from, and your relation will go down by 2 when they come with you (idea being the people of the village that like you are the ones that come).

Effects of Production, Prosperity, and Relation with settlement:
Determines profits generated by settlement, with heaviest influence being prosperity.  Population and Workforce also affect profits.

In scene bonuses:
Outdoor Scenes:  Patrolling around lowers corruption; time spent in outdoor scenes improves party morale (higher bonus with higher leadership skill) and relation with settlement;  as time goes on more random encounters can happen, including wander peasant who you can convince to join your settlement, and hostile looters and the like (if not dealt with they'll raise corruption).
Indoor Scenes:
Manor:  Your hero companions spend their downtime in here, and when you join them you increase your relation with them and they become more forgiving of other party members who they may not like (making them less likely to quit).  Also increases part morale.
Castle:  Spending time in your castle lowers the settlements corruption.  Also increases party morale.
Tavern:  Spending time in your tavern increases party morale the fastest, remember to look upstairs too as there may be more companions.  Can buy drinks to increase settlement relation and can hire mercenaries and companions as usual.
Prison: Need ideas for here, atm only benefit is you can go enjoy the stripped down prisoners including lord prisoners heh.

Outdoor scenes current random encounters:
Bandits: will gather at a bandit camp, on appearance corruption increases by 1, on death corruption lowers by 1, relations with settlement improve, party morale improves.  If confronted you'll have to fight them.
Subdued (knocking unconscious) looters and thieves adds them to settlement prisoners.
Wandering Travellers:  a peasant man or travellers and their upgrades, if he's gotten close enough to the settlement to see it and the prosperity is good, you can ask him to stay and he'll invite his family to come too, adding 2-8 peasants to your settlement.

Extra Characters in outscenes based on Economic/Military levels:
Econ1:  A peasant elder, no uses as of yet.  Mercenaries can be found by the camp and hired as like when in tavern.
Econ2: Horse merchant and General merchant, can buy and sell as usual.
Mili1:  Weaponsmith.
Mili2:  Armorsmith.

Overland Map bonuses:
Battles fought nearby have an option to "Lure enemies near settlement" which places the fight at your settlement and gives you up to 30 extra troops aid from the settlement.  Any prisoners from the fight will be directly added to the settlement, as will any freed prisoners as troops.

Overland over time bonuses:
Profits once a month.
Settlement growth once a month: for every 50 peasants/crafters you'll get a few new peasants coming of age (need econ1), and for every 100 you'll get a townsfolk (need econ2).

New Troop Trees:
Thief>Bandit>Forest Bandit>Assassin (female)
Thief>Bandit>Steppe Bandit>Free Lancer (female)
Looter>Raider>Mountain Raider>Blackguard (male)
Looter>Raider>Sea Raider>Stormrazer (male)
Traveller upgrade paths:
Traveller>Adventurer>Protector>Royal Guard (male)
Voyager>Adventuress>Protectress>Paladin (female)

That's most of the less big things I can think of on quick perusal of the code.  Currently Corruption doesn't do all the much, but I've got plans to make higher corruption allow more nefarious options like hiring bandits and the like, and low corruption + high honor make paladins and such likely to visit and become hireable.

New guides (as of 0.67)

How to install this mod (by Koror)

How to make custom troop tree (by Datver)

Since this is the questions topic, i've got one :razz:

I've just started out a new char and seem's the peasant faction is -20 (no idea what caused it maybe i killed some peasants, or maybe it caused it bcause i had 4 bandits inmy party?)
Now what way can i use to raise it above 0??

I'd like to know :smile:

You need to help peasant faction wherever you see it fighting. And then it will be only a gain of 1 point per fight. Terribly slow, but afaik it's the only way right now. Having bandits in your party couldn't have caused it but I remember my relations dropped by 10 in one game as well and I'm not sure why. It's best to be careful when attacking, raiding and fighting.
So remember - don't piss off the peasants unless you want to become their errand boy(or girl).

oh i remember why it begun -20 bcause i was traveling to an settlement and before i was there they took it over so i fought em off :smile: and that caused -20..

Thx, i knew the answer.. but not now :S you reminded my :smile: thx again

Staying near your settlement keeps corruption down.
Getting a steward for your settlement lowers corruption.
Killing bandits lowers corruption
Patrolling your settlement (riding around the scene) lowers corruption.
Spending time inside your castle lowers corruption.

Doesn't "root out of conspirators" work too? It sets corruption to 0, but lowers relation to your settlement.

wickedshot said:
Staying near your settlement keeps corruption down.
Getting a steward for your settlement lowers corruption.
Killing bandits lowers corruption
Patrolling your settlement (riding around the scene) lowers corruption.
Spending time inside your castle lowers corruption.
Thanks wicked.
but in the version before, the only thing I had to do, was staying in the settlement (on worldmap). It completely stopped corruption from growing.
And now after having the new version installed, it seems to be impossible to influence corruption anymore.
It constantly increases by 1 every two or three days. The only thing I can do (as you and the others already mentioned), is decreasing it afterwards by beating up my villagers or patrolling around the scenes, waiting 5 - 30 minutes for 1 - 2 bandit/s to show up in order to eliminate them and decrease corruption that way. It truly gets anoying after a time.
Staying near or in the settlement on worldmap, doesn't have any noticeable effect on corruption growth. (At least in case of dartmoor.)
Well, I guess I simply have to get used to it.
However. This mod rules. :wink:

There is no hero in it. I got two heroes in my party. Can't even give them to settlement, but that ain't a problem though. Furthermore I decided to keep my settlement clean of prisoners, because I thought they would raise corruption.
Negative. :sad:

You don't give heroes to the settlement the same way you give troops to it.
The only way right now to "give a hero" to your settlement is making him your steward.
As for a hero raising your corruption, it won't be on your settlement forever, but sometimes, a visiting hero can raise your corruption, if he have a trait that does this (and if this trait is already implemented).

Evening all...

I just started with this mod last night, and I have an issue I can't seem to get past at the moment...Here's my issue:

I took over an unclaimed settlement at the beginning of the game, and have been recruiting unhapppy peasants like a madman, to the point where my little settlement has about 200 residents, a sizeable (60+) garrison, almost zero corruption, and an even compliment of lumberjacks/jills, /quarrymen/women, Farmers, Craftsmen and peasants...I also have about 15 prisoners slaving away in the quarry for me hewing out stone like mad to pay for their crimes.

I went to the Castle City, spoke to the merchants there, and established a caravan route with them, and have purchased tools and trade materials to provide my workers the things they need to do what they do, and have stuffed the chest in my settlement to bursting with tools Iron ingots, and extra food that my people should be able to access. 

HOWEVER... when I check my stockpiles, stone = 0, Lumber = 0, Food = -17...and I don't see caravans travelling to my settlement from the Walled city. 

What have I done wrong?

Regards,

Enth

Did the first month go past? Like native each week the wages needed to be paid, here it is each month that the settlement gets resources/food.

So what you can do is wait till the first month is past, but since you got 200 ppl i think a month should be passed already, maybe you've taken out the food and peasants use food. But if you got enough farmers it shouldn't be a problem.

I  think it's only been about 3 weeks of game time, thought I'm not going to know until I get back home this evening and verify how much time has elapsed.  I'll let you know what has happened when I get back on later.

E.

As far as taking out food, I've been buying food and bringing it back to the settlement and placing it in the settlement's warchest along with tools and resources (Iron/wool/salt/linen/velvet)...so I don't think that they would be starving.  Also...whenever I ask someone in my town if there's anything that I can do for them, they all tell me that "Everything's Fine, my Lord...". So I guess that they are happy.

Back
Top Bottom