Oblivion Install problems

Users who are viewing this thread

tamuli

Knight at Arms
I've had the game sitting here for awhile, never played it. I just tried to install it and got this error message:
Feature:  Oblivion
Component:      Oblivion
File:                  E:\data7.cab
Error                  Data error (cyclic redundancy check)

Btw it's elderscrolls.
Does anyone know what's wrong?

CRC error means there was a problem reading from the disk. Try cleaning it. If it doesn't work, try copying the entire disk to your hard drive and running install from there, sometimes it works.

Also possible that your optical drive is just old, and can't read a new disc with weird copy protection.  You may want to check the manufacturer's website for a new firmware to flash.

:sad: http://www.metacafe.com/watch/506140/clean_any_scratched_cd_or_dvd_with_ease/
Didn't work...
Saber Cherry said:
Also possible that your optical drive is just old, and can't read a new disc with weird copy protection.  You may want to check the manufacturer's website for a new firmware to flash.
My friend has the same computer and it works fine for him, it's only a year old.

I know the solution. Copy the disk to your computer and make a ISO of it with MagicISO. After that,install Daemon Tools and enable all security stuff. Then mount the iso to daemon tools's virtual disk and install. A paragraph about this error:

Tealshark - Civfanatics Forum said:
Welcome to the wonderful world of SafeDisc v2 copy protection, a protection scheme so irritating, it even messes with legit owners!

Long story short, your CD drive could be one that chokes on Macrovision's subchannel data dealie, making part of the CD invisible to the installation routine and crashing you out because it thinks you have a poorly copied CD-R version of the game.

If you have a real factory-pressed Civ3 CD, the best you can do is ensure you have up-to-date firmware for your drive installed and give it another go. If it still fails, be sure to thank the good folks at Macrovision and the drive and game manufacturers pressured in to thinking this was a convenient way to protect their software. :smile:

If I have any facts wrong here, by all means please correct me. :smile:

... and good luck to those with installation problems.

if that does not fix the problem,say bye to that disk.

PS: It is probably the same thing of those "Data3.CAB" errors,you know,main install files are on that thing and that thing is copy protected with a dll and the dll is protected by itself. It's probably the copy protection error. Believe me it WILL fix. It does not,sorry mate.

Winterfest said:
(paraphrase) Macrovision is evil
Basically, that's my guess, too.  But if it works on your friend's computer, you might try this:

Copy the disk image to your friend's HDD, then burn that image to a new blank - this is a legal 'fair-use' backup.  Delete the image from your friend's HDD.  Install the game on your computer from the CD-R (or DVD-R) disk.

I doubt Winterfest's solution will solve the problem if your drive cannot correctly read the disk.  This solution also may not work, though.

As a last resort, you can physically copy the Oblivion folders from your friend's computer, and put your own serial key in the appropriate registry key, but registry hacking is notoriously difficult.

I still suggest you update your firmware.

I should mention that I got lots of CRC errors when installing World of Warcraft, and it installed very slowly (what utter morons, putting copy protection on a subscription game!), but on the third try it installed correctly.

I would expect Macrovision stores the serial integrated with a hardware hash (like Themida--which Mount&Blade uses--and various other systems), meaning it can't be copied between computers; even if these computers have the exact same hardware specifications the hardware serials will differ, meaning the hardware hash surely won't match.

The CRC check failing doesn't mean his drive is unable to copy the disc, however. DVDs store data in a standard format that all drives can understand; the problem is that Macrovision reads disc sectors in a non-standard manner in an attempt to identify an imperfect copy. Unfortunately, certain drives are unable to read sectors in the manner the copy protection system demands, and so when enough checks fail it decides you must be a filthy, greedy pirate. Updating the firmware may or may not fix this.

Programs capable of making a perfect 1:1 clone of a disc copy the data from the disc in a standard manner (meaning drive support shouldn't be an issue) and lay out the sectors exactly as they appear on the real thing (which is what copy protection systems are checking for). Emulation programs are able to support the unusual reading methods copy protection systems demand; as long as the disc was cloned correctly and the virtual drive is cloaked it will hopefully install without any further problems. Once you have successfully installed the game you may be able to run it from your real disc, but it could be that it still does some basic CRC checks that your drive will fail to accomplish. If this is the case you will have to use the virtual drive any time you want to play it. Of course the other option is to buy a new drive capable of supporting these unusual reading methods, but having to do that in order to play one game is just ridiculous. This also wouldn't help if the next game you get instead complains about having Nero installed, or devours activations when you make a hardware or software change, or any number of other situations beyond your control.

EDIT: another option is to buy the digital version from Direct2Drive, and then sell the physical version to a friend or on eBay or whatever. Direct2Drive doesn't use your optical drive, so that version should install fine.

And remember boys and girls, copy protection only harms those filthy, greedy pirates. It certainly doesn't inconvenience legitimate customers, no no...

Darian said:
DVDs store data in a standard format that all drives can understand; the problem is that Macrovision reads disc sectors in a non-standard manner in an attempt to identify an imperfect copy. Unfortunately, certain drives are unable to read sectors in the manner the copy protection system demands

Specifically, copy-protection such as Macrovision often use false error-correction codes, which make protected discs vastly inferior, less reliable, and shorter-lived than real (made according to the standards) discs.  I don't understand why such discs ever work, but I guess it has to do with the Macrovision driver that is always installed automatically in Windows, which probably reads the disc in RAW mode and emulates their crappy broken ECC processing.  So any optical drive with hardware ECC will be incapable of reading Macrovision discs - but fortunately Macrovision are the good guys, and I imagine that they prevent drive makers from doing hardware ECC since it would break their copy protection (by rendering their discs unreadable).  That last sentence is just my theory, though.

Winterfest said:
I know the solution. Copy the disk to your computer and make a ISO of it with MagicISO. After that,install Daemon Tools and enable all security stuff. Then mount the iso to daemon tools's virtual disk and install.
No it ain't. You can copy the disk straight to your hard drive and install from there without any problems, as long as the disk can be read. Since the CRC error is late in the disk the disk check itself should be fine.

Darian said:
I would expect Macrovision stores the serial integrated with a hardware hash
Oblivion has no serial...

Back
Top Bottom